PDA

View Full Version : A few study Q's for Commercial.....

mjbow2
23rd Jan 2004, 11:51
Q1....Fueling of A/C whith seating capacity of six with pax on or off?

Q2....VFR alternated requirements....what the heck is an 'octa(s)'.
need an alternate if a) vis IS at 8km OR
b) need an alternate if 6 ?octas af stratus AT 1500ft OR
c) 10% chance of vis 4km

Q3....what the heck is a 'standard rate climb' given in the context of a clearnace I guess?

I found where the regs etc give the answers but i must be missing something in these......anyone else doing AFT's distance stuff....

thanks

MJB

Torres
23rd Jan 2004, 12:57
You're sitting CPL - you jest you don't know "okta"? :hmm:

"For the total cloud amount, codes 0 to 8 show the fraction, in oktas, of the celestial dome covered by all clouds. An octa is one eighth of the celestial dome, so we estimate how many eighths of the celestial dome are covered up by clouds."

VH-ABC
23rd Jan 2004, 13:13
Fair enough the term oktas is on the way out as a regularly heard term... what with bkn, few, etc... taking basically the same meaning without mentioning the fractions involved, but come on... I think you're struggling mate.

swh
23rd Jan 2004, 13:17
Get yourself a copy of the CASA visual flight guide.

1) see CAO 20.9 for less than 20 seats option "PASSENGERS ONBOARD DURING REFUELLING"

2) alternate minima for VFR is 8km, 1500 ft, if you have a cloud base below of 4/8 below or vis less than this, of a forcaste endorsed with a % prop of reduced vis, or x-wind greater than what the aircraft can handle, olny req if going more than 50 nm from point of dep.

3) change of levels in controlled airspace, for climb/descent this means not less than 500 fpm, and the last 1000 ft must be made at 500 fpm. ENR 1.7 para 4.1.6

mjbow2
24th Jan 2004, 06:33
thanks guys....

yes will sit the CPL law, then ATPL law then IRX...

Actually no jest Torres.....there a many more terms that I am struggling with also. I wont bore you with them at the mo'. I have a foreign ATPL which I am converting so please bare with me, I have NEVER seen sky cover in a weather report stated in anything other than Sct, few, Bkn, Ovc etc.

Thanks SHW.....have been going nuts for two days looking for the standard rate climb. CAO 20.9 seems to be clear and all about pax baording while fuelling.....I just seem to be getting the practice questions wrong on this one.....there is something I seem to miss perhaps.

Again thanks for taking the time...

MJB