PDA

View Full Version : Cx A340 in Sydney yesterday

virgindriver
28th Jan 2004, 05:57
Anyone know why the CX A340 had to get towed out to the threshold of 16R in Sydney yesterday before it took off? Hadn't seen that before....:confused:

Buster Hyman
28th Jan 2004, 06:21
Have you seen the price of Jet A1 these days!!!!:}

Bankstown
28th Jan 2004, 07:12
Forgot to disconnect before taxying?

Woomera
28th Jan 2004, 07:44
Interesting.

Makes sense to me if it's fuel related, a tow is way cheaper than a fuel diversion and much more environmentally friendly.

In fact I never could get to grips in the US with the huge queues of aircraft and the miasma generated by tonnes of fuel going nowhere.

And as for the goundbourne cross country, at Sydney you can just about get throughSMH Weekend between the gate and go :)

Would love to hear that's the reason.???:8

flyingkiwi
28th Jan 2004, 09:53
Dont know where you guys came up with the theory about saving fuel so as to prevent a later fuel diversion, its a -600 Airbus it can fly 16 hours with out stopping of at a BP. Thats HK-New York definately not HK -SYD.

The real reason, i know the truth is out of place on this forum, is that the taxiways wernt built with an aircraft as long as the -600 in mind and we have charts showing us which taxiways we can use, the taxiway to get on the runway at that point is to be used only when the taxi camera is operational, in this case it was u/s hense having to be towed, that beats having the prunne vultures attack if a wheel had ended up in the dirt!

Woomera
28th Jan 2004, 11:49
flyingkiwi

There you go and thanks for the answer, we are all a little bit wiser and more knowledgeable now.

I think most here are aware of the endurance of the type and your comments on the matter of truth were not necessary.

virgindriver
28th Jan 2004, 13:11
Thanks for that FK.

Since you seem to be in the know- any truth in the rumour of a few $mil for replacement landing gear on a CX A346 that banged onto Sydney and bent like a banana about a month ago? Something about not flaring ;)

vortsa
28th Jan 2004, 14:10
I had too check and sure enough the reasoning sounds true Approx. 8 meters longer wheel base than the A340-300
see link below, sorry to have doubted you FlyingKiwi.

http://www.airbus.com/product/a340_a600_specifications.asp

Capn Bloggs
28th Jan 2004, 15:36
Virgin driver,
Surely those big long flash computer jobs land themselves??

("And don't call me surely...").

Ausatco
28th Jan 2004, 19:23
Wait for the 380.

It will be preceded by a man (or woman, EEO presides at this airport, though she'd have to ride side saddle :D) on a horse, carrying a red flag by day and a red lantern by night.

AA