PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence

Jonasraf
19th Jan 2003, 13:49
Hello everybody,

I was just thinking if anybody knew what books you need to study for the CPL (H) in USA?

I am planning to go there in April and I would like to start looking into them.

Thank you.
Jonas

moosp
20th Jan 2003, 00:22
This years FAR/AIM for starters. It comes on a CD rom for easy mailing.

Try the ASA people on www.asa2fly.com - you see their books around most flight schools. I used the Private Pilot Test Prep and I guess they have one for CPL. Its for all flying machines but they have picked out the (H) questions for you.

FAA Flight Standards do the definitive "Rotorcraft Flying Handbook" which puts rotary into American vocabulary. You can buy it in most flight shops. (FAA-H-8083-21 is their book code.) Although it starts at PPL level it contains most of what you'll need at CPL and especially if you go to FI level.

My 2 cents.

ATPMBA
20th Jan 2003, 14:56
I recommend “Principles of Helicopter Flight” by W.J. Wagtendonk and “The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters” by Shawn Coyle along with the other books listed in the prior posts. Also, pick up the FAA’s Aviation Weather book.

ASA has books and CD’s for the written. I have used the CD’s and it’s good to use them to get the exam out of the way but all you will know is the correct answer to the question without knowing why.

What Flight School are you going to ? Send a message.

Rotorbike
14th Feb 2003, 04:32
FAR Part 61 Sec 61.153 (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/9B506595E113E14E86256959004C0C0C?OpenDocument)

That should help you out

:D

Old Man Rotor
14th Feb 2003, 06:48
Its very straight forward...............

Approach a Flight School.....have them send you the Theory Books........study them on the Jet on the way to the US.......do the Cyber Exams at the Airport........[Remember the Questions and Answers are supplied in the books]....do a Basic Handling Test with the IFR Component [can be done on a VFR R22....], VOR/NDB/ILS and then a face to face verbal with the Examiner..........FAA ATPL.

If you wish me to send the name of the school and Examiner that I would reccomend....drop me a private message.

simon_says
14th Feb 2003, 11:00
That sounds a bit easier than it actually is old man, I was under the impression there is a minimum mandatory training requirement followed by the flight test. The Oral can vary depending on how keen the examiner is and how much time is available. Flungdung, this can be achieved in the UK as well and inexpensively if you are current on the R22, the advice I would offer is square away the computer exam but gen up on the oral, learn US airspace for instance.

Old Man Rotor
14th Feb 2003, 12:43
Having worked under the FAA system for years...it really is as simple as I stated..............

[I do hold and exercise all but FAA Examiner Status]

However the conversion I am talking about is a current ATPL with IR [oversea's].....to an FAA ATPL...............

Depending on the attitude of the Examiner, you don't even have to be a "Command" [Endorsed on type] pilot on the Test...............however most Examiners won't accept the responsibility of being the "Commander" in case the aircraft is damaged......but there are some.

I do agree that the Attitude of the Examiner will be a significant influence on the outcome.........The discussion that the Examiner has is normally related to aircraft / practical subjects......remember you have already passed the theory aspects.......

The USA FAA System may sound simple and easy........but it is a very practicable and common sense viewpoint in ensuring the best output with the minimmum of Red Tape.........

Buitenzorg
14th Feb 2003, 20:28
Also check out the FAQ's on Airman Certification on the FAA website www.faa.gov. Official answers to questions from the field, loads of good gen. I'm useless with computers so regretably can't post a direct link.

gulliBell
27th Feb 2003, 13:21
Why do you want an FAA ATPL (or as our American allies say ATP-RH certificate)? Let me guess, ARAMCO is hiring again in Saudi Arabia?? Don't forget to pack your gas mask, the war is about to start!!

pil
16th Jul 2003, 07:40
Peeps,

I have recently been scratching an old itch and doing some nosing around into the world of heli's and kept seeing training schools banding the phrase "commercial add on" about. Further digging and this appears to be a course that gives you an FAA CPL(H) with only a shade over 50 hrs in helicopters if you already hold an FAA CPL(A).
Now, as I have precisely 0 hrs heli time ( but a cpl fixed wing ) and will never claim to be an expert in such matters, but isn't this a little low on the experience side to be dishing out CPL's ? or have I totally got the wrong end of the side and talking out of my derrierre?

I'm curious to know what the above course actually entails as it blows away the misconception that I can never train to be a heli commercial pilot as the costs involved are prohibative.

I guess this subject has been done before, but accept my apologese as the search function on our dear old pprune appears to be u/s.

Thanks.

vaqueroaero
16th Jul 2003, 12:25
You are correct when you state that it is a little on the low time.

It is also practically impossible to do it in 50 hours. The 50 hours has to consist of at least 35 hours PIC. Now you can't log PIC time until you are either (1) a private pilot or (2) flying solo. This essentially means that in 15 hours you would have to master hovering, autorotations and everything else. Quite why the 50 hours is given is beyond me.
What we normally do is to recommend folks to get the private add on first and then do the commercial add on after. Once you are a private pilot everything can be logged as PIC. Normally we see most folks doing it in around 70 - 80 hours. Still a little low to be doing commercial work!

Hope that helps a bit.

B Sousa
16th Jul 2003, 12:28
Its the Cheapest way to get a Helicopter rating, by far. It will get you the ticket. But you wont be marketable for some time. Anyway if your a F/W driver you dont need the cut in pay.
Call one of the flight schools or surf places like www.heli.com . They do the work and can give you the straight scoop. Just remember they make less money off of an add-on, so watch out for any of these schools that give you the "Package Deals".
Good Luck

Squawk7777
16th Jul 2003, 13:48
As far as I understand it, you'll end up as a VFR CPL(H). What are the requirements to get a heli instrument rating add-on?

George Semel
17th Jul 2003, 02:31
You take an Instrument written test, the add-on is 15 questions, you then get around 6 hours of Instrument instruction in Helicopters and you take a check ride. When I did it, I was not current instruments and got both the Instrument and Instrument Instructor done in around 12 hours including a couple of hours for a flight check with the FAA. Its just some differences. Not much and the FAA dose not make a big issue of it. The CFI add-on writtens were 20 questions.

Camp Freddie
12th Aug 2003, 16:38
hey,

I got a JAR ATP(H) + IR , but I want to get a FAA CPL(H) so i can do some charters on an N reg in the UK.

I have heard that you can do the computer knowledge test in the UK, and buy a CD to learn the questions and also that the FAA medical can be done over here, also I was told you can do the flight tests at coventry and I am not sure if I need additional training, as i am still flying the R22 reguarly.

anyone know wo I need to contact and the costs involved for

1) flight tests and additional training
2)licence issue
3)medical
4)grounschool material and tests
5)other hidden extras

also I am presuming that by basic premise is correct, i.e to do a charter on an N reg, that I do need this.

any info on this gratefully recieved

CaptainEagle
12th Aug 2003, 17:51
Hey,
Get the software from Jeppesen, you cannot fail the knowledge test if you do the course. I think its called "Commercial Pilot" and it has both courses of study (fixed wing and heli). It's about $250.

I don't know where in the UK you can do the computer test but you can certainly do it in Cork in Ireland with South Aer (www.southaer.com) the guys name there is Scott.

If you already have the JAA stuff the FAA will allow you away with just a flight test to convert the licence, I don't think piggy back licences are allowed anymore after September 11th. The flight test costs about $250 I think too. A guy called Adam House is an FAA examiner in the UK, I don't have his number but if you want post back here and I'll get it for you.

That's all I know buddy! :ok:

CaptainEagle
12th Aug 2003, 18:06
That's alright man I neglected to say about the medicals and that, the guy doing my test says technically you will be doing a ppl and cpl at the same time, but usually they wont ask you to do all the ppl stuff if you already have JAA licence. Then you send all the paperwork away together.

old heliman
12th Aug 2003, 22:38
Camp Freddie,

good luck in getting your FAA commercial but I don't know how you plan to do 'charters' in the UK with an N Reg a/c. It ain't legal unless the Dept for Transport grant a Permission......... that goes for both public transport and aerial work. For more info suggest you have a look at the ANO (Art 115 and 113)

Camp Freddie
13th Aug 2003, 03:54
Mr Eagle,

yes please can I have Adam Houses number.

Mr Heliman,

thanks for that, that was exactly what I wanted to hear, the AOC holder that has an N reg, was telling me I can do, so I will do more research and read the ANO as advised as they are obviously confused as well.

do other peeps agree that it is not possible?

also thanks for the responses guys, just what I wanted

Lightning_Boy
17th Jan 2004, 06:38
Hi Guy's,
I've just joined this forum today, got the site address from a friend of a friend. Just after a bit of advise really.

I've been looking into doing my PPL(H) for some time and started taking lessons about 2 months ago (really got the bug) but in 2 months I've only done 3 hours air time mainly due to typical weather and the instructor is sort of part time.
I've been looking into going to california and doing the PPL(H) training in a six week course. I know this will give me a FAA licence and not a JAA/CAA licence but can it be converted when I get back home???
The other thing is work. I would love to get into the industry and fly for a living but having read all your lots comments, it seems a bit of a tough task. Seems even once you have got your CPL(H) no-one will touch you until you've got 1000+ under your belt, but how do you get thoughs hours in the first place if no-one will employ you???
So what about the FAA training. Its only gonna cost £5'000 for PPL(H) and £16'000 for both PPL and CPL (I say only but its a lot less than back here in Britain). I know you've probibly had a million new hopefuls ask this question but it seems like a mine field out there, any comments guy's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
Lightning Boy

Flying Felix
18th Jan 2004, 00:28
I would strongly recommend that you find a school that teaches FAA and CAA (JAA) courses. Why? Because you will spend the same amount of money converting your licence, as it cost to obtain it in the first place.
If you can end up with a stand alone FAA and JAA licences. This will mean taking two sets of medicals each time but it will give you a great amount of flexibility in your flying in Europe and the States. The school should run the courses concurrently with no real increase in cost but you may be required to sit 2 General Handling Tests (If the examiner is not dual certified).
To return to the UK with just a FAA PPL licence would be a bad move.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions just ask.

ryuzu
18th Jan 2004, 05:41
Assuming the UK is out, there are 3 options that spring to mind :-

1) Go to another JAA Member state where the exhange rate and/or built in costs are a bit cheaper.

2) Get a JAA license in the US - as far as I'm aware only one school is able to provide the full JAA course and that is Helicopter Adventures in Florida (www.heli.com)

3) Get a regular FAA PPL and do the conversion in a JAA country other than the UK (Norway for example).

As for work. Well you're right; getting a job with just a CPL is a very long shot.

The accepted path is to get PPL(H), CPL(H), CFI(H) and instruct for hours (possibly adding an IR and CFI/I to that).

However in that case your numbers are light. FAA ratings up to CFI(I) in the US for this are going to be more like 30000UKP. For equivalent JAA ratings done in the US, it'll be more like 35000UKP.

Finally factor in living costs while doing this (will probably take a little under a year) and then a low salary while instructing (since your pay is largely the hours you're getting).

I'm guessing it'll take around 5 years to get into a reasonable job where I can live a 'normal income' life again (I've only just started the process myself). In the meantime I have to watch the pennies v. carefully.

Cheers,

r.

Head Bolt
19th Jan 2004, 16:51
Lightning Boy

There is no problem with converting an FAA PPL to a JAR PPL, but there are some requirements that must be met for license issue.

You must have at least a JAR class 2 medical, you must pass the current PPL air law exam, and the PPL skills test.

How much training you ay require to do this will be a matter to be assessed by your instructor, as there are differences between the 2 syllabi.

In general though provided you have been taught thoroughly for your FAA license, and do sufficient dual to become familiar with UK airspace and procedures, you will not have a problem.

Lightning_Boy
19th Jan 2004, 20:32
:ok: Thanks for all the help guys, most appreciated. I can see its gonna be a long twisting road, hope its gonna be worth it when I get there.

Many Thanks
Lightning Boy :O

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jan 2004, 21:30
Alternatively, if you have a JAA PPL (which you can do in the US) then you can go through a short paper trail and FAA will issue you with an FAA PPL which (I quote from mine in front of me) is..

"Issued on basis of and valid only when accompanied by United Kingdom Pilot License Number...

All limitations and restrictions on the United Kingdom pilot license apply".

This is obviously only for private use, but nonetheless is probably the easiest way to have both PPLs.

Okay, I'm a plank pilot with just an engineering interest in rotaries, but so far as I'm aware there is no difference in this between FW and rotary.

G

chopperpilot47
20th Jan 2004, 06:50
I tried to resist saying that some of the replies are way out in price but here goes. My interest is I am the owner of Dutch Country Helicopters in Pennsylvania. At the moment, from scratch if you have no flying time at all, fixed wing or rotary a private will cost 40 hours x $200 or £4395. A 150 hour commercial is £16,393. If you have 100 hours fixed wing it is 50 hours only or £5464 at todays exchange rate.

If you are really serious about wanting to fly for a living some schools will employ you as a CFI if you train from scratch with them. I have certainly employed ex-students. You will probably get at least 1000 hours in 2 years.

A JAR compliant licence is of more use than either a standalone FAA or JAA licence. It will enable you to fly anywhere in the world without conversion.
I'm afraid that anyone telling you that the USA is not cheaper is dreaming. We charge £109 per flying hour for a Bell 47. Anyone in the UK beat that? No landing fees, fly 24 hours a day, no 500 foot rule. Paradise!

ryuzu
20th Jan 2004, 07:40
Since I was the only one to quote figures, I guess your comment about costs being off was directed at mine.

The difference is, the costs I quoted are for ab intitio to CFI/I that still runs to around $40000 if you do it in minimums.

Guess at more like $45000 for average and as high as $60000 if you pick it up slow. I heard of one person taking $25000 just to get their private because the school they were at wasn't too good.

A commercial license appears to be pretty much next to useless by itself so you may as well just stop at PPL.

Other thing is, everyone will quote the minimums to the various qualifications, but the average round here is more like 50 hours to PPL.

r.

LongLine
31st Jan 2004, 11:34
Does anyone know about going to the states with a Australian CPL(H) and a few thopusand hours and doing a ATPL(H)?
the best place to go to do it?
How much does it cost?
What you have to do and is it easy to transfer it back into a Australian ATPL(H)?

Granny
31st Jan 2004, 13:03
Longline
You will first need to get an FAA CPL issued, but first you need a clearance from FAA and imigration I think, before entering the country for flight training.
Then go to the States roll up to the FAA ,they will issue a PPL H based on your CASA CPL, then sit your CPL exam and flight test and get your FAA CPL.
Then under go IFR training, do some in a fixed Wing Dual dont worry about not having a FW licence , they accept this, then sit your 1 ATP exam and flight test.
Your best bet is contact Ron Gudstafson at Avia flight Services in Corvallis Oregon , He has done dozens of Australian and NZ conversions to FAA, he is a good bloke and he will not misled you. he runs a good outfit and I am sure you will enjoy the experience.
Conversion to CASA I am not sure about but under the Kiwi system you must have gained 500 hrs on the ATPL before they will reconize it, but then again they are the NZ CAA
"C***ts Against Aviation"

Fatigue
31st Jan 2004, 21:40
Hey Loneline,

I went to the States with a CAA (UK) CPL/IR and because I already had the hours to Qualify for the FAA ATP, I just did the instrument flying training and took the ATP checkride( which is almost identical to the instrument checkride) took the written and got my ATP without doing the commercial first, saved a whole bunch of time and money. I'm 99% sure that if you already have the hours to qualify (can't remember how many it is and my FAR/AIM has gone missing)!!! than you should be able to do this.
Just get your FAA private licence issued and start training on that.
I went to helicopter adventures in Titusville Florida and found them to be very professional.
All the best ,
Fatigue.:ok:

B Sousa
31st Jan 2004, 23:23
Transfering it back to Australian? Sounds like your trying to skirt something down under. Before you go to all that expense you had better check with those in the know down there or you may end up with an FAA ATP you cannot use.
If possible then the questions have been answered and the FAA exams are pretty straight Forward. A little study and a written with a BIG checkride and your in business.

gulliBell
2nd Feb 2004, 07:01
An important aspect is how many night flight hours do you have? Australian pilots with 100+ night hours are few and far between (unless you fly twins), and you need 100 night hours to get an FAA ATPL rotorcraft certificate. So unless you have a 100 night hours forget about the FAA ATP certificate. And in any event, even if you have the FAA ATP you still need the required minimum hours (TT & PIC) for the CASA ATPL-H licence.

Nipper
4th Feb 2004, 06:16
Longline

Check your PM's:O

Aussie Mate
4th Feb 2004, 06:55
You trying to get something for nothing??

The FAA ATPL with Exams is the easiest licence in the world to get, and being able to do the IFR component in a VFR R22 was a no brainer.
I have heard of guys just studying the books and answers on the 14 hr flight from YSSY to LAX and getting 100% on the exam....I had to have an extra nights study in a hotel and only got a 98%.

But Mate once you have that ATPL it is not worth a pinch of nanny goat stuff back in OZ.

If your thinking about being a professional Australian Helicopter Pilot, there is only one way to do that....study study and study, then feel good after you pass. Then do your IFR Traini ng in a proper aircraft in cloud.

Rant Over.

Fatigue
4th Feb 2004, 08:07
Hey Aussie Mate,
have to agree with ya about the FAA ATP exams (ground and flight).....it is just like the Ameican high school system, if you fail an exam you can take the same one again, and again, and again, and again and when you finally pass you're are told how good you have done.......instead of the truth that you are as thick as sh*t!!!!!!!! It's the american way of doing things:eek:

Red Wine
4th Feb 2004, 11:11
Duck or Run.............Incoming.:D

Helipolarbear
4th Feb 2004, 16:27
The American way of doing things............................if thats how you feel, you better leave 50% of the worlds heli's parked on the ground! They were built with American ingenuity. Then, ya better ground half the Hawk pilots at Wogga Wogga. They were trained by American's! Then you better.........screw it .....FU!:mad:

Red Wine
4th Feb 2004, 21:15
Geeee...Wagga Wagga is with "a's" not "o's"......and there's no Hawks down there either.

Trained by the Poms I think, and based at Willytown, not to far away at Mach 1.......!!

Unfortunately, the EC now has over 50% of both rotary and the big jet market. Not looking forward to Europe as much as I did Florida and Texas.

Fatigue
4th Feb 2004, 23:17
" THEY WERE BUILT WITH AMERICAN INGENUITY'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now where was Mr Sikorsky from again???????????????????? :p

Garfs
29th Jan 2006, 20:17
I have a question

If my aim was to work in the UK and keep training costs down:-

-Wouldnt it be better to do a FAA PPL(H), hour build in the USA, and come back and complete a 30 hour modular course in England rather than

-Pay for your FAA CPL(H) in USA, then come back and convert it, as this way, you have to pay for the CPL exams in the USA and then the UK too.

Which option do you think is better?

Thanks

rudestuff
29th Jan 2006, 22:01
Your best bet is to get an FAA PPL and hour build in the states - its way cheaper than the UK.
People keep talking about 'converting' licenses - totally unneccesary with a PPL. You can fly in the UK on G or N reg with an FAA PPL. Once you've got it, you'll need to do a flight review with a CFI every 24 months to keep using it - way easier I believe, than a JAR license - plus it's not type specific - if you take your PPL checkride in an R22 you can fly anything under 12,500lbs.
As i understand it, under JAR you have to take a seperate test in each type you want to fly (anybody?)
Of course, when you come back and rent you'll need to show an FI that you can navigate using those rediculously complicated CAA charts, but other than that you should be good to go.
Persononally, I'd also get FAA commercial - when you come back you can convert it, which means you don't have to do the full groundschool (i think 400 hrs ish at cpl level) and you wont have to do the 30hrs flying either - just take all the tests.
Or just move to the US permanently and skip all the bulls**t

up and go
30th Jan 2006, 09:29
One thing to remember, is If you want the FAA to recognise your CPL you will need to register with TSA at their Alien flight student Program Website https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov ..... which includes having your fingerprints verified by an approved organisation. This can take up to 90 days, so its best to get things rolling before you leave.
The other option is to start from ppl level, still using your exsisting hours, should take about 10 hours to cpl level...( Min 3 hours Ppl instr, and Min 3 hrs CPL Instr + 1.5 flight test x2) . If you already have time on type and all the prerequisites its a way to get around the 90 day wait.

As for study material. Dauntless software, available online at http://www.dauntless-soft.com is the very best, for around USD$40.00 you get every thing you need including tutorials, also practice tests and sign off for pink slips prior to sitting exams. Laid out in the same format as the exams
hope this helps

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Jan 2006, 09:51
I was very happy with the ASA software - the software auto updates the question bank for you online. Only $50 per exam class section.

http://www.asa2fly.com/product1.asp?SID=1&Product_ID=669&

Garfs
30th Jan 2006, 14:16
Thanks.

Would love to move to the USA but unfortunately work visas and stuff pose a problem :)

So if I have an FAA CPL all I need to do is take the exams to convert it back in the UK? Sounds great.

Garfs
30th Jan 2006, 16:07
Garfs:
is not a "coversion" process.
you have to sit the 14 ATPL exams (total cost about 2,500 pounds) and then do enough training to get to the standard to sit the JAA CPL(H) flight test.
all having a FAA CPL(H) means is that you do not have to sit a full 30 hour JAA CPL(H) flying course

Thanks for clarifying that

Jordan3054
31st Jan 2006, 20:58
So wouldnt it be better to just come back to the UK and do a modular once u have enough hours if converting an FAA license involves that much?

Anyone done either and which option do you think is better?i.e. both FAA and JAA or just JAA CPL(H)

pa42
3rd Feb 2008, 12:07
FAR 61.129 says one of the pre-requisites for a Commercial Certificate is a Private Pilot Certificate--but it doesn't say it has to be in the same category, so it's been assumed in some circles that a Private Pilot Airplane certificate satisfied the requirement when taking the Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft-Helicopter test.

Now, it appears, the Practical Test Standards for Commercial Helicopter have been revised (or maybe it's been there for a long time and it just FEELS new) so that it is very clearly stated that the applicant must hold a Private Pilot Rotorcraft Certificate.

A change? Or has the intent been, all along, that demonstration of the Private rotorcraft skills is necessarily done, along with receipt of the Private Certificate, and then almost immediately re-performed for the Commercial? Is there an evolutionary progression in the implementation that one might track by having old copies of the PTS? Is there a web site that deals with these subtleties and their development, or with historical archives of older versions of the PTS and the regs?

Sorry if this is an old topic--just don't know quite what search terms to put in to find the answers!

GOOKJR
5th Feb 2008, 16:54
I'm ex-military(non-USA) heli's, 1000 hrs on helicopters, 1300 instruction on PC7/9's and 2700 total.
I've been trying to find a good flying school that can take me through PPL to ATP IR in about 3 weeks, something I consider very plausible.
However, all the friendly ladies working in the student registry departments can't seem to fathom the concept of current experience on reduction of actual flying time and have all been suggesting 10 hr PPL's for starters!!!!
Any suggestions of more practical schools would be very welcome.
Does anyone know if all the knowledge tests can be written in advance, or if you have to follow the hoops.
Does Dauntless downloads count for 'suitable' groundschool to write the FAA knowledge tests?

The above post naming 10 hrs to CPL sounds like my kinda thing, but where do I find such enlightened people?

Fly_For_Fun
6th Feb 2008, 00:03
Chopperpilot47

Not sure about the "JAR license needs no conversion" thing.

Does that mean with my JAR CPL(H) AND 5000 hours, I can go to the USA and and fly commercially with no conversion to a National License ? Or have I missed the target ?

ThomasTheTankEngine
13th May 2009, 21:45
Hi Everyone

I’m looking at getting an FAA CPL(H) & IR, I already hold a UK issued JAA CPL(H)

I have already read FAR AIM and I’ve read through the postings on pprune.

Based on my experience / flight hours as far as I can see for the FAA CPL I only need 3 hours flight training with a CFI in the proceeding 60 days to the flight test, the commercial theory test and the commercial flight test. (I meet all the other requirements) Could some one confirm this?

Could someone also recommend a good school in the US, pm me if you want.

I’ve spoken to about 4 different flight schools in the U.S. but I get different answers from them with regards to what I need to do for the CPL. One school even told me I need to do 20 hours flight training with a CFI for the FAA CPL, I really got the impression they just wanted to fleece me for as many hours as they could.

The only thing the different schools seemed to agree on was the flight training for the IR, all seemed to agree that I could get a credit for the IR hours I had already flown in the UK.

Any other advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance, TTTE.

Trans Lift
13th May 2009, 21:51
Sounds about right what you said. If you have all the other requirements then you should be fine. 3 hrs in the preceding 60 days to make sure you're up to scratch. I have a JAA CPL, FI and FAA CFI/CFII. I work for a company in California called SRT Helicopters. I'd be more than happy to help you get your certs. Look us up, www.srthelo.com (http://www.srthelo.com)
We'll hopefully hear from you soon!
Trans Lift

PM me if you want more info

Jarvy
13th May 2009, 22:41
I have a JAA(CPL) but with low hours and am living in the US now. Last week went and had a chat with an Irish guy who owns a helicopter company here in Connecticut. Very good and the route to a FAA(CPL) is now clear.
I can give you his details via pm if you like.
Jarvy

Gordy
14th May 2009, 02:25
If you have all the other requirements then you should be fine. 3 hrs in the preceding 60 days to make sure you're up to scratch.

As you say---assuming he has all the requirements... private license would be one of them.... I am guessing that it is not quite as simple as you think.

Trans Lift
14th May 2009, 06:23
Hey TTTE,
You will be able to get a private cert issued on the basis of your foreign license. You may also be able to add on your IR rating to that Private cert if, according to 61.75 in the FAR, that (1) you have instrument privileges on your current license and (2) that you pass the FAA IR written test 24 months preceding your application. Therefore I think that rules out having to actually pay for IR training over here. If only it worked going the other way!! It will take a couple of weeks for the application to go through but then you will get your PPL(H) with IR rating. Been there done that.
PM if you have any other questions so that people like Gordy wont be a pain in the arse with their comments!!:ok:

Gordy
14th May 2009, 08:40
PM if you have any other questions so that people like Gordy wont be a pain in the arse with their comments!!
Translift:

Uncalled for I think, as you mentioned in your second post---it may take a week or two. Comment noted. Name noted. Good luck.

TTTE:

To continue: You may need an additional 10 hours after gaining an FAA pvt. You are required to have 10 solo flight time,in the areas of operation listed in Part 61.127. Even though you may have these hours--your logbook may not have been documented correctly. This is taken from the Licensing checklist produced by John Lynch--the FAA authority on the matter:

Except for Commercial Pilot applicants who complete a Part 141 approved Commercial Pilot Certification course of training, the “10 hours of solo flying . . . on the Commercial Pilot areas of operation” for the single engine airplane, multiengine airplane, helicopter, gyroplane, and powered lift ratings would need to reflect at least 20 hours of solo time in the “Solo” box of the aircraft category on the “Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application” (FAA Form 8710-1) to account for the Private Pilot solo aeronautical experience.

Licensing checklist (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs800/afs810/checklist/media/aero-exp.doc)

You may also need to accomplish the night time requirements--not sure if you have 5 hours of solo night or not. Bear in mind this has to be solo--as in you are the sole occupant of the aircraft---dual NOT allowed. Feel free to list your hours and I am sure someone can help you further.

Edited to clarify.

TrymH
24th Jun 2009, 06:08
I guess the title is a little obscure as it is supposed to be the same, but bear with me here. I currently do my FAA CPL+IR and my intention is to convert to JAA in a 6 months time. However, I'm confused on all the rules governing the issuance of an ATPL. My plan is to just convert my CPL when I get home.

Here's my current situation: I'll be returning home i 6 months where I have exactly 1 year of free time. That's when Ill do my converting. From there on 1 year of compulsory military service awaits me, after that I'm thinking of going 1 year to Afghanistan to pay off my debt. Then it's job applying time.

I--------------I-------------------I----------------I----------------I------------I
FAA-training Converting CPL Military Afghanistan Job-searching
to dec 09 Dec 09 - jan 10 Jan 10 - 2011 2011-2012 -->

My goal is to work as a cargo master for a couple of years to gain some experience before moving to the boring job of flying in the north sea.
Until then I will only have a CPL and I will then take the IR if I get a job. Who knows, maybe I'll stay onshore.

The questions are the following:
If I do a complete ATPL instead of only a CPL, will it expire before I can do the actual IR flying? It's a question of money. It´s 9 exams as opposed to 14 with a full ATPL.

I won't need more than a CPL for working in the onshore, will I need to redo all the exams when I go for an offshore job 2 years later?

The Guardian
4th Sep 2009, 00:04
I'm interested in getting everyone's thoughts, opinions and experience on an ideal sequence of training in the U.S. I've decided to approach my training in a "professional" manner (even though I'm not sure I'll fly professionally) and would like to get my PPL, Instrument, Commercial and CFI in 200 hours give or take. My biggest question seems to be the sequence. Would diving into an Instrument rating be too much right after your PPL or should I try to stager things out a bit? Perhaps do the PPL, then 20 hours of Dual for the commercial, fly some of the cross-country solos and start mixing in the instrument training? Also, does the instrument training count as PIC hours towards the commercial? I plan on doing all the 40 hours of instrument required in a helicopter because I want to fly helicopters like a professional, not fly a plane or a simulator.... so I'd like to factor that into the training schedule.... any thoughts, personal experience, etc. appreciated...

Also, another question regarding the instrument rating. Does filing and flying solo an IFR flight plan in VMC count as IFR hours when it comes to staying current? Or do you just have to do some hood time every so often? If you're flying airport to airport can you file and fly an IFR fight plan even if you're flying what is most likely a VFR helicopter (assuming VMC the whole way)? Obviously understanding instrument flying and navigation is important but I'm wondering about the day to day practical usefulness of an instrument rating in what seems like a primarily VFR helicopter world....

Thanks

gwelo shamwari
23rd Dec 2009, 23:54
§ 61.161 Aeronautical experience: Rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating.

(a) A person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating, must have at least 1,200 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:

(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time;

(2) 100 hours of night flight time, of which 15 hours are in helicopters;

(3) 200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof; and

(4) 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions, of which at least 50 hours are obtained in flight with at least 25 hours in helicopters as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof.

(b) Training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(4) of this section, subject to the following:

(1) Training in a flight simulator or a flight training device must be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents a rotorcraft.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, an applicant may receive credit for not more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator and flight training device.

(3) A maximum of 50 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(4) of this section if the aeronautical experience is accomplished in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

Seems pretty clear... you need 100hrs night logged with at least 15hrs in a Helicopter... a requirement is a requirement is a requirement...

Best solution would be to coordinate to get the additional required night time with the brush-up training - or if a large amount of flight times is required and you have 15hrs helicopter, rent a Cessna 150 with instructor - cheaper option.

Good luck :ok:

rick1128
25th Dec 2009, 13:34
The FAA does it a little bit differently. Night time is also an ICAO requirement so the time is built into the certificte requirements. They do not have a separate night rating or endorsement. For special situations, like Alaska, the FAA has a certificate restriction, if the applicant doesn't have the required night time. However, this restriction is only applicable to the Private Pilot Certificate.

rick1128
25th Dec 2009, 13:42
Guardian, you can not log IFR just because you are on an IFR flight plan. You must be under the hood with a CFI or Safety Pilot, or in actual IFR conditions. As for filing an IFR flight plan for VMC conditions only, that is a very gray area. Technically, you are legal as long as you don't enter IFR conditions. However, most helicopters have a placard saying the helicopter is certified for VFR, Day and Night operations. Most pilot examiners want to see you file a IFR flight plan to ensure you know the process. But the helicopter limitations state VFR not VMC. A big difference.

VFR = Visual Flight Rules
VMC = Visual Met Conditions

autoranger
26th Dec 2009, 03:34
Try Bristow Academy (http://www.heli.com) - they have schools in California, Louisiana and the main campus in Florida!:D:D:D

misterbonkers
26th Sep 2010, 08:52
Hi there,

Looking for an FAA school that can allow me to convert from JAR CPL(H) to FAA CPL(H) and also do an IR.

Preferably flying either R22/R44/B47/UH12.

NOT 269/300

Recommendations appreciated!

Thanks,

MB

timprice
26th Sep 2010, 09:54
Hi, if you want to do FAA licence ie CPL and IR feel free to contact me on 07951937144, i generally fly out of Shoreham or Goodwood on the south coast ( just in case distance is a problem)
or e-mail me on tim.price(AT)talk21.com if you have any long winded questions
Regards
Tim Price
CFII

Alexanderthegreat
26th Sep 2010, 10:24
Kingsfield Helicopters {Perth, Scotland} can do your FAA CPL/IR. Russell Hogan is the man to speak to. Alex.

misterbonkers
26th Sep 2010, 11:16
Thanks chaps,

Should have made it a bit clearer - looking to ideally go do it somewhere in the states.

Thanks,

MB

norunway
26th Sep 2010, 12:53
I couldn't recommend Cloud9 Helicopters of Palm Beach highly enough I went to them to convert my licence and found them to be very professional they have R22/R44/S300 and a few other types available to them very resonable pricing,they also have there own accomadation available and the flight school next door can do your written exam.

jemax
3rd Jun 2011, 06:45
I have searched and looked through FARAIM.

I have a stand alone FAA CPL/IR, i.e not issued off the back of my JAA license. I also have a IR Multi, heavy type JAA ATPL.

I know if I want to take my FAA license from CPL to ATP I need to do the exams and a flight test.

My question is once I have done the exams can I use my JAA ATPL to get the FAA ATP issued without having to do the flight test?

If I do need to do the flight test is it just Adam House in the UK that can do it or can it be done by a CFII. Can this test be done in a sim, if not does anyone know if an R22 IR trainer machine in the UK.

Thanks

HillerBee
3rd Jun 2011, 08:18
You have to take the checkride, and it needs to be an instrument trainer. You also need at least 3 hours of training by a CFII, who has to endosre you for the checkride. Then the checkride has to be with a DPE (or a FAA inpector)

helilineguy
20th Jun 2011, 03:33
I'm looking to do my comm. ride in the MD500. Are there any flight schools out there that have one for rent to do it in?

vaqueroaero
20th Jun 2011, 12:05
All American Helicopters in Denton, Texas has a 500 C if that would work.
Call: 940 389 7133

Darren999
20th Jun 2011, 14:56
I can put you in touch with school in PA (USA) with a 500. PM me for details if your still interested

Darren

helilineguy
20th Jun 2011, 15:39
Do you know if it's a C, D, or E model ? I'm looking for a D or E if it's out there.

BH06L3
26th Feb 2014, 10:13
I'm looking for some clarification on training in the US. All the paper work is a little confusing. My plan is to get a PPL with instrument rating based on a foreign licence. Then rent a helicopter to build some night and IFR time to meet the requirements for the FAA ATP. Then do the FAA ATP licence.

So this is how I understand it so far. Anyone please correct me if I 'm wrong.

So first I believe I DO NOT need to apply for SEVIS,TSA approval or a student visa to get the PPL based on a foreign licence. I would only need to write the foreign instrument exam (IFP) and do a VFR flight review to be legal to rent and fly under FAA?

Now for the ATP:

I do hold a foreign commercial and instrument issued by a ICAO State which I believe can be the licence requirement to apply for the FAA ATP licence.

I will need to apply only once ($130) Category 1 with the TSA for the FAA ATP license?

Get my I-20 and Register with SEVIS ($200)?

Then get a M-3 visa on arrival at the boarder being a Canadian citizen?

Also does anyone know how long the TSA and SEVIS process takes on average start to finish?

hueyracer
26th Feb 2014, 11:21
Do you have the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS?

If there is .1 missing-you will not get it….

Check this first...

BH06L3
26th Feb 2014, 11:43
Hopefully with the PPL instrument I will rent a heli and fly about 50 hours night to make sure I meet the ATP requirements.

rotorwhip
12th Apr 2017, 12:05
Hello folks.
Could someone help me with job prospects in the US/ Canada . HAve about 6000 hours on SE and ME turbine helicopters. ALTP(H) India and IR, so will need an FAA conversion. Currently offshore. Not sure at all of how to go about. Turned 50 and so not looking to slog but more of something like 30-40 hours a month max with some leisure time with the family. Suggestions and guidance friends.
Thanks so much.

hueyracer
12th Apr 2017, 12:37
Most important thing first:

Do you have a work permit for the US or Canada?

If not-forget it. Too many pilots available in order for companies "sponsoring" anyone nowadays..

rotorwhip
12th Apr 2017, 23:39
Oh really. Thanks. Probably should for a sponsor? Have another year in my present contract. Any other suggestions ? Thanks