PDA

View Full Version : Dragonair to start Tokyo service

SMOC
20th Jan 2004, 13:41
Reuters

HK's Dragonair to start Tokyo service in April
Tuesday January 20, 12:52 am ET

HONG KONG, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Dragonair, Hong Kong's second-largest airline, said on Tuesday it will begin flights to Tokyo in April, heating up competition with rival Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd

Dragonair, which is 43 percent owned by state-backed China National Aviation Corp said it will initially offer five flights a week between Hong Kong and Tokyo's Narita International Airport starting April 2.

It won the rights to fly to the Japanese capital in late 2002.

The route is the third busiest out of Hong Kong, after Taipei and Bangkok.

Dragonair also competes with Cathay on flights to Taipei and more recently to Bangkok. Before that, the two had largely observed a policy of one carrier per route, with Dragonair operating most flights to China and Cathay taking the international routes.

Cathay challenged that status quo last year when, seeking to re-enter the China market after a 13-year absence, it won the right to fly to Beijing.

Cathay now offers limited services to the Chinese capital, but hopes to win broader access in talks set to take place next month between the two governments.

Dragonair said its Tokyo service will operate on all days except Wednesday and Saturday.

"Tokyo is one of the top five destination cities from Hong Kong," said Dragonair Chief Executive Officer Stanley Hui. "We believe this is a good year to launch the service as Japan recently unveiled its 'Visit Japan Campaign' with the aim of doubling the number of tourists who visit the country by 2010."

The Hong Kong to Tokyo route is already highly competitive with 168 flights a week, operated by Cathay, Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, Northwest Airlines and United Airlines, according to the South China Morning Post.

Cpt. Underpants
20th Jan 2004, 14:30
Cathay challenged that status quo last year when, seeking to re-enter the China market after a 13-year absence, it won the right to fly to Beijing.

...AFTER Dragonair started applications to BKK, SYD and others...

VR-HFX
20th Jan 2004, 16:52
I believe that the minutes from Dragonair board meetings, especially this past year or so, are worth bottling ... as vinegar!

404 Titan
20th Jan 2004, 18:01
Cpt. Underpants

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Personally I think the competition is good but we should all remember who opened Pandora’s Box. It certainly wasn’t CX.

Ya Zi
22nd Jan 2004, 05:23
Taipei, Bangkok and now Tokyo. Three long haul routes served by Cathay....and there's more coming! Maybe the reason Dragonair ropped the appeal against Cathay's re-entry into the China market is because it is going to look at other destinations - particularly long-haul for their new A330s to fly to.

And maybe the reason why the Dragonair board meetings are so caustic is because of the Swire presence!

As for the 43% owned by CNAC? Lets not forget the large holding by CITIC which means over 70% is owned directly or indirectly by Beijing - wheras Swire Pacific is still obstensively British and is still viewed as a gweilo company.

If I was to bet on the long term futures of the two, my money will be on the Chinese company. It's still the year of the Dragon!

Kung hei fat choi.

404 Titan
22nd Jan 2004, 08:50
I really get sick of the them and us attitude that some push on this forum. Don’t let any squabbling in the boardroom of KA cloud your view. Please don’t let us go down the road that is happening on the D & G forums between QF and DJ pilots. Both CX and KA are great companies and there is plenty of work for both to survive quite nicely. This market now is very mature and will continue to grow. As to the ownership of both, CX is also owned by a majority of local shareholders, not Swire, so that makes it a local company as well.

Kung hei fat choi.

Fly747
22nd Jan 2004, 23:18
Quite right no point the drivers bickering at each other. I wouldn't mind betting that KA will be bigger than CX in 10 years though.
Interesting conjecture I heard recently that there could be some sort of merger or dealings that led to KA becoming the low cost operator that CX are keen to start. Freight would also be consolidated in some way too.
Share holdings in both companies are basically intermingled anyway.

Felix Lighter
24th Jan 2004, 20:27
May I counter your rhetoric with "Pro rege et patria" - its equally arrogant!

"Spectemur agendo, consilio et prudentia"

You might consider however that "Virtus sola nobilitas" and that sometimes its just better to keep you mouth shut lest the rest of us realise what a "superbus" prat you can be.

Pro rege et Patria = For Queen and Country
Spectemur agendo, cosilio et prudentia" = Let us be jusdged by our actions and by wisdom and prudence
Virtus sola nobilitas = Virtue is the only nobility
Superbus = Arrogant or Conceited

If youre feeling so bold you might want to tell the forum what you said.............and more importantly what it really means?

Esse quam videri! (To be rather than to seem)

Anon

jtr
24th Jan 2004, 20:49
Geez Felix, musta hit a nerve, poor old Hong has removed his post!

Felix Lighter
24th Jan 2004, 21:16
Should I stand by for a PM or maybe a visit from the thought police? Article 23 anyone?

Hong Xing
25th Jan 2004, 11:44
jtr:
I did not remove my own post, it was deleted by the Moderator.

Blue Eagle:
I am surprised that you removed my post. Four simple words written in Latin (for elucidation) that made up a patriotic axiom favouring Dragon Air and for some reason you take offence. I hope it was not the patriotism you objected to. Perhaps you would tell me the reason.

Hong Xing

404 Titan
25th Jan 2004, 19:33
Hong Xing

Perhaps you should refresh yourself on the conditions of posting on this "English only" forum that you agreed to when you signed up in July 2003. The rule is there for a very good reason as there are some that can’t read Latin or any other language besides English. I’m sure if you put the translation next to it, Blue Eagle may not have deleted it.

BlueEagle
25th Jan 2004, 19:44
Well, it wasn't me that deleted it, it was one of the other Moderators and I am trying to find out the details but, as Titan404 has mentioned and as you, Hong Xing, well know, the language of PPRuNe is English.

regards,

BE.

Jetdriver
26th Jan 2004, 01:36
to save any further mis-conjecture I deleted it !

The post was one of a number that had been directed for attention from various forums.

The complaint seemed to centre on the fact that a foreign language had been employed on an English language forum. If I had a little more time or patience on that occaision I would probably have asked my son to translate it and thus satisfy everybody. Indeed perhaps the author might have done the same thing.

I don't think anybody actually took offence but it was reported and ufortunetaly it was deleted, rather than transferred for further consideration.

Given that it amounted to 4 words perhaps you would like to re-post them with their English translation and hopefully everybody will be happy and the universe can continue in harmony.

Hong Xing
26th Jan 2004, 11:17
Jetdriver:
Thank you for explaining what happened. Here is the Latin you objected to along with its translation.

"Dragon Air: Pro patria Festina Lente"
"Dragon Air: For one's country hasten slowly".

Blue Eagle:
I would like apologise for unjustly accusing you. Perhaps I was influenced by past events as it can hardly be said that absit invidia exists between you and I. (absit invidia is Latin for " let there be no ill will ") However that does not stop me from extending to you my best wishes for our new year. (Hou Nian year of the Monkey)

Hong Xing

BlueEagle
26th Jan 2004, 14:27
Thank you for your apology and good wishes, I hope 2004 or the Year of The Monkey is good for you.

Was unaware of any ill will, this is an aviation bulletin board and forms but one very small part of my life, I simply don't have time to bear any ill will to anyone!

regards.

BE

HotDog
26th Jan 2004, 17:59
Hong Xing "Pro Patria Festina Lente". Is this your own idea for Dragon Air's motto? Festina Lente is already in use by my club, The Royal Hong Kong Golf Club (now known as The Hong Kong Golf Club), since 1887. A very apt motto for golf, not too sure if the airline bean counters share my view in their field of influence.