View Full Version : Temporary

VeeAny
23rd Jun 2000, 13:48
I tried the buy a machine (R22) and build hours on it while leasing it to several training schools route.

It can work but it only takes one big unexpected maintenance bill and it can all go horribly wrong.

I was quite lucky but still spent nearly £20000 in maintenance last year (albeit for about 700 hours flying).

If you want a more detailed (realistic picture) mail me and I'll dig out the spreadsheet I used to work out running costs.

It may sound stupid, but the trick is to buy the machine as cheap as possible and have it looked after buy a good maintenance organisation. If you do lease your machine to a school do some checking and make sure that you at least have a fighting chance of getting paid.

As for the instructor rating at the moment there seem to be a surplus of AFI(H) around
as everyone jumped on the bandwagon pre JAR (The more experienced guys out there will certainly know more about the job situation than I do). I did the CAA AFIC and, although i've not tried to find any work yet (due to other commitments) I do know that most of the people I trained with have at best only secured part time work.

Hope this helps

------------------