PDA

View Full Version : This is for everyone!!!!!

jam123
22nd Jan 2004, 18:25
Dear all,

Please, I need help!!!!!!!!!

I am 31 and work for the government as a civil servant and have always wanted to be an airline pilot. My concerns are obviously my age. Have i left it too late? I would welcome advice from anyone out there, whether your a 747 captain or a wannabe!!

Secondly, i only have 6 GCSE's. Would this be a problem when the airlines look at my CV.

Thanks

Jam

Send Clowns
22nd Jan 2004, 18:41
If you are desperate to fly 777s for BA and no-one "less" will do then you are too late. Too old for cadetship, probably not enough time to climb the ladder to a direct-entry job. Otherwise, you are fine. A little above average for the self-spnsored student, but not exceptional. I have several students at the mement for ATPL groundschool in their 40s.

Work hard at the groundschool impress your training provider (who will give you a reference), and do OK there, and the airlines that give most pilots their first jobs won't care about qualifications. I know one who left school at 16 to work in the construction industry, started the courses in his late 30s and now has a job with a small commuter airline, which is more than I have with my 4 A-levels and degree.

Best of luck!

Northern Highflyer
22nd Jan 2004, 18:50
Haven't I just answered this exact question in the Rumours and News Forum ? :hmm:

Send Clowns
23rd Jan 2004, 01:10
There are now 3 postings on the same issue here! Read this to avoid annoying the mods (and of course the rest of us)! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92312)