PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter pilots and motorcycles

Pages : [1] 2

SkyFocal
25th Jan 2004, 08:26
Just curious... Since a lot helicopter pilots seem to have a thing for motorcycles: What kind of bike(s) do you ride; have you ever sold a bike to pay for training; any helicopter pilots out there who do not like motorcycles? Other comments?

Me: 2001 HD Sportster - sold to help pay for training. I really do miss it. Next bike will be a V-Rod.

-Jeff

Jcooper
25th Jan 2004, 08:36
I hate motorcycles for the pure fact when you get a student that had a motorcycle they seem to have a tendency to roll the throttle the wrong way. Other than that I wish I had one but no money :( Glad to see you have a cruiser rather than a crotch rocket too.

dzeroplus
25th Jan 2004, 08:53
Had a Ducati 916 Senna, was going to be my investment bike!!!

Sold it to pay for my instructor rating.

After 5 years of fulltime employment, I now have a new 2004 R1 on order and a jetski.

Large sacrifice at the time, bit wouldn't change anything now.

Flying Lawyer
25th Jan 2004, 16:03
Honda VFR750

Dantruck
25th Jan 2004, 16:39
Honda AfricaTwin XRV750

Did have a Ninja 900 too, until some scumbag ran off with it in the night!

Whirlygig
25th Jan 2004, 16:51
Triumph Bonneville 2002 limited edition in Silver and Lucifer (that's orange to you and me!)

Can't be doing with those modern sports bikes - mainly 'cos they're too high off the ground for my little leggies :)

Appreciate comment about throttle being the wrong way round BUT...

Helicopter throttle is used with a different hand...SO....if you take your right hand and try to operate heli throttle with it you will find out it IS the same way.

...well that's how MY brain works ;)

Cheers

Whirlygig

ATN
25th Jan 2004, 18:58
Hi,

I once read that commercial jets pilots tend to develop a liking for BMWs, the fighter pilots favor the japanese crotch rockets while we chopper pilots want to stay with the vibes and ride HDs or similar.

I have a 99 Sporster 1200 S.

Cheers

ATN

jayteeto
25th Jan 2004, 19:06
Harley 883 Sportster Custom, fantastic bike. The throttle thing is true... When I first converted to Squirrel there was a hot start that I made hotter!! Was convinced that was the way to close a throttle!! Doesn't help when you are joining CFS at the time... As the boss... Doh!

Squeek
25th Jan 2004, 19:58
Road raced for 10 years around Oz and even had a race at Donnington. Finally frustrated with the journey and the repair work I sold the lot to help fund the licence. Looking back, I believe there would have been fewer repairs, had I flown helicopters first. Flying and riding are unique, but have those “Sister skills” that enhance each other.
It’s just natural that pilots ride.

Current bike: FZR1000D (1992)………...for sale, excellent cond. (au)$6500 ono.

Steve76
25th Jan 2004, 19:59
1989 ZX10 + a 1976 Z900.
Both Kawasaki's.
No problem with throttle as it is in the other hand.

Sorry guys....but harleys are more suited for nautical purposes. They make great boat anchors (quote "Squeek" unquote).

Who out there has ridden "the Dragon"?

Squeek !!!

Gidday stranger :)

Power Up
25th Jan 2004, 22:02
2001 Suzuki SV650, unfaired in blue, trying to sell it now to repay the loan taken out for the training I am about to start. Still in warranty, taxed bargain at £2400 ono!!

Squeek
25th Jan 2004, 22:10
Steve76

You've sunk me with that, Captain.
Happy Australia Day mate - email me.

B Sousa
25th Jan 2004, 22:34
As time marches on I think of the ones I had and wish I still had.

Triumph T120 Bonneville, T120TT; Honda CB750, XL650; Harley and my favorite which is probably worth a ton now. Matchless G50.
If I hit the Lotto it will be a New Ducati or BMW.

Tiger_mate
26th Jan 2004, 00:08
Had it a couple of years now, v low miles due to working away from home, but now I`m back and the summer is just around the corner :ok: I even wave to Harley riders JT, and a combination of age and over enthusiastic defenders of the law means that I may even slow to Harley speeds this year.

Ref: Throttle

Rode an ex despatch riders bike a few years back and the LH had the `throttle` and the RH had an `Advance/retard`; idea was that the rider was almost certainly right handed therefore needed RH for pistol whilst powering up with left hand. Dont know how fast I went for there was no speedo but what was probably only 35/40 felt like 120!!

EddieHeli
26th Jan 2004, 01:48
Honda Goldwing GL 1500 SE,

sold last year to fund trip to USA, saving up for a GL 1800 or Harley. Undecided yet which.

Prefer the Goldwing Look but hurts the knees after a while and too wide and uncomfortable for outriggers for my short legs.

Harley has better legs forward riding position, but tank seems wider to me at the point where the knees go.

Thomas coupling
26th Jan 2004, 01:51
Suzuki Intruder 800.
"T" boned a car @ 60 mph, pulling out from a junction. Multiple injuries including a severed lower leg, radial plexus nerve damage to the right arm where the nerve endings 'popped' out of their sockets, severed the urethra, broken toe! cracked pelvis, broken finger. And B**ocks like marrows after taking the gas tank off with my tackle:ok:
And to rub it all in...the CAA took my licence off me:oh:
Took me 12 months to fly again....now worth more in scrap metal than ever before:D
Bikes / marriage, bikes / marriage, bikes / marriage.............Damn - wife still here ;)

Letsby Avenue
26th Jan 2004, 02:20
Yamaha Dragstar:cool: err.. Severed urethra.......! Yow...!

MOSTAFA
26th Jan 2004, 03:01
Fireblade, an I am still intact. Wish I could say the same for the driving licence, it has had 3 points on it since points started, f*c**g cameras, *u*ing police.

Hughes500
26th Jan 2004, 03:53
KTM 250 enduro bike, nothing like having 13inches

Of suspension travel that is !!!!!!!!!

sss
26th Jan 2004, 04:13
at the moment an xl1000 varadero

Flingwing207
26th Jan 2004, 04:20
Honda CR250R

those were the days - then I quit racing and bought a Suzuki GS550, but after almost getting killed one too many times by the "I didn't see him" crowd, I quit the motorcycle game and now stick to my Gary Fisher Joshua Zer0 and the narrow twisties in the woods.
:8

Lightning_Boy
26th Jan 2004, 04:36
ZX-9R Ninja (C2 model)

Lowlevldevl
26th Jan 2004, 05:39
Have had a '83 VF 750 since first turbine job in PNG. Haven't ridden it much for the last few years so its sitting in the shed gathering dust. Came home from 2 weeks fire fighting a couple of months ago on a Saturday. Asked wife what she wanted to do on the Sunday. Got told "Don't know about you , but I'm going to golf."
Now I have an immaculate '99 R1

Arkroyal
26th Jan 2004, 07:04
CBR600

And a mangled ZX6R in the garage as a future track day project. Track day that put it there too:ouch:

Lu Zuckerman
26th Jan 2004, 10:17
While in service I took a trip from Elizabeth City, North Carolina to Norfolk, Virginia. My buddy and I were riding on an Indian that had a suicide clutch. We were a bit confused as to who was steering and as we rounded a curve we hit a patch of sand and slid onto the grassy lawn of two old spinsters. They thought we were dead. Not dead but highly embarrassed. We were wearing our white uniforms and what was not damaged by the sand was covered in grass stain. We turned around and went back to base. This time he steered.

Many years later I tried riding my sons Honda 90 and made the mistake of placing my feet in front of the foot pegs. As I started out my feet were dragged under the pegs. Lucky for me it was soft ground. That was my last attempt. My son eventually graduated to a big bore BMW that he got at the factory and he sold it in Seattle for more than he paid for it. He went on to get a Yamaha 750 which he had painted in pearl white. During that time he also had a motocross bike and a trials bike. Me, I like four wheels, and if my knees get any worse, those four wheels will be on a wheel chair.

:E :E

Jcooper
26th Jan 2004, 10:45
Lu, you got a story for everything don't you? If you have grand kids I bet you entertain the crap out of them...:)

PPRUNE FAN#1
26th Jan 2004, 12:29
I've been riding longer than I've been flying. Unlike TC and Lu, haven't had any bad crackups yet. Two in the garage awaiting general cleanup and rebirth: 1) Original 1973 Kawasaki Z-1 and 2) 1978 Z-1R (the silver/blue one). The Bronson red '86 Sporty (first year Evo!) is the daily-rider. Always wanted a Sportster but was put off by all those who considered Harleys to be "boat anchors." Never imagined how much fun the bike would be to ride. With the low c.g. and tonnes of torque, it is by far my favorite motocicleta of all time. Plus, I can go out to the garage with a cold Guinness or six and just sit and stare at the Harley for hours. The darn thing is hypnotic. Last bike I could do that to was my first bike, my Honda CL350. But I was sixteen at the time. And it was root beer.

Oh Lu? Here's a clue: the guy in front usually steers. The girl on the back just sits there, holds me tenderly and keeps quiet. Don't know quite how you got that confused. :rolleyes:

Two guys on one motorcycle = gay

belly tank
26th Jan 2004, 13:19
Ya gotta love the bikes!!

I started out on Moto X bikes when i was about 7 ish, i ended up with a Honda CR500 which i sold in 94, and i got into road bikes, had a Suzuki GSXR 750 and now have a 94 Ducati 900 ss, lovelly bike but very ducati nothing works when u want them to!!

Steve76
26th Jan 2004, 13:24
Hey PPRUNE FAN #1

Ex- Z1 drivers rock! (even if you do have a bike that only manages to produce 60hp for a 883 cc engine....:hmm: )

Your days on the old 900 will offset that for a few years to come.
Check out this link for some $hit hot mods to the ol Zee.

http://www.streetfighters.nl/kaw/kawasaki.htm

zoom zoom....
Squeek.....still waiting for that mailie champ :ok:

vorticey
26th Jan 2004, 13:28
wasnt too bad on the peewee 50 but hit a stump on a kx 80 and remember watching the post hit me in the head as i slid under the fence. had to open the gate to get back in the padock. another friends honda 80 (i think), didnt go too good plowing into a bank of dirt either, thought he wanted to race but he was saying "there's a turn up ahead"! went through that fence aswell, and didnt feel the wasps biting (as i wrecked there nest).
had a XL250R which went like the clapers after i rebuilt the engine but got a little scared on my bike L's when i run off a gravel road rounding a corner and rode every bolder in the drain! didnt come off though must be gettin better! sounds like i better get another one :ouch: maybe.

overpitched
26th Jan 2004, 13:41
Just sold a 1998 nx650 dominator and about to get the xl650v transalp... fingers crossed

Jarvy
26th Jan 2004, 18:54
86 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX and shortly to get BMW 1150 GS.

crop duster
26th Jan 2004, 19:17
I ride a Springer Softaail that I bought in 1995. When I got it there was an oil leak under one of the lifter block, so, I tore into it to fix that. While I had that down I went a little further until it was down to the bare frame. About 500 hours labor later I had a really nice custom bike. Click on link to see.

http://community.webshots.com/album/94558520QzCiFZ

It turned out pretty good, but I'm ready for a new project if anyone is interested in this one. Ride safe.
Barry

MightyGem
26th Jan 2004, 21:20
A 1959 Lambretta Li 150 Series 2. Yeah, all right, I know it's not a bike. But, it's got two wheels and I don't have to pedal it! :)

Say again s l o w l y
26th Jan 2004, 21:43
Ducati 748. Fantastic!

I wouldn't classify a Harley as a boat anchor, Modern anchors have got more technology built into them! Horrible nasty, expensive things. (Says the man who owns a really cheap to run Duke...:rolleyes: )

nonradio
26th Jan 2004, 21:58
a) '51 Sunbeam S7 b) '02 Buell X1 Lightning

Hover Bovver
26th Jan 2004, 22:48
Currently in the stable
1.Ducati 998 B.Bostrom Replica
2.Harley Davidson Fatboy
3.harley Davidson Bad Boy (Springer with no chrome!)
4.Yamaha WR400
5. Gas Gas TXT 280 Pro.
6.Yamaha FZR 400 RRSP

Have to admit that I share the fatboy and the FZR with my mother !
I never really liked bikes!

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2004, 01:45
To: PPRUNE FAN #1

Two guys on one motorcycle = gay

Me, gay? Sometimes you make me so angry if you were here right now I would hit you with my purse.

MD900 Explorer
27th Jan 2004, 02:40
GSX-R 750.

(Jcooper. just like Steve76 said, Throttle is on the other hand :ok: )

Harleys are for all types of seamen :E (anchors included)

MD

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2004, 03:06
'91 Honda CB750
'85 Beta TR34 Trials
'77 AJS Stormer Factory converted Scrambler / Road bike.

Lu, why don't you and PF#1 just kiss and make up? :E

Giovanni Cento Nove
27th Jan 2004, 04:21
Scary the number of pilot's here who ride Hardly Dangerous's, then again owners do imitate their dog's as well!

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2004, 05:10
If you guys are really into bikes then check out these sites:

http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/

http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/

http://www.indianlarry.com/

Not shown on Indian Larrys' site is his hubless rear wheel. There is no visible hub , no spokes nothing just air.

Good luck surfing. Hopefully you won't suffer from bike envy.

vorticey
27th Jan 2004, 11:52
sure throttle action is oposite handed on a bike, but try take'in the tinny (aluminium boat with outboard motor) out for a squirt now and it all comes floodin back!:oh:

PPRUNE FAN#1
27th Jan 2004, 11:52
Steve 76:Ex- Z1 drivers rock! (even if you do have a bike that only manages to produce 60hp for a 883 cc engine.... )

Your days on the old 900 will offset that for a few years to come.(Cool website, Steve. I'm a Kawasaki man through and through!)

You know, I've never understood the huge objection that some riders raise to the low power/displacement ratio of the Harley. It's as if there is some rule that decrees every engine must squeeze the maximum amount of horsepower out or it just ain't worth a ****e. Personally, I never held it against Harley that their engines weren't as thermodynamically efficient as they "ought" to be.

At 900 and 1000cc's respectively, my Z-1's do manage to eke out a few more ponies than my Sportster (not really that many). But the Harley transmits that lesser power to the rear wheel in a much more viscerally satisfying way. Then again, I prefer two-blade Bells to multi-blade Astars, and too the rumble of a radial piston engine to the pilot-ish whine of a turbine, so I'm probably just an anachronism like big ol' gay Lu.

It was in the 1970's that motorcycle magazine editors began demanding that all bikes adhere to the "Japanese standard." Bikes from the Orient were as smooth as sewing machines, and had controls that required virtually no effort. They had wonderful power/weight ratios, great brakes, and for the most part were very user-friendly. Harleys, on the other hand, were derided as "out of step with the times" and "horrendously old-fashioned." There were sarcastically referred to as "boat anchors" a phrase that many hot-dog non-Harley riders repeat with great relish. Trouble is, I don't like riding sewing machines.

Oddly, despite all of its so-called "faults," my Sportster has been the most fun bike I've ever owned. It's certainly not the best-performer. And I am single-handedly keeping G.E. in business with my ever-replenishing supply of head-, tail- and turn-signal light bulbs. But I have never once said, "Gee, I wish that clutch lever didn't take so much energy to pull," or "Gee, I wish that rear suspension had four inches of travel instead of three," or "Gee, I wish this Sportster was as fast as that there CBR600." In fact, I've never even said, "Gee, I wish this Harley didn't leak so much," because it does not.

When I go places on my bright red and chrome Harley, people come up and talk like they know me. That never has happened on any of my Japanese bikes. What my Sportster does is give me incredible motorcycling satisfaction every time I turn the key. That it is not the fastest or best-handling bike on the block is not important. If it was, I would buy the latest-and-greatest sportbike from Kawi.

And I may still yet!

Lu Z:Me, gay? Sometimes you make me so angry if you were here right now I would hit you with my purse.Ahh, no worries, Lu, I was just poking fun at ya. We've all done things when we're drunk that we regret. ...At least, I hope you were drunk... Hey, if you ever get out to the desert southwest, I'll buy you a beer and give you a ride on my Sportster. But I've got to warn you- *I* sit in the front and steer.

Tiger_mate
27th Jan 2004, 15:48
*I* sit in the front and steer.

Perhaps we should start another thread on how many aviators would not sit on the pillion of a motorcycle. For whilst I can live with others driving the helicopter, there is NO-WAY that I would put faith in others riding skills!!

Whirlygig
27th Jan 2004, 18:18
Tiger_mate,

Like helicopter pilots, motorcyclists realise that if they kill you they will probably kill themselves as well:)

Therefore, the vast majority of us do not do anything stupid since we don't tend to bounce too well.

I think you would thoroughly enjoy yourself riding pillion; I am very good with nervous pax ;) and you would realise how much more you can see of the countryside and the road.

If you trust the person as a pilot, why not as a motorcyclist? In my case, you would far better off with my 1,000s hours on a bike as opposed to just about 100 in helicopter :D

rotorrookie
29th Jan 2004, 06:18
Some dirt bikes and racers,last on was a Yammi FZR 1000 excellent bike lots of torque and good handling,very fast and good for the open road (NO police helicopters in Iceland and the volvo they use are not so fast hehe) gonna get me a eduro bike next since Iceland is a haven for eduro and dirt riding :} :cool:

MD900 Explorer
29th Jan 2004, 07:56
What you have to realise is that some people are better pax in a helo, and would be a nightmare on a bike.

You only need the pax to be leaning in the opposite direction when pax on a bike and the corner then turns into a straight.

When the pax leans the other way in a BH06 or an RH22,, funnily enough the helo doesnt have the possiblity for a crash (@ 2000amsl) :suspect:

Pillions are unique...:{ you either have a good one, or a crap one. Pax is Pax, and will either vomit or praise the hell out of you...:E

Either way..take pax in a helo, not a bike. Pax on a bike= weight, (Unless it's a fit bird, and i'm not talking Bernard Mathews)...Get my Drift?:ok:

MD

Steve76
29th Jan 2004, 09:04
I just tell them it is like a dance.

You need to be one with me and the bike. Go with the flow and relax....I sit in the FRONT and lead the dance.
The only issue is when the rear passenger reaches over and winds on a whole lot of throttle ........ Squeek! :ok:
....freakin' nutter....

You blokes should see Squeek ride. Absolutely sensational. I need to spend more time following him just to watch and learn.

PS: "dancing" is a lot easier with a sheila..... :hmm:

Blue Rotor Ronin
29th Jan 2004, 10:04
Got knocked off my Africa twin last thurs. The bike's possibly the strongest on the road (or off, for a big trailie), damage to my bike 300 squid, the insurance company are considering writing off his (bless im, jus pass is tess) poxy likkle ford God knows wotnot.
I came off remarkably well considering, a bruised foot. Bless those heavily padded winter leathers, however HUGE shout of confidence and gratitiude to the makers of ALPINE STARS motorcross boots which basically saved my left foot from multiple breakage and agonising pain. 50mph through the bumper, grill, headlight and left wing of any car whilst still having a foot that can sing praises such as these deserves ultimate recognition. Suggest good footwear when you ride peeps. Wishing you many safe road and air journeys for the future.:ok:

Whirlygig
29th Jan 2004, 16:02
MD900 - fair point, well made !!:ok:

Weight can be a problem especially if the pillion is heavier than me but normally, with appropriate safety briefing (i.e. put your hands round my waist, follow my body movements and if in doubt bl**dy well sit still and DO NOT put your feet down), I have not found it to be an issue. I ride a Bonne so speed is hardly my top priority.

Whilst I have taken women on the back of my bike that is because we are close friends not because they are... uhm... fit birds ;)

However, strapping young men..... that's a different matter

;)

Cheers

Whirlygig

cpt
29th Jan 2004, 17:15
Mine, is a blue Yamaha 125 DTMX, why ?

StevieTerrier
29th Jan 2004, 22:58
Classic sixties scooters for me. I have 2 x Lambrettas, a 1968 SX200 and a 1969 GP200. I reckon if you are going to kill yourself on two wheels, you might as well look good while you're doing it!

Pillions? I don't recall any problems from my "original" scooter days, but when I tried to take the missus for a spin last summer, we spent the whole time bashing lids together every time I braked. She decided gardening is more fun, so now I am back to solo riding. Nearly hit 70 mph once!

MightyGem
30th Jan 2004, 10:44
Hi Steve, I was beginning to think I was the only one. :ok:

StevieTerrier
30th Jan 2004, 19:32
MightyGem -

We're probably the only two I guess! Although I hardly ever see any other Lambos around on a daily basis, it's amazing how many are still out there.

Do you do any of the Northern Rallies / Runs (Gingers Egg Run?) or are you a strictly Sunday-lunchtime-cruise-around-in-the-sunshine kind of guy? I sort of sit in the middle - you know, go on the runs if it's not raining. And I'm not working. And if I can get the f@@@er to start of course.

ST

jayteeto
30th Jan 2004, 23:11
PPrune Fan... You have hit the nail on the head. When I ride the Kawasaki 550, no-one looks twice. The Harley? Everyone looks and my ego becomes even worse. It vibrates, it is uncomfortable, it is a bitch to clean, the backfires are amazing when you start it hot...... But I love it!!
Mighty Gem, I need to see this classic scooter, bring it in to work on tuesday.
Tiger mate... You might talk to HD riders, but we ignore VFR riders!! J for...

rotorboy
31st Jan 2004, 04:45
2002 BMW F-650GS

someone is giving me a 1970's single cylinder Duacati dirtbike, dosent run, thats all I know.

RB

Thud_and_Blunder
31st Jan 2004, 18:08
1975 - Yamaha DT175 paid for by my 21st birthday 50 quid spending money. Perfect way to get around post-invasion Cyprus (unit Pt 1 orders included "no motorcycling in shorts or flip-flops (thongs to you Ozzies...)

1976-78 Honda CB200 with the L-plates off when nipping up from Odiham to Valley to see the old course-mates sweating through training while I was already on a Sqn.

These days - nada, zilch, zip, rien, nothing. Well, you try marrying a nursing sister who used to run a trauma-orthopaedic ward and then say you're thinking about motorcycling! The only people she thinks rank lower in the pond-life scale than motorcyclists are parachutists (I haven't done that since 1975...

31st Jan 2004, 23:35
Oh dear oh dear!

I am afraid to tell you chaps that, as a seasoned Volvo Estate driver, it is my sworn duty to change lanes without indicating, never look before pulling out from a junction and absolutely never, never to 'Think Twice, Think Bike'.

If you do end up on the bonnet of my Swedish tank could you please have the consideration not to scratch the paint?

Worse still I know where you live and what you ride.

"Sorry Officer, I just didn't see him or his 1/2 million candlepower headlight."

"Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre? No Constable, can't say I'm familiar with that one"

LOOSE NUT
1st Feb 2004, 01:57
Crab,

you are over 65 then. ok:

LN:

IanHud
1st Feb 2004, 03:09
Ducati 996, chipped up with race cans.

Its loud and I'm proud !

Ian

LOOSE NUT
1st Feb 2004, 03:33
Ride Honda PanEuros with Hi-Viz markings, which certainly add to safety, people see us for miles
Just ordered a Harley V-Rod with custom pipes, crome and paint for Sundays

LN

1st Feb 2004, 17:46
LN - that would just give me a whole extra set of excuses for sideswiping motorbikes - not being able to see over the steering wheel - not being able to hear the roar/whine of the Italian/Japcrap projectile - not feeling the bump as you run over the pillion passenger - not noticing 10 grands worth of penis extension embedded in the wheel arch.

No I'm not over 65 although I certainly feel like it some days. I have yet to convince her indoors that is is OK for me to have a mid-life crisis and wear leather...or was that soemthing else I was thinking about!!

LOOSE NUT
1st Feb 2004, 19:51
Cran,

just joking, you are trying to wind us petrol heads up ?? are you not

LN

Thomas coupling
1st Feb 2004, 22:55
Mercy me...ban the bike, not on your nelly.
We'd have no-one to chase then would we, on weekends through the winding hillside:E

2nd Feb 2004, 02:51
LN, yes of course I'm taking the p**s, I'm only jealous cos I haven't got a bike. However I lost a few schoolfriends to motorbikes in the 80's and spent an unpleasant night in Casualty after bouncing of a tree on my trail bike. I have watched a lot of my colleagues buy bikes in their 40's and either scare or hurt themselves trying to recapture their youth.
The truth is that since the 80's the roads have become so much more congested and the bikes have become so much more powerful that being a biker requires a lot more care than it used to - I'm sure TC will vouch for that!
One ex-workmate of mine was a long time biker and he left the services to fly air ambulance in Essex - he said it was just so depressing picking up bits of biker from RTAs.
Safe riding chaps and watch out for those Volvos!

rotorbloke
2nd Feb 2004, 05:05
Did lots of biking when I was younger, BSA Bantam!!!, Triumph Blazer, Honda 250. Sorry, at least it was the original and not a "wet dream". Many years of being a responsible family man pining for two wheels.

Last summer bought a Suzuki Intruder Volusia 800, why did I wait so long. Loads of torque and all the street cred and admiration of a harly at half the cost and a great deal less hassle.

Ride safe guys.

The Bloke

Squeek
2nd Feb 2004, 18:48
Dear Steve76,

Memory serving, you somehow convinced me it was alright to put 5 litres of your hard earned fuel drains in MY back pack. Fearing that I may have been transformed into a comet at any moment I only wanted to get home sooner…..should the truth be known;)

MD900 Explorer
3rd Feb 2004, 07:39
Crab

You know, i was with a nursing sister once, i have to say whenever she wore those rubber gloves.....:ok:

Squeek & Steve 76

You two should get together, Maybe you could post a few photos on pprune? :ok: (:yuk: )

IanHud

Nice Motor dude, just don't turn into a certain person...:{

jayteeto

Just how many IFR bike riders have you met. (the road is twisty and all you have is a rev counter and a speedo, if you are lucky!!)?? :sad:

rotorbloke

You may have had street cred dude, but did you have said bird with you then? :ok:

MD

Steve76
3rd Feb 2004, 10:07
Damn I had forgotten about those fuel drains.....
Really made the turbo on the Mitsi crank too. HA!

All I can remember is the cord to the Alpha flailing about passing the 190km mark....

I think I will post a piccie or two MD...that'll show ya.
All piccies of Squeek are just a blur. :}

the wizard of auz
3rd Feb 2004, 11:02
I got a Yamy WR426 for weekend blatting, A Yamy XT350 with a bit of work done on her, I use as a bush bike and for mustering the odd bullock and a Kwaka 1000GTR concours for touring about.
(got a C310,C172,Ford Fairmont sedan,Landcruizer tray back,Nissan patrol stn wgn, and a commadore stn wgn as well. Just about got it all covered). the kids have a Honda XR80 and XR100 and me eldest boy is about to get a YZ250F. plenty of bikes to play with around here. :ok:

Captain Lai Hai
3rd Feb 2004, 17:29
I have an octopus card at the moment that enables me access to the marvelous public transport system in HK and presently seeking permission for a 132" ORCA in the link below

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/113orca.htm

jayteeto
4th Feb 2004, 06:04
MD 900..... No IFR? Tut Tut.....
motorbike Limited Panel:

Revs up = Downhill
Revs Down = Uphill
Regular bumping noises = Cats eyes so ease left
Loss of left kneecap = Ease right (quickly)
Instant stopping = Wall ahead

No probs :ok:

Hughesy
4th Feb 2004, 08:19
I used to have a 1996 Honda XR250. Mint bike, and enough power to keep me entertained.

I was trail riding with a mate when I kaned off in soft sand, the Gaerne boots saved me from some nasty burns, and I was left on my stomach, with the bike pinning my legs. I had to wait for my mate to arrive to pick it off me as I was stuck.
Kept my self entertained by building sandcastles. :O :} :}

MD900 Explorer
5th Feb 2004, 04:40
Jayteeto

I didn't mean the rider being IFR qualified, i meant IFR kitted out Bikes. My kneecaps may be dodgy after having shaved a few cats eyes and kerbs, but my instrument panel is v. basic (Takes the weight off the bike) so i have more chance of getting to the wall even quicker. :E :E

MD

fullflaps
5th Feb 2004, 04:54
Hey Guys.... Being my first post, it is a pleasure to place it in the one area that gives me a buzzzz.......Helicopters and bikes. I gave up my beloved Honda VF750four some years back to help pay for my Instructor rating and still haven't found the bike to replace it.
"Oh those sundays of crusing and forgetting the worries of the week." :ok:

Aesir
25th Jun 2005, 20:17
Finally got back into motorcycle´s after many years.

In the old day´s the only bike I could afford were Japanese but now I am finally able to afford the real thing.

Just got my brand new 2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200C.

codeman97867
25th Jun 2005, 20:31
1984 Fatboy
Best thing i ever invested in...Wife begs me to take her for a ride.:ok:

Heli-Ice
25th Jun 2005, 21:16
Had a 1987 Suzuki DR600R Dakar a few years ago.

chopperdr
25th Jun 2005, 23:27
1st bike: 84 suzuki GS550E, rode into ground, twice to reno races from vancouver in 1 day. loved that bike

2nd: 85 yoshimura prepared GS550EF, split into 2 pieces, westwood, turn 3. one set of leathers destroyed

3rd: 85 ninja 600, underpowered, looked nice

4th: 85 gixxer 750, 1st year in north america, canadian spec, fastest, lightest of all the gixxers, still the lightest even today.

5th: 84 GPZ1100, EX track bike, brutal fast with all the tricks. sold for major profit to japanese collector

6th: 72 kawa 500 triple, fun until scorching a large hole in piston, preserved my license for along time on that rig

current ride: 2002 yamaha R1 limited edition, all the good fast bits. unbeliveable ride, not good for distance

next bike: 2003 ZRX1200 Lawson Replica, rode one last week, good bye R1

on order: 2006 norton 952, stunning

loachboy
26th Jun 2005, 00:13
Suzuki GSXR 750's had three of 'em.

Great bikes, kept me in and out of trouble many times.

Had 8 bikes in total

:E

Loachy

IFMU
26th Jun 2005, 02:00
1981 Suzuki GN400 1-lunger. Had it since I was 15. Haven't been able to kill it yet.

1989 FJ1200

Used to have a 1981 Suzuki GS650, rode it across the USA and back. I probably would have gotten more into bikes, but found aviation instead.

-- IFMU

bladewashout
26th Jun 2005, 08:56
1995: Aprilia RS-250 2-stroke. Great bike!

1996: CBR600 FT to commute on, did 65k miles rain and shine before I sold it as a nail.

1998: Bimota 500 V-Due, now one of only 3 left in the country with 1k miles on the clock. The bike that broke Bimota still doesn't go properly and Bimota has gone bust!

2002: Honda @125 scooter - perfect for getting to the station!

BW

Sabre Zero 1
26th Jun 2005, 12:28
Started on a Yamaha FZR 250 (19,000rpm redline!!!), crashed that (twice) and got a Honda CBR 400, crashed that (three times) and got a Honda RVF 400 which I still have (but have crashed it twice!).

I should probably give bikes a miss. :ouch:

Quick Release
26th Jun 2005, 13:46
Yea bikes and choppers aahhhh.
ZX9 2000 model, no speed limits , hot weather , 5k streach of windy road ,our choppers taking off from airport and see you at the other end!! those were the days :{ miss them.

ambidextrous
26th Jun 2005, 17:48
1978 Suzuki GT500 and yes I do wear an open-face helmet with goggles! (would like a BMW so am amenable to offers for the bike)plus a 1969 Triumph TR6, the sports car that is.
with fraternal greetings, ambi

HeliMark
26th Jun 2005, 18:03
2005 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom (mine)

2005 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster Low (wifes)

Gaseous
26th Jun 2005, 19:11
Puch Maxi 197??
Dot demon1961
AJS stormer197?
Triton '58 wideline with '61 T120R - still got this one.
Triumph Trident 750 1971
Suzuki GT250
Kawasaki Z1 - wish I still had this one.

Not really a bike but a Grinnall Scorpion trike with BMW K1100.
Oh, and since I mention trikes a Heinkel and a Messerschmitt.

The Z1 was the best.
The only one I ever fell off on the road was the Puch Maxi
:}

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/avenuedentistry/bike.jpg

Whirlygig
26th Jun 2005, 19:20
Oh well Gaseous, if you can admit to a Puch Maxi, I will admit to a Norton Villiers Triumph Easy Rider (NVT ER2P) step thru' moped. The frame was the petrol tank and you add to add your two-stroke oil into the tank from sachets. :p

NVT ER2P (http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/150/811/)

But I know someone who had an even more embarassing moped but my lips are sealed :E

Cheers

Whirls

Steve76
26th Jun 2005, 21:48
Hey Gaseous... check this puppy out
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/Steve76/Bloomington_0369.jpg

I also have another Z900 with an 1150cc kit in her that will be streetfightered as soon as I am a rich pilot.
Also have a GSXR 400 Bandit and an XR80 for the tiddlywinks in the basement.

Previously:

Kawazaki ZX10 1989 - did the 5000kms to FSI in West Palm return in 4 days. What a great bike. Also rode the "Dragon" in North Carolina on her.

Suzuki GSX 750 1981 - stolen
Kawazaki KE 175 1980's
Suzuki GT 125 1970's
Suzuki 50cc from the 1960's

Enjoyed a lot of time on Yamaha 650 specials belonging to mates and a Volkswagon powered trike. Fastest ride yet: 2003 GSXR 1000 - 270kms/hr on the clock at a demo ride day.
GIDDY THE F#$K UP!!!

Captain Pheremone
27th Jun 2005, 12:00
KTM 950s Adventure...it loves the African bush more than I do.

chopperchav
27th Jun 2005, 13:13
Take delivery of mv agusta tamburini on wednesday. One of 300 in world. Little bit excited.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
27th Jun 2005, 17:59
If you want bikes and helis check out full throttle famous on men and motors................

Dannyrotorpilot
27th Jun 2005, 20:11
I had a 2001 GSXR 100 then sold that and had a 2004 gsxr 1000 and sold it and now am getting a 2005 gsxr 1000. The guy who said heli pilots do not prefer crotch rockets is way wrong. i know a few other heli pilots with crotchrockets.

Whirlygig
27th Jun 2005, 20:52
i know a few other heli pilots with crotchrockets.
...er... have we met?

All I can say is that I ride a motorbike, ride horses and, many years ago, played the 'cello! Something to do with having ....????

Cheers

Whirls

Although a Triumph Bonneville is hardly a "crotchrocket" (as you so delightfully put it), it does have a certain "resonance"!

Dannyrotorpilot
27th Jun 2005, 21:20
Sure have not...........

Whirlygig
27th Jun 2005, 21:28
'Salright Danny, Whirls is just being a little devilish!!

Cheers

W

Dannyrotorpilot
28th Jun 2005, 01:19
Its all cool!!:ok:

pitot212
24th Feb 2010, 07:54
This is my preferred mode of transport to and from the airport...
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/Bigmac103/Candy-Blue.jpg

Jimbob0800
24th Feb 2010, 08:04
Hi guys,

Thundercat for me. Keeps me going since I've run out of money for any more flying since got the CPL. Will not sell it as would only get few hours in the sky for it now anyway. Never had problem with the throttle personally since other hand. There must be some truth in "pilots ride" as there seem to be a lot of us in here now.

Anyway, if anyone organises a rideout in Scotland let me know as I'll be up for that. Preferably when there is less snow than now.

J

oldbeefer
24th Feb 2010, 10:43
Blimey - a 5yr old thread resurrected! Jayteeto - I remember your 'experience' in '04 very well.

On the subject, I'll stick with my '69 Bonnie - a proper bike!

EN48
24th Feb 2010, 11:34
What kind of bike(s) do you ride;

1970 Honda CB750K1
1977 Honda CB750F2
1998 BMW R1100GS
1998 BMW K1200RS

None currently, but looking at a BMW R1200GS.

Hedge36
24th Feb 2010, 14:17
I highly recommend it :ok:

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Travel/The-Move/oops/153987511_kGWKq-M.jpg

hillerman
24th Feb 2010, 17:23
2004 BMW R1200 GS:ok:

Stoey
24th Feb 2010, 18:32
None at the moment.
Had a Honda CB500 for three years, sold it when I went to the US.
bought a GSXR 600 05 in the US had it for a year.

The next might be a supermotard ala Husaberg, KTM or a GSXR again.

John R81
24th Feb 2010, 18:45
Currently a Honda ST1300 Pan European

Last one was a BMW R1150 GS, looked at the 12 but didn't like it.

flyer43
24th Feb 2010, 19:41
About 25 years ago I rode my wife's Gilera 50 to the garage for its service and MOT. Does this count?

F43

dammyneckhurts
24th Feb 2010, 19:43
-09 Ducati 696 for a street bike

-07 GSXR 600 for a track bike. Heading to the track tomorrow...can't wait!

I only want to sit in a "Chopper" and fly it.... no desire to sit on one and ride it.

John Eacott
24th Feb 2010, 20:01
R1200RT :ok:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/3696-1/ride_for_the_hills_44.jpg

Off to Western Australia on Saturday, about 10,000km planned riding :cool:

firebird_uk
24th Feb 2010, 20:04
BMW R1200GS - to ride
Audi RS6 - to drive
R44 - to fly

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! :}

Teglen
24th Feb 2010, 21:24
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4386028640_d5ff004237_o.jpg
Ride: 1997 Triumph Daytona T595
Drive: 2006 BMW M6
Fly: R44 (unfortunately not my own)

ec135driver
25th Feb 2010, 12:29
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/cummings_2009/Bikes/DSC00003.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/cummings_2009/Bikes/Cartagena011.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/cummings_2009/Bikes/_ALC0604.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/cummings_2009/Bikes/DSC00010.jpg

and a Volkswagen Transporter T4! Then there is the day job

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/cummings_2009/Helicopters/WAAMillenniumStadium114.jpg

dillardrg
25th Feb 2010, 13:39
Honda Shadow ACE Tourer VT1100T and Bell 412 (retired)

Ron
advancedtailwheeltraining.com

wallism
25th Feb 2010, 13:57
Me Kawasaki ZX9R (in black - same as my R44 R2)
& FZR 400 RRSP for the track
My examiner BMW 1100 something or other
My previous chief pilot Ducatti 998 I think
Even the CAA helicopter test pilot showed up at Farnborough on his bike.

On a similar line to throttles, what about kids like me who had "soap box" carts so we always operate the yaw pedals the wrong way round?

FH1100 Pilot
25th Feb 2010, 14:13
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt114/n206th/2005883b.jpg

My baby, the 2005 883. I know, I'm old. Yeah, I might love a ZX-14, but there really is nowhere to ride such a beast around here. The Sporty is nimble, it's quick, it's fun, and it doesn't encourage me to play boy-racer on the street. Plus, NOBODY asks me, "Is that a Suzu...err, Hon...err, Yam...ahh...what is that?"

shanel
25th Feb 2010, 19:46
Ducati 1098 Tricolore.

Is there any other bike?

The Famous Eccles
26th Feb 2010, 11:30
Got 2006 fireblade as a ride to work bike,always arrive with a smile for some reason !!

Scotsheli
26th Feb 2010, 18:52
CBR1100 - and if anyone knows how to fit snow chains I might even get to use the bloody thing!

HoverD
26th Feb 2010, 21:08
VTR1000 Firestorm, my all time fav bike, wheelie good fun :ok:

Honda XR400R for those rare wet days down the lanes in Blighty :rolleyes:

Jincheng JC50 Monkey bike kept in the campervan under the table (yes it's that small!) and handy when you need to pop out for more beer on holiday! :O

Happy days!

HeliComparator
26th Feb 2010, 22:20
Hayabusa K8. Outrageously fast but handling could be better!

HC

Katoom
26th Feb 2010, 23:36
What kind of bike(s) do you ride;

In order of money spent...

Suzuki TC125, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha IT175, KTM 250GS, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ400, Husqvarna CR125, Husqvarna CR250, Suzuki RM250, Suzuki RM465, Husqvarna WR430, Honda CR250, Yamaha XV1000, Yamaha FJ1200, Kawasaki KLX250, KTM 250MC, KTM 400MC, KTM 495MC, Yamaha FJ1300.

And my favourite trail bike; R22!

The Famous Eccles
27th Feb 2010, 09:57
ok, Duty thicko here, how do I put photos in my replies,keeps asking for a URL,can I not just insert them from my pictures folder?

Frustrated from Newark :ugh:

Cancel my last, just did that unusual thing and read the instructions in the first thread, ho hum

belly tank
27th Feb 2010, 10:58
Goto luv those bikes dont you!!..........career has been to date,

Honda Z50 aged 5
Honda xr80 (broken ankle)
Honda CR80
Yamaha YZ125 1988 model
Yamaha YZ250 1992 model (broke leg, arm, other wrist)
Honda CR500 1995 model (fortunaltely no broken bones.....amazed)

switch to road bikes

Suzuki Across 250
Suzuki GSXR 750 1997 model
and to present day

1994 model DUCATI 900SS (ive seen the light!!) and ive kept it in the shed ever since
http://arch.smugmug.com/photos/22534-M-1.jpg

bast0n
27th Feb 2010, 17:13
The Compton Flyer

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Compton_Flyer01_1-1.jpg

Honda Mini Trail - cos it fits in the back of all known helicopters - Standfast R22s

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Peanut_Arctic_02.jpg

1924 Vindec - because I can..............

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/jsf_Vindec02.jpg

So there:ok:

ianp
27th Feb 2010, 17:35
Moto Guzzi Le Mans:ok:

Hedge36
27th Feb 2010, 18:19
Howdy, Arch http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/wave.gif

A few of my most recent:

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bike-Schtuff/1000192/45174355_4y4JW-M.jpg

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bike-Schtuff/1000058/44881523_KZk8y-M.jpg

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bike-Schtuff/1013778/95544979_wnpn6-M.jpg

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bike-Schtuff/R100/108778905_8QkGH-M.jpg

Elvis70
2nd Mar 2010, 00:56
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Elvis70/DR65011-13-09.jpg[/IMG]

DR650. Like a helicopter- unrefined, low tech, utilitarian, go anywhere, happiest in the bush. Only differece is a DR650 is cheap.

Never sold a bike to pay for training, but I did sell a Dick Gulstrand Corvette.

Hedge36
2nd Mar 2010, 01:01
It's no KLR, that's for sure.

I sold everything EXCEPT the bike to pay for training.

Brutus 5
2nd Mar 2010, 02:59
KTM 950 Super enduro, a handfull on off road, but lots of power. Love it!!!:ok:

TylerMonkey
9th Mar 2010, 02:53
http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/11/94/64/62/summit10.jpg

Heli-Ice
14th Mar 2010, 12:59
Elvis

Great bike you have. I had a 1987 Dakar DR 600, still miss it.

rotorrookie
14th Mar 2010, 22:31
I used to have Yammi like this one, great superfast bike, sold it when got the idea to spend on helicopter training.
http://www.yamaha-motor.pl/designcafe/en/Images/FZR100090_re_3r%2006_tcm71-233691.JPG
But enduro-riding is the best of em all.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4432816217_7feef1b57f.jpg
Now I got this great enduro bike, Husaberg 550 (ktm's half-brother, just better)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4433594146_8639e9e808.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4432813863_bdc1553965_o.jpg

HelipadR22
22nd Dec 2010, 00:04
Sold my Kawasaki ZX7R P4 this year to fund my first 5 hours of lessons. I have a BMW R100RS (Similar to the one above but it has the bigger tourer fairing).

I tend not to ride so much any more..... I think its dangerous *lol*

grumpytroll
22nd Dec 2010, 03:19
like may others, i started out on a honda 50 mini trail. love that little machine and they are still available refurbished. next was a suzuki 50 which was more or less a full size bike. I went on to a honda 250... I now own a suzuki marauder and my wife rides a honda shadow. I would buy a harley street rod or honda st 1300 or bmw st but i only have time to ride about a thousand miles a year. i love to ride, sometimes 15 minutes of pure acceleration satisfies my urge. If i had a faster bike i would probably be dead or without a license because i love to ride fast, as fast as the machine will carry me. cheers

ambidextrous
22nd Dec 2010, 10:01
As an apprentice (remember those?), started out with a James Captain which got rebuilt monthly, then a Royal Oilfield Continental Super 5 which regularly dumped all the engine oil over the rear wheel; made for interesting handling when on the newly opened M1!
Followed by a fallow period of some 40 years when my dear wife, noticing I was reading MCN & watching Moto GP bought me a one day refresher course; the rest as they say is history. Now a fully qualified BAMBI, starting with a Suzuki 500GT followed by a BMW K1100Lt SE and now downsizing to a BMW F650CS belt drive which is all my back will allow me to handle these days!
PS: Oh, I nearly forgot the Triumph T140 V, 750cc engine sitting in my backyard waiting to be rebuilt & shoehorned into that imaginary Triton for a 'burnup' to the Ace!!!::sad:

jayteeto
22nd Dec 2010, 11:11
Yamaha FS1-M (restricted one) - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Suzuki TS100 - good fun
Suzuki GS550E - ragged it rotten and it never let me down
Yamaha RD250LC - The best bike in the world, EVER!! I want another one.
CZ 175 - Never really worked
Yamaha DT175 - built from a box of bits
Honda C70 ............. Classic fun!
Kawasaki Z550 - another 'project', ended up giving it away.
Presently, Harley XL53C - Painful, but fun.

Aubrey.
22nd Dec 2010, 20:34
Don't fly helicopters, only planes, but do have one of these:

Suzuki GSX-R600 K5
http://www.gsxr.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/suzuki_gsx-r_600_k5_1.jpg

HeliCraig
23rd Dec 2010, 06:45
Nice bike Aubrey... remarkably similar to mine.

Suzuki GSX-R600 L0
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/212719406.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1293091239&Signature=IBB%2FDGSAUj29l8yBwCZMoKpkVjY%3D

(My brother has a GSX-R1000 K5, awesome bit of kit! But then again he also has a 1976 GT750 (Kettle). )

Garfs
23rd Dec 2010, 06:49
Had a 110cc Scotter when I was 16, then rode a Harley (given it to look after by a friend for 1 year)

Then bought myself a 1999 CBR600, then an 04 GSX-R600..............

Also have another scooter now for when I want to nip round the corner

Aucky
24th Dec 2010, 09:18
It's all about Triumph, not these Japanese bikes... :) my toy is the street triple. Outstanding bike

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7582/streettriplerhfblackwal.jpg

Aubrey.
24th Dec 2010, 10:34
The GSX-R1000 K5 is an awesome beast, I've ridden one a few times. With hindsight I should have gone for one instead of my 600, as they're not that scary really ;)

thorpey
24th Dec 2010, 12:41
Current bike, Honda XR 650 in supermoto trim, a real blast, then there's the motocrosser in the garage for off road fun!

chopper.al
24th Dec 2010, 22:37
It would make my day if you were Dave Thorpe!!!

heliwanab
25th Dec 2010, 17:10
after getting my reply (eventually) from the CAA tellin me my eyesight was too dodgy for a class1 :mad: i went and bought a triumph daytona 955i centennial edition in British racing green.

Not quite the PPL(H) i was lookin for:{

virvar
25th Dec 2010, 19:56
BMW GS1200R :ok:

Vertical Freedom
26th Dec 2010, 03:12
Here is my girlfriend which I ride when in India. (Indian Harley) She is a classic Royal Enfield 'Bullet' Electra 350, engine technology is 70 years old but she handles amazingly nicely & she purrs with a thump that can be heard for miles. Perfect for Indian roads..............:ok:http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/rotors99/Bullet350.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/rotors99/Electra350.jpg

jackx123
26th Dec 2010, 04:15
price seems good too: $1800 :ok:

unstable load
26th Dec 2010, 06:04
I'm an Engineer, not a pilot, but I guess (hope) it still counts....

1977 Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans with the non-pumper Sport carbs and REX pipes.
Loud and Sweet!

Vertical Freedom
26th Dec 2010, 06:05
When I bought her, 21/2 years ago I paid 74,000INR total price on the road along with registration & comprehensive insurance which also included a fat boy rear tyre, 2 x leather saddle bags, sports exhaust, knee guards & 2 x bull horns that was $1,480 US back then. Have done just over 25,000 klms since with nothing but usual 3,000klm services. Plus a new set of tyres, brake pads & chain/sprocket set just changed. So she is very cheep to run less than 1 rupee per klm for maintenance & 1 rupees 50 paise for petrol, so total running cost less than 3 rupees a klm - nice ;). She averages 35kpl but that is in Delhi traffic. Flat strap lying on the petrol tank with nil head wind she will do 109 kph :ok:

Hueytiger
26th Dec 2010, 10:55
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa....what else? :E

GoodGrief
26th Dec 2010, 11:00
Honda XLV750...what else?

I Build 92's
26th Dec 2010, 13:27
1988 1200cc Sporty, for running to the store...
1998 Ducati ST2, for those days when everything else is just too slow!
2011 BMW R1200RT, what every motorcycle should be!:cool:

Blackhorse
26th Dec 2010, 17:59
Back in 72 I had leave between US Army basic training at Ft Polk La, and pilot training at Ft Wolters TX. I rode my old shovel head Harley from my home in Las Vegas to Mineral Wells Tx. Then I found out that riding motorcycles was a disqualifing factor for helicopter training. The throttle on the TH55 worked in reverse as a motorcycle. I was lucky I was able to hide the bike and keep the secret. Still ride.

toptobottom
27th Dec 2010, 15:41
V-Rod for shorts 'n' T-shirts Sundays
Suzook Gixer 1000 K3 for track days
Kawasaki z900 for reminiscing and polishing
1907 Triump Vet (500cc single, no clutch and one gear) for the mantelpiece and ocaasional rally
BMW S1000RR: the ultimate road machine

whoateallthepies
28th Dec 2010, 12:13
My Dresda Triton

Bought when at Shawbury in '78

Rebuilt by Dave Degens in '88

Sold it to a "59" club member in '98 :{

It featured in "Classic Bike" magazine Nov '90

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/tritonright.jpg

whirlwind
28th Dec 2010, 14:36
Oh all right. I've resisted this thread for yonks, but waatp's Dresda has done it. I still have my Dresda Triumph (750 Morgo top end), and may turn it into a road bike and surprise a few folks. Here's my other race bike (500 Venom), which I just sold last month to help pay for the new house:hmm:.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/helicopterdcr/Cadwell%202007/290907-3510.jpg

whoateallthepies
28th Dec 2010, 17:07
Beaut whirlwind. Let's see the Dresda as well! http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/2637784011.jpg

Gbarral
29th Dec 2010, 11:03
This is my roadbike; a 2001 Fireblade. She's very fast and handles amazingly. I also have a 1980 Yam DT400M Trailbike. She threw me off last year and is the only bike to have damaged me in 36 years of riding.

A guy said to me some years ago " If you love fast bikes so much why not take up flying?" I told him I had a Pilots Licence. Yes, there is something about flying and biking.

http://www.motorcyclesupermarket.com/images/bikes/images/10939.1272010777.cbr900rry01y1.jpg

whirlwind
31st Dec 2010, 01:41
OK, waatp. Here's the Dresda - not a good pic, but it was -8 deg and we were all cold! Just started the bike on the rollers; what a lovely noise.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/helicopterdcr/DaveReadsDecember2010003.jpg

feuvolant
31st Dec 2010, 03:48
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R :ok:

whoateallthepies
31st Dec 2010, 03:55
V Nice mate!
This Jap stuff is all very swish but there's no excitement doing the "ton"on them. Whereas 100mph on my Triton involved hanging on for grim death as it rattled, vibrated and roared its way along in a cloud of oil mist, with me wondering which bit would fall off next!

Happy New Year http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/2637784011.jpg

foxmead
31st Dec 2010, 11:23
I find riding a good outlet and helps to maintain a sharp mind with the focus on hazards on the road, may sound odd but works for me. Track days an excellent blast expecially with 1:1 instruction, then back to day job.:ok:

toptobottom
31st Dec 2010, 11:33
Whoateallthe pies

As I said to an aging but still very enthusiastic rider of a lovely original Norton Commando 850 recently, "Aren't you woried about all that oil pi$$ing out of the engine?".

"No laddie!", he replied. "It's when the oil stops pi$$ing out that you want to start worrying!!". :}

Incidentally, if there are any PPruNers out there who fancy meeting at a track day next summer, please PM me!

TTB :ok:

ambidextrous
31st Dec 2010, 18:09
Disco Tim,
That looks a great piece of kit, could you PM me with details of the spec?
See my earlier post, have a T140V 750cc engine waiting to be rebuilt & shoehorned into something like this!
With fraternal greetings,
Ambi:ok:

captyankee
1st Jan 2011, 00:54
http://www.choppersinc.com/include/getimage.asp?file=\bikes\psy_2_large.jpg

captyankee
1st Jan 2011, 01:36
My poor baby is just sitting, waiting to ship to a pilot friend in Durban, R.S.A. But seems "Mama" not only holds the wallet but his huevos also!:= So it needs to find a new home now.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/firecopter/Motorcycles/IMG_0241-1.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/firecopter/Motorcycles/IMG_0244_2.jpg?t=1293850473

Now this is my big baby! '07 Road King Classic
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/firecopter/Motorcycles/IMG_0020.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/firecopter/Motorcycles/IMG_0021.jpg

And on my wish list!
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/firecopter/Motorcycles/001jpg.jpg

AW139 Engineer
8th Apr 2011, 18:27
In Canada engineers are buying Hyabusa's,ZX 14's, Ducati 999's where as the pilots around here drive 175 to 600 cc bikes and drive like women. Just down the taxiway a engineer is driving a Hyabusa bored out to 1600 CC with a super charger installed. Pilots tend to crash more often than engineers as they spend too much time looking at the motorcycle control panel than looking out through the windscreen.

enough said...

dammyneckhurts
8th Apr 2011, 18:44
AW139... When it comes to bikes power is over rated, unless of course it helps you compensate:E

Here is a vid from a track day we did at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago, I was on my little 750 having way too much fun.

YouTube - Laguna March 10th 2011 Keigwins A Group.mp4

foxmead
8th Apr 2011, 19:08
Looks great fun, what model of 750 were you riding? For me bikes are a great outlet and in a fun way focus the mind which helps to keep reactions sharp.

dammyneckhurts
8th Apr 2011, 19:48
Its a Suzuki... GSXR 750

OBX Lifeguard
9th Apr 2011, 15:01
Like this one?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/OBX-RIDER/Mike_Plane.jpg

Great for the track and a short trip...but for the longer road...I'll take this...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/OBX-RIDER/P1000509.jpg

...in fact I am, heading out two up for the Texas hill country and Big Bend on Monday ...:)

John R81
9th Apr 2011, 19:46
OBX L - looks awful without the rear panniers!

I have the same in Silver.

OBX Lifeguard
9th Apr 2011, 20:57
Meh...I had been riding with sidebags and top bag with two weeks of stuff and camping gear and wife on back for 10 days and had the opportunity to leave all that stuff for a few hours of solo corner strafing 'lite' near Moab...

It felt like I was riding my gixxer...:).

Here she is as more normally "rigged"...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/OBX-RIDER/IMG_0251.jpg

...just as comfortable for a quick nap as the floor of a UH-1...:zzz:..especially when the misses is in some tourist shoppe just taking a "second" to look around... If she had snapped this photo 5 seconds quicker, my head would have been on the box and 'sound' would have picked up me snoring...;)

John R81
10th Apr 2011, 08:46
Know what you mean. I had my tent strapped to rear seat for IoM TT last year. Fell asleep waiting to board the ferry. Mates in their power ranger suits & crotch rockets were jealous.

Ride safe

John

foxmead
10th Apr 2011, 10:29
Anyone been fortunate enough to place an order for the new Ducati Diavel or test ridden one???

OBX Lifeguard
10th Apr 2011, 13:24
And for when I want to pretend I am 16 again there is this....

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/OBX-RIDER/IMG_0027.jpg

John Eacott
10th Apr 2011, 21:23
While we're waiting for the K1600GT to arrive in Australia, I'm riding a K1200GT as an 'interim'. And finding the handling a little different to the R1200RT that I'm so used to, especially the extra 50 horses galloping away :cool:

Yesterday's ride, marshaling for an Instructed Ride through the Reefton Spur to Marysville. Great fun, even with rain, low cloud and an overt + covert Police presence :rolleyes:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5605440095_edd9e12004_z.jpg

and this is the sort of stuff the coppers get up to: the Policewoman had a laser to check traffic coming up the hill toward her, while the big tough blokes were standing the other side of the road by their cars waiting to chase anyone she pinged.

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/4373-1/Vid+cap.jpg

kennethr
20th Apr 2011, 20:13
Great post, loved the varied response!!

I work in Oman and ride a jap 600 sport but then again I am an engineer, what do I know ,a few of our pilots , at least the french models are all riding Harleys and wearing all the HD gear, What is that about???

kennethr
20th Apr 2011, 20:16
Its an old post but do you still have the bike here in Oman!!

KM

Ian Corrigible
27th May 2011, 18:02
Just for toptobottom: BMW S 1000 RR « Street Hawk » (http://www.helicomag.com/2011/03/01/bmw-s-1000-rr-street-hawk)

http://www.aero-blog.com/wp-helico/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/BMW-1000-RR-Sélection-HM-Cliché-JM-Salmon-2.jpg

http://www.aero-blog.com/wp-helico/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/BMW-1000-RR-Sélection-HM-Cliché-JM-Salmon-1.jpg

I/C

EN48
28th May 2011, 14:45
Been riding since long before flying. Started with a Whizzer motorbike at age 14, then a series of Honda 4 cyl bikes, including a 1970 CB 750 when they first came into the U.S. Seemed like a monster at the time, but now way down in the performance pack. Later a BMW K1200RS and R1100GS, and now a 2011 R1200GS Adventure set up for a ride across China (or not!). With all the crazies on the roads today, flying seems far safer.

bolkow
29th May 2011, 15:22
I always assumed they had them because they had to be "riding" something?

toptobottom
5th Jun 2011, 10:21
Thanks I/C. I was so impressed, I got one :ok:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/S1000RR.jpg

John Eacott
6th Jun 2011, 09:01
I'm currently on this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5605440095_edd9e12004_b.jpg

until my one of these arrives sometime in July :cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2008/5791303755_ac215007fc_z.jpg

birrddog
6th Jun 2011, 11:34
John, is the flashing blue light and siren kit an optional extra :E

John Eacott
28th Jun 2011, 11:04
A nice surprise: a month early, plus I got the first one in Australia :cool:

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/103639/IMG_0981/web.jpg

toptobottom
28th Jun 2011, 11:24
John - you liucky boy! I test rode one of these while I was waiting for my S1000RR. Electric everything, including the "i-Mode" style control on the bars for navigating through the plethora of menus. Awesome bike - enjoy!

Hedge36
29th Jun 2011, 03:08
That's got the sex appeal of the R12RTP with that killer engine. Nice acquisition, indeed.

The Pheonix
4th Jul 2011, 02:44
Here's a link to a hoverbike that looks like it would be great fun once sorted.

Photo Gallery (http://hover-bike.com/photos.html)

Hope to get to ride one of these before too long!

Already covered in Hoverbike makes debut (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/454228-hoverbike-makes-debut.html) :ok:

SP

chopcat
6th Jul 2011, 18:10
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/chopcat/a95c34c5.jpg
(http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/chopcat/a95c34c5.jpg)

flyheli
8th Jul 2011, 21:42
Very cool combo!

rotorrookie
9th Jul 2011, 01:08
John, did you buy one of the retiring NASA space shuttles?? which one is it ? Discovery or the Endeavour?? :E no envy here, congrats, great bike

SunderlandMatt
23rd Feb 2012, 22:59
Yamaha YZF600R and a 1950 Vincent Comet (complete with leather goggles).

fly4cash-ride4fun
8th Mar 2012, 16:00
2006 Harley Fatboy / customized with helicopter theme paint scheme

2004 BMW 1200 LT / Greatest ride there is for long hauls

And my newest edition, a 2009 Harley Rocker, getting it customized, looks great.

Hedge36
8th Mar 2012, 16:21
The latest airhead project continues...

http://hedge36.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-c3SMc7C/0/L/smugshot6611330-L.jpg

212man
10th Mar 2012, 02:37
One of our pilots just bought one of these: 2013 Victory Judge Motorcycle : Photos (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/cruisers/judge/pages/photos.aspx)

Never heard of them till I saw it!

skwinty
10th Mar 2012, 03:59
I only fly RC helicopters, but I ride a real motorcycle.:cool:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af92/skwinty/yamaha_mt01.jpg

c53204
10th Mar 2012, 18:49
I started PPL training and 2 weeks later bought a CBX1000 (1982). In 1984 I bought a new GPZ900 (original one). One of the best all round bikes and super fast for it's time, although the handling and brakes didn't inspire confidence like todays bikes.

tartare
11th Mar 2012, 23:31
Not a chopper pilot - but have often mused on the link between choppers and bikes.
As a lad, often thought the Hughes 500 (favourite machine) looked like it would feel like a high performance motorbike to fly - fast, maneuverable and demanding.
Sort of like my Ducati MS2R800 Monster with Sparks pipes.
Red, loud (they might not see you, but they can sure hear you...) and if not treated with the utmost respect... lethal.

Anthony Supplebottom
1st May 2012, 13:50
Man sues BMW after a four-hour motorcycle ride leaves him with two-year erection | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137471/Man-sues-BMW-hour-motorcycle-ride-leaves-year-erection.html)

toptobottom
1st May 2012, 14:47
Wonder if he wants to sell it? :E

ShyTorque
1st May 2012, 16:05
Two year erection?

What a di*k!

:cool:

Vertical Freedom
1st May 2012, 17:14
lucky bastard....which model was it ???? :ooh:

Whirlygig
1st May 2012, 22:04
Two year erection?
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ...:E

Cheers

Whirls

MartinCh
2nd May 2012, 02:04
http://verticalmag.com/news/article_files/956000978592783.jpg

Jessica Ward has received the Robinson Safety Course Scholarship offered by the Whirly-Girls.
More if you google Vertical Magazine and the stuff mentioned.
Just thought of it since the bike and chopper thread 'resurfaced'.. ;)
I love riding this baby.
(N9015V that is)

GoodGrief
16th Mar 2013, 15:24
Any fellow Rotorheads running around Lagos on a "power bike"?
My scoot is an XR650.

How about meeting up for a cruise?

SASless
17th Mar 2013, 02:20
My Davidson.......too new to be on first name basis just yet!;)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-HarleyDavidson-HeritageSoftailClassic-FLSTC-FLSTCI.jpg

parnaiocas
17th Mar 2013, 13:19
HD V-ROD 2004 Screamming Eagle Black

Sloppy Link
17th Mar 2013, 19:50
A 1957 Triton fitted with a Triumph T110 engine ina Norton Slimline Featherbed frame. Lucas competition magneto, twin leading shoe front bakes, twin 30mm amal concentrics, no electrics and a day only MOT. RH gear change, always confuses when I jump on my other steed, a BMW R1150RT. The ABS is cr*p, just had a second modulator go so have now de-ABS-ed the thing.

sybutts1
18th Mar 2013, 19:12
Iv had GSXR 600/750, Kawasaki 636 then a lovely Ducati 1098 Tricolour but sold it for an instructors rating.

longbox
17th Feb 2015, 11:48
only just seen this thread, GSXR 600 L3, great bike for getting tot he hangar!

Ainippe
17th Feb 2015, 12:19
I thought I would attache a photo of my bike but it appears I am not allowed to post attachements ........ anyone know why this could be?
I know I havent been a naughty boy:confused:

Ian Corrigible
17th Feb 2015, 12:55
Meanwhile at the Pentagon, someone just stumbled across an old betamax copy of Street Hawk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Hawk): DARPA developing stealth dirt bike (http://www.wired.com/2014/04/hybrid_bikes/)

I/C

CBR600F/Blade/R6/Gixxer/R1

belly tank
18th Feb 2015, 09:08
My Duke 1994 900s.

Owned it now 16 years with only 25000km. Its my Sunday bike these days!

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/classifieds/dealer/3193739/1740816958/740x555/3.jpg?mode=pad

Sloppy Link
18th Feb 2015, 18:29
Update:

Still have the Triton, bit like a Westland Lynx really.....use it for one hour, fix it for four and fill it with oil. Triumph T595 for a bit of a hoot and a BMW F650GS for practicality. As an aside, I also have an Oxford Allen power scythe for cutting the brush around the estate driven by a Villiers 4-stroke engine. Not for the faint hearted!

CO280fx
19th Feb 2015, 02:31
There seems to be an affinity between rotorheads and beemers. I am no exception. First bike was a 1978 Honda CB550K. Bought it for $500, rode it for two years with 0 maintenence issues, sold it for $500. Next I had a Yamaha FZ6 for a few years. Finally got the bike I REALLY wanted, BMW F800GS:

http://i.imgur.com/8JLbT31.jpg (http://imgur.com/8JLbT31)

http://i.imgur.com/ImPomku.jpg (http://imgur.com/ImPomku)

http://i.imgur.com/SnbEdma.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/SnbEdma)

http://i.imgur.com/WxSwREz.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/WxSwREz)

http://i.imgur.com/FLLa1ZH.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/FLLa1ZH)

http://i.imgur.com/FpiLUgx.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/FpiLUgx)

CO280fx
20th Feb 2015, 18:18
This one is sure to ruffle a few feathers: :E :ooh: :}

http://i.imgur.com/XBDdxhH.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/XBDdxhH)

John Eacott
27th Feb 2015, 11:00
Battlestar Galactica number 3 delivered today, two years to the day and 80,070km after number 2 was first put to work, and four years since the first one. How time flies when you're having fun!

Great bike, just the bee's knees as a tourer and a sports bike :cool:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10995455_860578010648223_5961391585872914845_n.jpg?oh=e7fd9a 9a4d9c01a4dcb8099bd77b60df&oe=554CD1F4&__gda__=1430988190_33a625aeed04429ef7f08a1aa1120b80

DonQuixote23
3rd Mar 2015, 01:08
I have been riding quite a lot and was racing bikes for years before I had to give it up to afford the flight training :). ZX6R, R1, 1098, GSXR1000, R6 and others...

Lightheaded
9th Mar 2015, 13:02
I drive a '01 Ducati Monster 620.

Vertical Freedom
9th Mar 2015, 23:47
Nice Beastie John ~ keep on rollin' on :ok:

John Eacott
10th Mar 2015, 06:20
VF,

Currently coffee time at Max's in Paddington; 3,000km in 10 days, $2.20 running in speed, now to find a fun way home :)

Bells Line of Road, Bathurst, all points south?

John R81
10th Mar 2015, 10:01
John - I have the GTLE version.

Awesome bike, particularly when you get over 4k and that V6 turbine howl kicks in.

John

froggy_pilot
22nd Mar 2015, 10:13
I am flying a brand new Agusta phase 7 AW139 (second ine should be delivered end of next month

https://instagram.com/p/0hpDc7G-6y/

https://instagram.com/p/0hpYK4m-7M/

and driving a 2011 Dyna Wild Glide

https://instagram.com/p/0hpgdim-7c/

https://instagram.com/p/0hprMnG-7q/

I am based in Cotonou, Republic of Benin, Africa

Wiggins61
25th Mar 2015, 17:38
I'd like to post a few bike pics but for the life of me I cannot figure out how. When I try it just gives me a URL option and no browse option. Any ideas?

Jet Ranger
25th Mar 2015, 19:18
@Wiggins61

Here...

PPRuNe Forums - FAQ: User Profile Features (http://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_albums)

JR:ok:

EN48
26th Mar 2015, 21:54
Latest addition to the stable: 2014 BMW HP4 Competition

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/sharkattack2347/41fbd543-7ed2-46d0-a088-a78cf0aa49ad_zpsn5hnmbtm.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/user/sharkattack2347/media/41fbd543-7ed2-46d0-a088-a78cf0aa49ad_zpsn5hnmbtm.jpg.html)

helimutt
27th Mar 2015, 12:14
Very nice EN48!!!! Very jealous! I nearly bought one of these but settled for a cheaper option. :ok:

John Eacott
20th Sep 2015, 10:35
OK, so what's the story: is this the latest diversification of SAR resources? Or just stopping by to pick up more fish'n'chip oil from the most likely source ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/10369873_304554219735424_2627937929469926597_n.jpg?oh=66ffda 2cca6b58c1dd7de5c0fce81d44&oe=56616B41&__gda__=1453386814_a0ba1315b1d2e786088a9a93d859f3ec

Self loading bear
20th Sep 2015, 17:26
Both engines have an appearance to originate from the sixties or even further back.
But the Sea King is from 1995 and the Enfield Robin diesel motorcycle production started 1993.
The definition of "Modern Classic" can be revised or should i class both as "retro look"?

I have a gutt feeling this Enfield will out live this Sea King in active duty.

SLB

Fareastdriver
20th Sep 2015, 18:11
the Sea King is from 1995

A bit older than that; from Wiki:

The XHSS-2 Sea King prototype flew on 11 March 1959

Self loading bear
20th Sep 2015, 19:55
Yes but not type HAR 3A ZH540
Enfields are also produced a lot earlier but not this type.

John Eacott
20th Sep 2015, 22:52
Both engines have an appearance to originate from the sixties or even further back.
But the Sea King is from 1995 and the Enfield Robin diesel motorcycle production started 1993

"Production" being the key, the Westland Sea King went into production in 1969 and RN service in 1970 ;)

But then it doesn't run on recycled fish and chips oil, either :ok:

Al-bert
21st Sep 2015, 07:46
My first motor bike was a Royal Enfield (Bullet) and last helicopter a Sea King (Mk3). Is there some connection here? :bored:

Geoffersincornwall
21st Sep 2015, 10:54
Someone just has to post a picture of this Italian masterpiece alongside an AW139 or AW189

G :ok:

Self loading bear
21st Sep 2015, 17:42
Geoff,

This is the closest I could get to your request
(Apologies for the thread drift)
http://www.classic-motorrad.de/bendix/MV-Museum-Web/HELI83.jpg

SLB

I think i found something more contemporary.
I hope these two will turn out to be Modern Classics in 2 decades from now
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/mv-agusta-bikes-exhibited-in-aviation-museum-23557_1.jpg

Geoffersincornwall
21st Sep 2015, 19:36
Brilliant - thread drift forgiven.

G, :ok:

Swiss Cheese
22nd Sep 2015, 09:45
Would love to share some pics of my 1968 Egli Vincent, but failed to find the album maker on the control panel! (help).

Animal Mother
13th Jun 2017, 14:14
Triumph 1050 Speed Triple.

About to sell it to fund the build of an overland expedition vehicle, or my PPL(H).

John Eacott
15th Jun 2017, 02:49
As an update, Battlestar Galactica is a few months overdue for replacement but BMW have a new option on the cards which will be worth waiting for with K1600GT number 4.

In the meantime, an R 1200GS Triple Black was acquired as a Christmas pressie and that now resides on the Gold Coast to save the two day ride back and forth: it has 14,000km already, just way too much fun!

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8122-2/IMG_8865.JPG

Jerry Grayson (http://www.pprune.org/members/96107-jerryg) sent a couple of trips down memory lane, when we ran a pair of Hondas in 1976/7 with all the latest safety equipment:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8116-2/Jerry+_amp_+John+Hondas.jpg

And then when Jerry hit the big time and splashed out on a BMW R 90 RS :cool:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8119-2/Jerry+_amp_+R90RS.jpg

Flying Binghi
6th Oct 2017, 21:05
As an update, Battlestar Galactica is a few months overdue for replacement but BMW have a new option on the cards which will be worth waiting for with K1600GT number 4....

What about a BMW Bagger...:)

CyclicRick
8th Oct 2017, 16:32
Just splashed out on a BMW R1200 RS, lovely bike. One cylinder is as big as all four on my last bike (CBF600)! Just clocked up a massive 175 miles on it......total :O
Poor thing got a bit dirty though so it's all washed and back in bed now:ok:

Jettiejock
10th Oct 2017, 15:25
2001 929RRY Fireblade and 2015 Triumph Bonneville Scrambler. Been riding motorbikes since I was 13 and that is over 40 years ago!

Ian Corrigible
11th Oct 2017, 18:41
The MTT 420 RR, a Rolls-Royce (Allison) M250-C20 powered superbike (and the latest evolution of the "Y2K," most famously owned by Jay Leno), on the show floor at this year's NBAA convention in Las Vegas:

https://i.imgur.com/WReDgHe.jpg

Marine Turbine Technologies (MTT) 420 RR (Race Ready) Turbine Superbike (http://marineturbine.com/motorcycles/)

I/C

Flying Binghi
12th Oct 2017, 01:04
The MTT 420 RR, a Rolls-Royce (Allison) M250-C20 powered superbike.....

Nice. Guaranteed for 250MPH, or your money back..:cool:

12th Oct 2017, 07:38
And 0 - 200 in 6 seconds!!! You'll need to strap yourself to the handlebars to cope with that acceleration!

John Eacott
12th Oct 2017, 10:41
K1600GT number four delivered last week, first 1,000km in two days, booked for a colour change next week. I prefer white, but the Munich Gods decided that only the GTL can be that colour for a few years!

Stunning speed shift, virtually clutchless for gear changes once on the move. Reverse is a WOFTAM, but I'd have had to wait until next March for Australian delivery without R for Reverse!

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8146-2/IMG_9801.JPG

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8149-2/IMG_9805.JPG

Meanwhile the farm bike plods along as the most amazing on and off road beast, especially with TKC80 front/TKC70 rear :cool:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8152-2/IMG_8747.JPG

John R81
12th Oct 2017, 14:02
I have the GTLE in White

Looks like your seat has gone mouldy, though!

Bell_ringer
12th Oct 2017, 17:11
I have the GTLE in White

Looks like your seat has gone mouldy, though!

Seems like an Aussie just isn't happy without a little sheepskin between the loins :E

Pat Cox
17th Oct 2017, 16:24
K1600GT number four delivered last week, first 1,000km in two days, booked for a colour change next week. I prefer white, but the Munich Gods decided that only the GTL can be that colour for a few years!

<snip>

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8146-2/IMG_9801.JPG

<snip>

That is lovely. How did the sound change with the Remus mufflers?