PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter autopilot

Aser
21st Jan 2004, 02:12
Do you known of any helicopter auto pilot that have a "time limitation" for the "hover" mode??żż

Any links with information about autopilots would be nice

Thanks.

Aser
21st Jan 2004, 07:17
From the apache manual:
d. Attitude/Hover Hold. The hover augmentation system (HAS) or HOVER HOLD mode of the DASE uses SAS actuators to maintain position and damp external disturbances to the helicopter. HAS is set by engaging the ATTD/HOVER HOLD switch or by using the momentary OFF (up) position of the pilot FORCE TRIM REL switch. HAS provides the pilot with limited station-keeping or velocity- hold during hover or low speed flight. Position-hold accuracy is a function of inertial velocity drift errors of the HARS which can vary with time. The SAS authority margin will be biased from its center position as these errors build with time.

This "limited station-keeping" is because of being a SAS system , no an autopilot??żż
You guys flying with sas+autopilot ,tell me something please :hmm:

Shawn Coyle
21st Jan 2004, 22:50
The AP being a machine, shouldn't care how long it is asked to maintain a particular condition.
Other parts of the helicopter, like the engine or transmission may have some time limits on power applied which could limit the time you can spend in the hover if you are heavy. But not the autopilot from what I've seen.

Gomer Pylot
21st Jan 2004, 23:52
The 'limited' in your quote doesn't mean there is a time limit, it means the ability to keep the helicopter in one place is limited. It only approximates a hover hold, keeping the ship in the vicinity of where you started, and somewhere around the altitude. It's not a true auto-hover, it's just an assist to the pilot.

Aser
22nd Jan 2004, 04:28
Thanks guys :ok:

I'm thinking of buying Cyclic & Collective by Shawn Coyle and The Helicopter Pilot's Handbook by Phil Croucher to complete the limited ICAO helicopter-syllabus in my school and get some "real world" experiences and info.

Regards.
Aser