PDA

View Full Version : No fire service

raggus
25th Jan 2004, 07:06
I heard on the vine that a chieftain had an engine fail on approach to karratha last week. Apparently gave a pan call and requested F & R as a precaution, only to be told that there were no F & R services at the airport and the nearest was 30 minutes away, must have been a real comfort to the pilot. :uhoh: I heard also that karratha was international (Bali flights), doesn't that require full time F & R services ?

compressor stall
25th Jan 2004, 07:12
Karratha does not require a fire service for the Bali flights as those flights land in Broome and the BRM-KA sector is technically domestic (even though you cannot buy fares on that sector only). :confused:

Yes, Minister.

raggus
25th Jan 2004, 07:40
Thanks for clearing that up for me CS. Do you happen to know what caused the engine failure ?

compressor stall
25th Jan 2004, 08:14
Nope, no idea. Never even heard of the incident. Not really newsworthy anyway I'd say.

If you are a journo, why don't you call the company direct?

Spodman
26th Jan 2004, 13:48
I often used to wonder at Meekatharra what would happen if even the regular Jetstream had an oops. The only fire vehicle within 700km was an elderly 2wd tanker with an 8hp pump, 2000l of water (no foam) and octagenarian volunteer crew.

Even Essendon has no on-airport fire service, but why should you get a higher service than the local schoolbus?