PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Cronyism........Anyone at all?

Willie Nelson
23rd Jan 2004, 15:12
I was speaking to a prospective employer recently and discussing my long term career objectives in relation to moving on to the airlines. When I mentioned that I did indeed have an application in with DJ however I did not expect that to go too far as I did not know anyone, I was laughed at and it was stated that needing to know someone was just a rumour.

my question is this:

Does anyone, ANYBODY AT ALL know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY of a pilot that has been accepted into DJ in the last 12 months (from the 23/1/03) that did not have a recommendation from a serving employee. This includes ex AN etc.

This is not a dig at virgin blue, indeed if I did not want to work for DJ I would not be asking the question. I would just like to find out precicely where I stand before the burgeoning of DJ ceases and the young new entrants settle in for their 30 odd years of flying.

Anyone at all..........................?

Metro Boy
23rd Jan 2004, 16:28
They've done away with the recommendations and it is all on merit now. They aren't very good to work for though.

The Stooge
24th Jan 2004, 06:34
If this is any help to you mate I got the sh1ts with it all the other day and thought ****** it and rang Brian Carney. Very nice man gave me a lot of his time but said in the very near future a email is going to be sent to every applicant stating that they are going to delete all applications and we all have to reapply. I bought up the topic of recomendations and put if forward to him that I would preferr to get a job on my own merrits and not by who I know. I do know a couple of captains there but I am not just going to ring them up asking for a job. But in the end he strongly hinted towards a recomendation. At the end of the day no matter what industry you are applying for there is always going to be the lucky ones and not so lucky ones. It just goes against the saying" The harder I work the luckier I get".

TurbineDreamer
24th Jan 2004, 07:52
Hi Metro Boy

Can you elaborate on your response and let us know why they are not a good company to work for.

Cheers

Metro Boy
25th Jan 2004, 10:08
Morale isn't the best, they cancelled their own ETOPS approval which was disappointing, come to work on a day off to help them out and you get a carton of beer for your efforts, management trying to over ride captains operational decisions (boarding an aircraft without the captains permission), the "holiday" island they bought for a staff retreat was great publicity for them but they can't build on it as it is on a flood plain or something. Don't get me wrong, I'm lucky that I have a jet job but a couple of mates at Qantas compare notes with me and it's kind of like chalk and cheese. If I had a choice I would take Qantas, seems to be much more professional from what I hear.

Ralph the Bong
25th Jan 2004, 10:31
Let's put it this way, there is a Pilot Recommendation form that is used by Virgin Blue pilots to bolster the chances of employment for wood bees. Everybody that I know who has been employed by VB has had a contact at high level. The exception to this was the employment of some pre '89 instant Captains who are on the "List", but are not too "dirty". The rumour is that these guys were employed so as to circumvent a potential lawsuit on the basis of discrimination from the "returnees" during the "you-know-what".. I know heaps of young, enthusiastic, good looking, hghly motivated guys with thousands of hours on jets, training backgrounds, tertiary qualifications etc who have not even been granted an interview. Roll on the merit system..

Buster Hyman
25th Jan 2004, 17:03
Quite clearly, on the AN application forms of the early '80's, there was a question about who you knew, or if you had family members working for the company. In these days of PC, that just cannot openely happen. I didn't think it was all that bad, because generally, the company was building family loyalty & were getting staff that were fully aware of the uniqueness of working for an airline.

Conversely, they didn't always get the right person (Don't I know it!) & there was always a chance of not getting the best person for the job.

But I wouldn't be too hard on DJ, no industry is immune from this & after AN's collapse, I know it first hand!:(

Capt Claret
26th Jan 2004, 07:07
Imagine that your the hirer & firer and you've interviewed hundreds of folk for relatively few positions. Your brain is mush trying to remember which person impressed, which didn't.

Now, would you make the decision only on what you saw at interview, or would you ask around within the company, to see if any employees you already have and respect, would be prepared to recommend some of the applicants?

I think calling this cronyism is to deny reality.

Willie Nelson
27th Jan 2004, 09:33
Thanks for the responses.............................................:(

I think I am going to go and kick the cat.

Wille