PDA

View Full Version : Experienced on type?

Fiske
19th Jan 2004, 22:47
When starting out on a new type of aircraft how many hours are needed on that particular type to be regarded as sufficiently experienced to gain employment?

For example most airline recruitment adverts state they are looking for people with 500hrs on type, A320/B737.

But, bmibaby recently announced they would consider people with 250-300hrs on type.

I know this all depends on market forces at the time and the more hrs you have the better, but is there usually an optimum amount of hrs to have? Less than 200hrs on type equals no chance of employment?

Once you have the amount of golden hrs on type does your total time matter?! e.g 750tt 500hrs on type

A bit of a convoluted question, but hopefully someone will understand it!

Leo8
20th Jan 2004, 00:07
Not sure I can really help you that much however, I think a lot of airlines vary. The one I work for required a type rating and took me on with only 15hrs on type.

To be honest, I am not really sure why some of them impose a certain number of hours for first officers. Guess it makes sense if they want to fast track people to command. If its just cause they think they will fly through line training it often isnt the case. Its tough to break old habits. I line trained as fast (and faster than some) as the others employed at the same time as me. All had several hundered + hours on type except me.

dreamingA380
20th Jan 2004, 00:38
Leo8

did you buy your own rating? if so which one? I've been trying to make up my mind if and which rating will maximise my chances. Its such a gamble as you well know! and the odd happy ending like yours would help my depression!.

Fiske
20th Jan 2004, 01:57
Leo8 thanks for the reply, are you rated on a turbo prop or jet?

Was the line training pretty hectic, I imagine it's probably harder than the actual initial rating itself?

Did you find that the co. that employed you was more interested in your total flying time or was it more the whole package i.e age, personality, psych tests etc?

Thanks in advance

Leo8
20th Jan 2004, 06:40
I didnt buy my own type rating. I went through a 50/50 sponsorship that was run by Atlantic Flight training in Coventry. I was very lucky to be given a job straight after training on the ATR. They paid for the type rating and I did about 15 hours before they made me redundent as they had to stop operating the aircraft to due costs. I was really unhappy as I didnt think I stood much of a chance with so little time on the ATR.

I was very lucky and managed to secure an interview within 2 months. I was rather surprised by the casual nature of the interview. There was no sim check or aptitude testing. Only a very simple group discussion (done with cabin crew and flight crew at the interview day), a presentation about the company and a 25min interview. No tough technical questions. Just stuff from the type rating. I was fortunate to be offered the job.

The line training wasnt all that hard. I'd say it was less work than the type rating but it was of a different kind.

Goodluck on the job search. Hope something comes up soon.

dreamingA380
20th Jan 2004, 21:14
Thanks Leo8!
i love a happy ending :-)