View Full Version : Chinooks will battle of the Al Faw-unaided

hog07
24th Jan 2004, 17:32
As an observer, it would appear from publicatioins...aviation mags etc..that Chinooks won the battle of the AL FAW single handed. The award of sqn of the year seems to back this up, combined with the award of 2 DFC's for Chinook crews, as opposed to an MiD for the SeaKing formation lead. I wonder if there is any further awards, articles and :mad: due out that will reinforce the piont that the Chinooks did everything....including running out of fuel :D .

Pilgrim101
24th Jan 2004, 19:05
I'll have you know on good authority that aircraft fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable and oil is very scarce in these parts :p

Great job well done and all the Helicopter crews get my vote. I draw the line at buying them a drink though !

Training Risky
24th Jan 2004, 23:49
If the term 'running out of fuel' covers 1) the situation of all three US-run FARPS being shut-down when preflight planning indicates otherwise and 2) the crossfeed valve failed to motor properly causing a flameout.... then you might have a valid point!

snafu
25th Jan 2004, 17:52
The article in 'Defence Helicopter' certainly blew quite a few trumpets at Odiham and Benson, pity that none of the troops dropped off that night can recall which assault the article talks about - it just didn't seem to be the one they were involved in!

As far as the fuel goes, working out that you're going to be a bit tight for gas and then pushing on when your planned fuel stops aren't available just suggests a bit too much "press-on-itis"!

jockspice
26th Jan 2004, 01:23
Also in Defence Helicopter, there was a cracking article from the Merlins in Bosnia. The way it was written, it would seem that they had been the first to do what they did in that theatre.

I'm not bitter about the boys doing well, more that our and the AAC PR machines seem to suck big time, as we seem to be mentioned significantly less that our light blue brethren.

If I see once more that a fishing crew was rescued by a grey and red Sea King from RAF Culdrose I will bl00dy scream.:mad:

Twinact
26th Jan 2004, 01:39
Although I sense someone fishing here, (was he pissed "will battle") it is interesting that the overall mission lead got the MID while an element lead got a DFC for flying the same mission, in the same weather in the same 'dangerous' airspace.

Perhaps it says more about the chain of command and their ability to sex things up!

+SHRA
26th Jan 2004, 14:03
Only two of the FARPS were shut the third was open, but if you don't put it on the map then u are unlikely to remember it under pressure.

jockspice
27th Jan 2004, 04:20
They also forgot to mention in DH how 18(B) kept up the tradition of their suffix by toss-bombing the medic BV on that first night!
Would have been really funny if it hadn't been the only one the brigade had.:\

Tiger_mate
27th Jan 2004, 05:16
Is a wonderful thing.

Loads get `tossed` when to keep them would put the entire aircraft in danger. There is a particulary valuable load here in NI that would be a gutsy move to bin: But it would be on its way if the situation dictated. .....and in the past I have landed a serviceable aircraft at an LZ expecting fuel only to find that there hadnt been any for 18 months, but documents had not been updated. A F*^k up followed buts thats another story.

My understanding (for I was not there) is that there were numerous "changes of plan" leading up to that first night and a planned practise of techniques did not happen due to weather. There were a lot of taught skills being exercised for the first time in an operational theatre with the associated adrenaline that this would create. DONT FORGET THAT!

http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/thunb.gif

jockspice
28th Jan 2004, 03:21
Oh I never forget, especially when shooting fish in a barrel. :E

Twinact
28th Jan 2004, 04:14
So, Jockspice, what's your been contribution during active service? Got any? Or has it been restricted to shooting at fish.

Oggin Aviator
28th Jan 2004, 04:56
Twinact ....

So, Jockspice, what's your been contribution during active service?

at least the good thing about dyslexia is that you never have to say syror :ok:

snafu
28th Jan 2004, 05:04
Can anyone hear fishing line running?:ok:

Spade Adam
28th Jan 2004, 20:20
Well, Training Risky, I guess that's good enough reason not to hold a BOI, especially since the pax were only the GOC and the Editor of the Daily Telegraph. Did you read the latter's article? I wonder if he would have been so generous if he'd known the real reason for his double engine off in a Fat Albert.

Had he stopped at the (open) British FARP in Al Amarah he would have made it without shutting down an engine. Cat 3 was it?

Funny how Comd JHF insisted on a BOI for the Gazelle wire strike, which happened during a combat mission but didn't make a fuss over losing a CH-47 with VIPs on board during a milk-run.:yuk:

animo et fide
13th Feb 2004, 04:02
Seems to be alot of c**p posted here by people who had nothing to do with the night in question. Let's ask the queenies how many rounds they got on their targets, or was it just test firing of a really unreliable weapon system?

:yuk: