PDA

View Full Version : full size plastic spitfire

Air Roverman
22nd Jan 2004, 03:53
Hi
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a full size replica GRP spitfire?
I am sure there was a company making them that used to advertise in the back of the GA flying magazines.

Cheers

AR

Torres
22nd Jan 2004, 09:05
There was a full size GRP replica Spitfire at Gatton in Queensland, Australia, disused alongside a fruit shop. It was not a well made example and would probably need some work, but it may be going for a song?

PM me if you want me to find out more.

CoodaShooda
22nd Jan 2004, 09:41
I'm particularly brain dead today and can't for the life of me remember what GRP stands for.

However the Aviation Heritage Centre at Darwin has a full size fibreglass replica Spitfire Mk VIII on display. I believe they commissioned it and so should be able to give contact details for the 'artist'.

Their website is http://www.darwinsairwar.com.au

henry crun
22nd Jan 2004, 14:35
The NZ Canterbury Brevet Club also has a plastic replica outside their clubhouse.

The original Spit XV1 TE288 which is now displayed in the RNZAF museum at Wigram, who had the replica built as a replacement.

Cooda, grp = glass reinforced plastic

Yozzer
22nd Jan 2004, 14:58
The RAF Museum @ Hendon npw have one hanging vertically up the entrance hall. Painted silver and quite pretty. Looks about full size, perhaps MOTF or Damien may have a photo from their recent visit.

GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic, the glass bit is fibreglass

Southampton Hall of Aviation now has their Replica Spitfire K5054 now available for static hire, "transported by road, perfect for your garden party, product launch, events, shows etc."

Gleaned from a websearch and may be of use, especially if you live in the same county!

RabbitLeader
22nd Jan 2004, 15:34
I'm sure, among my favourites on the PC at home, that I've got a website for GRP Spitfires. In fact, I was in contact with the guy who makes a lot of them last year, on about having one as a memorial.

I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

If not, I might know where you can get your hands on a 75% one, hopefully soon....!

astir 8
22nd Jan 2004, 15:47
Helped shift the components of a GRP replica Spit at Duxford many years back - I was told that it ended up as a gate guardian at Biggin. I believe that when all the real gate guardian Spits were taken in from the cold, they were replaced by plastic ones.

Close up the detail was outstanding - clearly the mould had been taken off the real thing.

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2004, 16:43
The moulds were indeed taken from the real thing, the Hurricane at Biggin was used - not certain which Spitfire was, though Mk V EP120 then at Wattisham, now with The Fighter Collection tinkles a bell...

Now, I'm pretty certain that the company who makes the replicas is based in Cambridge or thereabouts, and they used to advertise in Flypast... you might need to go back several yeas though!

Treadders

JDK
22nd Jan 2004, 16:44
Hi Air,
The Gate Guard Spit (& Hurri) replicas to replace the ones restored by Tim Routsis & Co were made by Feggins Brown, who also made the replicas used & blown up in Piece of Cake - but FB went bust some years ago.

An ad in the magazine beguinning with F might net you something. Kent Battle of Britain Museum is Battle of Britain Film replica central - have a chat with them.

Another plastic Spit in Aus is outside the RAAFA museum, Bull Creek, Perth. Not for sale though!

The RAFM Silver Spit is newly installed, perhaps 'new' itself. Talk to them. Do let me know if you get any sense from Corporate RAFM it'd be a first.

Cheers
James K

RabbitLeader
23rd Jan 2004, 01:22
Full-sized Spitfire, Hurricane and V1 flying bomb replicas here:
http://www.spitfirespares.com/

Yozzer
24th Jan 2004, 01:17
`£23,000 on the road`

If I had the money and real-estate, I would have one. Sadly I have neither :{

Besides which the RAFM Spitfire and Hurricane look very tatty nowadays and hold none of the kudos that these aircraft deserve. You would think that parked in the eyesight of every visitor, the RAFM would ensure a first class appearance of the two replicas in their posession.

RileyDove
24th Jan 2004, 01:39
For the money they spent on the replicas they could have actually bought something that was real and significant in relation to the RAF . Genetically they are very closely related to a bathtub and of similar interest !

JDK
24th Jan 2004, 06:41
Yes, and some of that money could still be spent on a bi-annual repaint. Even a repaint with the opening of the new galleries would've been politic. It's got to have been the shabbyest thing an HRH has seen in years! RAFM - must try harder.
Cheers
JamesK