PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flights

Ang737
20th Jan 2004, 06:24
Hi All

I am planning a ferry flight from Germany to Melbourne in a Piper Aztec and was wondering if anyone has either done this or has reference to any articles detailing pros and cons...

Cheers

Ang;)

Rich-Fine-Green
20th Jan 2004, 07:08
Plan your trip well.

Consider using a professional flight planning company like Jepps (expensive) or others to assist as some of the clearances are hard to get.

Also, be prepared to pay big $$$$ for fuel and overflight/landing/handling clearances for every third-world ****e country enroute.

Other than that - great fun!.

Ang737
20th Jan 2004, 07:44
Rich-Fine-Green

Thanks for that. Can you recommend someone to contact for this. The planning stage will take a lot of effort out of the process. Goign solo at the moment but wouldn't mind taking a companion (Multi IFR Rated) if they can pay there own way.

Ang ;)

Capt Fathom
20th Jan 2004, 10:15
Why not try HARS at Albion Park, they just bought in the Catalina from France.
Clamback and Hennessy at YSBK maybe of assistance.

Jamair
21st Jan 2004, 13:48
Geez, ANG; if yer THAT keen to buy a decent Aztec give me a PM and I'll sell you mine!:D

Ang737
22nd Jan 2004, 07:41
Jamair... Send me the details and I will have a look..

At this stage I am going to make the flight. If anyone is keen to join me drop me a line.

Costs involved will be your own airfares and enroute expenses (Hotels, food, etc) and any flying you want to log as PIC at cost price... Leaving approx late Mar early Apr...

Cheers

Ang;)

High Altitude
22nd Jan 2004, 08:19
Yes the dolla is up but......

BE VERY F*CKING CAREFUL. Not about the flying thats the easy bit..... Import CofA can be scary.... Very scary... Take it to someone you can trust or just sign a blank cheque...

splatgothebugs
22nd Jan 2004, 08:51
Proper preflight planning prevents piss poor pilot performance or should I say aircraft performance.

Ang737, If I was you I would be getting your hands on maintenance reports for that aircrafts entire flight history and then planning options on every single one incase they show up again. In the case of an Aztec they will show up again.

All the best and play it safe, don't give yourself a dead line to get home.

splat :ok:

P.S. takes loads of oil with you and maybe even a starter motor just incase.;)