PDA

View Full Version : How to create a web page/Post photo's

BoeingBoy
24th Jan 2004, 04:50
Hi all,

I am finally facing that frontier of knowledge that many have faced but I have no way of knowing the best way forward.

The wife has decided that she wants to post pictures of the dogs on a forum similar to pprune. The forum uses VB code similar to ours and the method of including pictures is the same in that you enclose the link to the desired photo in an [IMG] box.

I have been trying to use some photo's uploaded to a Yahoo photo gallery enabled for public viewing but all I get is a hyperlink.

So my question is, do I have to create my own web page and place the photo's on that to include them as visible within a post? If so can anyone suggest a program that enables one to create a simple page and upload it whilst teaching me how to do it in words of not greater than three syllables.

Help appreciated.

BB
:(

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jan 2004, 05:15
BoeingBoy,

Yahoo does not allow you to directly link the photos. You are better off getting your own website and hosting the pictures there.

Otherwise your wife could make a Yahoo photo album and just link the album for people to go look at.

Take Care,

Richard

BoeingBoy
24th Jan 2004, 05:23
Thanks Richard,

You have answered as I suspected, trouble is I haven't the faintest idea on how to create and upload a web page.

I have Dreamweaver 4 and Fireworks 4 (on trial) along with a host of photo editing progs including photoshop 5.2 but have always shyed away from dabbling in web page design. (It's bad enough remembering the intricate bits of a 757 and a 767 never mind the fineries of html)

Can you recommend any programs that would allow me to create a simple page along with an idiots guide as to how to upload it.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Best Wishes,

Dave BB.

Golden Runways
24th Jan 2004, 05:28
If all you want to do is link to the images you don't need to create a web page. Who is your ISP? You can upload the images, in a similar way to how you got them on yahoo, and link directly to the images, using the [img] tag.

AOL allows linking, not sure about all the others.

goates
24th Jan 2004, 05:35
My brother had photo albums set up on an MSN Communities (I just checked, and it's MSN Groups now) site a couple of years ago. Something else that you might look at is a site like Photoworks (http://www.photoworks.com). You can upload the photos, create albums, share the albums and picture and get prints. There are probaby others around that do similar things. One of these would be far easier than setting up a webpage.

goates

BoeingBoy
24th Jan 2004, 17:09
Thanks for the replies.

I use BT openworld (UK), their web site shows a large section devoted to creating a web page, but with lessons on how to use HTML etc. They say you need an 'FTP' program to upload to them'??? ....what's that?

I have no objection to creating a simple page as it might come in handy one day, but I really don't know how to start. (Just seems like a large black hole in that area of learning).

It would be nice to know of some 'idiots guide' programs devoted to luddites like me.

I bought 'Web Design for Dummies' but was dissapointed to find that it was devoted more to designing a company than a web page, and most of it was hard going to say the least.

Thanks again anyway.

Golden Runways
24th Jan 2004, 18:16
Had a look at the bt info. The relevant bits are here:

BTopenworld subscribers can access their homepages using a "virtual domain name"

New subscribers can use the URL format:
hxxp://username.users.btopenworld.com

If you registered for a BTopenworld account before August 2001 you can still use either of the following URL formats
hxxp://www.btinternet.com/~username
hxxp://www.username.btinternet.co.uk

ie, say your wifes account is BoeingGirl, her possible address is: hxxp://BoeingGirl.users.btopenworld.com

to upload some pics you can follow their instructions: To upload your Homepage, you MUST be connected with a BTopenworld account.
If you connect using another ISP, your login will fail.

1. Start Internet Explorer
2. In the Address bar type:

ftp://username: [email protected]
(eg ftp://[email protected])
3. Click [Go]

After a short while (It can be up to a minute), you will be logged in.

4. Once you have logged in, the window behaves just like normal windows folder.
You can Drag & Drop or Copy & Paste files from your computer to the FTP window.

Does this make sense?!

now in theory(!) if you copy in dog.jpg then the url for this image would be: hxxp://BoeingGirl.users.btopenworld.com/dog.jpg

BoeingBoy
25th Jan 2004, 04:25
Hey, thanks GR, even for a 757/767 Captain that makes sense so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your time and trouble to research that for me, it's much appreciated.

BB:)

Golden Runways
25th Jan 2004, 05:19
I have much pprune goodwill to pay back! I hope it works.

On AOL if you are uploading to webspace, you have to be signed on to the correct account, ie to upload to ftp or http://members.aol.com/goldenrunways I would need to be signed in as GR.

If this works as it says it does, it is an interesting and quick method of FTP (file transfer protocol). If you want to know how to then make a simple web page, or how to link to the images uploaded please say. This is assuming you can link to BT webspace images, after all this!

On BA, 757/767 is a sound fleet, only wish it was a fleet that cabin crew could choose! It would be like the old midfleet.

BRL
25th Jan 2004, 05:23
Hi there BB. I am with btinternet and have free space with them. Every BT customer gets I think 50mgs free web-space to do what you wish.
First you need to get your web-space. Go to the btinternet home page and look for the excellent HELP bit to get you through. It is basically as above. For uploading, you will need to use something like CUTE Ftp. I think but am not too sure that BT only supports Cute and Smart FTP only. You need one of them for easy uploading, it is like a windows explorer interface, your computer stuff on your hard drive in the colum on the left and what is on your web-space on the right. Find your pictures in the left box and either double click them or click it and press the upload button, its a piece of cake.
Once you get into it, buy a domain name for about £7 and link that to your free bt page, thats pretty cool if you do that. For example, mine is http://www.evo.me.uk and if you click on that it will take you straight to my bt pages. Yours could be something like "boeingboy.com" or something similar. Good luck.

DubTrub
25th Jan 2004, 07:07
Boeing:

Most of the kind replies you have received have missed the fact that your wife wishes to post to "a similar forum to pprune".
Now Pprune does not allow posting attachments (for webspace and bandwidth issues which I can appreciate). But your wife's board may allow these. If so, you can download them directly from your hard drive (if the Administrator permits).

I am on several vb boards, some of which allow attachments, some of which don't. You can tell by looking at the "options" that mention IMG code, Smilies, and so on at the footer of posts (where these appear seems to vary according to the Admin's set-up, but they are there somewhere).

Good luck.

edit: here's what the options look like

Forum Rules:
You may post new topics
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

BoeingBoy
25th Jan 2004, 16:23
Thanks again for the replies.

The method that GR has listed works a treat, and after a little fiddling with the address we got the picture to appear on the other forum within the post.

After resizing the pictures we are now able to get them addressed and appear to our chosen size.

Thanks again for all your help.

Who know's what you may have started!!
BB:)