PDA

View Full Version : Trapping AOL radio music?

BOAC
20th Jan 2004, 01:57
I have 80 channels of music for ALL tastes streaming into my AOL broadband connection - no talking, just 24/7/365 hr music. I cannot get it to save at any decent volume with any of the progs I have.

How do I do it? It seems so simple - it is playing through my sound card so how do I 'net' it?:O

TIA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jan 2004, 02:15
BOAC,

It all depends.

If it uses its own player, then I am sure they designed it so you could not copy the data stream.

If it plays over WMP or WinAmp, it is pretty easy to save.

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
20th Jan 2004, 03:01
Thanks, Richard - I'm pretty sure it is 'protected'. It just seems strange that it goes through the sound card and I cannot 'borrow' it! I can record it using a couple of audio edit progs, but the volumes are so low.

The Old Fogducker
20th Jan 2004, 04:15
BOAC:

Here is a link to a program called "Total Recorder" which will do the trick for you.

It can record streaming audio, or anything else that goes through your soundcard. I use it to record streaming audio, regarless of it's format or player requirements.

In my case, I went for the "Professional" version. I believe there is a 30 day trial period available as well, so no money need change hands til you are sure it does what you need.

http://www.highcriteria.com/

Regards,
The Old Fogducker

BOAC
20th Jan 2004, 22:24
Thanks 'TOF' - spoonerisms carefully avoided - that's one nifty programme! Worth the $11.95 I think. I just KNEW some clever ** would have found a way!

With that and a nice Freeware audio file editor I have found 'Audacity' (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) I think I'm there

The Old Fogducker
21st Jan 2004, 09:58
BOAC:

Yes, you have to watch that name!

Glad to be able to assist you. Total Recorder is used at some radio stations to record/log their entire day's programming for legal reasons.

One of the local FM stations uses it, and in one year of constant use, it has not crashed once.

I recorded 8 hours of streaming audio one day while I was work. That was very early in my exposure to the program, and had selected "record as .wav file" rather than MP3. That was one huge file when I got home! I actually was silly enough to try and listen to it .... took what seemed to be 3 hours for the computer to manipulate the file before playing!

Anyway, I'm sure it will meet your needs quite handily.

Regards,
Fog