PDA

View Full Version : When does flying become just a job?

GW_04
21st Jan 2004, 17:18
At some time does flying become just another way to make a living? Or is there a secret formula to keeping the dream alive for your whole career?
I LOVE flying as much today as yesterday but often wonder if there is a type a certain type of mindset required to make it life lasting through till retirement.
Ive met some who seem to be sick of it in no time once they get to there final goal, but others at 65 begging for more!

G ?? :rolleyes:

hoss
21st Jan 2004, 18:32
Q. When does flying become just a job?

A. Impossible scenario, never:) .

splatgothebugs
22nd Jan 2004, 08:54
If it does you were never ment to do it :)

and if you do find you are getting a little tired of it, move somewhere else and start from scratch in a new company and aircraft:ok:

splat

redsnail
22nd Jan 2004, 20:37
It becomes a job when the rotten tight fisted mongrels won't pay your expences for the last couple of months. Yes in the union. Up to about 500 quid's worth now. All the Shed crews are being effected. (our company was bought by a "bigger" one)
It was one of the happiest days for me in the UK when I sent in my resignation. :E
You'll find that very few folk complain about the flying, it's the "head office" that does your head in.

m-dot
23rd Jan 2004, 06:35
This one is simple. I am sure everyone starts out with a tight grip on the romance of flying but it does fade...

When you;
- Get shafted for the first time
- Fly your first 900hrs a year in a heap of snot 210 without an autopilot, based out of an aboriginal community being paid 5/8ths of smeg all
- Work for a boss who uses a day that you didnt fly as your RDO

do I need to keep going?

Having said that it is just a job, I must comment though that in some strange way I have no regrets and I would do it all again tomorrow.

Every now and then you do get moments when you revisit the passion. Coming in to land in the late afternoon, everything is calm and the sun is setting behind you. You watch the shadow of the aircraft come up to meet you from below.

Only just a job now, but what a job it is compared to being stuck in an office 9 to 5.

Bring it on - its all good!!

chimbu warrior
23rd Jan 2004, 10:28
To answer your original question, about 0330.

OzExpat
23rd Jan 2004, 18:59
I'm not a morning person... never have been. But, in my younger days, I did the Oh-too-early departure for a LOT of years. I still remember that, after responding to the alarm clock, I'd always ask myself why the **** I didn't stick with a normal 9-5 job. I also clearly remember that, once airborne, I'd have the answer to that question.

In short... it beats working for a living! :ok:

It's not the sort of job that you ever get bored with unless you LET yourself get bored. There IS such a thing as "enroute boredom" but, even if that happens to you, it should end as soon as you start briefing TOPD and expected arrival, etc etc. The name of the game is to get the aeroplane onto the ground as smoothly and professionally as possible.

That way, you don't have to answer embarrassing questions from the pax... :O

druckmefunk
24th Jan 2004, 01:00
Right about the time you join an airline and become just a number. flying a modern widebody on longhaul back of the clock two crew operations is just about the quickest way to destroy the passion I have ever come across.

dmf

Captain Stoobing
27th Jan 2004, 05:30
It is just a job, the best in the world, but still just a job. For me it is a way of getting money to do things I enjoy more. Wives, kids, friends and toys are all more important than sitting in an aeroplane.
I feel like I woke up one day and realised that it is just what I do, it is not who I am.
I am not flying a widebody jet but am very content with a moderately high performance turboprop (If there is such a thing) and the time to dedicate to all the above things.

Without trying to preach to all, not everyone can fly a jet. You only live once and you have to make the most of the experiences and people around you. My thought anyway.

To quote the great Ferris Buler;

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"

Capt. Stoobing.;)

GW_04
27th Jan 2004, 17:00
Nicely put there Capt. ;)

Hugh Jarse
27th Jan 2004, 17:18
Most normal people work to live - not live to work, no matter what . For those of you that live to work, when you wake up one day and realise that the company has little regard for it's employees, then it becomes just a job. Sad, but true if you fly anything with a red tail in Australia.

Hoss, if you stick around 2 more years with us and don't blast off to Dragonair or Cathay or wherever, I'll ask you what your feelings are then, and whether you'll reconsider your response. If you know what I mean:ok: Bet you'll agree with me:}

hoss
29th Jan 2004, 16:24
No worries Jarse:ok: ,

Hows things going on the 'new type';) , I didn't realise DMcD is training with you.

Hey, certainly ask me in two years time. Infact you'll get an invitation to my retirement party in about 30 years time so ask me then as well:) .

Safe flying.

SuPeRcHaRgEd
29th Jan 2004, 17:37
Flying became just another job for me after the two thousanth hour of ab initio training!

Hugh Jarse
29th Jan 2004, 19:04
Hoss, we tied off the loose ends Monday. 2nd week of Feb for the first victims.

D.M. aced it as he always does :D