PDA

View Full Version : Midair between two Ansons in NSW, 1940

The Nr Fairy
23rd Jan 2004, 16:10
On the off chance some Ozzie would know, I've posted a piccie on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116433) in Nostalgia.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Dog One
23rd Jan 2004, 17:36
Fairy

I believe the accident happened near Wagga early in 1942. Both aircraft were on training flights in VFR conditions when they collided. The crew found that the flight controls still worked on the top aircraft, and the powerplants still functioned on the bottom aircraft. They were able to return the aircraft to the field and carry out some sort of a landing.

All crew escaped injury.

So much for the see and be seen strategy of NAS!

Specnut727
23rd Jan 2004, 21:03
I suggest you try www.adf-serials.com

There are about 4 midairs listed involving Ansons, including the one mentioned by Dog One.

Happy hunting.

Dog One
24th Jan 2004, 17:38
The semi official story.

Ansons L9162 and N4876 collided and stuck together near Brocklesbury on 29 September 1940. The crew of the bottom aircraft (L9162 - LAC Jack Hewson and LAC Hugh Fraser) and the observer from the top aircraft (N4876 - LAC Ian Sinclair) bailed out. The pilot of the N4876, LAC Leonard Fuller, managed to fly the aircraft and belly land it safely in a paddock belonging to Mr T Murphy, approximately 7 miles South of Brocklesbury. L9162 was written off, but N4876 continued to fly after repairs. Fuller went on to fly with the RAAF in Europe and won the DFM. Unfortunately he was killed at East Sale in 1944 when he was hit by a bus while riding a bike.