PDA

View Full Version : Accident investigation.

compressor stall
19th Jan 2004, 13:45
Reading the revised investigation into VH-BBI at Lake Evil in the NT.

Noticed this new addition:
The new evidence presented to the ATSB indicates that the witnesses who reported hearing the engine noise were about 1000 metres from the aircraft and any change in engine noise would have taken about 3 seconds to reach them. That would indicate that the pilot may have closed the throttle soon after the aircraft entered the dive.

Excuse me if I have missed something here, but isn't that pretty bloody obvious? How could they miss something as that first time around? There are plenty of dogs' balls around that community to compare.

Wouldn't any investigator worth his/her salt ask a witness (especially one of the more reliable type - a pilot) whether he/she recalled hearing the noise cease before, concurrent or after the accident?

CS

Desert Duck
19th Jan 2004, 18:20
I think the investigation was carried out from the comfort of a Canberra office.

Basic I would have thought (as you suggest), but on site investiation helps you to focus on the scene.

I guess that is why the coppers go to a great expense the fly to remote scenes to investigate deaths rather than use the phone.