PDA

View Full Version : Category A Helicopter's

USRotor
26th Jan 2004, 21:45
Hi

Anyone know's where i can find a list of the certified helis, for the different category??

Or, at least, if you could, reply with the ones, thar you know that
they are, and in witch conditions (weight,configuration... etc.)

What are the one's REALLY category A , class 1.

thanks

best regards

Bomber ARIS
2nd Feb 2004, 04:29
Howdy,

Are you searching for multis that satisfy Class I performance criteria at maximum gross mass?......Or just at any mass at all?.......Clear area?......or Helipad?.....What is your mission profile?.........How warm might it be?.....or would sir prefer Class A certification?.........

............just curious

USRotor
2nd Feb 2004, 21:17
Hi

yes, at a reduced weight, is possible to perform, but in most cases the fuel/payload relation will be downgraded

imagine a profile like this

5/6 POB, +2hrs fuel, IFR, helipads/confined areas, 8000ft DA

* what are the ones, that do it at MGW
and

* the ones that with this profile, and with "that" reduced weight can perform class 1

and tell me if you dn't think that well be needed to use "ovesized" helos, to comply with everything...

regaards

Shawn Coyle
2nd Feb 2004, 21:58
8,000' DA??
Have to do better than that, I'm afraid.
Is that 8,000' Pressure Altitude, ISA (which would be -1C), or something else?
12,000' PA, -40C, or 4,000' +40C - makes a huge difference to the engines, you know.
With turbine engines you can't just talk about a density altitude, especially for something like Category A where you are going to be engine limited.

USRotor
2nd Feb 2004, 23:33
sorry, my fault :rolleyes:

let's use, your number

4000ft +40 ºC

Shawn Coyle
3rd Feb 2004, 22:11
US rotor
sorry to leap on you like that. Bit of a pet peeve of mine - most helicopter pilots don't know that power required is a density altitude thing, and power available is a pressure altitude and OAT thing - and there is a difference as you can see above.
I don't know of too many Category A machines that will have much worthwhile performance at +40C, regardless of the pressure altitude - good luck.

USRotor
3rd Feb 2004, 22:58
Shawn : no problem :)

yes, this was only an "academic" type of question,

but we can change to a little more "real" profile

3000ft and 30ºc seems ok ?

i only want to find out, in a typicall EMS/utility, profile mission what sould be the minium "sized" helo needed. for a class 1, Jar ops requirements..

Bomber ARIS
3rd Feb 2004, 23:04
EC135 at 4000' PA, +40*C, plus 2 hours fuel leaves approx 120 kg payload.
i.e. enough for one pilot plus a 3 year old passenger!

Buena suerte!!!

John Bicker
4th Feb 2004, 04:17
LBA approved 9.1-1 FM supplement (not FAA)

Cat A clear area PA 3000' OAT +32C 2835 kg (Gross weight)

Cat A Vertical 2580kg in the same conditions and NO H/V area! Depending on the EEW that gives me a useful of 780 kgs at the "reasonable temps". Aircraft is air conditioned and "lite" SPIFR as well.

Shawn Coyle
5th Feb 2004, 05:38
Re EC-135 Cat A performance...
Ah, the benefit of the 30" and 2' OEI ratingst that Digital Fuel controls have given us...