PDA

View Full Version : Sydney control tower fire last year

the road atlas
20th Jan 2004, 12:53
Does anyone remeber when the SY control tower caught fire ( or evactuated or somthing) , a year or 2 ago, when it got all "interesting" there.

cheers

the road atlas
21st Jan 2004, 02:54
C'mon, can't someone remember when ?? just trying to find out some info on it.

SM4 Pirate
21st Jan 2004, 08:31
Smoke in Sydney Control Tower Causes Air Traffic Delays

No.: 28/00

Suspected overheating of electrical components that caused smoke and toxic smells in the Sydney Air Traffic Control Tower this afternoon has caused delays to both arriving and departing aircraft.

Aircraft operations at Sydney Airport were restricted for approximately 90 minutes when Airservices Australia Tower Controllers were evacuated due to the smoke in the cab at approximately 4.30pm after the fire alarm was raised.

Airservices Australia Aviation Rescue and Fire Fighting Units responded within three minutes and donned breathing apparatus. A short time later they declared the facility safe and allowed technical and maintenance personnel in to inspect any possible damage.

No injuries resulted among the 12 staff who were working in the Tower at the time of the incident.

Tower Controllers immediately began enacting contingency preparations and moved to the old Control Tower located just south of the operational Tower on General Holmes Drive.

Aircraft movements were limited during the operation of the contingency plans.

The Tower Controllers commenced moving back to the Control Tower at about 5.45pm to resume full operations by 6.15pm.

The Sydney Air Traffic Control Tower and Radar Centre have initiated procedures to increase normal arrival and departure rate expected at this time of day in order to return all airline schedules to normal as quickly as possible.

Further information: Richard Dudley 0412 146 828

Date: 22 December 2000

Is this what you mean?

Hugh Jarse
21st Jan 2004, 11:05
Bob Livingstone cooking a barbie? Or had he already "retired"? :}

the road atlas
21st Jan 2004, 12:20
yep, thats it, gezz time flies, I though it was a year or so ago !!! But that is definanlty what I was after.

thanks

Elword
25th Jan 2004, 07:44
I was there that day - bloody shambles it was too. When it was over I did ADC1 (R16/34) for about two hours solid movin' tin to clear the backlog.

Date? Dunno now - been retired 2+ years, so at least 3 years ago.