PDA

View Full Version : LHR delays on Thursday?

angels
22nd Jan 2004, 17:15
An agitated colleague has just called from Paris. He's already five minutes late for a meeting with a big client and he was just leaving CDG in a cab.

The reason he was late was his BA flight this morning sat on the tarmac at LHR for 90 minutes before departing. Was this a one-off, or are there big problems there this morning?

Anyone know?

WHBM
22nd Jan 2004, 17:56
If any of my team were going for a meeting with a "big client" in Paris starting at this time of the morning I would be asking why they didn't travel over there last night. Those of use who travel regularly know the averages (very roughly, 90% on time, 10% late), and where things are critical we do not run down to the wire.

Not an aviation comment but general business organisation. It applies to all forms of long distance transport.

Geffen
22nd Jan 2004, 20:33
Could it be there were delays into Paris? Often BA will go and remote hold until their slot time. Interestingly I have heard that this often gives them on on time departure, based on off blocks times!

angels
22nd Jan 2004, 22:43
WHBM - Without divulging too much in the way of commercial info, the meet was set up late last night. What you suggest does indeed usually happen.

And Geffen, you got it right. There was a brief industrial dispute at CDG this morning. Some of the emergency workers walked out in protest against plans to privatise bits of Aeroport de Paris.

The airport authority says the industrial dispute caused no delays and that any 'minor' delays were due to fog.

I think they're telling porkies, don't you!!

Cheers to all.