PDA

View Full Version : Aerostar Missing off Cooly

puff
27th Jan 2004, 16:24
Reports on the news tonight of a missing Aerostar from Coolangatta today that left with 2 POB on a 'assymetric' training flight at midday.....aircraft has disappeared off the coast, 4 aircraft involved in a search

Unsure if true knowing the media but the company involved appears to be the flight training company that pprune censors...

Lets hope there is some good news but it certainly doesn't look good

cold
27th Jan 2004, 17:51
from www.news.com.au

some wreckage of the aircraft has been found 10nm east of byron bay.

not looking good.

18-Wheeler
27th Jan 2004, 17:55
What's the rego of it?

AD/DUNNY/01
27th Jan 2004, 17:55
Not good at all...good luck guys!!!!!!!!!

ABC News
"Debris found in missing plane search
Debris have been found, believed to be from a light plane missing off the north coast of New South Wales.

The twin-engine aircraft, with two men on board, left Coolangatta for a two-hour training flight at 12:00pm (AEST).

Ben Mitchell from Australian Search and Rescue says there has been a sighting in the water about 10 nautical miles east of Byron Bay.

"We're searching on the premise that we have two survivors in the water," he said.

"We've got two aircraft with night vision gear and two vessels heading out to where the debris was found, they're heading to a position where we believe the plane has crashed into the water."

Mr Mitchell says seven helicopters and two planes are involved in the search operation.

"They are now well and truly overdue, their fuel endurance has now expired and they were last seen on radar heading away from the coast which adds up to a picture that paints a potential problem," he said.
"

Who's the mob that do the cadet training for ********/****** whoever it is up that way...?? They got an Aerostar in the course schedule for twin advanced stuff... Either way not good news.

18-Wheeler
27th Jan 2004, 18:03
Found it, it's VH-WRF.

Condolences for anyone that knows the crew. :(

Greg_Smithy
27th Jan 2004, 19:29
Are you sure it is WRF?

Johhny Utah
27th Jan 2004, 19:47
Greg - check your PM's...

GCP
27th Jan 2004, 21:12
Sad news,

Anyone I know?
GCP

kiki
27th Jan 2004, 22:27
hmmmmmmm stuff that. Hopefull that they are ok..

altocu
28th Jan 2004, 12:56
From ABC News:

Last Update: Wednesday, January 28, 2004. 12:46 PM (AEST)

Search fails to find plane crash victims

Rescue crews searching for a light plane off the coast of northern New South Wales are continuing to recover debris that they believe is from the missing plane.

There are grave concerns for the welfare of the two men on board.

The 39-year-old student pilot and 59-year-old instructor were planning to fly to Byron Bay when they left Coolangatta Airport around lunch time yesterday.

The pair never returned from the two hour trip.

An aerial search involving several helicopters and planes last night found insulation, a flight manual, a blanket and sheet metal.

This morning authorities recovered a plane seat cushion.

Brett Knowles from the Careflight Rescue Helicopter says all the debris has been recovered in waters south of Byron Bay.

"I know it's within about a 15 to 20 nautical mile range off the coast of the Ballina area, sort of the south-south west," he said.

Australian Search and Rescue says the operation will be scaled down slightly throughout the afternoon.

Greg_Smithy
28th Jan 2004, 16:03
Now that names have been released:

Woody- A fantastic bloke who would do almost anything for you. Please remember his passing as one of the few who decided to put as much back into aviation as he himself got out of it.
Woody is a great mate.

Demo - A bloke who wanted to fly. An open hearted fellow who could and would do all that he was able to assist anyone. He put his all into his goal.

Their passing is a sad loss to everyone who is remotely connected to aviation.

Wish them well where ever they may be as they are sure to enliven the joint and have a good time

swh
28th Jan 2004, 19:06
Another sad loss of life, any connection with ****** ?

ATR Driver
28th Jan 2004, 20:51
Obviously they're endurance has ended, lets let them lay.
Funeral for 2 amazing people to be advised.

In my memories,
ATR.

PS. 18 Wheeler....Bit discouraged that your first concern was to know about the rego of the plane, and not it's occupants? As you are a long time mate of mine I will assume this as a bad judgment on your behalf.

PSS. 18 Wheeler...Shags told me you got the Left seat booked. Well done, no one I know has had a passion to get there like you.
Congratulations stretch. ATR.

18-Wheeler
28th Jan 2004, 22:54
There's nothing I can do about helping the crew now that they're gone. I don't want to make the mistake of contacting people to ask if their partner was on that plane, it's the last thing they need. That's been done far too many times in this industry.
I thought it might be the old 601P I used to fly, VH-HFY, hence the interest in the callsign.
I was going to wait to find out the names, then go from there.
Been there too many times, sadly ...

Never forget Glenn, Rod, & Hamish, mate.

Left seat still not confirmed as such, but the chances are good! I'll believe it when it happens though.

4dogs
29th Jan 2004, 14:15
Folks,

Anyone aware of the funeral arrangements, particularly for John Woodman?

4dogs

4dogs
30th Jan 2004, 20:33
Memorial service on Thursday 5 Feb 04 @ the Mac flight apron Cooly airport