PDA

View Full Version : Training in South Africa

mark one eyeball
5th Apr 2002, 18:49
I am looking to do some flying in SA at the end of the month while on holiday.
Can anyone give contact details of training company, preferrably JNB or Durban.

Chantal
18th Apr 2002, 08:43
You can try National Airways Corporation (NAC) and Natal Flight Centre which are all based on the Virginia Airport in Durban.

Hoverman
18th Apr 2002, 09:30
The avaiation mags like Pilot and Flyer carry ads for several flight schools in SA.

(OK guys, it was an extra long wait, I had to read something!:) )

BlenderPilot
28th Jun 2002, 01:24
Have any of you worked for the World Health Organization/ONCHO Control Progamme in West Africa?

I came back in December from working over there and I would like to contact pilots who "went there, did that" to exchange impressions, see if you miss it.

I was based in Odienne, Cote d'Ivoire with Evergreen Helicopters Inc.

RotorHorn
28th Jun 2002, 11:17
First of all If I fly in SAA, will my hours count towards my CPL(H)?

And if so, can anyone recommend a school, preferably around Durban?

I've had a flick through the Africa board but couldn't find anything recent....

Cheers

(Whirly - this is the other reason I can't go to Russia! I'm visiting relatives in SA in October...)

Autorotate
29th Jun 2002, 10:30
Try Chopper Flying Services in Durban, they have a pretty good flying school. If you get to JoBurg then talk to Dave Mouton at Helibip.

Autorotate
29th Jun 2002, 10:36
Can you give us a heads up on what the operation was like, what you did, aircraft, location etc. Just curious as to the way it all worked there. Met Gerald Rock from Evergreen at Heli Expo and he gave me some info but would like to get background from one of you lot that have been there.

BlenderPilot
29th Jun 2002, 21:03
I'mmmm let's see,

The ONCHO program has lasted for something like 20 years, and it basically about 2 things, one is applying chemicals in very precise doses into rivers of every size all over West Africa, the reason is control an insect that spreads Onchocercosis or "river blindness", and the other is "prospecting" which is going out and landing in rivers and villages to take samples and see if things are working OK.

We flew the MD500 D/E models, which does things that I didn't know helicopters could do, the maintenance is great, although they don't really worry about the appearance, and fancy stuff, bring your own GPS. At one time there was more than 30 500's working on the contract, and a couple of spray planes. We also had a Cessna 206 to go to the city, run errands.

There have always been 2 main bases one in Togo, LamaKara and one in Ivory Coast, Odienne, each one of those has its pros and cons and their share of very different flying, but the flying is almost always into neighboring countries, Guinea, Mali, Burkina Faso since it's where its most needed.

The flying . . . . ahh yes the flying indeed. Before I left, the Base Manager eMailed me and said "the flying is fun", I thought "flying is always been fun" . . . I was wrong.

We had a spray sistem thru which we applied small doses (say 1.3 lt) of expensive chemicals, this meant, being precise, being low so as to get it all in the water, and being most of all, FAST! The WHO is grouchy about pilots who take their time to make an approach to a river, this meant you could fly 150 miles or more in a day between or below trees, always trying to get as close to the ground, the water, as possible. When an WHO guy tells you to "make a drop" from crusing above the river, he expects you to inmediately dive for the river and get in and out of there as quickly as possibe and move on down the river. As you fly you get to see all kinds of cool scenery and animals.

There are fuel caches stewn about the country in small villages where you have to land and "recharge fluids" this is kind of a bummer since you have to do the refueling yoursef and those barrels are HEAVY! specially in 40C heat.
I had never refueled myself before I went there, and moving those barrels could always be exciting since 20cm scorpions and Cobra snakes liked them for shade.

You kept in strict contact with your base reporting every new river, TO or LDG, via HF, they always knew where you where which was great in case you inadvertanty ran into a tree, and had to have someone get you, it happened more than once. There are practically NO wires in any of the countries, only large cities have electricity and telephone so the few wires there are are clearly known. We usually went out on tuesdays, and came back, the next day or the day after that, spent the night mostly in small hotels in the other countries.

Overall it was a cool job, lot's of fun. The Con's were, flying in aircraft in which looked like they had belonged to the Taliban, dealing with the chemicals and fuel all the time, and that since the program is winding down after 20 years there are few people at the bases to make friends with, historically Evergreen has hired people from all over the world to do the job in, this makes it more intersting and fun, in our 2 bases, we had people from, Portugal, Switzerland, NewZeland, England, Peru, France, Mexico (me), and U.S.

Well here you go, hope this gives you a picture.

Irlandés
29th Jun 2002, 22:35
I think Discobeast might be able to help you out on this one. "Come in Discobeast! Are you out there Discobeast??"

:D

B Sousa
30th Jun 2002, 00:40
Autorotate

Can one still find a cold Castles at the "Rotor Arms" or is that now gone......

Autorotate
30th Jun 2002, 10:17
Thanks for the amazing background on it. Gerald had said I would be welcome to go down there and do a story on it. Now that I know what its like will most certainly have to go and have a look. Thanks again.

Autorotate.

BlenderPilot
30th Jun 2002, 18:22
Well you have to really hurry, I thing the program is on its last year (after 20) and as I left there were only a few helicopeters left over there.

As for Gerald, I really don't know him, the big bosses were Del Smith and John Keisler in McMinnville, OR. The Project Manager is Ron Gorman in Africa, he lives in the Togo base.

discobeast
30th Jun 2002, 21:00
yep! chopper flying services would be the best bet around durban. good company and they even operate a new ec130. in JHB helibip/the helicopter people are the best. they are at grand central. talk to Dave Mouton, Chris G. or Elsa over there. nice people to deal with.

these are the approx. costs in SA:
hire&fly: around US$130 per hour
instruction: around US$144 per hour

contact me if you need more info.....

hey, irlandes, get back to those books, buddy!!! hehehe....

ciao! :D

SASless
1st Jul 2002, 05:28
I was in the second group of Evergreen pilots to do that contract....the first Chief Pilot absconded with the petty cash....paid his way home with it. The second Chief Pilot nearly killed himself in a Pilatus Porter crash....the third Chief Pilot tried to drink himself to death.....the line pilots lasted anywhere from days to several years. We were based in Bobo-Diolasso in what was then the Republic of Upper Volta now Burkina Faso. We flew three Jetrangers and one Pilatus Porter. There was no flight following, no GPS, maps were sometimes hand drawn. There were no observers, pilots were alone for the whole week .....departed on Monday morning....returned late on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Survival kits were typical Evergreen....hand full of Charms candy....and some matchs....and a couple of condoms....I assume for use with the native ladies. The French UN official who started the program was an absolute gentleman as was his Belgian assistant. The local staff we met in Ghana, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, and Mali were a delight to deal with. We did some wonderful flying....stayed lost....at times did not even know which country I was in! Lived very rough....Evergreen standard accomodation and pay.....really bad! Bobo had one pinball machine which you could not tilt....no ice....bad gin....one hotel....two restaurants.....we shared one Land Rover between five pilots and one mechanic who lived in two different locations.....five miles apart. There was no refrigeration in the market....dysentery was a normal situation. Loved the experience.....saw some very interesting sights....met some very coloful people.....and have never been slightly interested in working for Evergreen ever since.

They paid me every penny they had promised....but would not tell me the details of what had been paid during a collect telephone call from Bobo to the Chief Pilot....then Larry Vineyard. He merely reaffirmed Payrolls statement that "Evergreen doesn't release that information over the telephone!"

bushwacker
1st Jul 2002, 08:18
Howdy guy's

Lama Kara signing in. 1998 to 1999.
Yup, Evergreen hasn't changed, but fulfilled every
promise they gave.
Memo from Oregon came every couple of months, requesting us to dress as gentlemen !!
Miss the flying !
How's Jay doing ?

staticdroop
1st Jul 2002, 17:21
This sounds like interesting work, i understand they are slowig down but are they vlosing completely or are they still hiring. Would love to know, so if anybody knows, let me know.
Thanks

staticdroop
1st Jul 2002, 17:24
P.S
My spoolchucker seems to be broken so please excuse spelling.

Autorotate
1st Jul 2002, 19:29
Since Chopper Flying Services are a Eurocopter agency I doubt they would have any 206s. There website is as follows:

http://www.helicopter.co.za/

Autorotate.

BlenderPilot
1st Jul 2002, 22:26
sasless,

Well your description of the place from a few years back seems to match everything I've heard from the past, it was fun. I really don't see how you could have worked without GPS, I never knew where I was most of the time and I had GPS! nor less with a JetRanger, when I got there the kind of flying done would have caused any 206 to fall apart on the first day of manuvering around the river. I know what you mean by the chief pilot trying to kill himself by drinking to death, the info handout I got when I got there said "it is forbidden to attend the WHO meeting while drunk"

staticdroop,

Last I heard they let some of the last pilots go early this year and they now only have a couple of pilots who will stay until the end of the project later this year, but who knows give EHI a call, nothing to lose, much to gain.

Bushwacker,

Jay isn't there anymore, he's with Dyncorp in S.America last I've heard. As for the memo about the dress code, well it seems dressing wasn't a priority by now.

discobeast
1st Jul 2002, 22:50
there are no AS355's in SA. not that i am aware of anyway... but there is a EC135 if you want some twin time on eurocopter products. it is operated by STAR. an EMS-company. talk to Dave Mouton at Helibip about it if you are interested

ciao!

Autorotate
2nd Jul 2002, 00:15
Discobeast

Where in Aoteoroa are you, I am at Princes Wharf (AKL). Heading to Jo'Burg Thursday to catch up with Dave M and then go as part of their seven ship flight (EC-120 x 5, EC-130x1 and AS-350? x 1) to Nairobi for the Rally of Kenya. Should be a good trip. Staying overnight in Malawi somewhere.

Autorotate.

discobeast
2nd Jul 2002, 01:35
hi autorotate,

i'm in albany, north-shore. i was wondering if they were going to go up for the rally again. i heard the last time was an awesome trip. wish i could go along..... damn! hehehe...

wow! 7 ships hey?! plus the EC130?! i knew dave would get to play with the new toys!!! hehehe...

where do you know Dave from?

ciao!
:D

cdn54
2nd Jul 2002, 13:18
I spent 18 months in West Africa in '79-81 with Viking Helicopters of Ottawa Canada on the the Oncho project. Looking back it was one of the greatest time and most challenging job of my flying career. Nothing like 200 miles out to a fuel casche in 1/2 mile vis in the "Harmatan". No GPS in those days and just C model 500's! Good times and good people. "Flag" beer tasted good when it was cold!

Autorotate
2nd Jul 2002, 18:52
I have spent a lot of time back and forwards doing stories and shooting pics, back from the days when Brian Lehmkuhl was running the Rand Airport unit for SAPS, with Rod McLay as 2IC. On this trip am also catching up with Mark McJannet and Ivor Marais at STAR and up to Livingstone where there are a couple of 350s plying the tourist trade.

If I get time will duck across to Vic Falls where the old UAC and Southern Cross have combined to form Zambezi Helicopters, flying 2 x 206L and one 206B.

The trip to Nairobi is going to be fun. Sliding door on EC-120 and have just bought 100 rolls of slide film, should be just enough for the trip.

Not sure if you know John Fogden, foggie used to be Ops Dir of NAC at Rand, now is Helo Inspector here in Kiwiland for the CAA (C***s Against Aviation).

Autorotate.

B Sousa
4th Jul 2002, 16:17
Autorotate, If your going up through Malawi, I will bet you stay in Karonga...... Dont Eat the salad......Also dont get into any Bullfights..............Gerry will explain......

Autorotate
4th Jul 2002, 22:14
Bert,

Arr into JNB last night and caught up with Dave and some of the pilots. I am flying with Martin, Daves Chief Pilot in an EC-120. Leaving crack of dawn tomorrow and refuel at Tete then through to Llongwe (not sure on spelling) and then throw a few jerry cans in the back and do a bush refuel the following day for last leg.

Now have eight aircraft going from here. By the way did Dave mention they bent a Rooivalk during a flight test for the pilot the other day :eek:

Autorotate.

P.S. Dave said Gerry is on this flight as well.

Autorotate
5th Jul 2002, 01:20
Found this which backs up Daves little incident :D

A Rooivalk belonging to the South African Air Force (SAAF), was involved in an accident on 28 June outside Pretoria.

Denel says that during a routine maintenance test flight, with one of its test pilots at the controls, the helicopter carried out a quick stop manoeuvre when the aircraft hit the ground ‘in what can be considered a hard landing’. First news indicates that the port shock absorber collapsed as a result of the impact, with some collateral damage.

The crew were not injured in the incident and the aircraft was returned to the Denel plant at Kempton Park.

An official board of enquiry has been and a first sitting will be held.

discobeast
5th Jul 2002, 02:59
hi autorotate,

i thought it was only petri van zyl in the rooivalk. did'nt know dave was with.

martin bouer, the chief pilot, is a great guy. i flew with him once in a 350 doing a test flight. do you know if nic is going along as well?

are you talking about gerrie that own the EC120?

B Sousa
6th Jul 2002, 18:29
Talking aboput Gerry Broberg......Former SAP Pilot and general all around good guy....

Autorotate
8th Jul 2002, 10:19
Bert & All

Made it into Nairobi yesterday. Great trip and I got to fly EC-120 ZS-RNA all the way, with Martin as co-pilot. Chased girafe around low level in Zim and then did a photo shoot at 11,500 ft in front of Kilamanjaro with Gerry flying EC-130 as No 1, Francois and Mark in EC-120 as number 2 and Renae in AS-350BA as No 3.

Will post some when I get home. Bert, heard from Gerry that you tried to ague with a Buffalo and got butted for your trouble :D

Stopped on top of 7300 ft mountain to top up with jerry cans. Route was

Pietersburg - Chireze - Tete - Llongwe (Overnight) Dodomo and then Nairobi.

We have 28 helicopters working on the rally here. Will post more soon.

Regards

Autorotate.

discobeast
8th Jul 2002, 10:41
wow! sounds like an awesome trip! just wondering.... is it possible to post some photos here?

did rene fly ZS-RHA? RHA currently holds the world helicopter altitude record @ 42,500ft.:eek:

enjoy:)

B Sousa
9th Jul 2002, 02:24
Autorotate,

Disco beast got me on this site, as I asked about the trip on a thread in "African Aviation" Anyway I am envious. I had one hell of a good time a few years ago...
And Yes I am de great Kenyan Booolfighter... the Sumbitch threw me ass over teacup. But I did get a lot of toothy smiles from the locals....
That trip, every year will no doubt become the most popular Helicopter flying in Africa and I can see it becoming something that will have its own Alumni Association....
Please keep Gerry out of trouble, he seems to think that Tonic wards off Malaria....

Autorotate
10th Jul 2002, 19:04
Bert & Discobeast

Am back in JoBurg now, doing some flying with STAR and SAPS and then Johaan Nell and the Land & Ag B3. Left Nairobi this afternoon.

Renee flew the Giraffe up there, blue and green BA. I will post some of the images once I get them developed. Shot images all the way up there including the amazing formation shots in front of Killy.

Bert, I am going to be back on this trip next year so you should make a point of joining us. Am also going to make up some t-shirts commemorating this years bash so if you and Discobeast would like one will put a couple aside.

Now Arthur Walker, he is a character.

Autorotate.

B Sousa
11th Jul 2002, 00:53
Autorotate, so all you did was the ride up...... Fun begins when the work begins....and those good evenings along the routes.
next time you have to stay the entire time.....Ride home is not so bad also. Did you see a customs Official in Malawi wearing Vaurnets?? If so they were mine, the little S51T was so fast I didnt catch him.....Stop by vegas on the way home.....

Autorotate
11th Jul 2002, 04:33
The whole plan was originally just for the trip up. I was going to stay but a certain person turned out to be a real SOB, and since he was running the helo ops side I decided it wasnt worth the hassle.

They now have a Helipark where all the machines are based and work out of so all nights are spent in tents at Suswa. The only ones that dont are Garry and Renee who are based out of the Safari park because they are flying the media.

We went and had lunch at Carnivores down at the end of the airport, such delights as zebra, crocodile, ostrich, etc.

All in all a great trip and if I had the time to stay I would have waited around but also the owner of the 120 we flew up there was coming up to fly it home with friends so that was another reason to cut out early.

Autorotate.

discobeast
11th Jul 2002, 04:52
Giraffe? Ohhh yeaah… got it! the giraffe… right! ;o) I think Helibip wanted to buy it just before I left for NZ. Guess they did!

Would love to have one of those T’s! Now I can say, ” wasn’t there, didn’t do it but hey… got the t-shirt!” hehe…

Have fun with the STAR EC-135. Don’t know the folks that operate STAR personally but know about them.

And enjoy a couple of Castles at Rotor Arms at the SAP-hangers. Cheapest drinks in town!!! Right… Bert?:D

Cheers!

B Sousa
11th Jul 2002, 23:05
Thats for sure. Its a beautiful place. Many times there when there were Pilots in the SAP Airwing. Seems most have all gone by now and the load is being picked up by the few remaining.
Sad thing, but Im sure it will revert to jungle in the not to distant future.
If you visit the place dont forget to bring a good bottle of Gentleman Jack and leave it for those who are still there......

Autorotate
12th Jul 2002, 16:01
Bert

Just got back from having a few in the Rotors Arms for you. Went flying with Marius in Jo'Burg in the 500E and found a couple of carjackers in delightful Soweto. Then it was back to Pretoria for an air to air shoot with the B3 from a 105. Beautiful shots then we had to retire to the Arms. Got a couple of commenorative bottles of wine with the SAPS AIRWING logos on them so might drop one off on the way through Vegas in a few weeks.

Great day and back with STARS tomorrow with the EC-135 and then Sunday head north with Johann in the Parks B3 for some game counting and darting etc. Life sucks NOT :D

Autorotate.

goaround7
13th Jul 2002, 17:49
John Bassi Helicopters in Pretoria has R-22 for R1,350 + VAT per hour for hours building and is rumoured to being getting a Hughes 300 to add to Jet Ranger which goes for R3250. Tel 082 892 9444.

Autorotate
14th Jul 2002, 19:24
Bert

Got to meet Fred today, great guy and we had a ball. Flew up there with Johaan in the Land & Ag B3. Then we met up with Fred at the lodge and flew up to the mountain site and had lunch. The next couple of hours resulted in some awesome images. You know the pedal turn he does in front of the rock face, well he recreated that while I was on the ground and we got some spectacular images. Also got Johaan to do it in the B3 and he had the thing upside down, and yes you did read right - wait and see the evidence :eek:

The we had them in formation looking down the sheet cliffs with one under the other. From here it was off around the park shooting from the B3 to Fred. Low level over the reserve was great.

Then swapped to Freds machine and chased the B3 around. Got simply out o this world images of the B3 with two Rhinos, giraffe and Wildebeest. Will email some for you. Then drive back to Pretoria with Fred, drinking few beers on the way back, 140kmph and handgun on the seat, just in case of highjacking. Needless to say a great day, and a true gentlemen. Heard a few war stories about you too :D

Autorotate.

B Sousa
15th Jul 2002, 15:22
I hate it when folks have fun and Im not there. Things are very slow in the tourism side here in Vegas. I think its time for me to get my flight to Africa booked.........
Fred is certififiably insane at times but one of the smoothest Helicopter Pilots on that Continent. He knows his machines. I can only imagine the drive back, 140kph is on the slow side...Stories on me?? from Fred??, I cant believe it...
For those of you who would love to see a nice place. The Area we are discussing is on the web at www.entabeni.co.za The manager there is Ric Wilmot and he runs a tight ship with Royal Service to the guests. Prices are extremely reasonable.

B Sousa
16th Jul 2002, 04:11
Neville......
Its all your fault. Im arriving in JNB 9 Aug Delta/SAA LAS/ATL/JNB.......Party Time

discobeast
16th Jul 2002, 07:10
Hehe… didn’t take a lot of convincing to get you’re a$$ back there. Now did it, bert? :D

cheers!

Balance!
16th Jul 2002, 08:45
gents
Any chance you could upload some of the pics to a web site so that some of us office bound chaps could drool?? :cool:

RotorHorn
16th Jul 2002, 09:19
GoAround7 - thanks for the post - especially since its one of only a few actually 'on' topic ;) ;)

But I'm not complaining guys - honest - you're just making me impatient to get over there!! :D :D :D
( Always happy to hold a map if you're stuck for some company on one of these jaunts ;) )

I'm toying with the idea of a jet conversion whilst I'm over - EC120/130 maybe? Not that there's many of them in the UK that I know of. Perhaps I'd be better sticking with the 206...?

p.s. Looks like my Durban trip will be in January.

Trying to plan a few cross country's for whilst I'm there. Day trips and even a couple of overnighters. How far is Cape Town, Jo'Burg or even Sun City from Durban flight time wise? Any suggestions as to a destination greatly appreciated. (Although it sounds like I've just missed the boat for the best x-country!!)

For info - the lovely Racheal at Chopper Flying Services has quoted me R1, 790 (ex vat) for the R22 (about £115+VAT) and R2,884 (ex vat) per hour for the R44 (about £190+VAT) - dual or sfh.

Bert - I'm dead jealous. Wish I could just drop everything and head for the sun. You must really miss that beer at Rotor Arms - a lot!

discobeast
16th Jul 2002, 20:41
I am not 100% on the exact times but from Durban, jhb would be around 4 maybe 5 hours flying because you have to cross or go around the dragensberg-mountain range which is quite an amazing sight. The weather will be your “guide”. From jhb (grand cental airport) flying to Sun City will take you about 45mins. Also a great flight as Sun City lies in a volcanic crater with flat earth around. I flew there for my cross-country. Durban to cape-town is quite far and it depends on the route you will take. Overland or following the coast. That will definitely take a couple of hours. But could also be great fun as a stopover holiday on route to c-town.

Hope this helps! :)

B Sousa
17th Jul 2002, 03:12
"Bert - I'm dead jealous. Wish I could just drop everything and head for the sun. You must really miss that beer at Rotor Arms - a lot!"

Rotorhorn
Its not that I miss the Beer. Its my second home, wife is from SA.
With the Rand as it is one can live good there based on the Dollar and more so on the Pound. The Rotor Arms was built by the SAP Air Wing on station in Pretoria. Its Their Club, and a really neat place. I do hope it stays alive as long as Im able to get up to the Bar. I must say its not as crowded as it once was, and I met some truly good Aviation types and devoted South Africans there.
Its probably the best kept secret in the world, a very beautiful country and some real good folks. It has problems, but there are places here in the states I dont venture into, so if one keeps alert life is OK.
Americans ask me all the time Why do you go to such a place. I can only say, if you havent been there you wouldnt understand....

Autorotate
17th Jul 2002, 10:03
Rotorhorn

South Africa has that X factor. Entabeni is one of those places within SA that has to be visited to be experienced. Where else do you have to stop walking along the path to the toilet so you dont interupt the Rhinos (yes you read right) that are drinking from the fishpond.

The aviation scene is great there as well. A lot of great people who are very hospitable to say the least. For a Kiwi that visits there a lot it is probably one of the last frontiers when it comes to aviation. I had the chance recently to fly from JoBurg to Nairobi and it was the trip of a lifetime. Houses are cheap and yes there is crime, but hell look at life in NYC or LA. The crime is not much different, just keep your eyes open and you can have a great life there.

Autorotate.

AndyJB32
16th Apr 2003, 03:34
Could any one help me with info about who to contact to find out about flying helicopters in any of Kenya's game parks......I know that flight international had an ad for cessna caravan pilots a couple of years ago, but having contacted the WWF for a list of game parks, I've not found any which employ full time heli pilots. Any one got any ideas, or any experience in this type of flying, I would be grateful for any suggestions Cheers.

PANews
17th Apr 2003, 04:34
Not right up to date, but in 2000 it was claimed that Africair Inc., PO Box 165139, Miami FL 33116-5139, USA +1 305 255 6973 fax 7974 or 4064 [email protected] Sole distributor for Cessna aircraft and Bell h/c in the majority of sub-Saharan African countries provide full helicopter support to the police in Kenya [KPAW] and Tanzania [TPAW] as well as the Kenya Pipeline and Wildlife Management.

Its a lead anyway.

flyboy6876
17th Apr 2003, 12:01
You could try contacting Harry Trempenau (spl) at the Aero Club of East Africa on [email protected]

He seems to have quite a bit to do with aviation and the game parks.

AndyJB32
18th Apr 2003, 15:15
If anyone has any contacts not necessarily limited to Kenya, but involving animal conservation/game parks etc, that would also be appreciated, thanks

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2003, 03:38
Fiona Luckhurst, who is CFI at the Shadow Flight Centre, Old Sarum was I believe a game warden in (Kenya?) before she took up QFIing. I don't believe she's on Pprune but is in the usual phone books.

G

B Sousa
19th Apr 2003, 05:59
See if we can get the Mod to move this to African Aviation, I think we could get more response.

Heliport
19th Apr 2003, 08:13
Bert

I've had a link to this thread in the Africa forum for a few days.

Heliport

AndyJB32
19th Apr 2003, 18:28
Thanks for the various suggestions which I'm now following up......I've also now put a similar note on the Africa board, cheers, Andy:ok:

tabdy
21st Apr 2003, 19:21
I returned to UK after 6yrs flying a C208 in support of humanitarian aid in East & Central Africa. I was based in Nairobi and I am a helicopter pilot. There is not a lot of helicopter activity in Kenya or in that part of the world because the distances are large and the countries are very well served with "Bush" airstrips. Anyone who can afford to fly is likely to have property which will have an airstrip or room to build one and if they live in Nairobi and want to fly out, there is bound to be an airstrip at their destination. Labour is very cheap so taxis cost next to nothing to meet you at an airstrip. Historically there have always been lots of light aircraft. The game parks have airstips and low level flight over the parks is forbidden. KWS (Kenya Wild Life Service) have an airwing which has/had a Longranger and Hughes 500 in addition to a C208 and various tail-draggers. There are a couple of private AS350s and the odd Jetranger and B47. I'm sure helicopter numbers will increase in the future. The military have a few helicopters that are occcasionally to be seen flying and the police have a few old Russian machines which spend most of their time in the hanger or sunning themselves outside! I think the word "corruption" featured in their procurement!

Hedski
23rd Jun 2003, 04:29
I am looking for information on heli schools in South Africa. Do any do good deals for hour builders who need as much time as they can get in a few weeks? Particularly do any hire out B206's as I am rated on these and turbine is always good to get, especially as its probably a damn sight cheaper down south than round these parts. All help and opinions are appreciated.
PS: Gunship, you probably know the territory as well as anyone, any thoughts?

B Sousa
23rd Jun 2003, 11:06
As to renting a helicopter. Unless you show up with a ton of money, chances are slim. It seems universal that you can rent Airplanes and you can work for Helicopter companies.....Insurance is the usual limiting factor...

NorthSouth
27th Jun 2003, 06:37
Hedski
Try Alpine Aviation at Grand Central - www.alpineaviation.co.za

They have R22s, R44s, B206s, B407s and I think EC120s and prices are good.

kickback
16th Aug 2003, 14:43
Hi all,

I want to find out what the helicopter job market is like in sub saharan Africa. My wife and I have worked in Africa before as volunteers and it is in our plans to move back to this magnificent continent. At the moment I'm still training as helo pilot in the US and I know I'm still a long way off from flying professionally, but I would like some answers to a few questions;

1. What kind of license will I need to fly? FAA, JAA, ect....
2. What are the experience requirements?
3. What kind of helo jobs are there? I am very interested in flying for humanitarian aid.
4. Where can it get more info about helo flying in Africa?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I've posted a link in the African section.
Heliport

Gunship
17th Aug 2003, 16:54
Thanks Heliport !

I will spend more time here in the future - tx for the mails !

kickback, as your name says the area that I work in is purely saturated by Russian / Eastern block pilots.

The WFP / ICI / UN .. all these guys make JUST use of Russian helicopters and crews from Russia / East . "our" WFP guys here are Bulgarians right now.

Even the UN is all the same.

So on that side I have bad news .. sorry.

Sorry was compelled to answer ..

Normal work / like oil rigs .. apparently they STILL need EXPERIENCED guys on the rigs in Nigeria !

Cheers and good luck !

Gunss

kickback
18th Aug 2003, 01:11
Gunship,

thanks for the low down on helo flying for humanitarian missions, too bad they only use east bloc pilots and material.

What about smaller NGO's? Are there any smaller charitable organizations that operate helo's?

thanx in advance for reply.

cpt
18th Aug 2003, 02:54
I came across some times ago in Cameroun, an AS 350 operated by an organization called "Heli-Mission"....
They were involved in some humanitarian tasks, but I couldn't get more infos about them. Probably google knows something about.
Another aviation humanitarian linked to "medecins sans frontières" is called "Aviation sans frontières" but they operate fixed wings only in Africa as far as I know.

Good luck anyway.

MBJ
20th Aug 2003, 06:12
Try Helimission based in Switzerland. A bloke called Tanner used to run it - 00-4171 3437171. They use low time pilots of a religious nature and I know the organisation is funded by US religious bodies. They have been known to do some pretty despicable stuff culturally but on balance do provide a service in areas which otherwise would have nothing.

I've come across them in Ethiopia and Indonesia.

Aesir
20th Aug 2003, 07:28
I checked out Helimission around 1990, They didn´t seem to want to pay anything, wanted volunteers and feelt like some religious fanatics to me, never talked to them again.

It may be different now, at the time they were even operating some 212´s.

But do not work for organizations like these for free or even low pay, believe me everybody else there in the management of the organisation is not there for free!

Dynamic Component
20th Aug 2003, 10:26
The Heli Mission Website:
www.helimission.ch
:ok:

kickback
21st Aug 2003, 08:45
thanx to everyone for giving me the info.

Maybe we can keep this thread alive by posting what kind of helo jobs you guys have in Africa as sort of inspiration to new helo pilots wanting to work in Africa.

Dynamic Component
21st Aug 2003, 08:48
There are a few South African Companies that do a bit of work in Africa aswell.
Try Titan Helicopters or NAC Helicopters.
I've done a bit of work for one of the above in Africa flying for the WWF.

TeeS
24th Jan 2004, 21:54
Hi

Sorry it's not a real Rotorheads subject, but are any of you guys/girls familiar with holidays in the Gambia. I'm shoving the wife and mother in law away for a few days and the Gambia is a possibility, Beirut was fully booked!

Any first hand knowledge/advice on hotels, areas to stay/avoid would be greatly appreciated. Two hotel currently under consideration are the Hotel Atlantic and the Palm Grove, both at Banjul.

Many Thanks

TeeS

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2004, 06:57
No personal knowledge, but a few UK microlight schools I believe do flying training out there. A quick web search might come up with a contact who might be helpful.

G

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
25th Jan 2004, 07:56
The Kariba. Highly reccommended. Used as crew hotel for UK airlines, and probably this best hotel in BJL

soggyboxers
25th Jan 2004, 16:49
TeeS,
Personally I like the Senegambia. I was last there a few months ago. The rooms are passable, the staff friendly, the food good, the gardens beautiful and the swimming pools nice.
Any of the good quality hotels in the resort areas are reasonable, and better than staying in Banjul itself.
One thing to watch out for if you're sending unescorted ladies there is that there are quite a few European women who visit the Gambia to meet the local chaps, many of whom are waiting to meet them in the local bars.
The weather at this time of the year is good and it's a nice place to spend a week away, even if scenically a bit unexciting. Most of the hotels can arrange visits to local villages, canoe trips, hippo viewing etc. Prices are not tgo high and the local beer (Julbrew) is passable. Hope the ladies have a good time

TeeS
26th Jan 2004, 20:39
Thanks for that guys.

Cheers

TeeS

Metch
11th Feb 2004, 02:42
OK it's me again........:p

Yup im still researching all options for getting my CPL(H), and have now been directed to South Africa.

Believe me when I say I am getting giddy with the schools, options, visas, currency conversion, and the reputation of the schools supplying the CPL.:ugh:

Every time I think I have cracked it, hey presto, another option pops up, but being prudent I will explore all avenues.

So getting back to SA, I have just posted in African Aviation the following: -

"Any insights to John Bassi Helicopters would be greatly received, or any indication of a good school to get my CPL (H) within SA".

So yet again I am putting it out to tender and any assistance would be greatly received

Power Up
11th Feb 2004, 12:44
As far as I know, most SA Schools only issue SA licences, so on return home, a conversion to JAA Licence would be needed.
Also money for flights, accomodation, food etc. You may end up paying very similar to what you would back in the UK.

I looked at all the options, and reverted back to the UK, due to start the commercials in the next month or so distance (cannot afford to quit work).

Everyone is to their own, but if it doesn't feel right, walk away - you are taking a big enough risk already

ryuzu
12th Feb 2004, 05:11
Don't have any experience with the Bassi programme driectly, but when I was going through the same process I got the brochures and spoke to the SA school who administer it.

In the end I calculated the 'loaded' hourly rate for each school (i.e. including ground time required, extra hours, sim time etc).

On that basis, the SA schools even with the weak Rand were v. expensive - almost as much as home. The main reason is that the SA (and many other) schools don't include ground school, sim time, exam costs etc etc - all the things that will be necessary for a good chance at a commercial license.

The one thing that looked good about the Bassi programme was that you got some good mustering experience - but even so, Ranch's seem to prefer cattle men trained in heli flying rather than pilots with no direct Cattle experience.

r.

hotzenplotz
29th Mar 2004, 15:44
Hi

I'm trying to figure out the situation in South Africa.
I didn't find much helpful information on the south-africa forum, so I try to start something here.
Does anyone have information about:

-visa for europeans
-typical low timer jobs (about 200 hours R-22 & Schweizer 300)
-requirements for a flight instructor license
-companys to contact
-things 'ya need to know'
-situation for helicopter pilots in Cape Town
-salaries and living costs

That's a whole bunch of questions, but every bit of usefull information is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

999driver
7th Apr 2004, 11:05
Sounds as if the change to 8 & 4 is going ahead for BHL. I think it will have a lot of people looking elsewhere as though the money is good, quality of life is worth a damn sight more IMHO. Never mind - doubtless the company will fill the void with cheaper more desperate individuals. Its safe to say a lot of people are already putting feelers out and I can't blame them. Two months in that place at a time is a lot to withstand, regardless of the few stalwarts who seem to follow the notion that it's all part of life's rich experience. BULLS**T !! Its nothing to do with that at all. People work there for the time off and the money and if anyone says otherwise then I would doubt they are sound of mind. There are a million and one better places to work (granted for less dosh) but you have to decide what is most important to you. Best I start looking around for alternatives

Time Out
7th Apr 2004, 12:25
999driver do you have a contract for employment there? Does it give BHL the right to change your roster without your agreement? If not, consider getting legal advice. A change enforced on you may be worth a challenge. Good luck!

SASless
8th Apr 2004, 01:12
You are a Non-Brit...your contract (Letter of Appointment) is with BIAGLE (a Jersey, Channel Islands shell corporation)...seconded to Bristow Helicopters Ltd (Nigeria)...live outside the UK...work in Nigeria...contract terms clearly state the work schedule can be changed at will by the company...also...in the fine print...a two year contract period only counts the time "in Nigeria" towards completion of the contract...thus it takes three years to complete a two year contract.

Just how much chance do you have at winning some sort of legal action?

Get real!

If you don't like the setup....pack yer trash...and go find another job....saves you a lot of expense in the long run.

Now tell me we don't need an International Union of some kind?

One man's opinion.:(

Watchoutbelow
8th Apr 2004, 01:28
Bristow really sounds like a bad company to work for these days, Faceless suits treat staff like crap, moral is low and its business is going down the tubes.
Would that be a fair assesment?

Time Out
8th Apr 2004, 03:45
SASless you are straight to the point as usual :ok: - and I've no doubt you are right. What a shame though.

B Sousa
8th Apr 2004, 14:19
Interesting thread for sure. A Helicopter Pilot who believes a company will honor a contract and is willing to seek legal assisstance to resolve matters.
I think SASless said it all. If you dont like the situation, dont let the door hit you on the way out. Many jobs out there for experienced Helicopter Pilots, very few are Careers.

Helipolarbear
9th Apr 2004, 10:39
SASLess.... An International Pilots Union.......Excellent Idea!
But, unfortunately our biz is a 'Dog Eat Dog' World.:cool:

How do you get 100,000 Helipilots to 'down tools' collectively?

ambidextrous
14th Apr 2004, 20:36
A thought from one at the bottom of the pile. BHL management never increased the staff to cater for a 7/5 schedule anyway. Just ask the Warri Chief- Pilot how many times he did night standby with the duty engineer as his appointed P2. (Whoops but we mustn't talk about that must we in case the NCAA are looking at this site). Coupled with Exxon-Mobil's decision to clear out all the 57+ "crumblies" from Eket and 8/4 in the ever present cost cutting mania was inevitable. Still with the imminent arrival of 10 East European states within the EU it won't be long before even the Malaysians/Indonesians/South Africans etc will be replaced with East Europeans once their licences are validated. Byeoh, ambi.

Jonasraf
14th Apr 2004, 21:37
You guys and gals should check out this website
PHPA (http://www.autorotate.com)

This is a union that oprates from USA and they're goal is to help all helicopter pilots all over the world to get equal salary and benefits from their operators. We are here couple of pilots in Iceland that are members in this union and I believe that they will do good things for this profession.

Also I know of some members in Spain and Norway.

Auto Relight
27th Sep 2004, 03:27
Just wondering if there is any work available in Africa at the moment, and what companies are good/bad to fly with.

I hear Nigeria is a bit of a mess at the moment, but am open to almost location. Thanks in advance,

AR

Blind
20th Oct 2004, 20:18
Do any of you out there have a postal address for the Bristow Helicopters Operation in Mauritania, Africa?

Trying to get hold of someone!!!!!!

Cheers,

Blind.

finalchecksplease
20th Oct 2004, 23:09
Last time I needed to get hold of a friend working for Bristow’s in Nigeria, I mailed it to Redhill and they forwarded it.
See no reason why this should not work for Mauritania as well, hope this helps.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
21st Oct 2004, 10:47
YOUR MATE'S NAME,
Mauritania operation,
c/o Bristow Helicopters Limited,
Redhill Aerodrome,
Redhill,
Surrey
RH1 5JZ

Simple as that. hope it helps !!

Blind
21st Oct 2004, 13:20
Thanking you both kindly!!!!!!1

cpt
2nd Dec 2004, 09:35
It seems that an helicopter company in Ivory Coast ( IAS based in ABJ ? ) is urgently looking for helicopter pilots qualified on SA 365 ( C model) with a curent IR rating and offshore experience.
Any other news on this ?

SASless
2nd Dec 2004, 15:00
.....and a very small brain would help.

Auto Relight
2nd Dec 2004, 15:59
Just turned down a job in that neck of the woods - as the other fellow said, turn on the TV and see what's happening, very sad indeed.

AR

trim string
2nd Dec 2004, 16:12
Doesn't sound too good, to say the least!!!

But since I don't really have thousands of hours but am qualified on the 365 and hold FATPL (JAA) and a valid IR(JAA) (and need a job), has someone got some details on this???

Tried to look it up, but doesn't seem to be too much info regarding Ivory coast on the web.

Cheers,

trim string

cpt
2nd Dec 2004, 17:11
Hello Tim String....

Maybe could you try to call directly to ABJ at these numbers
++225 21278381
or
++225 07075254
or
++225 07305561

I am considering to join myself ( no worries, I have watched TV, read papers, and I am very familiar with Africa....)

Good luck.

trim string
2nd Dec 2004, 18:30
Hi Cpt,

Thanx a lot for the contact numbers!!! Will give them a ring tomorow.

Can you send me a PM with your email, tried to PM you but it is switched off, or just send me an email if u want through my profile. If it is ok, I would like to ask you a few things.

Cheers,

Trim string

cpt
3rd Dec 2004, 09:28
Hello Trim String...

Despite all my trials, I have never managed to activate mail and private messages facilities with pprune (maybe because of the very small brain SASless is suggesting in a former post:rolleyes: )
Did you manage to call at the indicated numbers ?

SASless
3rd Dec 2004, 11:42
The legendary Allain Tyrbas-de-Champs-de-Grace is supposed to be running the Mauertanian operation for Bristow.......plenty of potential for turnover there..always has been anyhere he ran things for BHL. Get those CV's in....

Sacre Bleu! Break! Check Six! Check Six! Merde!

Tokunbo
4th Dec 2004, 08:32
SAS less,

No need to duck - there are just too many people who no longer work for Bristow as a direct result of the legendary 'Tyreburst'! Maybe they'd have less problems with pilot numbers in Nigeria right now if he weren't still with the company - but they never learn.

trim string

I hear Caverton may be looking for a 365 pilot and they don't need as many hours as ACN. Try an e-mail to their Ops manager, [email protected]

trim string
4th Dec 2004, 09:43
Hi Tokunbo,

Thanx, will give it a try!

Cheers,

Trim String

Rotor Driver
5th Dec 2004, 23:24
Does anyone know if Bristow or CHC enforce any age limits on pilots working in Africa?

SASless
6th Dec 2004, 00:17
Ask the over 57 years old Bristow pilots that got the heave-ho at their Eket Mobil operation.....along with the North Sea guys that got dumped by age and seniority....the older and more senior got the pink slips. Ask the Bristow pilots that had to retire and find themselves doing the same job as contractors at Warri and Port Harcourt.

Nope....just the normal limitations imposed by the authorities.....yeah right!

Also...remember the conversion training selection process...especially when the 155 came along.....sorry mate...but you are too old was a common refrain to many.

GoodGrief
8th Aug 2005, 09:05
Hi ppruners!

What do you think would be a fair salary for flying EMS in a light twin out in safe West Africa ?
Contract would be 2 months on / 1 off or 3 months on / 1 off.

Ned-Air2Air
8th Aug 2005, 09:08
Depends if you are talking the Western part of South Africa ie: Namibia way, or the real Western Africa up in the north.

SASless
8th Aug 2005, 09:28
"Safe" West Africa? 3 and 1....nope...uh uh....unless the money is really...really good.

Think 6 weeks and 6 weeks....like CHC does in Nigeria....or 4 weeks and 4 weeks like Chevron does in Angola....or Nigeria. Even Bristow is doing 7 weeks and 5 weeks in Nigeria.

Thomas coupling
8th Aug 2005, 14:16
3 pigs a goat and 2 pygmies....per month, of course.

GoodGrief
9th Aug 2005, 17:54
How about USD 52000 plus health insurance and pension, free housing and in-house food.
Free roundtrip tickets home.

Cheers

Makila
9th Aug 2005, 18:40
Goodgrief

That is absolute peanuts compared to
the big two in West Africa- return airfares
are the norm, not a package incentive.

Maybe you should contact CHC or
Bristow if you are considering a career
in West Africa, as you may be quite
suprised over the pay difference.

Just a thought- good luck.

M

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 20:12
Been there, done it .. I will not go back for less than $100k , free all ... with "food allowances" (booze) of $30 per day.

Make sure payment is in advance.

If it has anything to do with ANY goverment - do not waist your time mate.

Payment in advance -they slip once - leave !

Never stay longer than 60 days - will drive you nuts - believe me ..

All the best and good luck.

If you want to mention more - more help can come (country etc ..)

Cheers,

Gunsss

212man
9th Aug 2005, 21:48
"Decent wage flying EMS in Africa "

Look up 'Oxymoron' in the dictionary!

Now, 'Offshore' is a different story, as Makila hints at......

CarryOnCopter
10th Aug 2005, 09:02
Gunss has the basics right and you really should take his advice, the other contributers are right, basically CHC or Bristows otherwise be ready for some real fun and no that is not a descent wage.

Now which company is offering that kind of roster?

I think I have a good idea, do yourself a favour, DON'T DO IT.

Go on give us a hint to who you might be playing with or which country.

cpt
10th Aug 2005, 12:15
Hi Goodgrief,

If not on rotation, I should be looking for something at not less than 7000 usd /month + car,+housing,+health insurance, or allowances for it ( try also, to get something for communicatios) and one air ticket (with family if applicable) for yearly leave
It's about what I had in this area of operation a short while ago, was living well with this.

airspeed alive
24th Jan 2006, 21:15
Any voortrekkers using this forum working for Starlite Aviation in Sudan?. If so would appreciate an intelligence update by PM.
Cheers, airspeed alive

CareBear
4th Apr 2006, 11:27
We are currently looking for an Experienced Bolkow 105 pilot, preferably with NVG experience, to work on a short term contract in Southern Sudan. The position may become permanent after the initial period. The contract starts in May and would initially run for two months.
It is most likely that this contract will be extended indefinitely, and even if it is not, the helicopter would return to it’s previous duties working in the HEMS role out of Uganda. (We have a permanent base at the main hospital in Kampala). We would want you to take over the running of this operation in that case.
The head office of the company is based in Nairobi and we operate BO 105LS, AS355N, AS350B2, and Enstrom 280 and 480T.

If you are interested in the position, PM me or email [email protected]
Salary is not yet fixed and would to some extent depend on the experience of the candidate, but it should be in the order of US$6,000 per month for a full time employee of the company. It is anticipated that the Sudan Rota would be based on a 6 weeks on / 2weeks off schedule.

Gray 14
4th Apr 2006, 14:32
A few suggestions here. Could you advise on the role of the machine in the Sudan operation? How do you plan to use it?

Also, better wages and a better (equal time) schedule would probably get you some decent replies for the position. Permanent job in Kenya sounds interesting, though.

Later,

EESDL
4th Apr 2006, 15:36
not the same Jay Chandler whose MQ at Shawbury was full of fish?

shanel
4th Apr 2006, 15:48
Hope all is well with you guys.

Cheers Shane

CareBear
8th Apr 2006, 13:35
Remuneration now likely to be $300 per day with flights in and out.
Main work will be medevac plus general pax charter around Southern Sudan. Aircraft is being operated on behalf of Unity Resources Group who will provide all the flight bookings etc.

fling-wing_1
19th Apr 2006, 22:47
Anybody know what the current status of the Chevron operation in Angola is? I was in the running for a mechanic position with them last spring but didn't get it and was just asked for an updated resume last month. I haven't heard back from them since and I'm finding it rather frustrating not being able to find out what's going on. Anybody with some info want to fill me in? Are they up and running, are the guys working there happy, ect?

Hiro Protagonist
20th Apr 2006, 04:30
In a rather bizzare coincidence, I flew a man on a tour of the Grand Canyon today who works in the oil industry in Angola. He stated that their helicopters had been provided by PHI, but were now provided by the oil co. (I can't remember who he worked for it may well have been chevron.) His assessment was that the were trying to maintain the fleet with too few trained professionals mechanics. It sounded like many trainee level guys wrenching under the supervision of a few mechanics. We didn't really get into to many details as I had duties to perform (sandwiches to hand out, sparkling wine (can't spell champaingnee (and it's from calif.)) to pour, etc...)

(sorry about the nested parenthesis (I should never have given up programming computers (there more acceptable there!)))

So there you have it, not very well informed bits of probably incorrectly heard information from halfway around the world. I just couldn't pass up the coincidence, and it sounds like wherever this gentleman worked could use some proper mechanics, so maybe you've got a chance... Good luck.

bellfest
21st Apr 2006, 01:55
I think you will find that Chevron is having problems with the government certifying their aircraft. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ATN
21st Apr 2006, 07:14
The contract in Cabinda went to Sunair with 407s and 109s.

ATN

Berten
21st Apr 2006, 15:41
Anybody having a view the tenders in the Oil & Gas in this countries (Angola, Cameroen, etc....) Any body contacts in the Oil & Gas?

fling-wing_1
21st Apr 2006, 16:03
So is Sunair running the operation there now? From my conversations with them last spring they were planning to have the first aircraft online a year ago last June/July. Two Dash 8's, two 430's and a 427 from what I was told. My contact there was Kenny Huete, the DOM I believe, but he's a hard guy to get a hold of. Anybody have any contacts over there with some first hand knowledge???

cpt
21st Apr 2006, 17:35
At my knowledge, I have had the occasion to cross some of thieir 427 and 430...(nice painting ! ) off shore of Cabinda.The operating company is named "Heli-Malongo"
The 2 Dash 8 regulary shuttle between Cabinda and Luanda.
I believe they are still expecting a bunch of helicopters to reach the planned number.

zeefly
23rd Aug 2006, 13:37
hi,
having read through some threads im still somewhat unclear on training in south africa so here's the question/s i have:
Currently passed out my ppl (h) in south africa , now starting training towards Cpl(h) , is it worth me doing the ground school exams in south africa if i have to do them all again in the UK.
Secondly i will have approx 180/200 hours when i return to the uk , will the hours count towards cpl, and flight instructor courses.
What i don't want to do is spend time and money in S.Africa and then find i have to do it all over again in the Uk
Hope it makes sense, thanks in anticipation!

FlightOops
23rd Aug 2006, 18:20
Zeefly,
Having been through a similar painful decision process (Australian CPL(H) converted to JAA-CPL(H)) I can offer the following comment:

Your hours will count towards the requirement in the UK (its a good idea to ensure your log book is stamped by the school where you're training - it may even be a requirement, so no doubt others will comment)
In order to obtain you SA CPL(H) you'll need to do your SA exams - if you want a JAA CPL(H) you'll need to do the JAR exams - sorry, its a painful but rewarding process
JAA-CPL(H) min 185 hours before licence issue (unless on an integrated course) - only "training as required" for a foreign ICAO licence - no requirement to do a 30hr modular course (but a prudent move if you can afford the expense)
All licensing requirements in LASORS http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf - check it out to ensure you meet min requirements for licence issue (eg x-country, night, instrument etc)
JAA-FI(H) min 250 hours to start a 30 hour course with groundschool also

There is loads of "devil in the detail" so the above is just a brief synopsis of the requirements, which should be sufficient to at least help you start to make decisions.
Overriding advice: take the licence in the country you wish to / can work (and can afford !)
Best of luck and keep at it.
FO

zeefly
23rd Aug 2006, 19:25
Many Thanks, may has well continue has they are offering me a mountain course (R44) and game capture has part of the Cpl (h) package! and i will return and probably join with Cabair and see where it takes me..... thanks again

zeefly
26th Sep 2006, 10:35
Hi, Going to the US and completing my Faa PPL(H) was not has the website made out hidden charges!!
Anyway after some re-search I found South Africa (Durban) to be the "Cost Effective" way and its CAA, Flying from 115 Quid an Hour!!!! Taught me game capture, mountain flying etc etc.

zeefly
26th Sep 2006, 10:58
I have noticed a earlier thread enquiring where best to train.....we'll having done both countries i would most definatley say South Africa they are soon to be JAA Approved, 115 Quid an Hour! and accomodation and living expenses are very, very cheap (5* accomodation 25 quid a night).

Be aware hidden cost in american training schools, they're marketing experts

R1Tamer
26th Sep 2006, 13:06
Are they likely to be doing IR's any time soon?

joyrider
26th Sep 2006, 13:18
Most training schools over here do IRs. 40 hrs of which 20 can be in a sim. Some places do it in an R22 which would work out at around 115 - 150 pounds per hour depending on where you go. Sim time much cheaper, between 25 - 60 pounds per hour (Rand is sliding again - 14.5 to the pound now).

Flingwing207
26th Sep 2006, 13:56
Er, good for you?

B Sousa
26th Sep 2006, 13:59
Based on where the SA Rand is going ,Joyrider may have a point. Today now the Rand is 14.55/Pound and 7.67/Dollar not to bad.
As with everything you have to watch out for those who "see you coming". No upfront money etc. Go to the African Aviation forum and there are always gripes about getting ripped off. It happens all over the world. Just keep your eyes open and get some advice outside the box.
SA is a beautiful place, consider it.

B Sousa
26th Sep 2006, 14:07
There is already another thread on this.......Mods should join them up..

Zeefly, good you had fun. Game Capture should help in the UK, you can Dart some of the Loonie Lefties.

Heliport
26th Sep 2006, 14:19
Joined. Good idea Bert.

Agree with you about the beauty of South Africa but, judging by the number of posts zeefly has tried to post today plugging one school, it's not game he's trying to capture. ;)

zeefly
26th Sep 2006, 14:42
fair-play heliport!!:D

Pandalet
27th Sep 2006, 13:17
Wait, am I understanding correctly? There's a school in SA that has (or is close to getting) (UK)CAA approval to conduct JAR training (a la HAI)? If someone knows of such a school, please post (or PM) a link...

joyrider
28th Sep 2006, 05:52
Pandalet

Rumour has it that the South African licences are soon to become JAA approved. Maintain a listening watch...

Ioan
3rd Dec 2006, 14:53
Anyone got any info on Starlite Aviation?

I had a search for other threads about them and its seems they don't have a great reputation, but I can't seem to find out why. Has anyone actually worked for them? They seem quite a large company judging by their website.

Ioan

cmac
3rd Dec 2006, 19:47
I did my traing with them and i couldn't have been happier, very professional and great instructors! i'm not to sure about thier overseas contracts but i did one or two charters for them before i went to fly in the congo and thier charter side in south africa is top notch!

joyrider
4th Dec 2006, 11:18
Starlite Helicopters, formerly Chopper Flying Services are one of three helicopter companies based at Virginia Airport, Durban North. They do a lot of training - last I heard they were training the South African Police pilots, as well as for foreign military pilots. Used to have the Netstar contract but lost it to NAC recently. Used to have the beach rescue contract too but I believe they have lost that too - any confirmation? They do charter too and also operate a few Pumas overseas, in the Sudan and Indonesia. Used to operate in Spain too - is that still going?

Anyway, yes they are a large company. But enough of the facts - now for the gossip:E

Not as big as they used to be. Lost a couple of key employees recently and then lost a couple of contracts. Some aircraft owners have withdrawn their machines in acrimonious circumstances. Their training side is rumoured to be more focussed on the big money earners (Police & military contracts) than on single individuals who get second class treatment.

Or so I've heard.

Whirlygig
4th Dec 2006, 11:26
That would make sense! I approached them a couple of years ago to do some Jet Ranger flying with them. Calls not returned, emails not answered. In the end I went down the other end of Virginia Airport to NAC where I couldn't have got better treatment or instruction!

Cheers

Whirls

Ioan
4th Dec 2006, 17:03
Thanks. I too emailed them about some training a while back and they still haven't got back to me. Got me wondering... NAC look tidy enough, as do Base4. I'll look into those as well. Cheers!

joyrider
Any more news about that rumour yet?

discobeast
6th Dec 2006, 21:59
just wondering: when did the SA Police start training their own pilots? last time i heard, they used civvy/ex mil pilots and did not do any training as such.

cheers! :ok:

joyrider
11th Dec 2006, 15:08
Ioan - sorry not heard any more yet.

Discobeast, Starlite were awarded the contract a couple of years ago. As far as I know, in all that time only one student has joined the SAPS airwing from the training programme, and because SOPs require 800 hrs minimum, that student does not yet have command (i.e. can only fly under supervision of another pilot). In the meantime as pilots leave SAPS, they have had to recruit externally while waiting for the new students to come on stream. It may take a lot longer yet - 2 students have pranged aircraft and one student (rumoured to be related to a senior government figure) left after obtaining their comm at taxpayers expense.

Or so I've heard.

biggdav
1st Jan 2007, 14:17
Hello,
Was just wandering if anyone here has done any flying in Port Elizabeth, what the schools are like etc etc. Never been but heading there soon. Any info would be much appreciated

PaulSA
2nd Jan 2007, 17:21
I havent read the whole thread (and I'm biased) but...

Great company based at Rand airport. Awesome instructors with loads of commercial experience.Nice to have ppl give a crap bout your training and future for once! (ha ha... from fixed wing -cant compare)

anyway... thoughts? havent really heard of a bad reputation, cant imagine they do..

qwagga1
4th Jan 2007, 06:07
Well Henley Air surely is one of the better flying schools in SA. The people treat you as a proffesional and their approach to the flying industry is proffesional and mature. They also operate as a close family. Awesome place to go to for training seeing that Rand airport is at 5483ft you start with limited power operations from day one. Teaches you alot of respect for the R22.:D

Startlite Aviation has now also secured the contrat for training the military students for the South African Airforce. This is because the SAAF does not have a abanitio Helicopter trainer anymore after the ALO 3 was phased out of service. From what I hear, the holiday in Durban is seriously interfering with their studies. Apparently struggled to pass their exams on a PPL level. :ugh: What next????

I recon for proffesional treatment and having your calls returned at least, the better options at Virginia is NAC and then JNC helicopters.

Pandalet
9th Jan 2007, 12:52
I'm considering a holiday in SA later this year, and wondered about the possibility of a JAA -> SA CAA PPL conversion and some R44 self-fly while out there. Can anyone suggest or recommend a school / hire outfit in the Cape Town area? Any idea as to per-hour prices of a 44?

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of JAA to SA license conversions? What is actually involved, and how long is the process likely to take? Obviously, if there is a 2 month delay between taking a flight test and getting the requisite paperwork, it's probably not something I'd be able to do at the beginning of a 2-week holiday that involves self-flying in week 2...

I've found Base4 so far, but not having much luck beyond that. Their email server appears to have some issues...

Bravo73
9th Jan 2007, 13:55
Does anyone have any first-hand experience of JAA to SA license conversions? What is actually involved, and how long is the process likely to take? Obviously, if there is a 2 month delay between taking a flight test and getting the requisite paperwork, it's probably not something I'd be able to do at the beginning of a 2-week holiday that involves self-flying in week 2...

No first hand experience, I'm afraid, but Google produced this via www.caa.co.za (http://www.caa.co.za/):

http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/AIC'S/30.7.pdf (http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/AIC%27S/30.7.pdf)

Section 4 will apply to you.

HTH,

B73

biggdav
23rd Feb 2007, 23:49
Pandalet,

Ive just been to Port elizabeth and converted my FAA ppl to the South African CAA. Validation paper work takes about week to week and half. All you need to do is PPL airlaw and i did a pre solo exam that the school had. R44 prob works out about £250 hr with instructor which is still £150 cheaper than in uk. Look up helicopter charter and training, they have plenty R44's that could probably do good deal on!
hope this helps
Dave

zigsta
6th Nov 2007, 13:07
Hi all,

Following on from earlier threads have any flying schools in South Africa been approved by the UK CAA for PPL (H) JAR rating? Is it true that JAR class 1 and 2 medicals can be undertaken in South Africa at a cheaper rate than the UK ?

Does anyone know about the reputation of base4avaiation in Cape Town?

Thanks for our assistance in advance.

Bravo73
6th Nov 2007, 13:16
Following on from earlier threads have any flying schools in South Africa been approved by the UK CAA for PPL (H) JAR rating?

To the best of my knowledge, that was just an unsubstantiated rumour. It is very unlikely that any further JAA training establishments will be established outside of Europe (or the JAA states.)

Is it true that JAR class 1 and 2 medicals can be undertaken in South Africa at a cheaper rate than the UK ?

Initial JAR Class 1? No. For the UK, it's Gatwick only.

For Class 1 renewals or initial Class 2, the following details came from the CAA website:

Dr K A Ingham
ARWYP Medical Centre
9th Floor, 21 Central Avenue
Kempton Park
Johannesburg
South Africa
Tel: 00 11 394 6583
[email protected]
Also authorised by CAA South Africa, CAA Ghana, CASA, Transport Canada (subject to valid approval)

Dr K A Ingham
Central Aerospace Medicine
IL Placere Office Park
Block A, First Floor
49 New Road
Grand Central Airport, Midrand
Johannesburg
South Africa
Tel: 00 27 11 315 5817
Fax: 00 27 11 315 5817
[email protected]

Dr P W Buys
PO Box 39298
Moreletapart
RSA
South Africa
Tel: +27 12 998 5928
[email protected]

HTH

zigsta
6th Nov 2007, 13:21
Hi Bravo,
Thanks for the rapid reply. Would you know of anyone suitably qualified in the UK to do the annual SA PPL (H) check flight (and SA medical) or would i have to return to SA every year in order to do this?

Bravo73
6th Nov 2007, 15:42
I wouldn't know, I'm afraid.

Try asking Pandalet - she seems to be reasonably knowledgeable about the SA flying scene.

Pandalet
6th Nov 2007, 16:07
Medical examiners in the UK (taken from www.caa.co.za): (http://www.caa.co.za%29:)

Orton, Peter
aviation medica inflite, hangar 1, first avenue, londonstanstedairport, essex, cm 241RY
09-44 1279 661 580

gatwick

tallent, david, n
brookdale medical centre, 79 povey cross road, gatwick airport, rh6 0ae, uk
09-44-1293-776-996

kent

alexander, bruce, r
9 de havillands, bekesbourne, ct45bw, kent, uk
09-44-1843-222-404

london

perry, i
19 cliveden place, london
09-44-207-730-8045

stortford

wallace, jt
40 hadham road, bishop stortford, herts, cm23 2qt
09-44-1279-654-053

GATWICK

edington, kenneth
Airport medical services, 35 massets road, horley (near gatwick), surrey, rh6 7dQ, uk
09-44-1293-775-336

goodwin, sa
Airport medical services, 35 massets road, horley (near gatwick), surrey, rh6 7dQ, uk
09-44-1293-775-336

As far as flight examiners go, I know of one chap in England who does fixed-wing exams, but nothing for rotary. That said, I haven't looked all that hard, as I always intended to do JAA qualifications.

I have flown with Base4, and found them to be friendly and helpful. Be warned, though, they are very busy, so if have weather cancellations (because you were there in the middle of winter, natch :hmm:), you may have to wait some time before you can re-book. I am aware of at least one other operator in Cape Town (of whom I have no experience), and can highly recommend one in Port Elizabeth.

When I was there in August, SA was in the process of switching to the new computer-based exams and the streamlined foreign license validation process, so things were a bit chaotic, but I would imagine they've settled down a bit now. I can give you the full run-down on getting a JAA PPL(H) validated and pleasure flying in SA (including which bits of Cape Town International Airport NOT to fly over) if you're interested.

zigsta
6th Nov 2007, 16:13
Hi Pandalet,
Bravo suggested i contact you with regards to PPL heli training in South Africa. I've looked into various schools in the cape Town area and would appreciate any feedback you could give me. In particular do you know anything about base4aviation?

The options i have to complete my training are as follows (if your eyes glaze over please accept my apologies and hit delete immediately :ok: ) :

1) Do my entire training in a R22 here in London. I passed my final PPL (H) theory exam in May 2006 so i believe i have until May 2008 to pass the skills test. The downside of flying here from what i've read is that it's difficult to accumulate hours (at least 45 required) given the bad weather we have over the winter and early Spring period. This coupled with the extra cost makes it my least desirable option. (My current choice of school here is heliair based in Denham).

2) I have 30 hours logged in a R44 in malaysia (last logged hours in March 2006). I could continue training In Kuala Lumpur and would probably need at least another 35 hours before im proficient enough to take the skills test. I need only take 2 exams to gain my Malaysian PPL (H). The risk i run here is that if i'm unable to pass my skills test within 35 hours then flying in a R22 in South Africa from scratch would have been more cost effective. Also upon my return to convert licenses i would have to take my skils test in a R44 which is £££

3) Go to South Africa and train from scratch on a R22. I would need 50 hours training and would have to take 5 theory exams. I could also do a R44 crossover course. If i wanted to convert this license to UK would i have to take the UK skills tests in a R22 and then get validation for my R44 type rating? Finally assuming i take this option and looking ahead are there any South African instructors in the UK who can do SA PPL (H) renewals and medicals?

Best regards

zigsta
6th Nov 2007, 16:21
Hi Pandalet,
You answered a few of my questions before i posted ;)

I'm kind of doing the reverse of you. Getting a SA PPL (H) first and then converting to a UK. I've been in touch with Base4 and they have suggested that February is a good time to start as the weather improves. I have passed all of my UK exams so as long as i pass my skills test here before May 08 i'll have no issues. The only reason i'm considering doing the UK conversion is so that i can continue my training and get type ratings here.

Pandalet
7th Nov 2007, 08:09
You appear to have done various bits of training all over the place!

How recently did you do the 30 hours in Malaysia? I'm not sure if any of the schools here would be prepared/able to credit you those hours towards a PPL(H), but I'd definately ask around - even if you get half of them credited, that's 15 hours towards your PPL!

If you did a South African PPL, I believe you'd still need to do the skill tests (ie. both R22 and R44) here to get it converted. Check LASORS for that.

As regards training here, while Heli-Air are very good, be warned they aren't the cheapest. Just a thought. In addition, you might find that some of the other operators in SA are a bit cheaper than Base4. Also, accomodation and living costs will be lower outside Cape Town (although if you're paying in GBP, it's all pretty cheap).

As regards the UK PPL theory exams, I believe you have 18 months from passing the last paper to pass your skills test, not 24 - again, I'm open to correction here, so check LASORS.

Basically, as has been said before, you need to decide what you want to do. If you're only planning on flying for pleasure, then it doesn't really matter where you train, so long as the quality of the training is decent. If you want to ultimately work in (say) the UK, the more of your training you can do here, the better. Just make sure you've considered all angles before you commit :).

Bravo73
7th Nov 2007, 08:21
Pandalet,

Just a small point.

As regards the UK PPL theory exams, I believe you have 18 months from passing the last paper to pass your skills test, not 24 - again, I'm open to correction here, so check LASORS.

It is 24 months. You have 18 months in which to pass all of your exams. Once they have been completed, this exam 'block' is then valid for 24 months ie you've got to pass the flight test within 2 years of finishing your last exam.

An applicant shall be deemed to have
successfully completed the theoretical examinations for
the JAR-FCL PPL(H) when awarded a pass in all of the
above examinations within a period of 18 months
counted from the end of the calendar month when the
applicant first attempted an examination. A pass will be
accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(H) during the
24 months from the date of successfully completing the
theoretical knowledge examinations.

HTH

Pandalet
7th Nov 2007, 08:23
Bravo, I stand corrected, thanks! I remembered there was an 18 months in there somewhere...

zigsta
7th Nov 2007, 08:32
Bravo/Pandalet,
Thanks for your input and advice, much appreciated :) I logged all of my R44 training hours at a school in Malaysia in March 2006. I had intended to train in a 22 but there was issues with the paperwork and so the school decided to let me fly the 44 at the 22 rate. At the time this seemed like a great deal but its come back to bite me in the ass as to get a SA PPL or UK PPL i have to do at least 45-50 hours in the same type rating.

There was no logic in choosing Heliair to train in the UK other than it's the closest school to my house. If i were to train in Cape Town i'd be staying with friends so accomodation costs would be negligible.

zigsta
8th Nov 2007, 13:18
Does anyone know how long after passing the PPL (H)) skills test in South Africa does the local CAA issue the license/documentation?

Will this need to be produced before a skills/conversion test can be taken in the UK?

Hover Junkie
8th Nov 2007, 13:40
Does anyone know how long after passing the PPL (H)) skills test in South Africa does the local CAA issue the license/documentation?

Hi,
Best is to arrive at the CAA at about 1100am, submit all your paperwork, have some lunch and pick up your license afterwards. It usually takes about 45min to 1hr15. The exception would be longer.
Good luck!:ok:

zigsta
8th Nov 2007, 13:48
Thanks Hover Junkie :) I have a limited amount of time in between trying to get my SAA PPL and being able to convert it here in the UK. Being able to pick up the license a day or so after is a god send.

On a slightly different note if i were to get a SA PPL(h) on a R22 and also type rated on the R44 would i need to take skills tests on both crafts here in the UK?

Hover Junkie
8th Nov 2007, 13:52
Pleasure, Zigsta

Regarding the skills test, Yes, I believe you will have to. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this, but for every different type of aircraft that you wish to have a license for, you need to do a skills test.
Hope this helps:confused:

Pandalet
8th Nov 2007, 14:02
It's worth noting that the CAA is in Pretoria, so if you want to submit paperwork in person, you need be in Pretoria too. It's perfectly possible to hop on a budget airline in the morning (from, say Cape Town), hire a car for a day, do the CAA thing, then fly back in the afternoon, although that does add more cost.

I believe there are expediting services in Pretoria you can courier your paperwork to, who then go and submit everything in person for you, but I have no idea what this costs.

My experience of the SA CAA is that they're fantastically helpful, if you tell them exactly what you need and give them some notice. I ended up organising a courier to pick up the validation documents from them (having done all the applications from the UK in advance), resulting in me having my paperwork in my hand on day 2 of the holiday. I strongly recommend getting a phone number for whoever is dealing with your application and checking in with them periodically.

zigsta
8th Nov 2007, 14:05
Thanks Pandalet.

rockpecker
8th Nov 2007, 21:25
They are simply one of the smartest helicopter operators in the country. Run by a very intelligent, very pleasant family, they are a pleasure to do business with. Just a look at their international clientele inspires confidence. Whether their flight school or their charter side, they set an example that is worth aspiring for. See www.henleyair.co.za (http://www.henleyair.co.za)
:ok::ok::ok:

akut
2nd Jan 2008, 10:37
phoebus apollo , rand airport, jnb

HeliRookie
12th Jul 2008, 15:50
Hi all,
Been reading past posts about flight schools in durbs but realise things change over time. Looking to complete my PPL(H) plus about 20-30hrs at either Starlite, NAC or JNC. Not from South Africa so any tips/words of wisdom would be appreciated. Cheers

OilyKnight
11th Nov 2008, 17:31
Since the GBP still seem reasonably strong against the ZAR ,and there seems to be a multitude of flights schools offering such training all over SA, I was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experiences with any of the schools, or would be able to recomend one for a commerical helicopter licence?

ToTall
11th Nov 2008, 17:47
Hi
I did my PPL in SA and then went to the US to the rest. If you are planning to go to SA I will recommend Cape Town and Heli. They have R22 and 44 and are a really friendly bunch.
Flying in and around CPT is really interesting and fun. You do alot of solo flying or you bring friends with you.

Contact Heli and Janie and say hi from me :ok:

OilyKnight
11th Nov 2008, 17:59
Cheers for that mate, I was checking both of their sites out yesterday.

Can I be rude and ask how much you paid to get your ppl H out there, very few companies seem willing to post it on their site.

B Sousa
11th Nov 2008, 18:43
Never trained there, but trust me if your in the UK now and train in SA, the difference in price should be seriously looked at. I think you will save a small fortune in comparison, albeit not cheap no matter how you cut it.
No matter where you go, remember money up front is usually money that has a tendancy to disappear. Thats not to discredit any school. Just watch your money.

Whirlygig
11th Nov 2008, 19:37
Flying in South AFrica is fab and the standard of training is pretty good. However, if you don't have the right to work in South Africa, an RSA CPL will be pretty useless. So, if you want a JAA licence, you will need to consider the conversion costs.

Cheers

Whirls

ToTall
11th Nov 2008, 20:47
Again everything comes down to cost.
You are allowed to stay in SA for 6 months and going down there now and get your Comm done and then may be a CFI you could work there till March and get some hours.

But as Whirls say you need to convert it to other licenses if you cant work down there.

Pandalet
12th Nov 2008, 07:59
Be careful - a 6 month holiday visa (or visa-waiver equivalent) generally doesn't allow you to work! Doing so may be in contravention of your visa. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but at least be aware of what you're getting in to.

Also, be aware that you need 200 hours for the SA CPL, versus 150 (or 155) for a JAA. And to convert back to JAA involves completing the entire groundschool syllabus (9 or 14 exams), although you could skip some or all of the flight training, depending on your skill level and what the local school thinks of it.

Consider Helicopter Charter & Training in Port Elizabeth - the surroundings are fantastic, and they're often less busy with better weather than CT. They can also organise accomodation (the owner also owns a backpackers) plus lifts to and from the airport (no car hire).

Need money
16th Feb 2009, 09:36
Can anyone recommend a flight school in South Africa (Cape Town) for either Self fly hire (R22) - or R44 conversion ?

Would the conversion be valid in JAA land ?

Thanks.

Pandalet
16th Feb 2009, 12:22
Base4 in CT are pretty good, although they are often quite busy, so book in advance. I don't know whether they run R22s, but they definately have R44s.

Whether you can do the R44 rating there depends on your licenses. If you hold a SA PPL (ie. you qualified there), and hold a UK PPL on the basis of the SA one (ie. the UK PPL is a validation of the SA one), then you could (probably) add a rating to the SA license, then get the UK CAA to reciprocate on the validation (with, no doubt, the payment of wads of wonga).

On the other hand, if your primary license is a UK (JAA) one, and you're flying in SA on a validation, as the school in SA is not a TRTO for the UK CAA, the training can't count towards a license. The best you could hope for would be to get some training from someone who knows the UK syllabus and use that to bargain for a 3-hour type-rating from a school in the UK. Remember that to get a 3-hour TR, the school has to be licensed for it AND have it written into their AOC and ops manual; not everyone has this exemption. You also have to convince them that your training overseas was of a high enough standard that they actually don't need to take 5 hours over getting you through.

If you're planning route 2 above, I'd strongly suggest doing LOTS of planning and phoning around first!

zigsta
23rd Feb 2009, 08:26
NeedMoney i did my PPL training at Base4 and have nothing but praise for them. The entire team is supportive and enthusiastic about aviation and you are welcomed into the fold like a family member.

Be warned that from May - September is Winter season and you may not get much flying done during these months.

PM me if you want more details.

Need money
23rd Feb 2009, 09:18
Hi,

Thanks for the input - it will be touch and go anyway. I have just got my PPL(H) test past, and only just (last week) sent off the paperwork - so I doubt this will be back in time for my SA trip in 2 weeks !!

I might have a leson or 2 time permitting (just means I won't have any docs - but for a lesson that should not matter !?)

Might do a tourist flip over Cape Town for the experience anyway.....

Screw Loose
29th Mar 2009, 09:44
Hi guys,
There must be a thread somewhere on this.
Anyone got any info on converting from Australian cplh / Png cplh to South African equivalent?
Whats involved, who to contact etc etc. Cost?...
Just looking about.... as we do..... seeing what's involved.
cheers
SL

tiento
30th Mar 2009, 06:16
Hi SL,

Go to CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za)

The site is not the best. Select 'Licencing and Examinations' at left, then select 'Licencing' at left. Then find. 'Validation of Foreign Licences' which will refer you in turn to a very tedious index page for AIC's. On the index page, the one you want is 30.7 under - you guessed it - Validation of Foreign licences.

There requirements are fairly similar to Aus, I think: Air Law Exam, Medical and flight test. Most of the flight schools will know the ropes when it comes to dealing with the CAA.

Good luck!

Screw Loose
30th Mar 2009, 22:45
Cheers for that Tiento
Just what I'm after...... doesn't sound too bad at all
SL

skypilots76
2nd Apr 2009, 16:46
Hi,
I guess the SA holiday is probably over!
For future reference, try 43 Air School at Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape. Probably the best flight school in SA with a small RW training cell operating a fleet of R22s & at least 1xR44 for IR work. They are (or at least, were,) part of NAC.
They also conduct JAA/EASA courses though whether that has reached the helicopter training cell yet I don't know.
If googling doesn't work or if I can help further, please drop me an email.

pak0pak
5th Feb 2014, 15:56
Cape town flying club, is next to the CTI airport, allow's you to experiance heavy traffic and serious ATF.

Just a good place to learn or get crushed by a a380.

Rusty1983
30th Sep 2015, 07:14
Anyone got some personal reputation/experience from starlite aviation for me?

further, got someone information how much a zero to cpl training would cost in south african currency?

thanks!

kcotskcalb
30th Sep 2015, 12:38
Rusty,

My son has just started his chopper comm from zero and the quotes I got varied from R720 000 to R1 300 000!It all depended on whether he did R22 and R44 with turbine conversion or just a R22.

Starlite was one of the more expensive ones but their quote incl a turbine conversion onto a R66. A good school by all accounts. They have just started training on the Cabri G2. Nice little chopper.

I found it cheaper to do just the R22 comm and then a R44 conversion at the end.

Hot and Hi
30th Sep 2015, 16:53
Powered Flight Training at Wonderboom airport (Pretoria) offer ab initial to comm training on R22, R44 and Fama K209 turbine helicopter. Most of the hours building up to comm level can be done on the Fama turbine at an hourly cost similar to R22, so that by the time the student is ready, s/he already has over 100 hrs turbine experience.

The Fama K209 is a non type-certified helicopter, and is licensed (in South Africa) for training, game work and other types of aerial work (but not for charter).

Rusty1983
5th Oct 2015, 10:04
Thanks for the information with the money and the school, I am getting in contact with them.

Open question about the student visa. If I am finished with the training, maybe in the first year and the student visa would end, is there some possibility to stay longer for hour building/gain job experience, looking for a job or would I get deported after the training, if I get no job offer or something similar?

Rusty1983
6th Oct 2015, 12:38
Would the Fama hours be accepted as turbine hours in other countries too? I know that they are already in the certification process for FAA/EASA, but I dont know if they would accept the hours you have flown on this type of helicopter, therefore I am a little bit ditrustful.

Rusty1983
14th Oct 2015, 09:10
short question:
Does anyone know how much the monthly living costs (std. accommodation, public transport, food,...) would be in "mossel bay" for international student, because I am planning to do there my zero to CPLH training? Would 8k-10k rand be enough?

HeliHenri
14th Oct 2015, 09:19
Mossel Bay, you're going for Starlite ?

Flyting
14th Oct 2015, 11:53
Public transport....??? TIA - this is africa....

Best is to buy a cheap second hand car for the time you're there and then sell it once you've finished.
Motoring, Western Cape, Garden Route, Mossel Bay | Junk Mail Classifieds Vehicles For Sale in Mossel Bay | Junk Mail Classifieds (http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/western-cape/garden-route/mossel-bay/)

Look to rent something a bit more permanent/long tem here: Property to Rent, Western Cape, Garden Route, Mossel Bay | Junk Mail Classifieds Property to rent in Mossel Bay | Junk Mail Classifieds (http://www.junkmail.co.za/property-to-rent/western-cape/garden-route/mossel-bay/)

Startlite is a great choice... with a good chance for something in the future with them

Rusty1983
14th Oct 2015, 19:31
yes, it seems like i am doing it with starlite. my only concerns are going on visa conditions and hopefully the exchange rate would not drop into bad!

thx for the info flyting!

Rusty1983
19th Oct 2015, 07:38
Someone got there any information for me? I contacted 2 weeks ago already the SA government, but since now I have no feedback

.....Open question about the student visa. If I am finished with the training, maybe in the first year and the student visa would end, is there some possibility to stay longer for hour building/gain job experience, looking for a job or would I get deported after the training, if I get no job offer or something similar? (similar to the F1 visa in the US)....

Hot and Hi
20th Oct 2015, 11:55
I contacted 2 weeks ago already the SA government, but since now I have no feedback
Wow! Where do you live? (OK, Australia, it says so). So one can 'contact' your government there? And they respond?
For our part of the world, I suggest you read Franz Kafka, The Trial, to get an idea.

Rusty1983
21st Oct 2015, 08:35
Öhm, yes they respond. NZ and US did and Austria for sure also, they have separate dpt. for aliens ;) who want to invest in the country and push it. Seems like in SA there are different rules in cooperations with government ;)

But not waiting on reply of them, isn´t there anyone in the forum who made some experience with the visa after ending of 1 year? What are the options afterwards with the SA CPLH, except doing licence conversion in another country?

nigelh
15th May 2017, 21:05
Does anyone know of a good company to do some training with near Joburg / Durban ?
Ideally want to fly AS350 or 206 and do CPL conversion .

Flyting
16th May 2017, 04:03
in Joburg Henley Air & Durban Starlite Aviation

Dynasty375
16th May 2017, 06:41
Hi Nigel,

I trained with Henley Air at Rand (joberg) going back a few years. I don't think you'd be disappointed there.

Maybe worth trying to get hold of Andre Coetzee and see what they can do!

macak mance
12th Apr 2024, 12:08
Good afternoon, gentlemen and ladies. I am from Serbia, and I was considering going to South Africa to obtain my PPL and CPL.
As I was touring Antigua & Barbuda, a helicopter pilot advised me that it would be best to obtain your license in the nation where you intend to fly.
I would like to know if it makes sense to complete the courses in South Africa and then complete the conversion in, say, the United States for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and a European country for the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)?
Is it better to start somewhere or is it more costly to convert after the courses?

212man
12th Apr 2024, 21:01
It’s not what it’s cricked up to be 😂

WillyPete
23rd Apr 2024, 13:51
When I looked at it they had just changed the EASA rules to require 50 hours of "conversion" training if you had a PPL from somewhere like South Africa.
So basically cost as much to do the EASA anyway.