PDA

View Full Version : MYT lite changing flights MAN to BHX?

fimbles
26th Jan 2004, 20:58
Recieved an e-mail from MYT lite to say the tickets for my wife and kids to ALC this easter have been changed from MAN to BHX. Please call us if this is inconvenient!! Well yes it is other wise i'd have booked from BHX, but WHY the change of plan and what can i expect when i eventually get through on the phone? do i have any come back if i cannot travel from BHX and will they pay for alternative travel from MAN?

NACUD
26th Jan 2004, 22:17
Can’t quite work this one out, as according to the MyTravelLite web site the airline does not fly from MAN to ALC.

johnwalton
26th Jan 2004, 22:34
They do fly to Murcia though, which is Ryanair's version of Alicante. Maybe thats it?

RealFish
26th Jan 2004, 23:44
...but think of the positives ! BHX is a much nicer airport.

fimbles
27th Jan 2004, 18:45
Sorry for the confusion but it was Murcia. Anyhow got through and it's money back or travel from BHX, no explanation, no apology and no compensation for the additional costs now incurred to book another flight! Next time i'll pay a bit extra and travel with a proper outfit!

Big Tudor
27th Jan 2004, 22:40
Not sure what your gripe is fimbles. MYL have cancelled MJV-MAN and offered you 2 alternatives, money back or MJV-BHX. This is standard procedure for any airline, 'proper' or not. They obviously decided that the MJV-MAN operation was not worthwhile and have pulled it. It's called making a commercial decision or would you rather they had continued to operate just to carry your wife & kids?! :mad: I've had flights with flag carriers cancelled and been offered exactly the same options as you have. Yes it's **** when it happens but don't slag off one airline when it happens with them all!

BRUpax
27th Jan 2004, 23:16
You may be right up to a point Big Tudor. Generally, a "proper" airline will offer you an alternative from the same airport of departure - perhaps even with the competition!!! Recently, when the BRU-AMS sector of my BRU-AMS-EWR trip with KLM was cancelled I was put on the direct BRU-EWR operated by Continental. They didn't offer me a departure from another airport altogether.

spud
28th Jan 2004, 00:33
As well as selling you a ticket from A to B and not subsequently telling you that 'For your comfort and convenience you will now be departing from C', proper airlines generally don't have silly names.

Localiser Green
28th Jan 2004, 01:49
So how come (Summer 2002) when we were flying MYT (Charter, not Lite) from MAN-ACE-MAN and they decided a few weeks before we would actually be flying MME-ACE-MME, the company provided coach transfers between MAN and MME at both ends for us?

If they weren't obliged to do that, why did they not just let us find our own way to sunny Teesside?

fimbles
28th Jan 2004, 01:52
My main gripe now being that due to the yield mgmt policies of the lo-cos it's now going to cost me 4 times the original price as we are 6 weeks closer to the departure date....and all of that without any apology or explanation.

jmc757
28th Jan 2004, 03:33
Localiser, when you flew with MyTravel charter, your contract is with the tour operator not the airline. Different contract, different regulations.

U/S President
28th Jan 2004, 06:37
Mr Fimbles: If it’s now going to cost you “4 times the original price” to re-book with a different carrier to depart MAN, then why not just stick with MyTravelLite’s alternative offer and go from BHX (I assume they’re offering to just transfer you onto the BHX flight and not charge the difference between what you paid and what the BHX flight is now selling at). With the money ‘saved’ from not spending 4 times the original price, you should be able to cover to cost of petrol from MAN to BHX (and BHX parking is way cheaper).

Not to diminish you’re predicament, but cancelling an Easter flight in January, offering a fairly suitable alternative and giving refunds for those who don’t like the alternative is hardly the worst treatment ever dished out by a low-cost airline - compared to some cases where Ryanair and easyJet have cancelled flights a few hours before departure and left people downroute anyway.