PDA

View Full Version : ALPA (AOA) does it again

flyingkiwi
27th Jan 2004, 00:51
I have held my tongue on union issues for a while now but i have just been reading the proposed housing contract when it dawned on me.

Remember 6 months ago when there was still a recruitment ban how the union was saying dont join now postpone etc.. Any guys that did follow that directeve will now be in for a suprise. The AOA commitee are now recommending the union pass a contract that will see new joiners seriously worse off in the housing allowance than current employees....

My frustration at that attitude goes beyond words...

Truth Seekers Int'nl
27th Jan 2004, 05:42
desperate times call for desperate measures. the HKAOA are just hanging on by the thinnest of threads hpefully we will soon be able to negotiate with this fine Company without union antagonism and vitriol.

Danish
27th Jan 2004, 18:56
Hello flyingkiwi.....

Could you fill us (the comming new-joiners) in, on the details on how much (the amount), this new housing would be for new-joiners if it is passed?

Thanks

aussietruckdriver
27th Jan 2004, 19:58
Gentleman,

New deal 35,000HKD pegged to actual rents in Govt index
Legally binding deal for 4 yrs, stability
If you buy can lock in at 38,000 for the next 15yrs or gamble on rents rising (sure bet in my mind) F/Os and Capt . The basic deal
for a s/o or LEP has not changed.
New joiners after march have a restriction that if they buy then you cannot go back and enjoy the rental rate for captains (55,000) but the rent free zone (35000).
As it will take at least 10yrs for a new joiner to become a capt
and in nego with company why would the union be so insistent on something that HAS NO consequence at all for at least 10YRS!!
For interest dragon air have a ownership deal 44,000 pm but once finished you go back to the basic 24,000pm?
Anyway the big point is if you are looking at being in Hong Kong for longer than 5 years this is a great deal, if your view is short term than it is not that good. However as a union they must try and get the best deal that is available and I think they have done that.
However it is now up to the membership to decide and vote on this, simple yes or no. As they say the ball is now in the members court?

There is also a big difference between management and union comm members. One is doing it for extra money the other is only interested in getting the best conditions, contract stability they can. You also might try and think NO ONE gets paid in the HKAOA except the office staff, it is all volunteers giving their own time and sweat.

Schrodingers Cat
30th Jan 2004, 15:14
Its not as if this split between new joiners and the squirearchy is a new thing...remember when it was 11900 for new joiners and 19200 for old guys? As long as you realise that the HKAOA has always been, and will always be, run for the benefit of those in the upper stratosphere of the seniority list then things are not too bad....don't worry, you'll all get there in the end!:}

flyingkiwi
30th Jan 2004, 19:11
SC your absolutly right. It happens time and time again.

My point is just how in one breath they asked the guys to give up there careers for the cause, then they leave the same guys out in the cold.

Glad i said yes, I almost didnt!

aussietruckdriver
30th Jan 2004, 20:41
flyingkiwi
(I have held my tongue on union issues for a while now but i have just been reading the proposed housing contract when it dawned on me.

Remember 6 months ago when there was still a recruitment ban how the union was saying dont join now postpone etc.. Any guys that did follow that directeve will now be in for a suprise. The AOA commitee are now recommending the union pass a contract that will see new joiners seriously worse off in the housing allowance than current employees....

My frustration at that attitude goes beyond words...)

Not sure where you are coming from, since your last post shows you HAVE nothing to do with the union and NEVER will.

There is nothing that degrades a new officers entilement for over 10 years you have to be a CAPTAIN to then get the higher amount?

It also gives FULL legal protection as the words now are VERY specific in relation to the COS, ie Market conditions, this is what the new scheme does as it ties the money paid to the government rental index , This cannot be manipulated like it has been in the past.

You are obviously not happy and I do not blame you. So it is a shame you have NO say in your future career , just grin and bear it as you made a decision live with it and grow up.

Plastique
30th Jan 2004, 20:51
I'll still be $3,500 a month worse off, union sell-out or not.