PDA

View Full Version : So, where's the BA announcement? (Job cuts announced)

judge11
23rd Jan 2004, 23:45
It's Friday 23rd, it's almost 5 to 5 and its - no big BA announcement so far. Cancelled due to lack of interest? Any clues?

oh-oh
23rd Jan 2004, 23:57
Rumour has it the announcement has been delayed until the end of the month.
:rolleyes:

NigelOnDraft
24th Jan 2004, 00:30
28th.... Hopefully to get hidden by some other small report being published that day...

BEagle
24th Jan 2004, 01:03
Will the MoD decision on whether to go for new A330s or ex-ba B767s for the RAF's FSTA contract have any significant effect on ba's re-organisational plans?

The business world seems to think that an announcement on FSTA will be made on Mon 26th; perhaps Skippy and the waterworld mob have been waiting to assimilate the effect of this?

GMEDX
24th Jan 2004, 16:30
Yes, BMed are recruiting heavily, DE captains again too. Some who left are being 'phoned and asked if they want their old jobs back. Something is going on.

GTTIB
24th Jan 2004, 21:13
According to BA News, BA will announce it's annual business plan to staff on Wednesday 28th January.
Apparently, a letter from Rod Eddington to each employee will be distributed shortly after - sounds fairly serious. No firm details on the announcement have officially been released.

As for GB taking "western Europe" I think thats fairly unlikely - theres not much floating around the crew room at the moment...

Skylion
24th Jan 2004, 21:24
Beagle:

The failure of Boeing to get the tanker contract is a serious blow to BA. Its unlikely that there will be any other buyer at a reasonable price of their non standard RR powered 767 fleet. This deal would have been a huge windfall to BA and its loss is very bad news to them.

HZ123
24th Jan 2004, 23:27
Sadly BA's loss but the RAF and the Taxpayer's gain. The strange thing at present is that most 76s are fully utillised and if things continue to pick up there will surely still be work for the a/c in the future.

propaganda
25th Jan 2004, 03:55
BA throwing in the towel on LGW S/H sounds like a sensible business decision..I doubt GB would want to commit themselves to taking over loss making routes. Landed at LGW late evening last week 9 orange 737's parked on the s/terminal..makes you think the future's bright .:ok:

Waldo Pepper
25th Jan 2004, 05:26
I've heard talk that BA are pulling out of s/h at Gatwick since I was initially based there 8 years ago...I don't believe it's going to happen. I complained to a manager last week about the fact that the annual bid was now closing a mere two days after the so-called big announcement...It's not possible to bid from home and therefore a little inconvenient if you're not at a mainbase in the post announcement window.
I was told that the announcement was going to affect LHR and would not make any difference to anyone bidding for a s/h command at LGW.
He also said that it was all very confidential what the announcement was going to be, and no-one outside of the board knew the detail...which makes me wonder how he knows that LGW is safe...If you ask me, it's going to be about cabin crew pay and pension contributions...

WeLieInTheShadows
25th Jan 2004, 06:49
Yeah Yeah BA are gonna pull out of LGW, and I'm going to cut off one of my arms so I can save on gloves....

The oldest rumour in the book and probably the only one we the cabin crew do not believe!!!

Only because we would all get a relocation package as we would all be transferred to LHR or another base as part of our contracts, all very costly.

LGW is the BA safety valve. It expands when times are good, it contracts when times are bad. We'll still be here in some way or form in years to come, who knows what that will be.

All I know is that it's a fun friendly place to be, always has been, always will be. We work hard, we play hard.

gordonroxburgh
25th Jan 2004, 07:43
Sounds like BA burying bad news, as all the TV news media and the following days newspapers will be full with the outcome Hutton inquiry details

gordonzola
25th Jan 2004, 08:00
Reduction in check in staff, notice your sick a lot...goodbye,thats about it. Cityexpress untouched ,euro gat untouched.No big deal no loss!

Ian Corrigible
25th Jan 2004, 12:43
The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=484392) is already speculating about the announcement's contents.

I/C

TURIN
25th Jan 2004, 17:24
Only because we would all get a relocation package as we would all be transferred to LHR or another base as part of our contracts, all very costly.

Not necessarily. Other departments, Engineering for one, had portions of the relocation/redeployment agreement denied them. If you are relying on the company to automatically agree to the t&cs within, for example EG503, then think again.

I don't want to be the barer of bad news but it happened in the regions 2 years ago, LHR staff didn't want to know so there was no TU back up. :mad:

ecj
26th Jan 2004, 01:14
Everybody going to receiving a personnel letter ? per GTTIB

Sounds like radical surgery to me, and not a lot the Unions can do about it.

hostie
26th Jan 2004, 07:38
Is this another case of the press hearing before the staff
surely not again... :hmm:

link to sky news (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12979272,00.html)

ratarsedagain
26th Jan 2004, 18:07
The biggest surprise is that it wasn't the Daily Mail that leaked it!!!

Brown Starfish
26th Jan 2004, 18:37
They've timed the announcement with cynical precision ..... the papers will be full of top up fees from Tuesday and speculation about the Hutton enquiry. Someone in management at BA must be good at their job!

PAXboy
26th Jan 2004, 20:16
From the report in The Independent on Sunday it sounds as if they are aiming for Operational posts, not management posts. Statement that the last lot of cuts were aimed at HQ. From what I hear on PPRuNe, that ain't necessarily so ...

TURIN
27th Jan 2004, 01:33
BBC radio now reporting 3000 jobs to go. Support staff mainly.

Bluejay
27th Jan 2004, 03:11
We are always the last to know aren't we :mad:

Diverse
27th Jan 2004, 04:03
Ignore these reports in the papers. They are all theories, we shouldn't treat them as fact. The facts will turn up soon enough.

Man Flex
27th Jan 2004, 06:04
BA throwing in the towel on LGW S/H sounds like a sensible business decision..I doubt GB would want to commit themselves to taking over loss making routes.

But they are only loss making routes while BA operate them due to their ridiculous overheads! GB have and will again take "loss making" routes from BA mainline and make them profitable.

Silly!

In trim
27th Jan 2004, 13:03
Man Flex,

Totally agree. Just because they are "loss-making" to BA, doesn't mean they would be loss-making to another more focussed company with the right overheads......such as GB Airways or another franchise which used to be based next to GB but is now consigned to history.

:{

In trim

Kalium Chloride
27th Jan 2004, 19:02
Ignore these reports in the papers. They are all theories, we shouldn't treat them as fact.

Yes, we just make these numbers up...heaven forbid that we make the effort to pick up the phone to ring our inside contacts.

Spearing Britney
28th Jan 2004, 03:22
Nice to see some honesty KC!!!!

Still those baggage handlers will tell you anything for a fiver...

Why is it that when I read the papers any story on a subject that I know about (not many!) is generally at least partly wrong and often very wrong?

Anyway, we will see Wednesday...

Spearing Britney
28th Jan 2004, 17:44
In the words of Nelson Munz (Sp??) "Ha Ha!"

HOVIS
28th Jan 2004, 23:36
SP

Just think what they are writing about subjects of which you have little knowledge!:suspect: