PDA

View Full Version : Servisair Check-in Interview?

flyingfletch
20th Jan 2004, 19:25
Dear All,

Your help is required! I have an Interview with Servisair this week for a passenger check in and customer service position and wondered what format the interview takes?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Anyone had one or know anything of use to me?

Regards

Flying:ok:

Departures Beckham
20th Jan 2004, 19:31
Which airport are you looking at? Have you worked in the industry before?

flyingfletch
20th Jan 2004, 21:38
not Glasgow Ž!

its EMA actually

FF:ok:

BEST L/CONTROLLER
21st Jan 2004, 02:29
Well at the moment, anybody with a head will get a job with us, that is probably the best advice to ya,,,LOL

So if you've got one your OK.

CHEERS!!!!!!:ok:

P.S-only kidding !!!!!!!! (slightly)

GOOD LUCK ANYWAY

jimbols6
21st Jan 2004, 02:40
have you got your own transport??
when can you start??

cheers

ozgirl
21st Jan 2004, 16:25
Hi Flyingfletch

I went for an interview with them last year for Gatwick and it was the easiest interview I have been too.

They tell you about the company, then you do a test which consists of 24hr clock, capital cities, airport codes etc. We then did a group exercise wher they gave you a pax list and you had to seat them on the aircraft.

After that you have a brief 1-2-1 interview and that's that. I have to say though I have worked the last eight years with four different airlines which is why I may have found it easier....but as the other guys have said as long as you have a head..you're in!!!

Good luck

flyingfletch
21st Jan 2004, 18:57
thank you all for your help and advice

BEST L/CONTROLLER
21st Jan 2004, 19:09
Good luck anyway, let us all know how you get on, It's not too bad really, I'm still at Servisair for nearly 9 years, if it were that bad I wouldn't still be here,

CHEERS!!!:ok:

flyingfletch
21st Jan 2004, 23:45
where are you all based with servisair?

will let you know how it went !

flyingfletch
22nd Jan 2004, 21:05
just thought I will let you know how it went,

straight forward chat with 2 supervisors telling me about the job and answering any q's I had, gonna give me a call to sort things out!

Only problem for me is the low pay for the distance I will have to travel ! may be forced to reject the offer !

I don't know yet !

capt.sparrow
2nd Feb 2004, 18:47
hello do you have a pulse?
Bad attitude?
Can you read and write a little?
2 out 3 well done you've got the job

YYZ
2nd Feb 2004, 19:48
FF
Out of interest what is the low pay? (the general area's fine?)
:rolleyes:

flyingfletch
2nd Feb 2004, 20:46
its around Ģ5 an hour which includes all shift pay etc but with only 25hrs a week on your contract it doesn't make much a week.

I know there is opportunity to get more hours but you never know what might happen.

Little Blue
2nd Feb 2004, 22:02
Still nowt from baby?
I know that they will be taking on again....as always !!!

BEST L/CONTROLLER
3rd Feb 2004, 05:57
Got it in one mate!!!

Not sure about bad attitude though, but spot on with the other remarks lol!!

CHEERS!!!!!:ok:

YYZ
3rd Feb 2004, 17:52
FF
Ģ5.00 per hour!! Whatever happened to minimum wages??:{

jonathang
5th Feb 2004, 02:33
Just wondered if there were any Servisair Dispatcher's who could give the head's up whats involved interview wise.

Also whats a typical day for you guys?

Thanks

BEST L/CONTROLLER
5th Feb 2004, 23:48
hahahahaha,,,,,,,,last paragraph spot on, especially about the radio thing,,,lol,,, oh and the jacket.

It does depend where he is working with regard to Airbridge etc. I take it A16 your at either MAN,LGW,BHX,GLA, with regard to doing checkin first, this also must be the operation at proper airports coz in the regional ones they have anyone from the street, that's exactly what I was 9yrs ago.

CHEERS!!!!!!:ok:

jonathang
7th Feb 2004, 00:23
alpha16,

Yeh have heard from puffy :)

Thanks for the reply this all sounds very familiar lol

Cheers

nosewheelfirst
8th Feb 2004, 20:34
The three week training course you have to do before starting on check-in or dispatch, is it full time or part-time or on the job training.

Cheers

nosewheelfirst
9th Feb 2004, 02:56
ive got an interview at gla this wed, not sure if ill be able to take it tho as im also a full time student.

elephant
10th Feb 2004, 05:29
I think it would be impossible to juggle being a student with even a part time job at an airport, due to the weird shifts, u can't just say I want to work at this time, this time and this time, but hey, its worth a try!

I spent a couple of unhappy months working for Servisair, as with any job there were highs and lows. The majority of the people I worked with were fantastic but there were also the lows. Some mornings I would turn up at the airport and find that there wern't enough people in to cover check in for the flights, so I was left to start checking in a 757 charter on my own, until the person who hadn't come in was woken up or they had found cover! I also felt there was a culture of them and us between the PSA's and Supervisors - despite being short staffed on check in they wouldn't leave the office to help and they would often overrule your decisions on excess baggage, despite telling the passenger that they had to pay it! We were also short staffed at the gates - boarding aircrafts off stand alone!

But despite the critisims I had some great laughs working for the company! But when you have to be at work for 3am for a 10 hour shifts for Ģ5 an hour you soon start to ask if its worth it. I asked myself that and decided it wasn't and I left to find alternative employment!

BEST L/CONTROLLER
10th Feb 2004, 23:29
Itīs not that much of a problem being a student and having a part time employment, Iīm not a student myself but I do the rosters for Servisair LBA and we work around it just fine, granted at some stations you might not be able to mix and match your shifts, but we arnīt a proper airport so that donīt matter.

With regard to the pay, 5pounds an hr isnīt great but people know this before they start, now there is nothing that pisses me off more than, from a roster agentīs point of U, someone knowing that the pay is **** to start for 2 weeks and leave coz she/he canīt live with the wage or canīt handle the hours,

DONĻT START IN THE FIRST BLOODY PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thatīs my gripe over with now.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

nosewheelfirst
10th Feb 2004, 23:59
They know I am a student and I also mentioned in my application letter when I am availabe for work. As they are recruiting temp staff for the summer period ie when I have my three month vacation ill be able to work anytime, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem.
As you say, you never know untill you try.
Pay may be Ģ5 per hour but thus 80p more than what im getting at the momment :)
Im in it for the experience anyway and not the pay.

jimbols6
12th Feb 2004, 21:20
Servisair have special contracts call AD-HOC which means they can call upon you when they are short staffed (which is all the time usually) and when they need holidays covering. You could try and get them to put up on one when you go back to uni, so you should get a few hours a week that can fit in and around uni.

yes the pay is ****, but at least ull probably be earning a bit more than your other student mates as most of them will probable have ****ty low paid bar jobs. Also you get a job which involves some real responsiblity and you get a foot in door in the aviation industry.
Cheers:ok:

Dude~
20th Feb 2004, 23:29
Isn't the pay with Swissport at LHR a bit better than Ģ5/hr for same positions?

nosewheelfirst
21st Feb 2004, 00:12
Just to let you know, I got the job and I am going straight into dispatch training on the 1st of March at GLA :)

jimbols6
22nd Feb 2004, 20:56
is it possible to go straight into dispatch for swissport at LHR??:suspect:

witchdoctor
23rd Feb 2004, 18:51
Anybody know what the operation is like at Newcastle?

I'm applying for a part-time dispatchers job there, so it would be interesting to know.

Oh, and wages wise, it's a damn site more than working in a shop and you get to play with a/c too.:}

speedbird_heavy
11th Mar 2004, 19:11
So it's not just Cardiff that has the ****e radios. Good old Motorola's they have a "line of site" range of about 300Meters so if you are on a remote stand be prepared to use your own mobile phone to find out whats happening.

The load sheets and load plans tend to be completed by ops staff and not yourself (unless you are load control trained). You just check over them and get them signed etc...

Be prepared to go on the checkin desk a few times as the job title is "Passenger Dispatch Agent". Also be prepared for lots of stress as you check in a filght, turn-a-round 2 flights at the same time and help board them as not enough staff have been rostered. After those two hours there is 4 hours of doing bu99er all. Then they all come back together from PMI/AGP/ALC with (Britannia especially) 40 WCHR's on board and 3 staff to meet them.

Watch out for captains who think they are god, first officers who think they are captains, No 1's who think they are inteligent, cabin crew who think they are No 1's and always kick it away before you pick it up (you never know who's behind you).

Ok the pay is ****e but you will enjoy it and have a good laugh at punters that tell you they have seen Airport/Airline on telly and know what to do/say.

Im going into my third summer so I must enjoy it.

BEST L/CONTROLLER
24th Mar 2004, 18:55
I agree with everuthinh you said there, also LBA have the same ****e radios!!

CHEERS!!!!!!

:ok:

speedbird_heavy
24th Mar 2004, 20:10
Ahh yes the good old Motorola GP300.

Here it is in all its glory
http://personales.jet.es/colinlowe/gp300.gif

codeco
3rd Apr 2004, 21:29
We've got 'em at BRS too, they're crap!. Ours are colour coded, lol, red for 'mainline', orange for the easy team and i believe yellow for ramp.

regards

FinalsToLand
4th Apr 2004, 22:48
witchdoctor check ur pm's dude.

F.T.L

Heathrow09L
14th Apr 2004, 08:16
Worked for BA T4 LHR, they were fantastic, you did have some horrible A6's Senior Staff, but all my colleagues were great, on flights to:

LOS
BOM
TLV

We had to charge a lot of excess baggage, but you will always get support from your senior staff and colleagues, a supervisor has never over ruled me on excess baggage and h/lugge, which is good because if they did it makes you look like a fool.

BA Staff travel, learn centres are great.

Good luck.