PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Newbie.

DeepC
27th Jan 2004, 15:47
I am having my Pipex broadband activated next Monday and I am looking for a bit of advice how I can protect my computer when it's contstantly connected to the net.

I am running XP with Norton Antivirus. Can I configure these in such a way that my PC is safe and I don't have to invest in some fancy firewall software?

Any info very greatfully received.

Thanks

DeepC

Jet II
27th Jan 2004, 18:22
I would always advise that anyone with BB uses a firewall - if you don't want to invest in a decent one - use the built-in firewall in XP or get Zone Alarm which is free.

DeepC
27th Jan 2004, 19:54
Jet II

Thanks for the reply,

I might think about investing if people advise me that the XP one is a bit pants and that a purchased one might be more manageable and more secure.

Can you provide me some names of firewall software which would be suitable for a broadband home user.

Thanks

Dan

FlyingV
27th Jan 2004, 20:22
If you've already got Norton AV, I'd suggest you comlpement it with Norton Firewall.

I've been using that setup with my bb connection (connected more-or-less 24/7 for the past year) and never had a problem.

TimS
27th Jan 2004, 21:51
As you have Norton Anti Virus you will qualify for 'upgrade' to Norton Internet Security 2004 (has some useful additional functions over 2003) for about GBP 29 (in the UK)

Have after testing on one machine am now installing on half a dozen or so used by collegues, having done a second one to solve a nasty 'pop up' problem.

You definately need to move to firewall protecvtion ASAP.

roach
27th Jan 2004, 22:25
Zone Alarm free has done me well for a number of years. I am going to upgrade to pro soon.
Enjoy broadband, I hope Pipex works well for you. I have been with them for 9 months and had the odd problem but in the main am satisfied.

goates
27th Jan 2004, 22:54
I might think about investing if people advise me that the XP one is a bit pants and that a purchased one might be more manageable and more secure.

You wanted a reason to invest (at least the time to download the free ZoneAlarm) so here we go. The firewall in WindowsXP is only good for stopping stuff from getting in to your computer. The other firewalls mentioned so far can also stop stuff from getting out. Many of the recent viruses and trojans would get onto your computer and either start searching the network for more computers to infect or contact a specific computer so someone could take control of your computer. If everyone had a good firewall most of the viruses that came out in the past couple years would not have gotten very far. Even Microsoft has recognised this and the next version of their firewall will be able to control outbound traffic as well.

goates

ILS32
27th Jan 2004, 23:06
Could someone please confirm for me the following questions.

If you run the free Zone Alarm in conjunction with the inbuilt XP
firewall will it cause any problems?

Is it better to disable the XP inbuilt firewall and install one of the many Firewall Software Packages?

goates
27th Jan 2004, 23:11
It might cause problems as they are both trying to control the data coming into your computer. If you have ZoneAlarm you don't need Windows' built in firewall.

goates

ILS32
27th Jan 2004, 23:14
Thanks Goates for that information.

ILS32

goates
27th Jan 2004, 23:25
No worries ILS32! Glad I can help. :D

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Jan 2004, 00:13
DeepC,

If you have more than one computer or are thinking of adding another computer, it would be worth it to invest in a Cable/DSL Router. It also acts as a Hardware Firewall.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The best part of Broadband is you can wire up multiple computers to all share the internet at the same time. (With Broadband speed.) ;)

DeepC
28th Jan 2004, 01:11
Thanks very much for the replies. I think I will opt for Zone Alarm. Will this interfere with Norton Antivirus in any way? Some very bad reviews of Norton Internet Security out there on the web. Only good for installs on new build/rebuild machines.

I think I will eventually upgrade to a hardware firewall/router as I can see myself buying a new PC for my other half fairly soon.

Once more PPRuNers come up trumps.

Thanks

DeepC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Jan 2004, 01:19
DeepC,

If you have any other questions or need help with new hardware, we will be here. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

goates
28th Jan 2004, 01:24
I've had ZoneAlarm and Norton Anti-Virus running side-by-side without any troubles at all. The only place they may conflict is when checking emails for malicious attachments, but all you have to do is turn one of them off (I turned off ZoneAlarm's email checking).

Unless you get a hardware router that checks both inbound and outbound connections, you will still need a software firewall on every computer. Most consumer hardware routers/firewalls only protect you from people on the net trying to get into your computer but will not stop a Trojan running on your computer from getting out. These routers are designed with the assumption that anything coming from your network side to the internet is legitimate and safe, which unfortunately, is not always true.

goates

DeepC
29th Jan 2004, 20:59
Has anyone used the Black Ice firewall software? Seems to retail for approx £36 here.

Any opinions?

DeepC

goates
29th Jan 2004, 22:09
According to this site (http://www.grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm), Black Ice doesn't fully protect you and you would be better off with one of the firewalls listed a the top of the page.

goates

IFTB
29th Jan 2004, 22:21
Deep C,

I use Windows XP.
After some advise on this forum I have Zone Alarm (free version) running along with SPyBot (free version) and the (still) free trial version of Norton Anti Virus.

No problems encountered sofar. I update all above mentioned regularly and make the occasional visit to (micro trend's ?)'House Call', just for fun.
All is going fine while using (low speed) BroadBand (ADSL)

But I could not tell you if the XP firewall is actually activated.
Goates/Richard: how do you check the status of the XP firewall? I can not find a menu for that in XP.

IFTB

goates
29th Jan 2004, 22:37
IFTB - I'm not in front of an XP machine right now so I can't confirm, but I think it's under either the internet options or the network control panels. Look for a security tab in one of the above. You could also search Windows XP's help for "Internet Connection Firewall."

On my computer the default was off for a clean installation of WindowsXP Professional. I think this will change with the new XP Service Pack coming out this summer when Microsoft will default it to be on. This should help slow viruses and save users from themselves.

goates

PS - Go here (http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windowsxp/firewall.asp) and it should explain how to get to the built in firewall.

IFTB
29th Jan 2004, 23:28
Thanks Goates,

I did not recognise "Network and Internet Connections" as being the raod in. The "Network" mention threw me.

Shows you how confusing even Mr XP's routemap is to the PC uneducated! :(

PPRuNe Towers
30th Jan 2004, 04:16
Quick note to any Mac users reading: Your firewall will most likely be defaulted at off with a new machine or OS reload.

Damn, that's added to the set up time now! Thanks for jolting the memory bank though goates.

Regards
Rob