PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR rating

Topgun 4122T
22nd Jan 2004, 05:12
Has anybody done a FAA IR then came back to the uk and done the conversion to the jAR IR .. would you advise this or is it a bad idea ? it seems to be a good way to save a few pound ?

skyman68
22nd Jan 2004, 05:57
yes do that. write me and give me your e mail adress by MP if you want more info

dorosenco
22nd Jan 2004, 09:09
Derek,

I did that myself. Check my website www.passion2fly.com for more info or send me an e-mail.

good luck,

Keygrip
22nd Jan 2004, 09:19
derek - it certainly is one of the ways to go (and I am a great pro-ponent of it).

However- if you think you are going to do the conversion course in the minimum 15 hours (or anywhere near it) you have to be EXTREMELY careful as to where to do the FAA course beforehand.

Rightly, or wrongly, just passing the FAA ride and holding "the ticket" will NOT, in any way, shape, or form, prepare you for the JAA instrumentr rating skill test. Nothing to do with standards - just a different set of rules, different way of life - different procedures.

I've observed on courses where guys have been SPECIFICALLY TAUGHT the drills and procedures required by the European authorities - lots of simulator time, done with European R/T, European routes in the database - everything.

It still took them an avergae of 20 hours on return from the USA.

I say again - nothing to do with standards - just a different philosophy.

I still think it's a good idea - but be very selective in where you go to do this....and remember, only 40% of I/R test candidates gain a full pass at their 1st attempt.

dorosenco
23rd Jan 2004, 02:58
Derek,

I did my IR in the UK in 15 hours (I was ready in 12). The main differences/difficulties were :
- R/T a little different. In 5 hours you get it figured out.
- Use of ICAO flight plans instead of FAA
- The routes are MUCH shorter
- Relearn NDB approaches (never used them in the US before)
- Altimeter setting procedures
- Much stronger winds that I was used to.
- Tighter standards

The good deal would be to go to a FAA flight school that has dual-rated FAA/JAA instructors who can teach you the differences from the very beginning.

good luck,

englishal
23rd Jan 2004, 18:27
I don't want to be seen to advertise, but there is a school in California who will train you for the FAA IR (indeed the full FAA CPL/IR if you want) to JAA standards. They should know, their head instructor went the FAA route, got the FAA ATP, then came back to the UK and converted to JAA fATPL and JAA FI (they also do FAA training in the UK). Becasue they have done this route, they'd be best to advise you on it, and I think they are setting up links with various FTOs in the UK specifically to undertake conversions.

PM me if you want any more contact details.

Rgds
EA

dorosenco
23rd Jan 2004, 23:37
Englishal,

There is NO school in California authorized to do MODULAR JAA CPL or ME-IR training ! I live here and know all the schools ...
There is UK Flight Training in Long Beach but their authorization is not very clear and they do PPL/IMC only.
There is also Scandinavian in San Diego but they ONLY do integrated fATPL through Sweeden ...
In Nothern California there is nada for JAA ...

englishal
24th Jan 2004, 01:10
There is NO school in California authorized to do MODULAR JAA CPL or ME-IR training
Very true, not authorized by the CAA. However you're doing American ratings to the higher of JAA or FAA standards, with a view from the outset to convert to JAA. The way it works is you do FAA CPL/IR (or just IR, whatever) then head over to the UK and do a couple of weeks to an FTO there, where you take the conversion flight tests / training. There is no fundamental difference between flight in Europe or the US, there are however different procedures, tolerances, and rules, and if you can fly to these before your trip home, then the conversion should be possible in the minimum required time.

Cheers
EA

PS> Do you really know ALL the schools in SOCAL?:D

skyman68
24th Jan 2004, 07:39
R/T a little different. In 5 hours you get it figured out.
- Use of ICAO flight plans instead of FAA
- The routes are MUCH shorter
- Relearn NDB approaches (never used them in the US before)
- Altimeter setting procedures
- Much stronger winds that I was used to.
- Tighter standards

Studied ICAO flight plan at home, altimeter (look on the chart for transition altitude),NDB is taught in the USA, got 50-60knots tail wind in the USA and in Europe,...

I fly in Europe with a US aircraft.I have not seen so much difference except the accent on radio.

Topgun 4122T
29th Jan 2004, 04:39
Thanks for all the replies guys ! great advise it really helps !!!!

BillieBob
29th Jan 2004, 06:50
there is also UK Flight Training is Long Beach but their authorization is not very clear and they do PPL/IMC only On the contrary, their authorization is crystal clear - they are not approved to provide training for any JAA licence or rating. By clever (some might say misleading) marketing, they suggest that they can provide training for some kind of JAA qualification but this is not the case.

Keep an eye open for Comed, I wouldn't be surprised to see them adding other JAA courses to their PPL approved facility in San Diego