PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Plsssss!!!!!!

jam123
22nd Jan 2004, 18:31
Dear all,

Please, I need help!!!!!!!!!

I am 31 and work for the government as a civil servant and have always wanted to be an airline pilot. My concerns are obviously my age. Have i left it too late? I would welcome advice from anyone out there, whether your a 747 captain or a wannabe!!

Secondly, i only have 6 GCSE's. Would this be a problem when the airlines look at my CV.

Thanks

P.s Im sorry if im on the wrong forum but i would like advice from everyone, especially airline pilots

Northern Highflyer
22nd Jan 2004, 18:41
jam123

Firstly this would be better suited in the Wannabes forum, which is where the Mods will surely move it to. That is also the forum where you can find the answers to your questions by reading the threads there. An "am I too old" thread is running there right now.

Briefly to answer your questions.

1 you are not too old but it won't be easy
2 your GCSE results are unlikely to be of much interest to the airlines.

McCroskey
23rd Jan 2004, 02:36
jam123

I agree with Northern Highflyer, your not too old but it wont be easy depending on which training route you choose. If you go the self improver route it will be cheaper but it will take longer and there is more potential of you getting lost in the training system and never making it. Or you could go for an ab initio course like at Oxford, its alot more expensive but it is relatively quick (it took me approx 14 months) and the standard of training is good.
On my course there was a 32 year old who financially risked everything, he was 33 when he got his licence but it paid off as he got a job with BMI not long after. If you read through the forums you'll find plenty people who are older and have made it as pilots.

I would'nt worry about you GCSE's on your CV, the fact that you've worked for the civil service will look good on your CV, airlines are run in a similar way to the civil service, dont forget the CAA is run by a bunch of civil servants.

I can fully understand you wanting to get out of the civil service, my Dads a senior civil servant and from his stories it sounds like a sinking ship, his suggestion is that you make up some kind of illness..... anything, bad back, headaches, stress problems seem to be popular, then you get 6 months off on full pay and then you can spend your time flight training while your off work, learning to fly and getting paid for it its worth a try.

Your not too old yet but dont leave you decision too much longer and if you've got enough determination you will do it.

Good Luck if you decide to take the plunge.