PDA

View Full Version : Network Analysis Tools

zoink
28th Jan 2004, 04:21
Hi all
Been tasked at work to setup a review of network traffic.. soo....... Does anybody have any good pointers to applications which will monitor network traffic.. console/command line based would be good as i will then have to interrogate the results for patterns etc..

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
zoin

The Nr Fairy
28th Jan 2004, 05:21
I wouldn't bother with command line stuff - you'll need decent graphical stuff to get decent info.

The answer really depends on what you're trying to do. If you want SNMP-based traffic info, MRTG.

If you want top of the range end-to-end performance/traffic analysis, then Niksun NetVCR / Compuware Network Vantage or the like.

Basic stuff like Microsoft NetMon, Sniffer and similar tools will be a good start - plus they're cheaper !

If it's application troubleshooting, then stuff like OPNET's IT Guru would be the sort of thing you're after.

In essence, let us know exactly what you're trying to achieve and we might be able to target suggestions more.

And couldn't you tell I do this for a living !

yintsinmerite
28th Jan 2004, 20:00
If you go to the Analogx site (www.analogx.com), there are a bunch of Network utilities for free. That includes a packet sniffer and a few performance monitors. Best of all, they are FREE

Saab Dastard
29th Jan 2004, 04:15
Zoink,

I've been a long-time fan of Etherpeek - now WildPacket's EtherPeek, I believe. Dunno what the current version is :O

Might be a bit pricey for you?

SD