PDA

View Full Version : Sunstate Psych and Skills

The Counter
27th Jan 2004, 07:08
Can anyone confirm that Sunstate is now using the Qantas Psych and Skills test for all new recruits and have access to all past attempts.

I hear the reason is so they can assign you a seniority number and after a few years you can transfer to Qantas main stream as an S.O on 744 ect.

Does this mean they will recruit from Easterns / Sunstate only instead of off the street as well?

Hugh Jarse
27th Jan 2004, 07:35
Can anyone confirm that Sunstate is now using the Qantas Psych and Skills test for all new recruits and have access to all past attempts. I suspect that will be happening in order to standardise recruiting. Eastern has been doing this for a couple of years now.
I hear the reason is so they can assign you a seniority number and after a few years you can transfer to Qantas main stream as an S.O on 744 ect. I had a quiet chuckle yesterday when I heard a couple of guys discussing this very topic over at the Evil Empire. At the moment, working for a QF subsidiary actually reduces your chances of being hired by mainline. Presently there is no career progression and I would suggest it's unlikely to happen in the near future. My understanding is that the change is to standardise recruiting practices across the company. I'll put money on Jetstar new applicants also having to complete a similar process in the future. :E
Does this mean they will recruit from Easterns / Sunstate only instead of off the street as well? I doubt this is likely, unless the whole system establishes a process where you get hired by QF and are sent to whichever branch of the business they think you are suited to based on experience, P&S etc. Then you progress through the system somehow. I believe this is how Ansett worked (please correct me if I'm wrong) with it's new pilots.

Capt Claret
27th Jan 2004, 08:12
Counter

I can only agree with Jarse. Whilst not really in the QF camp, and not trying to get in, I did work in a past life for Sykywest Aviation, when that organisation was owned by ATI (Ansett Transport Industries) and News Corp.

There was almost always talk about getting in at the bottom (Skywest) and then progressing into Ansett mainline.

Reality shows that whilst a few did manage it, most didn't. I've long been of the opinion if that you want to get into Qantas, or back then Ansett, Don't take a job with a subsidiary company, as the multiple training costs will always work against the subsidiary staff being promoted.

bonvol
27th Jan 2004, 11:44
Its amazing.

QF are doing a lot of navel gazing at the moment and have come up with some brilliant changes...getting rid of Senior Check Capt titles is but one, vertical promotion another.

Top stuff and sure to make a big difference to standards :yuk:

Telling the beanies to nick off and placing all new hires in subsidiaries and giving them a career path is the best way to get a broad range of experience into the hallowed 744 cockpit.

This was the way it was done pre that dreaded year and produced good solid operators. A few losers will always sneak through but by and large its the best way IMO. Turnover in Eastern etc would end overnight and thats got to save some dough in itself.

Just a dream...I've woken up now. Off to study the FAM and commit to memory wot checkies are called now. Sure to be in the next sim session!

Gods Kitchen
28th Jan 2004, 05:42
Guys and Girls,

quote:
working for a QF subsidiary actually reduces your chances of being hired by mainline.

I know of a few people at Eastern and Sunstate that are on the Qantas hold file.

They have completed all the stages and one has just been called for a mouth x-ray and security check.

Doesn't this show that you can progress from the regionals to mainline.

wessex19
28th Jan 2004, 07:00
Gods Kitchen,
no-one here is saying you can't progress from baby red rats to the big red rat. However, generally speaking it is not as common a practice as it should be!!! If there was a greater chance of a slot as a second officer, less easterns/ sunnies guys/girls would of forked out for their 737 NG endorsements for DJ.

Poto
28th Jan 2004, 18:02
I think you will find the movement from little rat to big rat is about the same percentage as GA/Military applicants to successful slots in QF mainline. I don't think flying for a subsid is a disadvantage. I do believe in a perfect world it should be an advantage (but this is simply my opinion) . Seniority numbers and future progression for the regional boys and girls may happen but it won't be next week:{

BongoDriver
28th Jan 2004, 18:09
Had an interview with Sunstate a few weeks ago and I can confirm that Qantas Stage 1 is a must for entry.

(I did QF testing a few years ago)

I wouldnt worry too much. I know a bloke that just got a start date with Sunnies and he didnt progress further than QS1 a year back.

I think it's just a tick in the box for Sunstate.

Now if anyone can tell me Sunstate's course start dates beyond Feb 11 then that would be great.

Next Generation
28th Jan 2004, 18:36
The best way to get into Sunstate is join Coastwatch, get your Dash-8 endorsement, and then you will definitely get a start.

As there is no chance of progression to the Big Q, Sunnies are paranoid about losing guys to VB

They don't want to provide endorsements to blokes that they know they will lose to VB, so they poach them from Coastwatch.

Instead of Q providing a career path for their own subsidiaries, they let these well-trained and skilled guys go to VB.

Smart thinking boys.

Keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse
29th Jan 2004, 03:29
I think you will find the movement from little rat to big rat is about the same percentage as GA/Military applicants to successful slots in QF mainline I have to disagree. In the 9 years I've been watching recruitment, approximately 20 from Eastern have been successful at getting a slot. So, if we say roughly equal numbers percentage-wise from Southern and Sunstate were successful, that makes it about 40 (optimistically).
How many pilots has QF hired in the last 9 years?
Many more subsidiary pilots have been hired by Virgin Blue since it's inception than QF have in the last 9 years.

TopperHarley
29th Jan 2004, 05:11
How do the coastwatch guys transition to RPT flying ??

Ive never heard them above 5000ft........ Do they freak out at flight levels ??

One guy up here was telling me hes lucky to do 2 landings a week. What are their skills like !?

Hugh Jarse
29th Jan 2004, 05:41
Tropper, the ones that have joined Eastern have been very good:ok: Apart from the odd nose bleed above 5000' :}

Poto
29th Jan 2004, 10:59
Okay H.J. The numbers in that light are rather depressing for the regional rats but I think a whole lot of factors are seldom considered. The number taken from the little rats should be compared to the Total of THEIR pilot body (definately not Qf's recruitment numbers over the last nine years) minus all who have not passed the Qf process previously (whether they went through the process while at a little rat or previous). I really think that Qf couldn't give a rats whether you work for a regional owned by them or not. I think the selection process is individually executed.
To qualify my statement I must also point out I do not work for anything with a red tail just an unbiased observer with my ears to the ground. :}

hoss
29th Jan 2004, 16:15
Hugh Jarse and Capt. Claret are right on here guys, I only know of 1 (yes one) guy going to mainline from regional in the last 2 and a bit years.

And if the story is correct, QF thought he was coming from Hazelton and didn't realise he was with Eastern :hmm: .

WaldoPepper
3rd Feb 2004, 13:38
Gods kitchen,

it doesn't matter what stage in the qantas testing you get up to, if you don't get a start date, you may not get the job.

3 yrs ago I completed all stages of the interview at QF, including medical and security check, only to be told a few weeks later that they changed their mind and took me off the hold file, with no explaination !

Since joining EAA i've never heard anything from them again.

I'm sure there are lot's more with the experience.

rtforu
3rd Feb 2004, 13:49
All this Psyc testing crap is getting out of control. Given the amount of money these operators are paying, its a joke. Maybe the cleaners should be tested as well.