PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters VS Hout Bay

CaneRat
28th Jan 2004, 19:53
Hout Bay is a community that is becoming increasingly irratated with the number of helicopters operating in its skies.

According to Hout Bay residents, up to 10 helicopters might fly over town in the space of half an hour.

Residents have said that the number of flights had increased and low level flying by some pilots ( trying to earn a tip) caused unacceptable noise.

Some operator around 4th base has started operating from an approved helipad ( licenced) smack in the middle of Hout Bay Waterfront ????? Could this be stirring the hornets nest???

Or could it be over eager pilots from the V&A Waterfront trying to impress clients..??? ( For a Few Dollars More ).

Has anyone ever seen the Huey over Hout Bay??? Guess not...
Good one Francois:ok:

Deanw
28th Jan 2004, 21:07
Check out the 'New EC 120 operating out of Cape Town' thread (last posting was on 27 December 2003.

This is one time the Huey can't be blamed :p , but a recent letter writter in the Cape Times did complain about the noise in Hout Bay, in which the Huey also came in for a bit of stick :suspect:

The operator is Base 4, and according to the huge signboard on the Constantia Nek entrance to Hout Bay, operate out of 'Hout Bay International Airport' :D (For those not of the Cape persuasion, a big marketing campaign many moons ago required visitors to purchase passports to the Republic of Hout Bay to raise funds for charity :cool: )

Long may the whirly things fly :8

clipboard
28th Jan 2004, 21:13
:D Hi Cane Rat

There was an article written by one R. Morris, a Hout Bay Resident, in the Cape Times this past week about the "prostitution" of the helicopter tourism business in Cape Town. Morris proceeded to complain about the Base 4 EC 120 operating out of the harbor, the Ultra light helicopter being flown off a trailer at some Mall in Hout Bay, and the general aviation helicopters that generally cause noise pollution passing overhead or abeam Hout Bay.

Now Morris lives, by admission in the article, "high up on the slopes of Karbonkelberg". From there, according to Morris, the sound travels and echo's down the valley, causing the noise which is frustrating the residents. Morris also complains about low flying along the Karbonkelberg, causing disturbance to birds, wildlife etc.

As you all know, Base 4 really punted the "silence" of the EC 120 they had "bought" for R11.2 million rands, the high technology of the helicopter, and it's whisper quiet engine/blades etc in order to impress the Hout Bay townfolk in order to get operating approval for the Hout Bay pad. (Incidently, the pad was rented from someone who has business rights on that particular facility, and the helicopter business conducted from there DOES NOT carry Council approval - YET!) I have been a passenger on the EC120 with one Captain Arendt at the controls, and the flight took us from Hout Bay past Chapmans Peak, thru Sun Valley around Muizenberg, directly over Constantia Neck, and on the descend from the Neck to the pad. The flight path from the Neck to the pad is on the descend, and no doubt causes noise (echo's) in the valley.

Furthermore, I have often observed Jetrangers and LongRangers flying low level overhead Dijker Island (Seal Island), and then low level past Chapman's Peak and real low level down Long Beach. (Not all helicopter pilots adhere to the noise abatement recommendations of the CT Helicopter Pilot's Noise Abatement Charter.) Elvis' outfit and the Civair helicopters are major culprits!! Light aircraft from CPT International are also major culprits. Low level flying along the beach, low level flying up the Hout Bay Valley etc.

I know for a fact that the Huey was used for some lifting work on Chapman's Peak, and both Oryx's and the Mil 8's have fought fires on the slopes of Karbonkelberg and Klein Leeukopje in the past.

People should realise that the helicopter business will not go away, as it forms a cardinal part of the City's tourism attraction. I do, however agree with Morris, that some pilots do violate the noise abatement proposed operating heights, and that is what's frustrating the residents.

At the end of the day, there is nothing really that can be done about it. Complaints there will always be. Some people love the sound of helicopters, others just hate it. How does one find a happy medium???? Will people EVER really be happy, even if one flies at 4000 feet around the "big rock".

:ok:

George Tower
28th Jan 2004, 22:56
When I'm in Cape Town I stay in the S Suburbs and so am very familiar with the choppers regularly flying overhead. Intertesing that the residents of Constantia, Nordhoek, Fish Hoek, Clifton, Camps Bay et al haven't complained. All this "Republic of Hout Bay" nonesense is just something that I've never bought into. Fair enough I like Hout Bay but take a reality check - your suburb is no better than any others I mentioned in the Peninsula so I don't know where the chip on your shoulder comes from. Civic pride is one thing being pretentious is quite another.

Furthermore given the prevailing South Easter it is not exactly the most comfortable flight to fly low along the Atlantic side of the Peninsula due to turbulance on the lee-side of the Peninsula - another reason why I reckon the complaints are probably exaggerated.

I'm sure the residents of Hout Bay are more than happy to hear the sound of helicopters on those all too frequent occaisions when the mountain is on fire.

Finally I'm sure the residents of Hout Bay are keen to cash in on the dividend that is to be derived from tourists. A flight around the Peninsula is on the to-do list of a large number of visitors, and that has to be encouraged for the benefits of Cape Town as a whole.

CaneRat
28th Jan 2004, 23:31
Hi George Tower, you have hit the nail on the head. Tourists and helicopters go hand in hand which need i mention brings in the boodle $$$$

The issue here is that some pilots, (you know who you are.!!?*&)
like to give their pax a good view, sometimes a little low and all....

Please guys, someone has already mentioned two waterfront operators ...you make your clients happy at the expense of the land lubbers down below.

Elvis...and Nob...oops..Rob, can you read?

bladestrap
29th Jan 2004, 15:37
The Argus carried the story last night. They refer to the issues raised by Mr. Morris. The Hout Bay residents are beginning to get irked by the continuous helicopter noise in their territory, and Mr. Darryl Waterford, the CEO of Base 4 Helicopters, admitted that they have had mixed reaction from the Hout Bay residents about their helicopter operation at the Harbour. Mr. Waterford specifically stated that Base 4 bought a high tech, super quiet helicopter for R11 million to be eco friendly, so that noise pollution would be kept to a minimum. (Like any helicopter, the EC 120 is NOT that quiet. It's certainly quieter, but its still a helicopter.)

One can only but wonder how long it will be before a full scale war against helicopters are launched by Cape Town residents. I hope that the helicopter operators will be aware of the consequences when the "Greenpeace freaks" jump on the bandwagon, and joins the residents in a fight against noise. I promise you it won't be pleasant.

Good luck to you all.

Deanw
29th Jan 2004, 19:19
As long as there are helicopters to be seen, there will be complaints, no matter how quiet they are :*

I remember reading an article some time ago regarding the perceived noise made by helicopters. During the study, even when residents could not physically hear the sound of a helicopter overhead, they still complained of the noise because they could SEE the helicopter :sad: See helicopter = noice = complaint!

We'll never get rid of complaints, just manage them to a minimum and fly responsibly.