PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Zeus 5200 video card

Fubaar
28th Jan 2004, 17:40
Son No 1 brought home some flash new game that needed a heavier video card than my current setup has, so (stoopid) dad buys a Galaxy Zeus 5200, which the man in KL said would cope with high demand video games.

Stuck it in - blank screen on boot up. Asked around and was told the problem probably was not enough power (my computer has a 250 watt power supply). So I bought a rather expensive 350 watt power supply and put that into my machine.

Same result.

I haven't tried stripping the computer down to a basic setup using the 350 watt power supply, mainly because if I have to remove all the bits and pieces I normally have attached, I'm not interested in using the Zeus 5200. Question is, do I have a dicky card, or is that particular video card likely to need more than 350 watts to run 2 HDs, a CD Rom and a ZIP drive?

P3, ASUS A7A mother board, 512 mb RAM.

goates
28th Jan 2004, 22:02
350 watts should be enough for that setup. Do you have any info on what type of AGP slot is on your motherboard? The 5200 video card needs an AGP 8x slot, and won't work in an AGP 1x or 2x slot, and may work in an AGP 4x slot.

As a side note, a GeForceFX 5200 is not going to last very long as a gaming card as it's already slower than the previous generation of video cards like the Titanium 4200. The 5200's are severely stripped down versions of the mainstream cards.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jan 2004, 07:16
Fubaar,

As goates said, it will work with a 4X AGP Slot but it is not much of a Video Card. I do not recommend that card to anyone. It just does not have the horsepower to run the new games currently being released. If your son is really into games, then look at a GeForceFX 5700 Ultra or an ATI All in Wonder 9600Pro. Those two cards are currently in the Best Bang for the Buck range.

The GeForceFX uses up to 75W of power when under load. It does take a good power supply to run a GeForceFX or Radeon system with either an AthlonXP or a PIV.

I thought the A7A was an ALI Chipset for the Athlon, not the PIII. Are you sure the motherboard is the A7A?

Take Care,

Richard