PDA

View Full Version : Teeside NO / Gatwick YES

5711N0205W
26th Jan 2004, 19:52
In the last 7 days it has been my fortune to pass through both Teeside and Gatwick Airports twice. While there is no real comparison in terms of size/destinations/traffic between the two both have their strong supporters and critics on these forums so here is my impression as SLF.

I arrived and departed from both of these airports and had an overnight stay in the area, I had a meal before departure at each airport.

Teeside, appalling overpriced food (1970's motorway service area standard) surly staff (check in and security), late check in (STD -50) and tatty facilities.

Gatwick (North Terminal), reasonable food, pleasant staff (check in and security), smooth transit, nice facilities.

I'm not a fan of BAA airports (ABZ is home and if you know that you know why) but Gatwick seems to have it just about right at the moment.

bealine
26th Jan 2004, 21:12
I quite agree about the appalling catering at Tees-side! (Middleton St George airfield). The wife's from Darlington and (as a young lass) worked on the information desk at MME so we have a keen interest in that airport.

However, we've always found the check-in staff friendly (too friendly, 'cos the bloody queue doesn't move!!!) but we've only used Dan-Air (when they were alive) and British Midland (sorry bmi!!!)

May I ask who did you flew with and were they self-handling or handled by Servisair?

5711N0205W
26th Jan 2004, 21:31
Sorry 'Tees-side', handling was Servisair, person on check-in desk was pleasant enough but we had arrived at the airport at STD -90 and enquired from the counter as to time check-in would open, short tempered replay was STD -60, different person opened check-in at STD -50.

Security staff in particular were brusque but there has been more than enough said about the problems of employing airport security staff on these forums. However BAA Security at LGW were pleasant and chatty.

reverserunlocked
30th Jan 2004, 21:41
I hardly think you can compare Teesside and Gatwick. That's like comparing Heathrow with Liverpool. I quite agree that MME's in need of an upgrade, but at least compare it with an airport of a similar size!

5711N0205W
2nd Feb 2004, 19:46
Why?

Are you saying the size of an Airport should dictate the standard of food service and attitude of the staff? Sure MME does not have the same level of investment as LGW but that is no excuse for surly behaviour.

witchdoctor
4th Feb 2004, 17:00
Perhaps now that Peel Holdings has a finger in the pie at Teesside so to speak, things might improve. Local authorities aren't exactly the best people in the world to be running a commercial enterprise, and the poor b#ggers at Teesside had 5 of them in on the act! :eek:

Have to agree that there is still no excuse for poor service, regardless of the physical facilities. Shame the MD can't get the place up to the standard of his pad in Yarm.

As far as security is concerned, I've had dealings with the head of security there, and he doesn't exactly bust a gut to get things done. Pity that seems to have rubbed off on the rest of his team.