PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF 757 nose gear fail

1279shp
20th Jan 2004, 16:03
From XTRA home page (http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3882-3013088,00.html) . Go here and listen to the audio that I've highlighted here to hear what a modern aviation reporter sounds like!

@@@@

The pilot of an Air Force Boeing 757 forced to make an emergency landing says he has complete confidence in the aircraft.

The plane was due to do a flying display over the airfield at Matamata but the crew of five detected a problem with the nose wheel of the aircraft.

RNZAF spokesman Squadron Leader Ric Cullinane says the 757 turned back to Whenuapai airbase north of Auckland and during the journey various checks were made.

Once at Whenuapai, they circled while working out a way to lock down the landing gear.

Wing Commander Tony Davies says he had faith the gear would not let him down.

Baden Campbell reports from Whenuapai Air Base north of Auckland following an emergency landing by an RNZAF Boeing 757.

He says the ground crew confirmed everything was fine and gave them permission to land.

The 757 landed safely at the base just before three o'clock.

Wing Commander Davies suspects it was an electrical fault which initially prevented the nose wheel from locking in place

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
21st Jan 2004, 05:52
Saw this on TV1 News last night.

They had no difficulty in finding some idiot to tell them what a frightening situation it was. You would think nobody had ever successfully recovered an aircraft with a nosewheel fault before. I'm sure it is possible to snap a Boeing in half by dumping it on the runway, but I think most Boeing pilots have a bit more skill than that.

I was wondering if it is legal to use a recording of Air Traffic Control transmissions in the way they did.

Anyway, well done to all involved.:ok:

wessex19
21st Jan 2004, 07:02
I thought it was a critical situation for the RNZAF when 50% of their strategic jet airlift capability was in jepeordy!!!!:ok:

Felix Lighter
21st Jan 2004, 20:28
Personally I liked the bit that said "The pilot WGCDR TD is a Gulf War Veteran"

.............what has that got to do with the price of cheese?

Is this important to the average punter - should I perhaps state my resume on my initial PA.......Im sure the punters would like to know that Ive successfully landed 6 out of 7 major emergencies! Well, perhaps not!

Such a non event the scaremongering press corps had to make it sound as dramatic as poss, I guess.

Borneo Wild Man
22nd Jan 2004, 20:47
The Alternate Gear Extend switch works wonders,its mentioned in the QRH Non Normals under GEAR DISAGREE.
Enshala TD!:ok: