PDA

View Full Version : Huey Incident ?

Danger Boy
20th Jan 2004, 14:11
Fact or Fiction:

Rumours are abounding in the SA flying fraternity that the Cape Town based Huey experienced an engine failure over the week-end!:(

Any truth to all of this?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Goffel
20th Jan 2004, 15:27
ENGINE FAILURE.....You should have seen it.

It was really spectacular.

Over the sea,no floats,20 foot above the waves in a howling SE,full of thrill seekers,no life-jackets.

Man,you should have seen the look on peoples faces as the pilot pulled off the most unbelievable recovery.

Unbelievable story as well.

What I do know is that they had a compressor hiccup,and as with all PROFESSIONAL companies,SAFETY came first,and as a result the Huey is being looked at and the pilot is tanning topless on the beach untill the Huey is deemed fit.

Well done to them for putting safety first and not the money as some of the other chopper geeks in Cape Town do.:E

ANVAK
20th Jan 2004, 16:20
Sounds more "lucky" than "professional" to me.
Over the sea, no floats, 20 foot above the waves in a howling SE, full of thrill seekers, no lifejackets
Very, very lucky....

clipboard
20th Jan 2004, 16:43
Fact of the matter is that the Huey was sabotaged!!!! I interviewed the owner yesterday, and here is his side of the story. From the horses mouth.

For the first time since operations began during December 2002, the Huey slept out on the WIN pad at the Waterfront last Friday night. The reason for this I understand, was that it was scheduled for an air to air film flight at 07.00am Saturday.

Apparently the owner and the engineer arrived at 06.00am, pre-flighted the machine, and took off for the Delta 200, where it was to be joined by the film ship. After some 20 minutes of uneventful flying, it was agreed that a landing will be made in order to discuss further filming. On approach to the landing site, the pilot encountered what he thought was a compressor stall. He shut down the engine after landing, and instructed the engineer to inspect it. The Inlet Guide Vanes were inspected, and the engineer noticed something sinister. It appeared that the engine had ingested some foreign object, as the damage to the IGV's were evident.

The pilot then decided not to fly the helicopter, but to arrange for road transportation on a low bed back to base. Whilst the aircraft was being prepared for road transportation, which meant removing the main and tail rotor blades, an opposition helicopter landed there and inquired what was going on. Approximately 1 hour later, the Huey Club started getting calls from newspapers, magazines, pilots, aviation companies et al, as a rumour was doing the rounds that the Huey had crashed killing all 16 on board, and stories ranged from engine failure to total loss etc. Elvis even went so far as to fly the press out to the site in his LongRanger, teling the pilot John Eccles to hover close around the Huey, therefore blowing it full of sand and dust. Now if that is airmenship, I don't know. It again proves to what lengths the Huey opposition wil go to to shoot it down. When John Eccles was phoned by the owner last night, all he could say was to "speak to my boss". The actions are bordering on total idiocy. Maybe it is to be expected from the kind of people one is dealing with here.

Anyway, the Huey is back in its Culemborg hangar, free of any damage. The engineers have opened the engine, and it is an established fact that the engine ingested a foreign object. Sabotage has not been ruled out, as a piece of metal bar (Not an engine part) about 10 mm thick and 15mm long, had been found embedded in the rear section of the turbine wheel housing.

Very strange indeed!

In the mean time, The Huey Club has been contacted by the press, the TV, the Police on information regarding this occurence. It is clear from the calls received, that the opposition h as once again decided to go overboard on the issue, and to sensationalize it as much as they can. Little do they know that any publicity is good publicity.

:ok:

francois marais
20th Jan 2004, 22:34
:yuk: I am now totally convinced that there are some really sick people out there in this industry. Real mental cases. Not eccentric cases, true mental cases. Thank God these people do not fly helicopters and transport passengers, as one can only but wonder what will happen if the "brain" disengages!

One cannot comprehend that a compressor stall due to the ingestion of a foreign object can create so much sensation in the Cape helicopter business. You have no idea how many people have phoned me about the Huey's landing in the Delta 200 last Saturday. Unbelievable!

I have decided to engage a public relations expert so that we can once again cash in on the publicity created by our "sleazeball" friend(s) based on worthless rubbish and fabrications. I personally, can not understand why such an event has to be so news worthy. So news-worthy that a television news anchor wants to interview me about the "crash that killed 16 people, the Huey that rolled on its side, the earth that was ploughed up in the Delta 200 on landing, the Main Rotor Blades that chopped off the tailboom, the incident that was not filed with the CAA (I got news for you little Elvis) the helicopter that's been flown in defiance of a court order, the 16 phonecalls made to ATC by a Waterfront operator, a letter hand delivered to an ATC facility by the opposition, and so many , many more bullsh1t stories that have come from total idiots. You tell me if normal people will carry on like this???

For those of you who have phoned about the facts, thanks. To those (and you know who you are) who have spread the most inconceivable bullsh1:mad: t, I really feel sorry for you. You are not normal.

If all goes well, the Huey should be flying again by Thursday.:ok:

bladestrap
20th Jan 2004, 22:54
:} :yuk: :mad:

Someone famous once wrote:

"Small minds talk about small things, big minds talk about big ideas". Makes one thinks huh?

I have personally only been involved with the aviation scene here in Cape Town for the past 4 weeks. Its mind boggling to find that no one has anything good to say about the other. Its also a great pity that 4 operators working from such a confined facility in the V&A Waterfront, can not work together or in harmony.

I think the Huey Xtreme Club is a unique concept, and I have no doubt that it has worked well for its club members. People like things different, and the Huey is something different. I would much rather take my family on a Huey ride into the bush than charter a "boring Jetranger" to Cape Point. Different strokes for diferent folkes.

Good luck Huey people. I'm sure you'll get thru all of the negative issues, and grow from strength to strength.

B Sousa
20th Jan 2004, 22:57
"Sabotage has not been ruled out, as a piece of metal bar (Not an engine part) about 10 mm thick and 15mm long, had been found embedded in the rear section of the turbine wheel housing."

Competition is one thing but if this came from someones hand then there are some folks out there who should be sitting in the grey bar hotel waiting to see which Bubba they will have to sleep with tonight.
I find it hard to believe, but not impossible, that someone would commit a criminal act just for a few dollars (Rand). It looks like Francois' Piloting skill have saved the day. I have flown with him and he is a "Good Stick". Also with over a couple thousand hours in Hueys, I can say its a pretty forgiving aircraft. The engines however are used to sucking air not metal. If someone is criminally responsible, I do hope the name hits the pages of PPrune.
Lets end this stupidity before someone gets hurt or worse.

Goffel
21st Jan 2004, 05:10
ANVAK.

What do you mean "very lucky".

Read what I wrote and properly digest.

"UNBELIEVEABLE STORY".

As I said,Professional and safety concious.

If you look at any of the photo's on the net,you will see that every smiling gooby is wearing a life-jacket and if you read the inserts,there have been complaints that the Huey flies a bit toooooooo high and not over the sea.

By the way,the last paragraph is believable.

:mad:

clipboard
21st Jan 2004, 14:32
The BOON & GOON Show

The circus continues.

So the Huey hit the Afrikaans newspaper "Die Burger" today.

I am seriously beginning to believe that Elvis has genuinely got something to do with this whole story.

Why would someone with "no interest" in someone elses business jump in his helicopter and fly his staff and the media out to a location where an opposition helicopter has landed? Then proceed to hover low over it and blow it full of sand. What an :mad: hole pilot!!:yuk: (Just shows you what a pilot will do for money. Shame on you Johnnie) Why would he make 20 calls to an ATC facilty to request information on the flight path of the said helicopter, whether ATC had contact with the pilot of the helicopter, whether a report was filed with the CAA about the "Incident"? Why would the very same man hand deliver a letter to an ATC facility about the occurrence? Are these the actions of a person not bothered about what other operators do? Hell no Sir! I think the actions of this man is obsessive! I do not recall any of his "opposition" flying to the location when his Jetranger was involved in a "forced" landing".

Can it be possible that after all of that, this man is not behind this whole story?

I've been told that he films each arrival and departure of the Huey, how many pax boards the machine, how many disembarks the machine, who pilots it etc. Are these actions of a man minding his own business or what? Maybe he sits at night and watches the videos of how the Huey is destroying his business????:{

This is also the man that has laid a charge against the Huey owner for public indecency.:p That after about 5 Huey fans "brown eyed" him. :ok:

All I can say that the Boon & Goon circus has hit town in a big way. What next????:mad:

francois marais
21st Jan 2004, 15:21
Hi Bert, thanks for your input.

You've been here, seen the operation, flew the Huey etc, and you know how we go about conducting our business. Fact of the matter is that some people can simply not come to terms with the success of the Huey, and are out to malign it in each and every possible way. False allegations and idiotic rumours are just a small part as to what lengths these boys will go. It really sucks!

Just to set the record straight, I was not flying the Huey last Saturday. It was Gary. There was absolutely nothing sinister about the whole exercise. He performed a normal and usual landing, and during the flare for touch down encountered a compressor stall. Well, the rest is history. There were no pax on board, only the 2 crew members. No one got hurt, the machine was not damaged in any way (The nespaper pictures shows that as well) so I personally can not understand the sensation. There must be a reason for it?????

Sabotage is definately not ruled out. We are considering the options at this time. Bear in mind that sabotage is attempted murder, because if I sabotage your aircraft, I'm trying to murder you. THAT is the saddest part of all. Has the Huey now become such a threat that some people have to stoop to these levels?

what next????

ANVAK
21st Jan 2004, 16:18
Take it easy Goffel - with the subsequent explanations by Francois et al it certainly appears that (a) the Cape Town scene is not a good one, reminding one of 3rd world taxi hustlers rather than aviators and (b) should the wild accusations have any thruth, the Huey was indeed lucky...

Deanw
21st Jan 2004, 19:12
From Die Burger newspaper (apologies for the Afrikaans, but the story didn't seem to make the other Cape Town papers).

The only 'new' item of interest is that stones were thrown at the opposition helicopter :oh: Thank you, thank you very much :E

BLO het glo vlerke van Stormers se helikopter geknip
21/01/2004 00:40 - (SA)

KAAPSTAD. - Die helikopter waarin die Stormers na 'n oefenkamp in Bainskloof gebring is, is vroe'r vandeesmaand glo deur die Burgerlugvaartowerheid (BLO) belet om te vlieg omdat die owerheid na bewering verhinder is om inspeksies uit te voer.

Intussen het die BLO strafregtelike klagte teen die Huey Extreme-klub ingedien weens dié weiering.

Volgens die BLO is die Huey sedert 7 Januarie belet om te vlieg.

Mnr. Gavin Lewis, woordvoerder van die Stormers, het gister bevestig die span is uit Kaapstad met die Huey-helikopter na hul oefenkamp gebring.

Dit volg midde-in 'n twis tussen twee Kaapse helikopterondernemings nadat een se vlie'nier die ander se helikopter glo met klippe bestook het.

Mnr. Ernest Macdonald, eienaar van Sport Helicopters in die Waterfront, beweer mnr. Gary van der Merwe, voorsitter van die Huey Extreme-klub, het Maandag by Bloubergheuwel klippe na sy helikopter gegooi.

Van der Merwe het gister erken 'n paar klippe is gegooi terwyl Sport se helikopter bo die Huey gehang het. "Hulle het sand en stof opgejaag. Ons het hulle gevra om pad te gee."

Macdonald het gesê sy personeel het Maandag na die Huey naby Bloubergheuwel gaan kyk nadat hulle verneem het die helikopter het Saterdagoggend daar geland.

Volgens Van der Merwe het die Huey se luginlaatstelsel iets ingesluk tydens Saterdag se landing. Hy het besluit om om veiligheidsredes die helikopter per vragmotor na die loods te neem.

Van der Merwe het gesê die klub het in Desember 'n hooggeregshofbevel teen die BLO gekry wat bepaal hy mag die helikopter bedryf totdat die BLO 'n geldige rede gee waarom dit op die grond moet bly. Die Huey het reeds 14 inspeksies van die BLO ondergaan.

Van der Merwe het beweer die BLO het die laaste inspeksie gekanselleer.

Volgens die BLO is inspekteurs toegang tot sommige dokumente van die Huey geweier - (Carel van Dyk)

Danger Boy
21st Jan 2004, 22:42
Nothing wrong with mooning the opposition:ok:

It reminds of an age old Chopper tradition to moon any flypast! Greatest satisfaction though was knowing you had a jet jock behind the controlls :} :}

Just been speaking to a colleageu of mine who worked on a free-lance base for some time at the Waterfront in the Cape. Apparently the owner of the Huey, within his first few days of starting business at the Waterfront, approached a whole group of the then pilot and operators who had been standing together. His recollection is that before even introducing himself, the owner had promised to close down, if not buy out all the other operators within a matter of months. And that was a few years ago . My colleague said the arrogant and aggressive approach did not go down too well with all concerned.

So if all is to be believed, it would seem like this could be a slight case of sleeping in the bed (read environment), you make for yourself. Hence the blatant over eager antics of the opposition to slate this Huey and it's operation.

That in no way condones any forms of sabotage; and IF that can be proved to be the case, then I hope they throw away the key ! :( :( :(

Congrats to the pilots concerned for putting her down safely.:ok:

Goffel
22nd Jan 2004, 03:32
:8 SAGA THICKENS.

A certain person who identifies himself to someone in the music industry,was last night seen at a certain GAY CLUB called the Bronx.

Now there is nothing sinister about being at a gay club,

BUT

To be seen wearing a mini-skirt and fishnet stockings and to be also seen slow dancing with one of his so called pilots,who he was incidentally seen to be kissing such so called pilot.

Now this is the same arsehole who is making threats and sending lots of rumours around the flying fraternity about the Huey.

Who do we now believe.........A cross dressing transvestite who wears mini-skirts and fish-net stockings and who smooches his staff,who is hell bent on destroying the Huey's reputable reputation AND who has a wife sitting at home

OR........do we believe the guys in the know??????????

I rest my case. :E

B Sousa
22nd Jan 2004, 06:41
"So if all is to be believed, it would seem like this could be a slight case of sleeping in the bed (read environment), you make for yourself. Hence the blatant over eager antics of the opposition to slate this Huey and it's operation."

Arrogance is part of Being a Helicopter Pilot. Some may not like it.................BUT The (possible)item that is (alleged) to have been the cause of the problem, apppears to be not part of any aircraft I have ever heard of. Further that the Atomic Weight of this (possible) item is such that no Huey could suck it off the engine deck even if it had found its way there. Which leads me to believe that someone used his god given Dick Skinners to place it in the engine inlet. This by the way means placing it behind Engine Inlet Covers.
F:mad:cking Criminal is the only answer.

clipboard
22nd Jan 2004, 18:20
:yuk: The Cape Times published a story on the Huey today. Again all information comes from Elvis. One can only but wonder why?:yuk:

This is the man that has been driving the fabrications on the Huey.

This is the man that has:

1. Bombarded the CAA with millions of complaints over the last 13 months.

2. Wrote a letter to the ATC requesting information on the Huey "occurrence" "in the interest of aviation safety" so that he can lay the necessary charges.......????

3. Wrote letters to the Minister of Transport and a hundred others in the tourism industry complaining about the Huey.

4. This is the man who operates taxis and refers to the Hueys as "the Mini Bus Taxis of the sky" :} (Why am I not surprised?)

5. This is the man who doubts the Huey's insurance, but has no insurance whatsoever on his own taxis. (Wonder what will happen to the pax if involved in an accident?)

6. This is the man who films the Huey each day, and alledges that its certified for 9 pax and must be flown by 2 crew. (Rumour has it that he admitted that the Huey has almost bankcrupted him

7. This is the man who have for the last 12 months told everyone he has bought a Huey, but have still not produced it. (The Huey obsession clearly shines through here!! Now the videoing makes sense.)

8. This is the man that has contacted a television news anchor to do a story on TV about the Huey so that he can promote his "Elvis image" on TV, and so that all the "King's" fans in SA can see his "new" implanted sidies.

9. This is the man that has alledged to the News Anchor that the Huey Club and its staff have bribed the CAA, and that the Commissioner and other senior CAA officials are on the payroll of the Huey Extreme Club. (Nice one Gary!:ok: Now we know why you keep on flying:p )

Come on Flying People out there, lets do a poll! Can these actions be regarded as obsessive, or not?

:mad: :} :E :mad: sucks!

Deanw
22nd Jan 2004, 19:16
From todays Cape Crimes, er, sorry, Cape Times:

Huey and cry over operator's right to fly 1970's helicopter

A BATTLE between two rival Cape Peninsula helicopter tour operators broke into open war
this week when the owner of one tried to stone his rival's helicopter while it was trying to land.

Sport Helicopters and the Huey Extreme Club have been engaged in a long dispute over whether a Huey helicopter - built in the United States in the 1970s - is safe to fly.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) says it grounded the Huey on January 7 because the Huey Extreme Club would not allow a safety inspection of the aircraft. The club claims the grounding is invalid and has continued to fly the llelicopter.

The stoning occurred on Saturday when the Huey was stranded near Bloubergstrand.

A helicopter from Sport Helicopters flew over the Huey while it was being loaded onto a truck to be taken back to its hangar. The Sport pilot tried to land his helicopter nearby, but had to abort the landing when Gary van der Merwe, the Huey's owner, threw stones at his aircraft.

Ernest Macdonald, who owns Sport Helicopters, says if one of the stones had hit the helicopter's rear rotor, it could have led to disaster. The CAA is investigating the incident.

Francois Marais, vice president of the Huey Extreme Club, says Van der Merwe only threw
the stones after he had motioned to the pilot not to land as he was kicking up a lot of dust, making it hard to secure the Huey on the truck.

The Huey had to be trucked back to the hangar because of a mechanical difficulty Van der
Merwe says he noticed when landing at Blouberg.

There is a dispute between the CAA and the Huey Extreme Club about whether the club is a
commercial operation that must abide by strict commercial regulations. Marais says it is a non-profit club that rents the helicopter from one of Van der Merwe's other companies at an
hourly rate.

The CAA has laid charges against the club for contravening the grounding order.

After the club won a high court interdict against a previous CAA grounding in December, the CAA again grounded the Huey when its inspectors were not allowed to examine it on January 7. Van der Merwe owns seven other Hueys that he hopes to restore and return to the air in the next few years.

Danger Boy
22nd Jan 2004, 23:09
Got to admit that where there is smoke, there has to be a fire! Excuse the punn:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Still can't understand why the SACAA has done an about turn on all of this. Surely it's up to them to clear up this mess, for everyones sake, and pronto,pronto!:bored:

Alot of people are dependant on what appears to be a good tourist market down in the Cape! This kind of poor publicity makes our Industry look like an absolute joke! Let alone should a tragedy occur (pray not); and these issues haven't been resolved, then the whole Cape tourist aviation industry and not just the helicopters could be Internationally blacklisted !:ugh: :ugh:

Come on SACAA lets sort this mess out.:confused: :confused:

B Sousa
22nd Jan 2004, 23:37
This is an International Forum. You have to believe that Major Travel Companies throughout the world continually search for forums so that they may sort out areas of interest for their customers. It will not take long for the word to get around to steer clear of Helicopter Tours in Capetown.
Heres hoping Elvis has a Deep Pocket or can really play a Guitar......Never met the man myself, but I run into his wannabe cousins every day on the Vegas Strip. Most are about Three Chips short of a Happy Meal.

George Tower
23rd Jan 2004, 00:46
It seems like something out of episode of Dallas! According to everything written on here it certianly sounds like a soap opera. It is a shame however because there are real aviation lovers who will lose out or see their businesses receive a lot of bad publicity as Bert points out.

The two things that I find most serious though are the allegations of sabotage (as that's attempted murder!) and the appaling airmanship of the other chopper who hindered the recovery of the Huey.

Very interesting how a completely different view of events was shown in the Cape Times.....it does seem rather biased.

I hope for sake of all you chopper lovers that the whole sorry episode is quickly rsolved but somehow I think this is going to run on quite a bit.

Goldfish Jack
23rd Jan 2004, 01:18
The time has now come to put at end to this posting.

I can remember many years ago when the same Elvis tried to start his charter operation from the airport. He openly broke EVERY SINGLE rule there was to break, including flying on revenue charter flights with a PPL, with himself as PIC.

He was a very much another operator of note and it amazed me how me managed to last so long and did not write off any aircraft. He was an honest as a dead Elvis and certainly a person of note to avoid.

He had great plans and it was quite interesting to try and work out what he was smoking with all these plans. The fact that he is going on like he is, can only indicate that he has some sort of (financial) problems and he is trying to detract from the real problem. It is quite bloody pathetic the way this a^%$#&*e is carrying on - like a little kid. Hey Elvis GROW UP and try and act like a man, not a b(**&y fake fairy dressed up as Elvis, driving around in a pink fake cadillac.

Let us all support Francois and the great job he is doing. It is really great to see such a classic chopper around and it certainly makes head move whenever one sees it. It is flown by a great bunch of pilots, who have many many hours of experience and are certainly no fools. It is time we all stood up to this taxi operator and put him in his place. It is so pathetic it is just laughable. I wonder who he is paying at the CAA to help him, because it is so obvious. Come on Francois, do not get disheartened - you are doing a great job and you have got may vote any day ( and a lot of others as well, i know that)

If Elvis had no sinister plans, let us see him put the cards on the table, produce his Huey and get on and fly. After all what is wrong with healthy opposition? Elvis did not like it, so obviously his namesake is still relishing in the past!!!! The time for SPORTS has come to end end, now is the time to produce the results.

Come on Francois hang in there - you will win in the end.

clipboard
23rd Jan 2004, 14:22
:D The saga continues!:E

Rumour has it that this man was recently under investigation by the Air Sevice Licencing Board for not filing flight returns about his business. The Board views this in a serious light, as "liquidity" issues are raised here. Why does he break the law, but are always accusing others? I have it on very good authority that all is NOT so well down there at his Waterfront office. Most of his long standing crew have quit and are now working for other companies. Regulations are often violated and covered up by his son who incidently calls everyone "Meneer". Come on CAA, get your butt into gear and inspect this operation!

There is also a rumour that this man is in deep financial dire straits, and that he vowed if he went broke, he would drag the rest of the helicopter business down with him. For that very reason, he is creating this negative publicity.:E (And NEGATIVE its been.)

Rumour has it that this man filed a charge against the men that "mooned" him on December 18 last year, and these men will be appearing in Court soon on an charge of "Indecent exposure".:D What a joke!:yuk: One can only but wonder why he took offence? Everyone on the pad loved it, and thought it was a very humorous gesture. He OBVIOUSLY has no sense of humor. (Not what one would expect of a world class entertainer! ;-) Come on Elvis, get a life!

Furthermore, he has now turned the story around that the Huey owner tried to "kill" him and his son by throwing a stone at his helicopter. This to avert the possibility that he may eventually be involved in a sabotage investigation. Trying to shift focus???? A formal charge was laid with the CAA and the Police by him in this regard. (The stone throwing) From the published picture taken from his helicopter, one can see that his pilot Johnnie Eccles, was hovering over the Huey during the recovery process, but not close enough to have a stone bring him down. (David, where were you and your "kettie" my man?) The man alledges that a stone hitting the tail rotor could have brought him down. For that reason, he contacted Cape Talk and asked them to do a story live on air (once again), so that he could opiniate himself on air, and tell the world to feel sorry for him, because his opposition tried to "kill" him. I think this guy is in love with his voice. (I'm all shook up, my man:{ ) Why don't you stick to driving your taxis my man, and if that bores you, stay in your recording studio where no one can see you bro!

The time has come for everyone in the aviation industry in SA to realise what sort of individual one is dealing with here. I mean, first of all he really thinks he's Elvis. That alone must tell you something about this man's pshycological make up!:confused:

Secondly, through his intense jealousy and obsessiveness with the Huey, both him and his kid are consistently fabricating stories about the Huey and its operation, obviously with the intend to defame it. This REALLY brings a lot of bad publicity to the V&A Operations, and it is a fact that he is to :mad: to realise that it has also affected HIS business!:E

So what next? Come on people, sooner or later any logically minded person must draw the conclusion that all of this has been a tit for tat scenario, and that this guy should not be taken seriously.

Until next time!:ok:

HedgePig
23rd Jan 2004, 14:47
Greetings Folks...

I read with interest (as i usually do) the ongoings of this bizarre state of affairs...

I do not wish to detract from what may be VERY serious allegations, including sabotage et al, however, i ask that one small consideration be given as to why this is such a hot topic for ALL in the aviation community.

The CAA promulgated a section (96) allowing the non-millionaires to purchase ex-military aircraft and operate them (limited) on the experimental (ZU) register in a STRICTLY PRIVATE CAPACITY. This is the ONLY country in the world where this happens. This was progressive and very forward thinking by our CAA.

The simple fact that a commercial operator is capitalising on a loophole in the system for gain, where there are other operators respecting the system (well, generally respecting!), does make it an emotional issue.

The chaps at HAMS are an upright crowd, Francois is a really decent bloke, who, like everyone else, just wants to earn an honest wage. Guys like Elvis, feel that the honest wage is where the wheels come off. I have no doubt that HAMS would never allow a Huey to fly in an unsafe condition, thats culpable homicide, problem is, it's STILL a ZU-REG machine...

Bear in mind, operations like Thunder City, which operate under a similar dispensation, have spent over R55 Million in a safe operation (thats without the jets!), now face closure through tactics employed by a perceivably renegade operator, who admits his capital investment in the Hueys has been marginal.

Gary (not Francios i understand) has a colourful history when it comes to bending the rules, as does Elvis!

Its not about the compressor stalls, the stone thowing, the mooning, the insurance etc, it's about the CAA not making the rules clear, allowing some to profit, whilst frustrating others, and as long as the rules are grey, Gary will fly "illegaly" and Elvis will pop a guitar string.

That's my bit!

bladestrap
23rd Jan 2004, 16:26
Hedgepig, welcome to pprune. I am also new to this forum, and very new to the Cape Aviation scene. You ask why this is such a hot topic?

Well, all I can say is that it appears that it has been made into a hot topic by Elvis & Gary. It is clear to me now that this is nothing other than a personal feud being hammered out here on the pprune.

I personally met Francois who most certainly appears to be a very decent, down to earth guy. Having had numerous meetings with him about flying the Huey, and questioning him about the other guys, he has always told me that he is not interested in the politics, and I have never heard a foul word coming from his mouth about the other operators. What he has said is that some of these guys must really be crazy to sensationalise a petty thing to the extend they have.

I am of the opinion that this a real tit for tat story. Bottom line is that Elvis is jealous. Both him and his son can't handle the Huey. Francois once remarked that it will be great if Elvis does buy a Huey, because then hopefully he will leave the Huey Club alone and concentrate on running his.

Maybe Goldfish Jack is right. This posting should come to an end now. Its really become a bit messy. It once shows that very few people have the courage to face each other man to man, but would rather use a forum such as this, to attack each other.

Come on guys, grow up, and become an asset to aviation, not a statistic!!!!

Sayagain...?
24th Jan 2004, 22:41
FOD, compressor stall, precautionary landing, decision to truck back instead of flying, WELL DONE!

Was the hovering so close to the Huey thereafter necessary? Come on John! We know you are professional. Don't hide behind your boss. Tell us yourself.

Keep up the pioneering work, Win Helicopters, and keep it as safe as you have done so far.

Hang in there Franscois and the boys, we love the Huey!

:ok:

Gunship
26th Jan 2004, 19:13
As most know I have been following the "Huey story" with interest and it just amazes me at what lenghts some operators "might " have gone. ( I take the sabotage still as a rumour).

Francois and Gary take it from the grey man .. do not let any stone unturned into this incident.

I would have personally laid a charge of possible sabotage against no one in particular - just lay a charge and then the charge must be investigated as sabotage is broad.

It is up to the cops how deep they can dig into it all.

But this rubbish must stop - lives was at risk and that is no mooning :D

Have a safe week and congrats on a great piece of airmanship Gary ! :ok:

francois marais
27th Jan 2004, 01:18
:D :ok: "Are you lonesome tonight, coz you saw the Huey flying tonight..............(Saw little Elvis run out onto his porch the moment he heard the sound of the Huey.)

The Huey is back in service, and the test flying was completed this afternoon. All systems are normal, and it has been released back to service.

To all our friends, associates and club members who called and sent messages of support, thank you. To those who personally visited the AMO, thanks for all the support guys. Having a support base is what makes it all worthwhile, irrespective of what Elvis and his boy, or anyone else for that matter, has to say. At least we have serious cameraderie amongst our fellow Huey fans.

The Huey is back together again after some minor repairs to the engine. A couple of new turbine blades, some balancing etc. Well done to the engineers. You guys did a fine job.

Gary informed me today that the CAA will be conducting, by arrangement, an airworthiness inspection on the Huey this coming Wednesday. Hopefully they (the CAA) will see for themselves once again, that this aircraft is in great shape, that it is well maintained by very highly skilled and licenced engineers, and that Elvis' story of the machine being put together from "scrap parts out of Africa, and assembled in a pig sty" is purely a pipe dream.

Gunns, you're absolutely right about the sabotage issue. Gary laid a formal charge with the SAPS, and they will be investigating. The Waterfront Company has 24 hour CCTV surveilance on the pad, and hopefully some info will be derived from examining the tapes.

In the mean time, Elvis lost all the humor he owned, and laid a charge of public indecency against "the mooners", and Gary and "the mooners" will be attending a "mooning" identity parade later this week, so that the perpetrators can be brought to justice. :E :yuk: :} What a man!!!!

Gunship
27th Jan 2004, 01:52
Fantastic News FM :D

I wish Gary and co have "jippo guts" that morning and have a spurt or five at him ;)

Good luck - I know the Huey and you guys will pass on Wednesday - a pig sty nogal ... what a joke :p

All the best !

Viva the Huey ! :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jan 2004, 02:48
Confirm this Elvis character is somewhat graceful, a little light on his feet and a connoisseur of men's bottoms?:E

clipboard
27th Jan 2004, 14:32
SRT, my point exactly. You've hit the nail on the head:ok:
The boy is really a :{ and a :confused: :mad:

Congratulations Huey people.:ok: I hope you go from strength to strength. Wonder what the "Twister" will say if the 2nd Huey takes to the air next month????

Rumour has it that the news anchor who interviewed the Huey people and the "moaner", decided that it was not a newsworthy article, and decided to bin it. I would have loved to hear "his" side. It could only have been chaotic.

Frankie, I think that you should throw a party for the Huey fans.
Viva Huey!!!:D :ok:

bladestrap
27th Jan 2004, 14:37
:ok: Well done guys!
I wish you all the best for the future.
Its such a pity that the V&A Waterfront operators cannot except the fact that Gary came up with an idea that appeals to people, and that it has worked well for the Huey Club. Go on guys, knock em dead!!!:ok:

CaneRat
27th Jan 2004, 14:45
Mc Elvis and Little Mc Roat, the Huey is back. Hold your head high and be happy. You guys have your own aircraft to play with..(yup, your little toys)
Now but out and behave.....

clipboard
29th Jan 2004, 15:55
:D Saw the Huey flying this morning. Looking good!;)

I understand the CAA Airworthiness Inspectors spent the day yesterday inspecting the Huey and it's records.

Rumour has it that the CAA gentlemen were pleasantly surprised that the helicopter carried no bogus or fake parts, that logbooks and component cards were available, and that the helicopter had not been put together by bogus parts, or "scrap parts collected from the Ethiopian desert" as Elvis previously reported in his letters to the press, the CAA etc.

I guess the only thing fake in this entire matter is the "Fake King of Rock 'n Roll. Come on Elvis, get a real life my man!!!!:yuk: :}

Good luck Gary & Francois. I'm really looking forward to seeing the second Huey take to the sky next month. Eat your heart out Elvis!!!!:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ (I'm definately not all shook up, I love it!!:D