PDA

View Full Version : In search of a photo

Bluejay
19th Jan 2004, 22:55
I don't know if anybody can help me, I am searching for a photograph that depicts my Dad standing with his Squadron mates in front of a double line of Harriers of 1(F) Sqn, apparantly it is quite a famous photo and I would like to obtain a copy to give to my Dad as a present (I hope he doesn't read this!!!)

I have seen it in the 1 Sqn history book, unfortunately though I never thought to make a note of who the photo is credited to :mad: and have now given the book to my Dad to read.

Anyway, if anybody could help I would be most appreciative

Thanks in advance

Bluejay

Gainesy
19th Jan 2004, 23:00
Try calling 1Sqn at Wittering?
If its the one I think it is, its based on a pic of 1Sqn SE.5s in WW1 and the Harrier pilots adopted similar poses had similar dogs in attendance etc. SEs and Harriers lined up tail to tail.

Bluejay
19th Jan 2004, 23:02
yeah thats the one, I will give your suggestion a go and see what happens

Thanks

Gainesy
20th Jan 2004, 15:29
Ask for the squadron adjutant;failing that, the Station Community Relations Officer should be able to help.

Archimedes
20th Jan 2004, 20:29
Isn't it Cottesmore, rather than Wittering these days?

Pic credit in the later version of Mike Shaw's book is just 'BAe'.

As I assume that , in order to meet your request, BAe would wish to set up an IPT, before delivering a photo of Hunter 9s, several years later than required and with additional costs not factored into the original contract, you might be better off with 1(F).

FJJP
21st Jan 2004, 07:50
1 Sqn is at Cottesmore. Contact the Sqn Adj and ask him. I would suspect that the photo in question is hanging on the Sqn office walls or in a Sqn photo album.

Gainesy
21st Jan 2004, 17:32
Sorry BJ, I forgot they moved. Anyway, with the RAF's new & improved civilianised phone network, you'll probably get through to HMP Kinloss. :)

Bluejay
21st Jan 2004, 21:52
Thanks Gainsey and no problem. I tried to call, MOD operator was about as good as..................well I will leave that for you to figure out!! Lots of numbers for 1 Sqn but she couldn't even suggest one that may be of use!

Anyway, having spoken about it with my dear Mother which proved most useful, she provided me with an e-mail address so I am going to write to them as soon as I get the opportunity (thanks Mum xx)

Cheers for your help and suggestions

Bluejay