PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Day on the Air - calling all PPRuNe Radio Hams

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2004, 01:24
I realise it is a bit of a long shot but wondered if any Radio Amateurs from Oz or NZ would be willing to give this a try? It would do wonders for the girls if you could.
Your help is needed! The weekend of 21/22 February sees the annual Thinking Day on the Air event for the Girl Guides. The radio club of which I am a member will be operating a special station for this event, callsign GB2EMG. from around 1000hrs to 1700hrs on the Saturday and 0900 to 1000 and 1130 to 1600hrs on the Sunday* (the break is to allow the Guides to attend Church Parade)
The frequencies we will most likely be using are as follows:
3.77MHz
7.40MHz
14.195MHz and
24.940MHz
Please would any of you who have a licence and access to a transceiver listen out for the calls and reply or maybe even call us up yourself? The idea is to encourage young people to explore the fun side of Amateur Radio.
There will also be an event for the Scouts later in the year.
If anyone would like to contact me with a callsign and a time and frequency at which we could attempt to contact them that would be a real bonus. Thanks in advance, M3WOM
*All times UTC
The above is from my thread in JB.

Torres
23rd Jan 2004, 03:52
Out of my frequency range. Is there a 15 Meter frequency? :confused:

73's

VK4VEE

OzExpat
23rd Jan 2004, 18:35
Sorry DX but, as ya know, I'm flat out figuring out the eccentricities of the PPRuNe Bulletin Board... :}

flappist
28th Jan 2004, 06:07
3.77 & 7.4 are both out of band for all VK operators.
24.94 & 14.195 are ok (provided you can fit between the fishing boats)

DX Wombat
21st Feb 2004, 07:38
Torres We will see what we can do about a 15m frequency. It would be brilliant if we did succeed in making contact. Here's hoping! M3WOM

Torres
22nd Feb 2004, 13:53
M3WOM. 21.150 to 21.175 Mhz would be great. If not can work duplex SSB, cross band.

VK4VEE

DX Wombat
25th Feb 2004, 04:43
Torres Thank you very much for that. Unfortunately conditions at our end were atrocious :{ and were not helped by the fact that we had to spend quite a lot of time on Saturday afternoon reinstalling the G5RV. This entailed someone climbing a tree and lopping off some branches after an attempt to shoot an arrow over it (with rope attached) had failed. Great fun, but a BIIIIG timewaster. We did however eventually manage 29 contacts ranging from Schenectady to, amongst others, Romania and Hungary. I'm not too sure, but I think we had a VK contact too - I'll try to check tomorrow at the club. To everyone who posted messages of encouragement and offers to listen in, a very big THANK YOU It was much appreciated. We will be participating in the Scouts version "Jamboree on the Air" later in the year so I hope we will be more sucessful then. I'll let you know when I find out the dates. :ok: M3WOM

TIMMEEEE
28th Feb 2004, 04:52
Jesus H Christ guys.........geta life!!!

Fiddling around with radios when you can be in the great outdoors.....swimming, surfing, walking, running....you name it!!

If you were living in the central Ukraine where its -30 outside I may understand.
And I thought computer geeks were bad!!

The guy that used to do that very lame "on the airbands" column in AA isnt involved I hope.
Thank God that was scrapped.

DX Wombat
3rd Mar 2004, 05:43
Timeeee I have a life, seems like you are the one missing out. My radio can be used mobile and indeed that is how I tend to use it. Take this afternoon, it was +3C outside so I drove up into the Yorkshire Dales above Malham and turned my radio on. I was able to listen in comfort and enjoy the beautiful scenery on a glorious day. Normally I would have gone walking, but a knee injury has put paid to that for the time being. We are not as fortunate with good weather over here as you are so hobbies which keep kids off the streets and out of bother are to be encouraged. Amateur radio is a good, interesting hobby and one which can be enjoyed by people of all ages. We had great fun that weekend and intend to repeat it for the benefit of the Scouts later in the year.
Those amateurs who have a full licence (I'm working towards mine) are often also members of Mountain rescue teams and other such rescue organisations and are often called upon at events such as Car Rallying to provide the essential radio links for crowd control. They are also required to make their skills available in times of emergency.
Why not find someone near you with a licence and ask if you can join in on one of the days? You may find you like it.
Woomera A big "THANK YOU" for making it a sticky. :ok:

TIMMEEEE
8th Mar 2004, 19:35
DX Wombat - no thanks dude.

Reackon I'd prefer to stick to the Sony Playstation, nude darts, custard wrestling and the surfboard.

Although it sounds extremely tempting.................. not!

Hope the leg gets better old son..........T

DX Wombat
9th Mar 2004, 06:25
Timeeee We are going to have to agree to disagree :) but then the world would be a very boring place if we all only liked the same things. Thanks for the good wishes, my knee is improving slowly. I do have one tiny bone to pick with you however: Hope the leg gets better old son......... Son????? erm......NOOOOOOO! Definitely NOT - at least not the last time I checked :D In your defence however, I have to say that it isn't obvious from my username whether I am male or female but I can assure you I AM female :ok:

TIMMEEEE
10th Mar 2004, 03:53
DX Wombat - how characteristically uncouth of me!!

Does that mean you cant custard wrestle at the moment????
Nude darts on the other hand....................just kidding!!!

Get well soon maam.

DX Wombat
12th Mar 2004, 00:19
Timeeee Not at all uncouth, just a typical Aussie bloke having a bit of fun ;) and I'm not in the least offended. I'm afraid the custard wrestling will have to wait for another day. Come to think of it, just how DO you wrestle custard - unless you are referring to Custard, one of my two cats?:confused: Nude darts? The darts I use are always nude :E doesn't everyone use them? Thanks once again for the good wishes. Enjoy the remains of your summer - the sun is already heading up north of the equator! :ok:

Taildragger
15th Mar 2004, 18:57
Timmeeee Dinnae worry old son ........ I have made the self same mistake with the self same lady DX, only I was a little bit less couth, sharing a lads observation on Chat.!!

Now DX Old girl ...... I have just come back from a wee walkabout in the Far East and Oz/New Zealand and I bought a Yacht Boy.
No.... it isn't one of those dirty magazines you buy down the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, it's a Grundig SW Radio with Single Side Band capability.
I would like to listen to amateurs ICQing, but don't know what freqs to scan. Any pointers where I would likely be successful would be appreciated. Thank you maam.

Torres
15th Mar 2004, 22:10
Taildragger, go here (http://www.wiavic.org.au/services/whatisar.html) and some of your questions may be answered.

Australian Amateur Radio HF frequencies:
1.800 to 1.875 Mhz
3.500 to 3.800 Mhz
7.000 to 7.300 Mhz
10.100 to 10.150 Mhz
14.000 to 14.250 Mhz
18.068 to 18.150 Mhz
21.000 to 21.340 Mhz
24.890 to 24.950 Mhz
28.000 to 29.680 Mhz

Frequency allocations may vary slightly from country to country. The lower section of each frequency band is generally allocated to CW (Morse).

Check out around 14.150 Mhz upwards during the day and around 3.575 upwards at night.

VK4VEE (Ex P29NBF)

Taildragger
20th Mar 2004, 17:38
Torres You are a gentleman sir. I don't care what Hanoi said about you. You are a star turn.!

Torres
21st Mar 2004, 01:56
It'd be a boring world if everyone told the truth about what an upstanding, honoured, respected member of the community I am. :}

Havn't heard from Hanoi for ages. Must cut and paste and email these posts to him. :ok:

If you get to London, visit the British Amateur Radio station on HMS Barham (?), moored in the Thames as a naval museum. They should be able to give you the UK amateur frequencies as I seem to recall there was some very minor differences. Amateurs used to have the 27 MHz band also until someone (dearly beloved by aviators) started flogging thousands of CB transceivers in Australia many years ago, at a time it was not illegal to own them, but illegal to operate.

DX Wombat
23rd Mar 2004, 22:48
Taily, I have sent you an email. You could also try a visit to Duxford where I believe they have an Amateur Radio station too.
Torres, that's a very useful list. I hope eventually to have a reciprocal licence for Oz so will store that list somewhere safe.:ok: