PDA

View Full Version : Unhelpful Advice

Send Clowns
24th Jan 2004, 02:11
A recent thread (now closed, so I cannot counter the points by posting there) shows a classic example of well-meaning, but unhelpful advice.

It contains some incorrect information, the old myth about "ab initio" training, a non-existent term presumably meaning integrated training, being significantly quicker than any other method. Much more seriously though, it then contains a suggestion that the person who originally came for advice should break the law! Not only that, but that he should defraud his employers, the civil service, i.e. us, honest tax payers. Importantly it is suggesting doing so on medical grounds, that could have all sorts of ramifications for future class 1 medical!

This site is incredibly useful for students and potential students of aviation. It is a great place to come for advice, and I wish I had known about it before I made my choice of school.

However, if the people advising don't really know enough they can give very poor advice, and it can be hard for the person asking for help to decide which advice is best - after all the reason they ask is that they do not, themselves, know! I and many others here (FFF, WWW, Scroggs to name a few) have sometimes had to correct posts that confidantly put forward erroneous information as self-evident truth. This can also lead to acrimonious discussion when people are corrected. IMHO it would be more sensible if people to post about things they know of, or when not very sure of their ground perhaps let it be known in the post to open up a discussion. I admit to posting where I am not certain, but I try to make it clear that it is just "the best of my knowledge" and to solicit other people's advice on the areas I am less sure of.

I don't want to discourage people from giving advice; as I say I consider this a wonderful resource. I just would like to suggest that some advice is misdirected, and a hint of the level of knowledge it is based on might help.

To take my own advice, my knowledge is based on having completed a JAA modular course, and worked for over 3 years in the flight training system, at modular commercial schools, PPL flight schools and self-employed.