PDA

View Full Version : Psych Tests

Maverfic
21st Jan 2004, 01:00
Would be useful to hear some proper scientific views upon the subject of the dreaded personality and aptitude test (sorry, assessment) systems employed by Airlines, and specifically whether there is any point in trying to 'cook' the results.

Presumably the test is compared to the candidate as he/she appeared in the interview?

strafer
21st Jan 2004, 02:34
I remember discussing this about two months ago in Wannabes.
Search function's disabled again I'm afraid, so I can't point you to the thread. Maybe try later?

Hawk
21st Jan 2004, 05:31
Maverfic..I think this topic has been discussed on Jetblast as well, so might be worth doing a search.
cheers
Hawk

gingernut
26th Jan 2004, 18:35
Maverfic, my views are not that scientific, but I'm not sure that the tests themselves are that scientific.

Do the tests measure what they are meant to measure, and if so, do they measure it consistently ? (Do "better" pilots/lawyers/doctors/binmen score higher in the tests.)

Your performance in the aptitude tests, can usually be enhanced by practice. "Low level" aptitude tests can practiced by using the "11+" papers available at WH Smiths.

The tests used by the airlines, appear to be aimed at a "higher" level, and as other ppruners have stated, are available from previous posts. (I seem to remember downloading a Quantas test paper, which involved, amongst other things, spatial awareness + reasoning skills.)

The "personality" tests are another kettlle of fish. From what I've seen, there appear to be no wrong or right answers. It depends on what your organisation is after. For example, for a job involving the serving of hamburgers, the organistion may require an individual who knuckles down, works well as a member of a team, and is generally compliant.

An air traffic controller, for example, may also have to work well as a member of a team, but would you want someone who is totally, compliant, and unwilling to challenge the actions of others ?

Can the results be cooked ? There will be inbuilt mechanisms within the tests to look out for this. The tests may be fairly lengthy, and they will repeat questions, several times, in slightly different ways, to try and catch you out. Another trick used, it to use an inputting device (eg a computer), which does not allow you to review your previous answers.

Inbuilt into the test, will be "honesty" questions. For example,

"How often do you tell the truth?

(a) always (b) most of the time (c) few times (d) never"

Always suspect those who give answer A !

For "the truth" you will find substitutes "gossip about people" "pick your nose" etc etc.

As you can see, the tests are fairly complex, and there are organisations devoted to "getting them right."

My advice to you ...... be honest !
Sorry gingernut..didnt edit your post ..pushed the edit button by mistake.

Maverfic
26th Jan 2004, 22:55
Thanks guys,

Search is still disabled so will keep waiting on that one.

Gigernut: Good points, taken on board.

If anyone can reccommend useful websites which don't charge corporate rates I'd appreciate it.

ATB.