PDA

View Full Version : Those DAMN pop up ads!!

Aerofoil
20th Jan 2004, 00:46
Hi all

I was wondering if there is some sort of downloadable software to stop those BLOODY pop up adverts from popping up during your web surfing??
Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jan 2004, 01:00
Dave,

A lot of people like the Google Toolbar, since it will block popups.

I would suggest using it in conjunction with LavaSoft's Ad-Aware (http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/)

Popup blockers can hide potential problems with Malware on your computer too.

Take Care,

Richard

Aerofoil
20th Jan 2004, 02:32
Thanks NAC,I
Iv downloaded Ad-Aware and it seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks again

Dave

AIRWAY
20th Jan 2004, 02:44
Hello,

Just bought a new laptopand guess what, yes you guessed it right as soon as i switch the net on i had the pop ups.

Im just downloading Zone Alert hopefuly it should solve the problem.

:rolleyes:

Timothy
20th Jan 2004, 03:08
Front_Seat_Dreamer

I rest my case ;)

Timothy

PPRuNe Towers
20th Jan 2004, 03:18
One for the FAQ's then FSD:ok: :ok:

Regards
Rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jan 2004, 03:28
AIRWAY,

Do you get the popups even without opening IE?

If you do, then you just need to switch your Messenger Service off.

Go Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services

Then Find:

Messenger

Right click and go to Properties

In there change it's Startup Type from Automatic to Manual

Take Care,

Richard

AIRWAY
20th Jan 2004, 19:55
NAC,

Do you get the popups even without opening IE?

Correct and many thanks for the advice. Those pop ups were getting on my nerves and it was a constant thing.

I have installed Zone Alert yesterday and in the space of an hour and a half i had 38 intrusions blocked :mad:

Regards,
Pedro

PPRuNe Towers
20th Jan 2004, 22:23
I've done some checking for you I.E types.

There is no chance of pop up blocking until XP's Service Pack 2 and this is scheduled for 'the summer.':( :( For Mac users Microsoft has halted any development of I.E - this was announced several months ago but at least you have a raft of well supported alternatives.

For PC users you'll have to stick with third party tools whether executable software or one of the add on toolbars from folks like Google.

Alternatively you can opt for one of the modern highspeed browsers with tabbed windows. Here at the Towers we've made it clear which option we suggest for getting the most out of the site.

One final point, especially if this thread becomes part of an FAQ. If you are running software that blocks pop ups and you find some parts of PPRuNe are missing it's down to the software/settings on your machine. Most common occurence is for 'reply' or 'new topic' captions to disappear but many and varied are the effects!

Regards
Rob Lloyd

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Jan 2004, 00:24
Rob,

One other thing. For people with a Broadband Account, the best solution is a hardware firewall, as in a router.

It will block those messenger popups, and it will stop hacker attacks.

Take Care,

Richard

Daysleeper
21st Jan 2004, 05:02
before I post this I would like to apologise.

to block pop up ads.

Throw , PC out window, go shopping buy a Mac, use Safari. Hey presto no pop ups. (and you already look cooler)

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Daysleeper, becoming a mac addict.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Jan 2004, 09:31
Daysleeper,

and you already look cooler

Which one were you again?

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyimages/502.gif

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Richard

P.S. The original thread:

Mac Eye for the Windows Guy (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109423)

(That sure was classic TCS) :ok:

Daysleeper
21st Jan 2004, 16:34
Hmm I like the leopard print shirt wonder if they have it in my size.

PPRuNe Towers
21st Jan 2004, 17:44
Today's competitiion: Explain Queereye to the baffled foreigners on the forum in 25 words or less.

The English speaking world does understand the dual concepts of reality and makeover shows along with the cringe - especially the Brits who invented them.

I tried the competition but had to ban myself when I read it. I may be gone some time :cool: :cool:

Regards
Rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Jan 2004, 02:01
Rob,

How about:

Five gay men, out to make over the world — one straight guy at a time.

They are the Fab Five: an elite team of gay men dedicated to extolling the simple virtues of style, taste and class.

Each week their mission is to transform a style-deficient and culture-deprived straight man from drab to fab in each of their respective categories: fashion, food & wine, interior design, grooming and culture.

Any one of those will do. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. That show is the most fun I have had watching TV in a very long time.

Splat
22nd Jan 2004, 02:20
Another option is to run a browser with a built in stopper. Slimbrowser from FlashPeak does it very nicely, and in the event that you want the popup, they are easy to retrieve too.

Splat

E-Liam
22nd Jan 2004, 03:22
Hi Aerofoil,

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip), unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give me a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. It'll highlight any potential mal/spy/adware and, usually, clues to virii as well. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam