PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 examination cost

spackrackman
27th Jan 2004, 00:18
Is this how much i HAVE to pay for a class one medical, blimey!

Is everyones advice to do this before doing anything else on the road to becoming a Commercial pilot?

The initial medical examination must be done at the UK CAA Aeromedical Centre (AMC) at Gatwick (see address below). The whole examination takes half a day, currently costs £411 and is payable in advance.

Cheers Jonnie

corsair
27th Jan 2004, 02:41
Yes, get used to it. Remember as a pilot you are officially loaded and can bear any fee for any test medical or otherwise. We have to maintain the bureacracy that has grown up around this business. Have you seen all the complicated stuff they have there in the medical centre not to mention the salaries of all those working there? You are helping to keep it all going.

It was probably a fair price too considering all the people they have working there but I remember an FAA class 1 costing me about 20 quid mainly because it was carried out by a Doctor who was a pilot himself and because the FAA have a sensible view of flying. Chalk another one up for the Yanks.
Oddly enough he was loaded, he owned a twin Cessna, but he didn't make it from flying or testing pilots. Medicine is a lucrative trade.

twistedenginestarter
28th Jan 2004, 03:11
My last one the doctor said the list price was something like £150 including the ECG and Hearing. He was a flying enthusiast and let me off for £80. Location North-East UK.

hm671
2nd Feb 2004, 22:34
Sorry to hijack the thread but is it possible to take a class 2 medical and then "upgrade" it to a class 1 6months later or so? What would the Class 1 cost if I already had the class 2?

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Feb 2004, 23:08
HM,

The answer is no.

1st class ones have to be done at Gatwick

FD

witchdoctor
6th Feb 2004, 17:09
The worst thing is they don't even have any machines that go 'bing' or 'beep'! What a waste of money.:}