PDA

View Full Version : USB Hub Problem.

BRL
27th Jan 2004, 23:38
Hi all. I recently moved my pc to another room. This involved unplugging it all and resetting it all up again. Since then, my usb hub, a BELKIN one with its own power supply, is not playing ball. What I have done is plugged it in and replugged in the individual usbs doing whatever the instructions say when they come up on the screen, restarting each time. Now, the problem is, when I restart or turn on the pc it loads up the first screen and stops before it counts through the memory and just does nothing. The hard drive light is on all the time and that's it. If I take out the usb's then it will work with only one in it. It's a bit of a pain really as if I want to use something then I have to unplug everything and do it on its own.:confused: Any clues to what is going on?
Thanks, Brl.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Jan 2004, 00:19
BRL,

Have you tried connecting the hub to another of your USB ports in the back of your computer?

There are some things that could be checked in your BIOS, but they should not have been effected by just moving the comp from one location to another.

Have you tried booting up with the hub connected, but nothing else connected to the hub?

Take Care,

Richard

Timothy
28th Jan 2004, 01:16
L

Are you quite sure the hub is getting power? I have a Belkin powered hub, and that is just how it behaves when the power plug has come out.

Timothy

BRL
28th Jan 2004, 11:52
Hi Chaps. Just looked at the hub power lead and it is ok. There is a red light on the left and four greens on the right, all ok.

Richard, I will try what you suggest later as I am just about to go off to work right now. :)
Thanks.

Ausatco
28th Jan 2004, 14:38
I have a Sitecom 4-port externally-powered USB 2.0 hub and a D-Link DSL-200 USB modem, plus other USB peripherals. XP sees the hub OK and requires no special drivers.

Sometimes during a reset and always during a power-up after the system had been switched off for more than a minute or so the hub port to which the modem was connected would die (no green light). In that state the PC would hang when it was checking drives during the power-up or re-start cycle.

If I disconnected the modem or hub and restarted again, all would be well. Then plug in the hub to its usual port, and then the modem to the hub and all ok.

Through a bit of trial and error with various port combinations in dealing with the above, I have come to the conclusion that XP likes all USB ports (ie, including those on the hub) to be in full working order before it will proceed with the boot sequence. Otherwise it hangs at the IDE drive check. (At least, that's what it did on my machine)

I reconfigured my USB port usage - put the modem directly onto one of the PC's ports and other USB peripherals onto the hub. No problems since then.

There are other unfavourable peripheral/hub combinations, depending on both the hub and the peripheral. My Canon scanner only likes Adaptec hubs, so it too has to live on a PC port, not my Sitecom hub.

Read your USB peripherals' documentation. Some say that they cannot be used with, or not guaranteed, on a hub, a la the Canon scanner. If you're using one of those on your hub it may be causing the problem, in which case, put the fussy peripherals on a PC port if you have one.

Follow Richards advice about booting with the hub connected, but nothing hanging off the hub.

Then plug your hub-friendly peripherals into the hub, and your fussy peripherals into any remaining PC ports if you have them. If you don't, you have a problem.

Hope this helps.

AA

BRL
4th Feb 2004, 05:54
Hi all. Have you tried connecting the hub to another of your USB ports in the back of your computer? I have just got around to doing this today and that is all I had to do, simply change them from one to another.... :O

Many thanks. :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Feb 2004, 11:45
BRL,

That is great news! Glad to hear you are back in business again. ;)

Take Care,

Richard