PDA

View Full Version : notice period

ops_slave
28th Jan 2004, 06:09
If i want to leave my current employer I have to give 3 months notice, which to me seems horribly unfair. Their come back to this is that most other airlines are the same - but ive never heard of any.

What are other peoples notice period? I could understand if i was flight crew perhaps, but ops staff I think its unreasonable.

pavil
28th Jan 2004, 15:43
i think it has to do with length of service. i cant find my contract to check, but i think with the airline i work for the notice is 2 weeks in the first year then afterwards your years are your weeks, ie 4 years service is 4 weeks notice, although i may be mistaken. but i would imagine there would have to be a limit on it as 3 months appears excessive no matter how long youve been with them

no sig
28th Jan 2004, 17:38
Your contract of employment, which you probably signed when you took your job will define the notice period on both sides. You give three they give you three, or pay you in lieu.

Although I am not commenting on your particular circumstances, the reason many companies now have a three month notice is that it can easily take three months to replace you. And if you work a shift rota as you probably do, to let you go before the end of your notice may place hardships on your colleagues, particularly if you work in a small outfit.

My advice would be to try and negotiate your way out of it by asking if they are prepared to let you go as soon as your replacement is found, you never know maybe you can get away in six.

srs what?
29th Jan 2004, 04:14
Mine is 1 months notice. However, I know a fair few people in Aviation on 3 months. If going to a rival/competitor they employer will normally let you go on gardening leave.