PDA

View Full Version : Ooops!

Heliport
27th Jan 2004, 09:32
Ananova News Dad takes son to school in helicopter

The commanding officer of a navy ship dropped his son off at school in a helicopter and blew out a large window in the process.

When Mark Durkin landed the Lynx helicopter at St John's College in Southsea, the down draught blew out the 12-pane window and its frame in the RE and maths classroom.

The unusual school run from the commander of HMS Exeter was a belated birthday treat for Mr Durkin's son, Edward.

The school yard had been cleared of all pupils and staff as the helicopter descended. Headteacher Nigel Thorne said nobody was in the classroom when the glass broke, reports The News.

Edward's school friends had visited HMS Exeter when it docked in Portsmouth and Cdr Durkin had promised to show the helicopter to pupils as it wasn't on board at the time.

The Sun says the cost of replacing the window will be around £5,000.
Probably around £50 then.

wish2bflying
27th Jan 2004, 18:46
Hehehe, my dad dropped me back at school via helicopter once, landed on the school oval though, about 200m from any buildings, and my friend from the UK said "Cor, mate, and I thought it was flash back home when rich kids got a taxi to school!"

Of course, that was almost fifteen years ago, in PNG, where you don't have to mess with silly (ahem, I mean very important safety-oriented) regulations all the time!

--
Michael.

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2004, 21:59
I was riding in the left hand seat of a Bell HTL-1 on our way from Miami Coast Guard Air Station to Floyd Bennett Air Station in Brooklyn, New York. The engine started running rough and the pilot elected to land in what appeared to be an empty schoolyard in Salisbury, Maryland. The children were returning to the school from a recess and when we landed they all came out running towards the helicopter. The HTL was on wheels and as such the blades came lower to the ground. I jumped out to keep the kids away from the helicopter until the blades stopped rotating.

The problem turned out to be fouled plugs. I pulled the plugs and took them to a gas station across the street where I cleaned them. I installed the plugs and we checked out the power and flew off to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware where in landing the pilot severed the telephone line between the tower and the main hangar.

:E :E

29th Jan 2004, 03:10
Unusual for the Captain (if that is what they mean by the Commanding Officer) to a. be a pilot or b. to be in current flying practise - which means that he probably ordered the pilot (who should have known better) to do the deed!
Inappropriate use of Service resources I think is the way the Court Martial will go:)

Chaos Controller
29th Jan 2004, 04:55
But also there are "friendly" landings at schoolyards; a Sea King from the Clockwork deployment at Bardufoss just recently landed outside a school in Tromsø (northern part of Norway for those not knowing those places), as a part of an English lesson at the school.

http://www1.airpics.com/avimg/big/51701.jpg

Jcooper
29th Jan 2004, 12:53
Exactly what was the english lesson?

Mark Six
29th Jan 2004, 13:43
My embarked helicopter flight did the odd school visit for PR purposes. One time we were tasked to land at a small school on the Queensland coast. With the Observer navigating we found the school without too much trouble and duly landed on the oval. We were soon surrounded by school kids, teachers, dogs, etc. Gave a very impressive talk about the helicopters capabilities, explained how the pitot tube wasn't actually a gun, took photos with kids wearing helmets, chatted up the female staff,etc etc. After half an hour one of the teachers asked "why are you here anyway?" Oops-wrong school.

MD900 Explorer
29th Jan 2004, 19:14
Chaos Controller

Bra Callsign, men visste ikke att dere snakket Engelsk der oppe. Dere har jo problemer nok med Norsken deres (Skål) ..:E

Heliport

Great dit, nice to see taxpayers money being directed to Armed Forces awareness..:ok:

Anyone know a good glazier? :E

MD