PDA

View Full Version : Dakar ground prang

Airforce1
25th Jan 2004, 20:12
So this morning in Dakar SAA had a little problem with their nose cone I believe-It had a Air Italia wing shoved into it after the ground marsheller made a bit of a mess up.Another expensive lesson, hmmmmm.
But that ramp is so tight,always been a problem-I dont think you can blame the aircrew as they are just following the table tennis man's instructions,so who foots the bill on this one....?

Cardinal Puff
26th Jan 2004, 03:18
Errrmmmmm.....

The South African taxpayer?:(

Taikonaut
26th Jan 2004, 10:54
AF1, I agree. A very tight fit indeed. Bad on the tires and struts and really asking for an incident like above to happen. The right 180 turn (trying to see over the FO's shoulder) into the stand has always been a challenge especially when stuffing a widebody between two widebodies.

When parking opposite from the terminal, you always wonder when you are going to suck in the empty oil cans into your number one engine, which hangs over the well littered ditch.

You have to put so much faith into the marshaller. And they are marginal at best.

With so much French tourist going in and out of there, I'm surprise that the French government hasn't kicked in any funding to help improve the tarmac. While we are at it, an approach radar would help too. Had a near miss about a year ago about 60 nm north of the airport. We were decending out of 8 and he's was out of 6. Nice. A French 747 climbing out did all his position reporting in French. Gotta love that TCAS.:ouch:

Deanw
26th Jan 2004, 16:14
Herewith some info from a contact:

'ZS-SAX was damaged this morning by an Alitalia B767. SA203 was busy offloading and onloading en route to JFK when the Alitalia B767 taxied into her. Damaging the Nose section, Nose cone and Radar.'

Ouch! :uhoh: