PDA

View Full Version : Brit girl arrested for bomb "joke"

airhead10
20th Jan 2004, 13:51
BRIT student Samantha Marson faced six months in an American jail last night after joking to an airport police officer that she had a bomb.

The cop was believed to have stopped the 21-year-old on the concourse at Miami International Airport.

A policeman based there said: “Samantha had a small rucksack on her back and was asked by an officer what was in it. She laughed and said, ‘I’ve got a bomb’, and he immediately handcuffed her and put her under arrest.

“She was in floods of tears and apologised three times but the officer was having none of it.”

American airports are on high alert for terror attacks.

The stupid remark sparked a full-scale alert and she was immediately thrown into custody.

Within hours Samantha, of Barnes, West London, was hauled before a judge in handcuffs and remanded to a holding centre packed with hardened criminals.

And last night she was facing six months in custody because she cannot pay her bail set at nearly £4,500.

The officer said: “As far as I’m aware she will have been transferred to Dade County jail to await trial.”

Her dad Jim, 75, of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, said: “We are beside ourselves with worry. She phoned at about 3am on Sunday and was hysterical — screaming and upset and in a terrible state. I called the police in Miami and was told that she’d been arrested because she’d dared to say the ‘B-word’.

“Clearly the Americans did not see the joke. She hardly looks like Osama Bin Laden.”

“But now she faces a long time in jail waiting for a trial which is certain to be a farce.”

Samantha had been in the States for three months with her boyfriend Charlie Schmidt, 26 — a sailor in the US Navy.

She was catching British Airways flight BA206 to Heathrow on Saturday to renew her visa so she could return.

A Miami police spokesman said last night: “This is something we take extremely seriously. Talk of bombs is no laughing matter.”

Foreign Office officials were seeking information on the case.

BA said: “We would strongly advise all passengers not to make any remarks which could be misinterpreted. The US authorities take them very seriously.”

Over reaction or justified?

Dop
20th Jan 2004, 14:15
You have to admit, that was a REALLY stupid thing to say!
Still don't think she should go to jail though. I suspect she's learned her lesson already.

Captain Sand Dune
20th Jan 2004, 14:19
As far as I'm aware the US airport authorities have frowned on people saying the "B" word in an airport terminal before 9/11 (or is that 11/9?!), moreso afterwards.
I assume this was not the first time this lass had travelled to the USA so ignorance is no excuse.
Harsh, but fair.

aviate1138
20th Jan 2004, 14:28
BA said: “We would strongly advise all passengers not to make any remarks which could be misinterpreted. The US authorities take them very seriously.”

Airhead10 asks Over reaction or justified?

Aviate 1138 says - Justified.

So security men have to now have a degree in psychology to determine in a split second whether the remark is a joke or are they maybe dealing with a psycho.
_ Stupid Brit girl has arrived in the real world, especially as American Security is still smarting from the Washington/UK flight live ammo mistake.

Aviate1138

airhead10
20th Jan 2004, 14:33
I believe there have been enough of these kind of incidents where people have been hauled up for making inappropriate remarks to warn you about this. I seem to recall cases at LHR where Customs have marched people off for making so called "jokes" about having a gun/bomb in their possession. In this heightened level of security it seems especially daft to make that remark in the US.

Having said that, the possible penalty she may receive does seem a little harsh. Warning and caution perhaps? May be they want to make an example of her to stop others doing this.

Civil Servant
20th Jan 2004, 14:34
Stupid girl!! The last thing anyone should say around an airport these days is the "B" word, or gun, or SAM or any such similar utterance. A country that confiscates crew tools, eg Leatherman, is bound to bang up someone who says they have a bomb.

What students consider funny, or even the great travelling masses, does not go down well in airport environments, it never did and it never will. The sooner people realise that the better it will be for everyone especially those charged with our security. What was the policeman supposed to do? Say "Yeah, right. On your way love". Headlines next day, bomb blast devastates XXXX airport, policeman arrested for failing to act when suspect said she had a bomb.

5by5
20th Jan 2004, 14:39
All this in the 'land of the brave, home of the free' and 'freedom of speach' :rolleyes:

Yep, the boogey man is out to get ya - and one wonders why ?! :E

frangatang
20th Jan 2004, 14:41
If she had looked like osama they probably wouldnt have
touched her.

Gingerbeer
20th Jan 2004, 14:49
Let me get this straight, she's 21, stupid, but obviously not a bomber as a quick look in her pack may have discovered ( ok you might want to use the bomb squad for that ) and for her 'crime' of stupidity we need her to spend 6 months in jail.....if stupidity is going to become a jailable offence I think we may need to build considerably more jails.

Grandpa
20th Jan 2004, 14:57
After she is a grownup she will have learned to flip the bird and could be kept in first class lounge.....but only in Brazil!

BEagle
20th Jan 2004, 15:32
A silly thing to say indeed.

But a totally disproportionate reaction from the authorities.

A few more tales of American heavy-handedness and people will start thinking twice about ever going there. There are already enquiries being made about holding business conventions in the Canaries rather than Florida because companies are increasingly anxious about the way their guests are 'welcomed' to the USA.

I hope that this silly girl isn't treated too harshly; she should have been marched off to a search area, her luggage checked thoroughly and should then have been given a severe talking to. Six months dodging the dikes in a federal slammer whilst her parents and boy friend worry themselves to death is more like the sort of thing you'd expect from a banana republic run by a fascist dictator.

Land of the free? Hmmm

Pointer
20th Jan 2004, 15:35
She should have said:

"no officer, i have some live ammo in my back-pack"

"Alright mam that's ok then, have a nice day"

And about the bigger jail...didn't the brits try that once in historie? i mean they used a whole continent and look what it turned into! :}

BEagle
20th Jan 2004, 15:46
If Columbus knew what the place was going to turn into, perhaps he'd have decided not to bother....

Sending Pom crims to Oz doesn't seem to have been a bad idea. Want a few thousand more? We can spare them....

Back to the thread, in that the girl was laughing when she spoke to the cop, it was pretty obviously not a serious answer. So why couldn't he just have said "Lady, I will ask you again, this time you will answer me seriously. WHAT IS IN YOUR BAG?" Or are they incapable of rational thought.

Rowardennan
20th Jan 2004, 15:50
Total overeaction

Perhaps it's bourne out of frustration at a distinct lack of success in arresting real bombers.. So lets take it out on some stupid tourist. Obviously it was a stupid thing to say,but I think that the circumstances in which the comment were made should have been considered. Applying the law in a rigid manner like that doesn't reflect well on anyone. Common sense is a virtue which seems to be missing in a lot of these incidents

Being hauled away to a prison cell from the airport is something you might have to fear in less enlightened parts of the world

But in the land of the free?

I'm sure that Law enforcement officials and the US Justice system could be involved in a more productive use of their time and efforts at present

It seems that discretion,a fundamental part of most Police Officers jobs around the world appears to be sadly lacking in this case.

Sad but not really surprising.

brownstar
20th Jan 2004, 16:05
I have never understood why anyone would say such a thing at an airport, the authorities are never going to find it funny. It also gives the impression to the security people that they are not being taken seriously. That's where the crux of the problem lies. The cop has then reacted in an appropriate manner but in their attempt to stop this happening again they are making an example of her.

Guys, you will never stop people making remarks like this, the public are just too stupid to learn not to.

I think this reaction stinks. If they realy want to punish her why not just deport her with the promise that she may never return to the U.S.A.

FEBA
20th Jan 2004, 16:19
When are these people ever going to learn, you just don't joke about bombs at any airport on the planet. This is a regular occurence at LHR. Offenders are taken straight to the nick where they are given a few words in their "shell like". Never thrown into jail (not sure if we have the space now)
Pointer and BEagle have the measure of this incident. I hope the Septics let her go, I doubt whether she will ever make the same mistake again.

etrang
20th Jan 2004, 16:28
The "6 months" mentioned in the article is just the delay until trial, which she will have to spend in jail if she can't post bail. Her punishment will probably invlove several years incarceration at the American tax payers' expense.

phnuff
20th Jan 2004, 16:34
Sending Pom crims to Oz doesn't seem to have been a bad idea. Want a few thousand more? We can spare them....

BAd idea - they send us their soaps in return

Gee, yes she was stupid, but a lack sense of humour doesnt help. Heck, when the Noraid funded IRA were merrily blowing up London/Birmingham/Warrington/Manchester we didnt get all paranoid about bomb jokes. Anyone would think the land of the free was the only placxe to have ever had to face terrorism

SRR99
20th Jan 2004, 17:01
Just as well that she didn't say "tweezers" or carry a nailfile.

God forbid that she might have got on the aircraft and queued for the toilet. These terrorists are all the same.

Actually, given the farcical security that is shown up when people drop off the landing gear nearly every week, and the "bullet" incident in the UK, I do wonder whether we might just be going overboard, especially when 9/11 was caused by people who did NOT say they had weapons, and who seemed to be "in order".

What happens if you say that you have NOT got a bomb?

The actual weapons on 9/11 were hundreds of tons of aircraft, and you should NOT give control of such weapons to men with Stanley knives. Neither should you give potentials guns on Air Marshals.

It seems laughable in this hysteria that pilots have been checked for weapons, when all they have to do is crash the aircraft (cunning, eh? How do you get round that?)

I wonder how much of the security is really done for public show (not the terrorists, who are much more intelligent than that), and how much is done properly from thinking from the point of view of the terrorist, with an axe to grind (can you say that in airports), and a "battle to win"? For example, it was pretty obvious, having lived in the USA and the UK, that if one wanted to attack the USA as a terrorist, then the best way would be from within. This is precisely what happened on 9/11. At that time, Sweden would have been a good place to do a similar attack, because the security on internal flights was much lower. Even now, if people are stowing away, they could carry a bomb. 9/11 proved that some of these people do not necessarily wish to go on living to make a point.

This is all pretty obvious stuff, really, but I still believe that the agenda is driven by the political "must be seen by the public to be doing something" rather than doing the right thing (keep real weapons off planes, keep people with knives out of the cockpit, keep undesirables out of the landing gear, etc).

And, I do not believe that anything is "different" since before 9/11. Just the average person's awareness, and perhaps the determination of a few.

Anyway, folk in security, keep up the good work, but keep it real. You have a difficult job to do, and you deserve support. Politicians, well, what on earth are you up to?

maninblack
20th Jan 2004, 17:12
Phnuff, whilst paranoid would be unfair the UK authorities have always taken a firm line on silly people and bomb jokes.

I have seen a couple of people given very severe public dressing downs by security staff for making innappropriate jokes over my years of travelling.

This is the way to handle it, point out the error of their ways, if they show contrition then you have succeeded, if they don't then nick them and give them an afternoon in the cells to think about things.

moku
20th Jan 2004, 17:18
The story on the radio is slightly different.... They have an interview with cop involved and in his words..the story is that she was asked going through the security check point what was in the backpack.......when she stated she was carrying a bomb she was asked to repeat herself, again she said I am arrying a bomb.

Well if that is the true version of how it happened then she is where she seserves to be. Sounds like she was given the chance to get out of it and did not.....

When you play games...... sometimes you loose!!

Capt. Manuvar
20th Jan 2004, 17:21
I personally don't approve of the behavior of the girl or the reaction of the security forces. One asks don't they have better things to do, like looking for guys with ammo in their pockets?
Doesn't it worry you guys that every journalist who want to breach airport security has been able to do so? I don't think that the current security system will prevent a bunch of smart terrorists from carrying out another 9/11.
I personally don't care if you come to the airport dressed as Osama Bin laden, what i care about is the quality of airport security.
I've noticed during my stay in America that police and security officers like to play hero and make a big deal out of nothing. That's why when someone makes a joke about airport security, it ends up on the world news and Trooper Johnson finally gets his 15 minutes of fame.
I'm sure that all over europe people make these jokes, so how come we never hear about them on breaking news.
capt m

bohun
20th Jan 2004, 17:37
Of course she got arrested, i mean what a stupid thing to say! Has she been hibernating these last 2 years or something? I have no sympathy for her at all.

MerchantVenturer
20th Jan 2004, 18:28
bohun,

I absolutely agree. I can't help thinking much of the sympathy from some people in this forum is because it involves a young female.

I would like to know if the people who think she has been dealt with heavy handedly would be quite happy about a situation where joking with officials at airports about bombs and weapons is one of those everyday light hearted things that should be tolerated with a smile and a pat on the head.

I doubt that she will stay in custody long.

MichaelJP59
20th Jan 2004, 18:33
Overreaction of course. It would have been enough to have taken her aside to a private room, searched her, given her a good talking to, delayed her enough to miss her flight etc.

No doubt she was stupid though, everyone knows that US officials have absolutely no sense of humour when it comes to "jokes" like this, understandably so.

- Michael

BillHicksRules
20th Jan 2004, 18:37
Dear all,

From what I read on the BBC website she was asked 3 times and each time stated she had a bomb.

Also let us stop calling her a girl, she is a woman in every legal sense both here and in the US.

I have been as annoyed as the next pruner at certain heavy-handed US security announcements but in this case, I think they acted quite intelligently. I think if they prosecute her fully then that might be extreme as I think she has now learned her lesson and nothing would be served by imprisoning her any longer. I think she should be made to pay the bail, as it will be some small measure of covering the cost of the incident. Furthermore, she should not have her visa renewed for at least 2 years.

Cheers

BHR

phnuff
20th Jan 2004, 18:38
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3412123.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3412123.stm)

If this is the true story then all sympathy for her disappears from me and actually pat on the back for the security/policeman.

BUMPFF
20th Jan 2004, 18:54
The full treatment was unjustified. A carefully-delivered reprimand would have sufficed. However, in a country where human programming has supplanted education the outcome of this incident was hardly surprising.

At San Diego TSA a large prominent sign reads:

"All remarks about weapons, bombs and guns are taken seriously. Please, no jokes."

One wonders what would happen if a security person overheard part of a conversation between travelling companions along the lines of "...when I said that to my boss it went down like a bomb" or "...if you do that you're only giving them more ammunition." And so on.

BTW last Saturday's DT Travel section carried an article* on fortress America, which complements the thread I started elsewhere.

*'Opinion' by Michael Kerr, p. 10 "The US has new security but at the expense of its old civility."

Wily Coyote
20th Jan 2004, 19:27
Silly behaviour indeed, but an even sillier response.

I have a holiday booked next summer to the states. It's been booked for several months - I can honestly say that I wish I hadn't booked it and it will be my last visit there. I'm certainly not looking forward to it the way I should be...

Why?

Because I'm dreading passing through US immigration and security. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about being a victim of terrorism. Is this the way it should be?

Of course, if I were a terrorist I probably wouldn't care :*

Wily

bealine
20th Jan 2004, 19:31
Yaaaawn!!! Of course it's justified!

This level of stupidity baffles me!!! This same thing happens every six months or so and still they don't learn!!!

Joke about having a bomb in your bag and you'll be asked to "consider very carefully that last remark - I shall ask you again etc etc"

Repeat the "joke" and you'll laugh looking through barred windows - at best, you'll certainly miss your flight!

sevenforeseven
20th Jan 2004, 19:37
:O Serves her right these are the type of people that write silly "B" on board notes and leave them in the lavs.
Put her down for 6 months "no parole".
Kids like her cost our airlines thousands of pounds and frighten passengers.:O , which at a time like this or for that matter anytime is not on!!!!

Taildragger67
20th Jan 2004, 19:55
Pointer (page 1) - yes mate it became the greatest place to live, the envy of others, home to the best sporting teams & brewers of the finest beers on the planet.

I wonder if any US flying lawyers could suggest if she invokes the First Amendment right of being able to say anything she likes... Is that the law of the land (so applicable to all in the US) or just to citizens?

Coconuts
20th Jan 2004, 19:56
Oh dear

Sounds to me like a silly, naive girl who made an off the cuff jokey remark without fully realising the implications of her behaviour, stupid behaviour but not criminal. As I said before someone I know a medical doctor infact piped up at security after 9/11 when his wife was queried about the pin in her brooch

"Its not much use without the grenade".

How he got away with it, I can't fathom & how anyone can find making jokes about bombs etc in public places acceptable or funny is beyond me. I can't help feeling sorry for the poor girl though :(

mr Q
20th Jan 2004, 19:59
Student freed after hoax alert

A 19-year-old German passenger arrested in connection with a hoax bomb alert that caused an American airliner to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport was released without charge today by gardai.
By:Press Association
The Delta Airlines jet, with 147 passengers on board, was en route from Frankfurt, Germany, to Atlanta, Georgia, when it was forced to divert after a note indicating a bomb was aboard was found in the plane`s toilet.

The passengers and crew disembarked at Shannon and Flight DL27 was searched by garda officers before the alert was declared a hoax on Sunday night.

All the passengers and crew aboard the flight were questioned by detectives, who also took samples of handwriting and fingerprints in an attempt to trace the person responsible for writing the note.

The German student was arrested under the Air Navigation and Transport Act yesterday afternoon before the jet continued on its journey to the US, 24 hours late.

A garda spokesman said a file was being sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

For "a file was being sent to the DPP" read "The authorities are considering whether to charge and with what offence

SLFguy
20th Jan 2004, 20:49
The authority's response is surely made up of more than one event... First response is the cop/security one.."This girl has repeated 3 times that she has a bomb - - what do I do? Board her or detain her?"

No Contest - good response

Second response is by higher ranking cop/security..."We have established this girl was NOT carrying a bomb - do we charge her or release her thereby showing that such actions are not punishable?"

Third level is the judge..."Do I jail this girl or bail her at £4,500?"

Oh she can't make bail???....now her incarceration has nothing to do with anyones response....she is merely being treated like any other citizen

BTW...has anyone any idea of how much she 'stole' ie the delays whist her baggage was unloaded - did anyone miss a connection/job etc..there is a ££££s element to this too.

TemporaryCrepello
20th Jan 2004, 21:18
Same reaction from me - will they never learn???

As was pointed out, the BBC version's far less hysterical than first article, which reeks of the tabloid press - detention centres "packed with hardened criminals", etc. I'd disregard talk of 6 months' bird since trial's been set for Feb 6.

Anyway, let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a good story - and another excuse for American-bashing. :rolleyes: Wily Coyote, don't believe the hype. Quite frankly, US authorities are as snotty as ever, but if you're patient and co-operative, you'll have no problems.

Speed of Sound
20th Jan 2004, 21:40
This woman was not ......

a terrorist.

She was not a threat to security.

She was guilty of nothing more than making an inappropriate, bad joke at the wrong time.

If the penalty for this is jail, while we all shout 'serves her right', then I'm afraid the terrorists have already won.

Buying into this panic, hysteria and paranoia may actually make us feel safer but it does not help airline security, it actually hinders it.

SoS

Wily Coyote
20th Jan 2004, 21:41
Anyway, let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a good story - and another excuse for American-bashing. Wily Coyote, don't believe the hype. Quite frankly, US authorities are as snotty as ever, but if you're patient and co-operative, you'll have no problems.

Yeah, you're right, to be honest. Last time I went the the immigration and security peeps were actually great. I treated them with respect and I was treated with respect in return. I can't believe they've changed that much.

Wily

Globaliser
20th Jan 2004, 22:22
Another thing not to say when travelling by air. (http://members.aol.com/globaliser/dilbert.jpg)

Chess
20th Jan 2004, 22:28
I agree with everyone here mostly, Stupid woman (girl) stupid comment repeated again even when asked a second time. Also a student to boot too. God help us from silly beings who think "jokes" like that are going to make anyone laugh in this day and age. Perhaps fueled by a few bevies in the bar with said boyfriend before going through security.

So she was going home to renew her visa. Well she won't need to bother doing that now!

Doubtless she's sorry she said it but generally I have no sympathy, Of course anyone who really had such a device in their hand baggage is hardly likely to admit it when asked are they? Now that would be "really" stupid!

Chess

p.s. Loved the Dilbert cartoon!

birdbrain
20th Jan 2004, 23:40
Once upon a time I was departing Manchester, returning to work abroad.
While waiting in the dep. lounge a work colleague arrived for the same flight.

As we sat talking he mentioned something to do with his work - producing bill's of material (BOM's). As he was happily blabbing away about his BOM's I noticed a couple of armed police approaching... luckily I managed to shut him up (being from God's country, I was a bit more aware of the connotations ) before they heard... and they passed by.

Phew... !

We often had a bit of a laugh about it afterwards, how easily we could have changed accommodation for the night......... !!

West Coast
20th Jan 2004, 23:45
Someone asked about the right to free speech. It does not extend in this case any more than it would to someone screaming fire in a crowded theatre when there wasn't.
Females with backpacks are the en vogue weapon of choice in Israel for blowing stuff up.

I wonder how many would say it would be an over the top reaction to stop another British citizen Richard Reid for saying he had a bomb in his shoe as that sounds almost as comical as impossible.

This girl will get the scare of her life and be let go. Perhaps she will remember to read the placards at the screening areas.

askew
21st Jan 2004, 00:21
The penalties may seem harsh for a young lady but there can not be a double standard when it comes to security. Just because the remarks were uttered by a young western female does not warrant the excuse that they were just a joke (and 3 times???). Maybe some on this board would be less quick to jump to her defence if it had been a middle eastern male who had made that same joke?

Having had the 'pleasure' of going thru US security 4 times in the last 2 weeks, I will have to say that despite the added time and inconvenience (shoes off, laptop out, finger prints and photo) I was treated courteously at all times. Perhaps because I treated the people who were doing their jobs with courtesy too. It does not take much to play by the rules.

Whether such checks are effective or not are a different matter, but they do give me a sense of security (maybe false) when on the aeroplane. Much more so than if no checks were conducted at all. And when you are a frequent traveller, I think this counts for a lot.

My opinion anyway.

topgundom
21st Jan 2004, 00:48
A very stupid situation.

No doubt the yanks would stick her in Guantanamo if they thought they could get away with it.

American paranoia has always made talking to immigration officers or security people a bit of a joke. Anyone who has ever filled in a visa waiver form knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Q1. Are you coming to the United States for the purpose of:
a: terrorism?
b: homicide?
or
c: genocide?

Q2. Are you a member of the Communist Party?

Q3. Are you a polygamist?

Q4. During the period 1939-1945, were you or any members of your family, friends or associates of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party of Germany?

:rolleyes:

I mean, come on, most people from the rest of the world could not help but find this sort of ludacrous questioning at least faintly idiotic.

It only serves to create the wrong reaction when people arrive in the country, and disillusion people who up until reading the form probably had more respect for the genuine security problems that America is suffering from.

BUT... and this is the point.

When in someone elses country, you simply have to act in an appropriate way, regardless of what you happen to think about human nature and the way you believe people ought to treat each other.

If you don't like the way a certain country works then DON'T GO THERE.

Humour is inappropriate in certain situations. Unfortunately, people often resort to it when they are nervous.

Another thing is for sure, locking up some girl from England who made a silly mistake with what she said at the wrong time will not in any way reduce terrorism in America. It is THEY who are missing the point here as well.

bjcc
21st Jan 2004, 01:29
Ok it was a silly remark, but behind that remark appears to be an inappropriate attempt at humour.

Silly yes, hanging offence, no!

It is correct that people doing the same at UK airports are carted off to the nick yes, and sometimes they are charged, to me it seemed a total waste of time money and effort, a quick search and a b****king would suffice, and maybe even the airline refusing to carry them, that should be the end of it.

Once its been established that the remark is frivilous then any action afterwards becomes vindicitive in my opnion, the effort and money would be better spent on better security.

ayrprox
21st Jan 2004, 02:10
Yes I agree, a very stupid thing to say:ouch:, but I think jail is a harsh. Maybe more appropriate to remove her from the flight and have her buy another ticket at her own expense to fly back, plus if delay costs then charge them to her, she should be able to pay them back in maybe 10 or 20 years after she has graduated!
these type of incidents are relatively few and far between but you need some sort of deterrent so that people will be well aware of the consequences. Jail time is excessive but inconvenience the culprit the way they have inconvenienced the rest of the passengers and crew. Waste her time and money and see how she likes it:ok:

Avman
21st Jan 2004, 03:15
Yes, she was very stupid!

Yes, the American authorities, in their inevitable way, overreacted!

Would a terrorist carrying a bomb declare the fact - twice, and then allow himself/herself to be arrested without setting it off?

She should have been held for 24 hours, given a severe reprimand and warned that if she ever did anything like that again she would then have to take the full consequences. As it is, six months just waiting for trial is simply OTT.

God Bless America!

CaptainFillosan
21st Jan 2004, 03:22
Her ignorance and naivety are breathtaking. Now she faces jail. Well that is how the they do things there in them thar places. To say she was stupid is an understatement. To say she will get 6 months is an overstatement - IMHO. I think they will let her sweat a while.

However, here is something to ponder. On TV tonight, OK it was on Judy and Richard's prog :yuk: - they spoke to one Randy Bossman, a senior police officer from Dade County. He said, and I quote: "she told us THREE times that she had a bomb when we queried it three times." "On the third occasion we arrested her and placed her in jail to appear in court." He further stated that it is possible that "she could spend six months in jail." Now it is up to the judge.

I think they will probably give her the spanking she deserves and send the stupid little idiot home.

But.................I recall someone getting two years after telling someone he had a bomb. Here at LGW I think.

shrtaprch98
21st Jan 2004, 05:34
Wow,

Some interesting responses from both sides of the Ocean.

Not sure about things in the UK..but what happens when someone goes into a crowded building/theater and cries "Fire"

Is there much difference in going into an airport and saying three times that you have a bomb? Would people say the US authorities were to heavy handed if during a potential evacuation if someone were to get hurt? I know that they take other passengers safety very seriously..and it may have caused an evacuation...what then?

I don't see much difference. This isn't stupidity or a prank. This is serious! She should be dealt with harshly.

My .02

jigsawblue
21st Jan 2004, 05:52
Well she received a dose of reality. Long before all this hysteria about security. People were always being pulled up and arrested for joking about bombs. Bombs on planes is hardly a new phenomena.
I think in practice most people get a heavy ticking off. But she compounded it by repeating it. I doubt if she'll do much in the way of jail time. There was a recent case where an Irish Gaelic footballer made a similar remark. He ended up in court and only got community service. He had to travel back and forth to the US for the court case. I bet he kept his mouth shut then.

You do have to wonder sometimes, what gets into people who make 'jokes' like that?

Capt Homesick
21st Jan 2004, 05:56
Whereas here in the "less paranoid" UK the maximum penalty for such a "joke" is a paltry seven years imprisonment.....

surely not
21st Jan 2004, 05:58
The US are treating the stupid girl exactly as she deserves.

There is absolutely nothing clever, funny, vaguely amusing about claiming to have a bomb or gun in your bag. Every single claim has to be taken seriously, duty of care and common sense, which wastes the valuable time of officers who could be needed elsewhere. Terminals get evacuated, flights delayed. People miss meetings, flight connections etc because some berk comes out with a stupid joke that the security staff have heard many times before and have to take seriously.

All you fantastic observers of human behaviour who can tell from this side of the Atlantic, via television pictures, that she is 'just a silly girl' should give up your day jobs and get involved in the security business straight away because you are light years ahead of everyone else.

3 times she stated she had a bomb!!! Given every opportunity to apologise and eat humble pie she continued to be crass and repeat the claim. Serves her right if she has to stay in jail for a couple of years.

Don't waste your sympathy on her she doesn't deserve it.

Coconuts
21st Jan 2004, 06:57
I travelled to the US & Canada last year & found security & immigration okay. Maybe cause I complied with them, remained panfaced & kept from making any wisecracks (a very difficult feat for me). I was apologetic if need be (definitely needed at the Canadian border when reentering the US with a soaked passport, my eh waterproof moneybelt wasn't as waterproof as I thought & my visa waver form looked like a smudge). :O

Immigration & airport security have so much power in the jurisdiction of their own jobs that it never pays to be smart, back answer & give cheek to them even if they are rude, abrupt or even if you know they are acting outside the boundaries of their remit. They decide whether you get on the plane or into their country, it pays to keep that in mind. Challenge them or back answer them, you won't be going anywhere so leave your grievances as I did for when I got home & could email the TSA. If they ask a question, answer the question they ask in a relevant, straight to the point, respectful & polite way IMHO. Its a serious business, treat it seriously!

As someone said here if you treat security with immigration & security with respect & learn to keep your mouth shut & not make any inappropriate remarks for the short time while you're in their vicinity you should have no difficulty & breeze through. I mean I've one of the most acidic, black sense of humours going but one has to know where & when to draw the line. Some people will never learn, many who get into trouble, I believe, bring the trouble on themselves. :rolleyes:

Blimey, what she say it three times for, was she thick or had a few screws loose or something, doesn't sound to me like she was all there? :confused:

FJJP
21st Jan 2004, 07:18
She's too stupid for words. She's obviously so immature and unaware of the big bad world that it would have been more appropriate to take her to a mental institution for psychriatric evaluation.

She must have slept through 9/11. If 9/11 had happened in London, we would have been equally sensitive - I watched the events unfold on the day and saw my staff in tears. It was an incomprehensible and unspeakable act.

She should spend a month in jail, be hauled before the fiercest judge in the American Judiciary, given a verbal roasting until she dissolved into tears and then deported in handcuffs, banned from ever entering any United States of American land for life.

Then maybe these stupid morons will get the message that terrorism and death are not a matter for humour.

ReginaldSpotter
21st Jan 2004, 08:59
I'm sorry but this is a "mature" 21 year old student who obviously did not take the non compulsory course in Newspaper reading or TV viewing.:rolleyes:

For all of you who go on about she did not look like Osam or have a knapsack full of handgrenades you might have forgotten the young lady that was hauled off an El aircraft at the gate with a nice cuddly teddy bear full of explosives that he "boyfriend" had given her.:ugh:

O\ZON
21st Jan 2004, 10:09
its not the job of security to ascertain the seriosness of a persons response to questioning. the consquences of a wrong judgement are way too serious.
Looks can be deceiving. It shouldn't matter whether shes a 21 yr old student, an 80 yr old granny, or an osama lookalike

for sure, scare the crap out of her, fine her, give her community work. highlight the case such that others wont be so stupid.

But, prison is not the type of life experience that will be of benefit to her or anyone else. many naive people leave prison hardened crims. Its a great place for networking. is that what you want?

whoever here seriously advocates prision time, shows complete lack of judgement. It scares me that the few advocates on this website are in command of aircraft

O\z

etrang
21st Jan 2004, 10:56
To everyone who asks the
"When will these stupid people ever learn?" questions.

They will NEVER learn. If they were able to learn from their experience or others', they wouldn't be stupid.

Stupid people will always be stupid. They don't read newspapers, they don't watch the news on tv. They will NOT change.

Please don't act surprised when this happens again and again.

DocManhattan
21st Jan 2004, 13:35
First time I heard the `bomb' gag I was 14, and so was the guy that said it. We thought we were very witty, though the RAF Regiment types we said it to didn't seem so amused. Still, they rolled their eyes at us and waved us through the gates of the base we were visiting. I guess times have changed ... and I don't think I would've found it so funny by the time I got to 21, but that was so long ago I can hardly remember.
But I still think this is way OTT for the girl to be remanded in custody, facing trial and a potential 6 months in jail, for chrissake! Some respondents to this thread getting on their high horses about how stupid she was might well try thinking back to how much they knew about the world when they were 21. Seems to me that cuffing, questioning her, searching her and her luggage and inconveniencing her by making her miss her flight might be sufficient to get the message across, since she wasn't actually carrying anything hazardous.
I really do worry about what's happening to the USA ... Always loved going there for visits. Not sure I'd be so keen
anymore.

bealine
21st Jan 2004, 14:33
Doc Manhatten - I wonder how tolerant you would feel if:

(a) You'd served with the Armed Forces in Northern Ireland at the height of the "troubles" and seen a bomb hidden under a baby in a pram.

(b) You'd lost workmates or family members killed by terrorists in the 09/11 tragedy. (We all think of the World Trade Centre, but don't forget the airline passengers and crew who lost their lives too!)

(It is said, though I haven't experienced it thankfully, that when an airliner goes down, the check in and gate staff recall in vivid detail each passenger they dealt with on that flight and that the memory never fades!)

(c) You'd lost workmates or family members in the Lockerbie bombing.

The airline industry is an extremely "incestuous" (figureatively) one. Many airport workers have lost family and friends in terrorist incidents and many security personnel have served in the Armed Forces. "Jokes" concerning terrorism at airports are NOT funny and, to many airport workers, brings back very painful memories!!!

Okay, 6 months bird may seem harsh - why not a period of community service working in an extablishment like the Royal Hospital at Chelsea working with ex-servicemen who have fought terrorism at close quarters (delightful gentlemen, every one!)

I think her sense of humour may mature, somewhat!

FYI, thousands of Brits (and other nationalities) still visit the USA for holidays and business trips and have no problems at all with the American people - whether the bell hop or the Police Officer. They have the same protocols as anywhere else in the world - respect them, they'll respect you! If you're challenged, answer questions politely, let 'em look in your bag, let 'em put your shoes through the scanner and, if you're honest, legal, decent and truthful, you'll not have any problems!!!

DocManhattan
21st Jan 2004, 14:46
I'm certainly not advocating being soft on those who perpetrate these crimes ... But it seems to me one could establish fairly quickly that this girl was no threat, just young and ignorant. So I still think her treatment was unwarranted. Could be there's something about this incident I don't know ... did she resist? Was she abusive? If not, then I stand by my earlier post.

A and C
21st Jan 2004, 15:02
In the present situation bomb threats have to be reacted to despite the fact that the "real threat" may seem to be very low.

I would hope that the UK authoritys would react in the same way as those in the USA.

I hope the girl getts the prison time that remarks of this type deserve.

I have been a critic of the security system in the past but this time they have reacted properly.

bealine
21st Jan 2004, 15:13
... But it seems to me one could establish fairly quickly that this girl was no threat, just young and ignorant.

I beg to differ. I find your remark extremely naiive. She may be young but she is old enough to take responsibility for her actions. I certainly considered myself an adult at 15 years old and would not have dreamed of being impertinent to "officials".

When I served in Ulster, I saw a 24 year old mother in Northern Ireland with a bomb hidden under her baby - so forgive me if I find your statement rather naiive!

Unfortunately for the world, the terrorist does not necessarily wear pyjamas and a beard. He/she could equally be a well-educated, well-bred English aristocrat. We all know how easily College and University students are influenced by "causes" and some could be possibly persuaded to smuggle a device on to an aircraft if they believed the "cause" was right!

Every potential threat has to be taken seriously. "I have a bomb in my bag!" could be the girl's way of alerting security that she was doing something under duress. Can you imagine how the gutter press would react if a reporter said "I have a bomb in my bag" and the Security Guard took no notice!!!

SRR99
21st Jan 2004, 15:35
OK, so there I am on an evening flight to Geneva from LGW in 1999. Date April 1. Cockpit voice comes on - "Welcome to this evening's flight to Helsinki (speech continued for several minutes - in 2 languages). This really did happen.

Having lived in the UK throughout the IRA at their peak, and with experience of being in the vicinity of an IRA bomb in London when it went off, I take security (real security, that is) very seriously.

Well, we're all security-minded(on this site at least!), so do I:

1) Do the heroic thing, storm the cockpit and kill the pilots because they're obviously absolute nutters? (And probably get arrested in the process) - and delay the flight?

2) Raise a huge fuss and delay the flight? And probably get arrested in the process?

3) Reply in a loud voice "Oh no we're not, I'm a hijacker and I want to go to Beirut (insert destination of your choice)...........Only kidding, April Fool! Simply because I love a laugh as much as the next man.

4) Use my brain, have a think, use discretion, and laugh it off, oh yes, and point out to the flight crew that they have incurred 7 years of bad luck for doing an April Fool after mid-day?

I just don't know.

Nothing to do with her sex, or her age. Appropriate response is to detain her to ascertain the truth , or not behind her statement(s), make her miss the flight, or two, and send her on her way.

Also, having heard varying reports about what she was told to do, then if she was asked just to repeat her statement, then she did the right thing. Perhaps repeat means something different. If she was given the chance to modify her statement, she did the wrong thing.

It used to be that patriotism was the last refuge of the scoundrel. Security (airline, health and safety in UK councils, government, nuclear industry) is becoming the last refuge of the truly incompetent. A useless induhvidual makes a truly bad decision, then hides behind safety, security or whatever, because you would have to be mad, or a terrorist, or a commie, to say otherwise.

Despite having the greatest of respect for the US, where I lived happily for a number of years, I would have thought after unfortunate incidents such as the Salem witch trials and McCarthyism that they might desist from going overboard t the degree that they periodically do.

Serious security, well executed, has my full support. No argument. People hiding behind "You don't know what it's like", do not. Not least of which, because I do know.

Dolfin
21st Jan 2004, 15:49
There is talk of a six-month prison sentence. Personally, I think that is a bit harsh.

Two years would be more appropriate.

Will this affect her visa application, do you think?

Self Loading Freight
21st Jan 2004, 16:39
She was stupid, but not a threat. However, this from a report at

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-sdbomb21jan21,0,4534909.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

"Marvin Badler, a security consultant who has worked with airlines for 35 years, is not surprised

"Some of them think they're cute," he said. "Some of them feel intimidated by the search and as a reaction -- it's like laughing -- they just blurt it out. I've seen it for many years. When you start searching a person they get annoyed and say `What, do you think I have a bomb in here?'"

The problem, Badler said, is that those smuggling weapons onto planes also use that tactic. Because airport security has to take action even when comments are made in jest, he said, it can lead to major disruptions. "

Now, how many times has anyone smuggling weapons onto a plane used this tactic?

R

MartinB
21st Jan 2004, 17:46
> The last thing anyone should say around an airport these days is the "B" word, or gun, or SAM or any such similar utterance.

Bit of a b*gger if your name's Sam then!

eal401
21st Jan 2004, 18:36
Well, unlike others here, I'd have no qualms about visiting the US based on their treatment of this situation.

Why? Because unlike this girl (the word woman suggests maturity), I am not an utter and total retard who would make so idiotic a comment.

She's a student apparantly. Must be doing a BA in Being Braindead.

Throw the book at her is my 0.02 worth!

DocManhattan
21st Jan 2004, 18:44
Bealine, I never suggested that you shouldn't take every threat seriously, only that under these circumstances the appropriate response would have been cuff her, search her, question her, inconvenience her ... and that's it. It's enough to establish she does not possess anything that would be a threat to the aircraft and would be quite sufficient to stop her from ever saying anything that daft again.
The example you use of the 24-year-old terrorist in Northern Ireland, is a vivid reminder of how inhuman some people can be, but it's irrelevant in this case. That was an armed terrorist. This was an unarmed civilian.
If ignorance alone merited a jail term, then Dubya would be occupying a very different kind of house right now ...

BEST L/CONTROLLER
21st Jan 2004, 19:06
I think she deserves everything she gets, "STUPID COW" weather we think it's harsh or not, the laws are there in place and if you break them, you pay the consiquences, and it's tough if you ask me, tough tough tough,

BANG HER UP i say!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Coconuts
21st Jan 2004, 19:25
I won't be crossing you BEST L/CONTROLLER neither today or tomorrow. :ooh:

Reported on the Irish Indo today:

Heading: "Student faces 15 years in jail for airport bomb 'joke'"

Geez, some penalty have having a loose tongue & a quick mouth.

Paper says she joked about having three bombs in her rucksack & said to security while placing her hand luggage on a conveyor belt during security screening "Hey, be careful, I have three bombs in here".

"She allegedly repeated twice that she had a bomb in her small bag.

Her bail has been set for $5000 (€4000) & if her family can't put up the money she could face up to six months in jail while awaiting trial."

Her poor father who is hardly a young man at 75 & lives abroad has to shoulder all this worry at a time in life he should be having a quiet time.

Really the more I read this the more I'm convinced this girl wasn't mature enough to be let out on her own, let alone travel the world on her own. :rolleyes:

peter we
21st Jan 2004, 19:32
Her visa application:
I've always assumed that having a criminal record excludes you from the US for life. Its seems its probably true, especially for security risks-
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/add_crime.htm

The jail she staying at is a total hell-hole.. and she will probably not see her boyfriend for a long time, if ever. Man, what an Idiot.

Coconuts
21st Jan 2004, 20:06
Well an American on the shuttle with me from Seattle to Vancouver was being interviewed before me, just say I wasn't eavesdropping. :E

It started off with him being on disability in the US and not having worked since the year dot.

"How do you manage", asked the female immigration officer"

"Jesus Christ" he retorted.

It took all my self control to suppress a giggle, he wasn't doing himself any favours. :D

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse for him the conversation took a steep downhill turn.

Turned out he had a criminal conviction for assault. I was astounded, almost felt sorry for him if he'd changed his ways. He was ordered to take his bags off the bus, the immigration lady said she'd decide later whether he would be allowed to continue his journey. Our driver whom I had offered to the grateful immigration official to bring in & sort out the fray (he thought I was the one in the stew :D) said he hadn't a hope in hell in getting into Canada.

If you have a criminal record you definitely can't get into the US under the visa waiver scheme, I'd say it limits your chances of getting into any country but don't know if it makes it 100% impossible or if it varies from country to country???

radeng
21st Jan 2004, 21:00
One had better be careful with language and what you carry.

A 'bombe' is of course used for making ice cream..........a 'bombe mousse' consists of 1.75 litres of sugar syrup, boiled with the yolks of 32 eggs and whisked into the consistency of cream, continually whisked while it cooled, and then having the same amount of cream added. Talk about a filling for the bombe and add birdbrain's story of his colleagues's BOM and you could easily get locked up. If you were in the catering trade, such a conversation could be perfectly legitimate.

Pity the Frenchwoman who speaks little English travelling onwards in the US carrying an ice cream 'bombe' (bombe de glace) as a present for someone......

GwynM
21st Jan 2004, 21:49
some people must have a real problem when travelling

looking at www.yourenotme.com I found 3 people called "Ivor Gunn"

how the h£ll do they ever check in, let alone get on a flight?

imagine it:
Bealine: name please
Passenger: Ivor Gunn
Bealine: security!

localizer establishd
21st Jan 2004, 22:54
Really Stupid thing to say..has she not seen that movie meet the parents! copper's only doing his job. waste of everybodys time and resources... silly girl

You want it when?
22nd Jan 2004, 01:59
Interesting thread, it shows that you should not joke with airport security. The statement "It's a bomb" was qualfied a number of times and she did not back down until it was too late.

So this is the calibre of student in the UK - maybe Blair is right to start charging?

She is in prison until her court date - she is free to leave if she can post bail. Bail is set at a nominal £4,500 not to high for an idiot to raise, maybe her family/boyfriend can help. I wonder if any airline would fly her back to the UK even if she was allowed to leave the US?

Thumbs up for the security guy, and for the judge. :ok:

Coconuts
22nd Jan 2004, 02:51
Well bail has been posted so she's free to leave the States for the mo.

Saw her on telly today, a very pale, naive looking blonde girl. Said "she wasn't thinking at the time". That's obvious!

She looked like she needed to pinch herself every now & then to believe that's she's ended herself up in this situation, there was a look of disbelief, horror & despair on her face which she kept burying in her hands. Still feel very sorry for her, even though she's been treated like a criminal, she isn't one, silly, naive, maybe even immature but she sure as hell is going to grow up quickly after this. What a mess she's landed herself in :(

BEST L/CONTROLLER
22nd Jan 2004, 05:29
I'm a Pussy cat really!!!!!:D LOL

CHEERS!!!!!!:ok:

P.S she's still an idiot.

Coconuts
22nd Jan 2004, 05:41
Aye

Like that puddy cat that the duo got to sort out 'Stewart Little', the filmstar mouse.

If ya haven't seen the film, try to see it, you'll see what I mean ;)

Coconuts
22nd Jan 2004, 21:26
Latest news & piccie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3417847.stm

Another eejit!

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8416031%255E1702,00.htm

When will they ever learn to keep their traps shut though why does this gobsh*te face potentially four years in jail why she could face 15. Why the disparagy? :confused:

maxman
23rd Jan 2004, 07:18
I agree. stupid woman.
I only hope that the second she steps off the plane, some redtop newspaper doesn't give her £thousands for her story:mad:
I can just see it happening.

Crepello
23rd Jan 2004, 07:53
I see the Beaming Jumper managed to get his oar in. I'm no great admirer of the man but I have to say, he's a genius at working situations like this one...

bacardi walla
23rd Jan 2004, 11:52
She should be banned from flying on ALL airlines for at least 5 years :ok:

fyrky
2nd Feb 2004, 05:16
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened had a visitor to the UK made a threat against a member of the royal family? Would they be detained? What does the law say?

Would it be any different if the person was a male or female? Young or old? A different enthicity perhaps? Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, Muslim, Atheist? British subject or foreign visitor?

None of these factors prevents one from doing something stupid, nor do they make one more likely to do something stupid.

Here in the US, while we do have the freedom of speech, that freedom does not extend to making threats. If there is a law prohibiting something, the authorities are required to act. Should they fail to act as the law dictates and something untowards occurs, they are held liable.

I'm not saying that she (not a young girl, but a woman) should be jailed for 6 months, but she has the right to trial (a right guaranteed to everyone here) by a jury of her peers. From an american perspective, she's got nothing to worry about. We're letting criminals off with a slap on the wrist because of the tendencies of the average person who sits on a jury!

PAXboy
4th Feb 2004, 01:03
This letter appeared in The Independent of 24th January.

Sir: If the student Xxxx Xxxx faces jail for making a false declaration regarding non-existent bombs, where does that place our esteemed leader and his pal President Bush?:}

TightSlot
5th Feb 2004, 14:26
BBC has this @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3457967.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39761000/jpg/_39761465_marson203.jpg

Bomb joke student spared jail

A British student who was arrested at an American airport after joking she had a bomb in her bag, should be able to fly home on Friday subject to legal formalities.
Samantha Marson, 21, seems likely to be spared a custodial sentence after agreeing to donate $1,000 to the families of the victims of the September 11 attacks.

Her lawyer, Oscar Sanchez, made the plea bargain on her behalf in Miami, and said his client would also apologise for her actions.

Miss Marson still has to appear in court on Friday to hear whether the case will be formally dismissed.
etc. etc. etc. (see link)

Miss Marson is a ****, who, having served her Darwinian purpose of acting as a reminder to the species of what happens when you are stupid, will hopefully now fade into obscurity.

--------------------
Per Ardua Ad Ibiza