PDA

View Full Version : Grouping 'contacts' in Outlook Express

Keygrip
23rd Jan 2004, 21:34
Windows XP Pro. Outlook Express.

I have a list of contacts in the address book - currently 155 addresses.

I'd like to group them into categories - same as the "folders" in the normal Windows operation. This an option??

timmcat
23rd Jan 2004, 21:51
Easy..

Address book - file - new folder (give it a name). Then just drag your contacts from the list in the right pane over to the new folder.

(make sure 'folders and groups' option ticked in the view menu first).

Job done!

Keygrip
25th Jan 2004, 09:25
Not so easy.

Don't know what I'm missing - but I seem to have no control over the "Contacts" pane - just the "folders" and the mails themselves.

FJJP
25th Jan 2004, 09:47
Keygrip, I'm not clear on what you're trying to achieve - perhaps you would clarify. If you want to group your contacts into separate folders just for storage and neatness, then what timmcat says works.

If you want to group contacts for sending mail to all of one particular group of people, and you do this routinely (say, an e-mail to ALL your family) then you can create a 'Group' with a name you chose. Go Address book, File, New Group, enter Group Name, Select Members, highlight the member you want to include, click Select and repeat for each address you want to include. Then press OK. The group title will appear in the left window of the address book. Then when you want to send the group an e-mail, you just double left click on the group and it will appear in the 'To:' window of the mail you're composing.

Keygrip
25th Jan 2004, 18:46
SORTED - actually, yes - it was easy.

I missed what you where saying with "Go Address Book" and took it to be just highlight somebody in the contacts pane.

Thanks timmcat and FJJP - another lesson learned.

What I wanted, FJJP, was to sort the bunch of CAA contacts into one folder, buddies into another, Ppruners into another etc. etc. - rather than scrolling down through them all to get to the right person.....as you say "just for storage and neatness".

Thanks again - sorted.

AerBabe
26th Jan 2004, 22:28
What happens if you've got a buddy who's a PPRuNer and works for the CAA? :confused:

FJJP
27th Jan 2004, 03:07
You copy his details into each folder - comprendi?